• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Total sales for the game are : 5,004,720 which means that the game sold an additional 70k last week.

Evolution of the game sales since launch:

z_5efc4c1eda8e4.jpg

It entered the top 10 of best-selling games in Japan. With digital it is already be in the top 5 (confimation on August 7th).

Last edited:

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
It's going to outsell Pokemon Red/Green/Blue when all is said and done and be the best selling game of all time in Japan

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Switch crossed 14m units at Famitsu alongside it. 14,050,313 units, over 90k units for the week.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
This game is why Nintendo doesn't have to reveal jack shit for the rest of the year lol.

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
They better reveal some stuff lol. I still have 3 Switch vouchers that expire at the end of July. I suspect a lot of others have them too.

Yeah, the voucher situation sucks. I used my last one on Xenoblade. They might announce a game or two in July but I wouldn't hold my breath for much more than that.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
I'd really like to know the japanese digital share of this game. 5 million physical copies at retail is some number alright.

And if it goes like New Leaf, this game might continue to sell decently for years.

Zaimokuza

May 14, 2020
The japanese market has shrunk so much that it has started retroactively lowering sales of past videogames, allowing even a niche series like AC to top their all time charts.

Anyway, that's seriously impressive and also singlehandedly explains why Nintendo is asking third parties to make games for women

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
The idea of Nintendo not revealing games because of AC (and not you know, the complex logistics and risks related to a worldwide pandemic event) is peak ERA.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
Just crazy - DQ, MH and Pokemon look like chumps compared to AC:NH lol.
What as success story.

Apr 26, 2020
The japanese market has shrunk so much that it has started retroactively lowering sales of past videogames, allowing even a niche series like AC to top their all time charts.

Anyway, that's seriously impressive and also singlehandedly explains why Nintendo is asking third parties to make games for women

Cant decide of that ''AC is a niche series'' part is satire or not

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
this means the game either has, or will next week, pas the lifetime physical sales of these two games:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf [All Versions] - 5.067.988
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! - 5.082.322

and in a few weeks, these games:

Animal Crossing: Wild World - 5.241.655
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire - 5.337.045
Pokémon Black/White - 5.490.455

Mekanos

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 17, 2018
The idea of Nintendo not revealing games because of AC (and not you know, the complex logistics and risks related to a worldwide pandemic event) is peak ERA.

Nobody here said that. Jokes bro.

this means the game either has, or will next week, pas the lifetime physical sales of these two games:

Animal Crossing: New Leaf [All Versions] - 5.067.988
Brain Age 2: More Training in Minutes a Day! - 5.082.322

and in a few weeks, these games:

Animal Crossing: Wild World - 5.241.655
Pokémon Ruby/Sapphire - 5.337.045
Pokémon Black/White - 5.490.455

Huh, Black/White outsold R/S in Japan? That's crazy to me.

OP
OP
Lelouch0612

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Borrowing this chart from hiska-kun , here is the impact that Animal Crossing had on Switch hardware sales:

2020-07-01-17-55-59.jpg

Should also be noted that the Switch is supply constrained for months now.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
The following graphs may be slightly NSFW...
Famitsu_-_Animal_Crossing_LTD_physical_sales_in_Japan.png

Famitsu_-_Animal_Crossing_weekly_physical_sales_in_Japan.png

Bonus: New Horizons VS New Leaf + Wild World combined... starting from next week New Horizons will fall behind at retail, but outselling two of the top 10 best-selling games of all time, combined, for 15 weeks is just insane. It might last even longer when including digital sales.
Famitsu_-_Animal_Crossing_LTD_physical_sales_in_Japan_BONUS.png

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo + TPC were already hovering around 50% marketshare but I wouldn't be surprised to see that go up to 60% or more in the next few years.

Everyone else has given up on catering to the market.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Can we end the "NSO is slowing down sales" meme and start the "Nintendo Switch Install base is slowing down Animal Crossing sales" ?

tzare

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Catalunya
Just like with Pokemon, both owned by my daughters, i just don't understand the appeal, it is not really a very gamey experience if that makes sense. But congratulations, it is a really outstanding success, that is an insane amount of copies in a short period. I wonder when will they put a bit of that money to allow a backup and transfer mode.

Last edited:

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017
Just like with Pokemon, both owned by my daughters, i just don't understand the appeal, it is not really a very gamey experience if that makes sense. But congratulations, it is a really outstanding success, that is an infant amount of copies in a short period. I wonder when will they put a bit of that money to allow a backup and transfer mode.
It's not for everyone. I feel like it's one of those that you either get or you don't.

Obligatory: the animals are still crossing.