• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
This time their victim is Animal Crossing. And yes, it needs its own thread.

I have been sitting here for the past 2 hours trying to connect to someone's island and, unfortunately, I failed to succeed in pretty much all of my attempts. It worked once, but I got disconnected right after... so I guess it didn't work at all!

Here is the process of getting online and how long it fucking takes:

1. You have to talk to an NPC, go through a bunch of menus to let him know you want to visit someone, then you type in the island code. This takes at least 40 seconds.

2. After you type in the code, the game tries to connect you to the island, and this is when all hell breaks loose. Here you get:

- Various network error codes
- Lost connection to destination island
- Island is full (even though the gate was just opened)
- Interference (basically someone is using the Nookphone in the island you are trying to visit (ie: they are chatting), this is the most frequent error you will get)

(if you visit gaming boards you will see this is all widespread, it's not exclusive to my experience)

3. If you escape all those errors and manage to connect to an online island, you will have to wait for a loading screen that can take around 1-2 minutes.

4. Now you are in, back in control of your character and you feel blessed! But wait, someone else is trying to join the island! So now you have to wait for their game to load which is another 1-2 minutes loading screen.

5. Everybody is in now. You pray you don't get disconnected. (I did)

So how is this even acceptable? They shipped a game with broke online play, it does not fucking work, and they have the audacity to charge for online play?

I have been playing Animal Crossing since the first one, and what I described above is honestly nothing new to veterans of the series. It worked just like that in New Leaf (the 3DS entry released in 2012), absolutely nothing changed. It's so similar that it feels like Nintendo are reusing the same code from 2012. I'm not joking.

It's been about 8 years since the last Animal Crossing game, I think it would be fair to expect more from New Horizon online capabilities. I'm not even asking for much (because much could be done), I just want it to fucking work.

With all that said, how do you feel about Nintendo CONSISTENTLY AND CONSTANTLY ruining every online mode they touch? (repeat: they charge for it) I'm already worried for their NEXT VICTIM.

And lastly, how is your experience with New Horizon online so far?

I'm fuming over a game that should be relaxing.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
idk i tried it on first day and it worked instantly. didnt even have to enter a dodo code, i just opened my gates and my friends came in to tell me how awful my design sense is

no one on my twitter TL had issues apart from the fact that there's a relatively long (like 30-40 sec) load screen when someone joins the island

Tracker_TD

Oct 25, 2017
Only issue I've had thus far is the long-ass time it takes for everyone to join, which really needs to be sorted.

Oct 29, 2017
I've joined someone's island without a single issue today. And had two friends join mine. Not seen a single person say they have an issue on another forum I visit.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
Sorry you're having trouble. I had zero issues, and I'm not seeing many reports of people who had.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I had zero issues beside the long ass dialogue to open the gates

Feenix

Prophet of Truth
Nov 17, 2017
Can I mail gifts /letters to online player/friends? (Not my island residents)

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
I've been playing online almost constantly since yesterday and I haven't had any issues or lag, even connecting to people across the globe.

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Gotta agree. I've hopped around some islands with friends today and had some visitors and it's been consistently rough.

Ignoring any kind of connection issues (which we had with every visit), it's just a bad system. Having to manually open up gates, closes them if you do anything else that requires online, having to search for friends that might possibly, randomly have their gates open... meh.

I dunno if I'd call it busted based on the first couple of days release when Nintendo Online (and other services) are being overloaded. But it's typically obtuse.

Piscus

Oct 27, 2017
I joined my friend's island last night with no codes and no issues. We had 6 of us running around the island, and the other five even bothered to use the app to chat lol

I think it may just be you, OP

Oct 27, 2017
Maybe you have shitty internet. I went to a few islands yesterday, invited people to mine with Dodo codes and had no issues whatsoever. I dunno what to say. It's not a "Nintendo" issue, aside from the amount of text. You or the people you were trying to visit have connection issues is all

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
Its not only the lag and technical issues. The online mechanics with one person controlling the camera at a time are fundamentally lame. I'm enjoying this game as I did the past Animal Crossing games but this series is not living to its potential. It reminds me of Pokemon in that regard. It's not bad, but it could be so much better.

BRSxIgnition

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Must be embarrassing to post a rant about how every issue you're having is the game and Nintendo's fault only to get told nah man it's just you and your own connection.

On that note, I haven't had any issues so far, and the 40 second setup is about par for the course with AC and Nintendo - you knew what you were getting yourself into.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oct 27, 2017
Ignoring any kind of connection issues (which we had with every visit), it's just a bad system. Having to manually open up gates, closes them if you do anything else that requires online, having to search for friends that might possibly, randomly have their gates open... meh.
It's really not that complicated
Opening the gates is basically making a room/server for up to 8 friends to join while it's open
You can restrict it by codes, allow any friends, or allow any best friends

That's it. It's incredibly simple

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
SĂŁo Paulo, Brazil
I know that doesn't help you in any way, but I haven't had any issues with online or local multiplayer.

There's a lot of ceremony around people arriving at your island, but it doesn't bother me too much.

Cambot

Oct 27, 2017
Not to pile on, but I opened my gate and two people from my friends visited within 20 minutes. They brought me rare fruit!

Don't try to ruin the only thing I have going this week, haha.

OP
OP

Everywhere

Banned
Jun 12, 2019
User Banned (3 Days): Hostility, prior infractions
Must be embarrassing to post a rant about how every issue you're having is the game and Nintendo's fault only to get told nah man it's just you and your own connection.

In that note, I haven't had any issues so far, and the 40 second setup is about par for the course with AC and Nintendo - you knew what you were getting yourself into.
Yeah I guess all my friends and and people from GameFAQs are super embarrassed right now. Fuck off honey. But glad to know it works fine for some of you. Hopefully I will get it to "work" too.

kiaaa

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't tried online at all, but the fact that I had to push my Switch ahead a day just to open up local multiplayer was incredibly stupid.

MattAces

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Malaysia
Played with 3 other person online, we visited each other and stole each other resources.
0 lag 0 disconnect. Traded coconut.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
Its not only the lag and technical issues. The online mechanics with one person controlling the camera at a time are fundamentally lame. I'm enjoying this game as I did the past Animal Crossing games but this series is not living to its potential. It reminds me of Pokemon in that regard. It's not bad, but it could be so much better.

the issue isn't the camera, it's the fact that only the "leader" can use the menu and talk to villagers

edit: I found out that both players in couch coop do indeed get to use their tools together

Last edited:

Steven

Oct 27, 2017
We visited an online island and while we didn't have connection issues, the whole system really really sucks. The chat app, the coming and going, the loading screens.

Even when it works it's an overall shitty experience.

Acido

Oct 31, 2017
the issue isn't the camera, it's the fact that only the "leader" can use items and tools and talk
I didn't realize that. That's even lamer. You know, after Splatoon 1 and 2 I was excited that this team was building experience with multiplayer and online, but in retrospective, and as much as I adore those two games, they weren't a good sign for Animal Crossing's MP lol.

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo online is indeed bootycheeks again.

People here saying that have no problems as if that absolves Nintendo of awful awful planning again.

What is the definition of insanity again?

was drop in drop out multiplayer ala monster hunter really that hard, Nintendo?!?!?

Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo online is indeed bootycheeks again.

People here saying that have no problems as if that absolves Nintendo of awful awful planning again.

What is the definition of insanity again?

was drop in drop out multiplayer ala monster hunter really that hard, Nintendo?!?!?

But why the experience of a(n apparently) very few people outweight the overall positive experience of the (apparently) vast majority? I'm positively sure someone must have experienced at least some kind of problems with MHW's online, so why is that better than AC's?

Antoo

May 1, 2019
What is funny is how the online system is basically the exact same as it was in New Leaf. I would have expected improvements but it's still cumbersome as ever.

Gearkeeper 8A

Oct 27, 2017
What you mean by potential??
most fans are happy by the game and how improve on past ones, most complains are from missing some content from past games.

Thiago

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I can't say much because I only had one online experience with the game so far, but the only thing in your list that happened to me is the loading.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
My only issue is the loading time. You have to stop what you're doing and wait a full two minutes for the person to arrive.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
It has worked flawlessly for me. Only issue I have with it is that the loading into other people's islands is a bit too long. That's about it...

RoboitoAM

Oct 25, 2017
It worked okay for me but you can't ever have a conversation about Nintendo and online without somebody telling you that it's strictly your fault.

Don't worry OP, people still defend Smash Bros absolutely garbage online as well.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
It's obtuse enough to be a barrier to just popping over to deop off some materials for someone. Mine craft realms should be a model - islands stored online and you can set permissions (randoms/friends/dodo codes etc) and people can visit regardless if you're playing or not.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
It's slow but it works. The only real annoyance is when someone leaves or arrives, it should never stop the other people to do something. Who cares to watch people come and go ?

RROCKMAN

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
But why the experience of a(n apparently) very few people outweight the overall positive experience of the (apparently) vast majority? I'm positively sure someone must have experienced at least some kind of problems with MHW's online, so why is that better than AC's?

The reason why I brought up MHW is cause it's type of online would have been fantastic here

In MHW when you start a quest you are essentially starting a online room anyone can join at any point.

Opening your gate in Animal Crossing should be just like opening a quest in Mon Hun. You can lock it so that only those with the passcode can join if you are so inbliged or you can just open it to the public. Then people could look up what islands are available for visiting and then pick one and go.

The other thing about Mon Hun is that when someone joins your quest the quest doesn't pause, it keeps going. Here when someone joins your island you are immediately forced to stop what ever you are doing, close your open windows just so they can come in.

It is 200% asinine in this day and age for a game like this. This is something the game should have been designed around from the start. But Ninty purposely didn't because they can't seem to get online understood at all. And people keep giving them passes over it. I promise you had I known online was once again handled this terribly I wouldn't have brought the game.

But that's my fault I guess for not looking it up beforehand. I must be insane myself.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
My disappointment is the fact that in order to do 5+ players each person is required to have their own switch AND game in order to play.
I was hoping to be able to play 2 players on 1 switch and being able to visit/have visitors but you can't.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Some of you are really offended by the fact that most people seem to have no Issues with the online.