• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
My hype was tepid at first, because I was worried maybe I won't really be as into it anymore. But as it's getting closer and closer, the hype's been naturally building up anyway and now I'm super excited again.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My hype was tepid at first, because I was worried maybe I won't really be as into it anymore. But as it's getting closer and closer, the hype's been naturally building up anyway and now I'm super excited again.
I too am hyped to suspend my real life to go live with my new animal friends.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
How is this not up for pre-order yet? Gotta know if my voucher will work!

Oct 25, 2017
It's just a very chill game. Basic loop is getting in debt to buy a house, collecting bugs, fish, fossils and ore to add to the museum and sell to pay of your debt, get in more debt to expand your house, and buy new furniture to decorate it and also buy clothes. And you can build up your town as well. Plant flowers and fruit trees to sell as well and just beautify your town. And then interact with other villagers.

You just kind of do what you want and have a good time.

So it's basically a very chill game.

I have one Nintendo game voucher and debating on maybe using it on this.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
I am so thirsty for any new information.
I remember when Animal Crossing New Leaf came out.
I was in college, and I remember having no intention of buying it. But the night it came out, I smoked a bowl with my girlfriend (at the time) at her parents' house.
She passed out super early, but I couldn't sleep because I was too stoned. So I booted up my 3DS and started browsing the eshop. I couldn't resist spontaneously buying it for some reason. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep while it was downloading and woke up at like 4 AM with the download completed. I remember booting up the game for the first time and seeing my town in complete morning darkness. The music was so good and comfy. Loved that game.

I'm super excited to craft some furniture and see all the new additions.

That sounds super cozy. Early morning Animal Crossing is some good Animal Crossing.

Soltis

Feb 28, 2019
United States
So hyped. Been a while since I've been this hyped, where it's like my body is just *humming* in anticipation.

I'm contemplating beachy/nautical names for my town. I'm still undecided, though I have a few favorites.

Oct 25, 2017
This picture kind of makes me want a cozy forest setting (kinda like that campsite in New Leaf) rather than an island.

With the amount of customization in this game, I'm sure you could easily create a cozy forest within the island!

I'd also like to direct everyone's attention to the back of the stunning AC Switch console (hope nobody minds me posting a NSFW image):

8-5.jpg

Notice—there are no less than seven islands represented on the back, all separated by a contiguous body of water. And hey, there's a sailboat too!

Now, let's take a gander at this particular section of the cover art:

images

And, of course, the title of the game itself: New Horizons. Plural!

This has been my grand conspiracy ever since they first unveiled the game at E3, but at this point I'm totally convinced: there will be multiple islands. And if that's the case, it stands to reason that each island will have some unique characteristic or attribute to justify its existence.

This is all just a very long-winded way of saying that I would not be surprised if there's a dedicated forest island for us to explore.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
With the amount of customization in this game, I'm sure you could easily create a cozy forest within the island!

I'd also like to direct everyone's attention to the back of the stunning AC Switch console (hope nobody minds me posting a NSFW image):

8-5.jpg

Notice—there are no less than seven islands represented on the back, all separated by a contiguous body of water. And hey, there's a sailboat too!

Now, let's take a gander at this particular section of the cover art:

images

And, of course, the title of the game itself: New Horizons. Plural!

This has been my grand conspiracy ever since they first unveiled the game at E3, but at this point I'm totally convinced: there will be multiple islands. And if that's the case, it stands to reason that each island will have some unique characteristic or attribute to justify its existence.

This is all just a very long-winded way of saying that I would not be surprised if there's a dedicated forest island for us to explore.
You'll probably live on the center island of the back of the 3DS, seeing as it has a lighthouse and the newly released trailer features an island map that shows to have a place for a lighthouse to the right.

iM3KKMW.png

So you're probably right. There probably will be an island with pine trees where you can go camping or something.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
I really think we'll be able to have and manually control a sailboat. Sort of like a mini Wind Waker setup.

my first thought after reading this was "pfff, no". but then i thought about it and you know what? that's such a good idea lmao, i'd love to have a tiny boat to visit islands on. especially if you could get rare deep water fish or something.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
I'm hyped. I'm willing to try a proper Animal Crossing title again after not clicking with the DS game I I rented over a decade ago and enjoying Pocket Camp for awhile until it turned to garbage.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
If we get to sail a boat we'd better be able to fish from it out in the middle of the sea and catch whales and shit. I want a mini orca swimming in my house.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder when folks will have review copies? It's not a "cram it into a week" type of experience

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Contemplated requesting a month+ ban, but fuck it. I'm all in for the hype train.

It's been 7 long years.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
my first thought after reading this was "pfff, no". but then i thought about it and you know what? that's such a good idea lmao, i'd love to have a tiny boat to visit islands on. especially if you could get rare deep water fish or something.

it would so cool if you could go to randomized instance islands with your friends where there's unique/rare materials, abandoned furniture, bugs, fish etc etc.

hussien-11

Oct 27, 2017
Jordan
I never managed to get into this genre, everytime I tried I felt "this is not for me". This time... I have a different feel, I'm encouraged to get the game more than usual... ,maybe because of the island setting? or because I feel the play style of accessing the game regularly and doing small things for short amount of time will suit me better in the near future... I don't know.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hey, so I don't want to be that guy who "rains on the parade", but can someone explain the appeal of Animal Crossing?

Is it basically a town building game? What's the gameplay loop like? I looked at some of the videos, but to me the game kinda looks like side activities you'd find in some RPGs.

I feel like I am missing something because there is such a fervor for this new game.
Animal Crossing is this weird thing where they basically invented all the predatory psychological manipulation techniques of F2P mobile games but as a full-priced game before the advent of micro-transactions or smart phones.

it's addicting.

Droidian

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Dec 28, 2017
So I was half asleep watching someone record around Nintendo of New York when they come across an Animal crossing Sticker book. I woke up real quick. Only $7+ online so I'll get that for the Target animal crossing book they give for preorders.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
K5l2RGl.png

Look at that "Save Data Settings." Did they hear all our cries?!

MA2we6p.png

Bulletin Board with notification bird!

hvS97sj.png

Optional scenic camera?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Gotta say, I really don't like that the inventory is still so small and now clogged up by all those crafting materials. There's reason to believe inventory might be expandable but I hope it's actually enough to deal with the new crafting mechanic.
They've shown backpacks, so expansion seems no-brainer. I'm on the fence about crafting, especially considering how much I disliked Pocket Camp. Hoping the teams thought of crafting separately.

Interested what the roadmap for content is going to be for this game. Hoping for a decade of legs. New Leaf almost got there. Welcome Amiibo added a lot

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I'm personally excited about crafting, though I'm not mega into AC. I played and enjoyed New Leaf, though I wasn't an obsessive fan who played it for years and clocked hundreds or even thousands of hours like that YouTube grandma :D So for me crafting will give me more to do.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
My island will of course be the haven for all stranded animals trapped in the purgatory limbo that Animal Crossing we all know is.

Thus it shall be so called; Purgatorio

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
They've shown backpacks, so expansion seems no-brainer. I'm on the fence about crafting, especially considering how much I disliked Pocket Camp. Hoping the teams thought of crafting separately.

Interested what the roadmap for content is going to be for this game. Hoping for a decade of legs. New Leaf almost got there. Welcome Amiibo added a lot
You'd think it'd be a no-brainer, but there's absolutely no reason for the lack of expansion in previous games and yet we've been stuck with having to store items in letters up until now, so who knows really. A lot of people point to the backpacks as evidence that they're finally adding it, which I do think is possible, but it would still be its own irritation if expansion is tied to fashion items.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What's got everyone believing that a direct is more likely to happen later in the month?

The game is going up for preorder on the eshop (in Japan, at least) on 2/8. Don't they usually do directs beforehand?

toythatkills

Oct 26, 2017
London, UK
Still not sure what my island's gonna be named, I'll do the same thing I did in New Leaf: use a random word generator until something feels like it fits. My New Leaf village ended up being called Carousel, which was very cute, and felt right.

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
What's got everyone believing that a direct is more likely to happen later in the month?

The game is going up for preorder on the eshop (in Japan, at least) on 2/8. Don't they usually do directs beforehand?
A lot of people assume we'll get a general direct first. Also, digital preorder timing seems to vary a lot from what I've seen but game-specific Directs tend to be pretty consistent at close to one month before launch.

(Also an insider that people here seem to put stock in said two directs this month with the AC one on the 20th)

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
Just in time for Valentine's Day is my guess!

I'm seriously dying for the pre-release Animal Crossing Direct. I'm so damn excited for the game, the new themed Switch, everything!

Jun 2, 2019
I have started dreaming about the game so yeah, i'm in

I'd probably call my town/island like some star or constellation, being the last one Centauri. Maybe I'll go with venus, Ursa Maior or something.

Not particularly bothered with the crafting aspect, that's not what I don't like about Pocket Camp, but I sure hope there is some classic gameplay mixed in, part of what I love about Animal Crossing is that cozy routine

Anyways, less than one month to go!

Potterson

Oct 28, 2017
Can't wait. I always wanted to really dig into AC but DS and 3DS were super uncomfortable for me to play so I haven't spent much time in New Leaf or previous games.

bxsonic

Oct 30, 2017
Not sure what I'm gonna call my island. But I'm buying this day 1. Have my eshop voucher ready for it. Can't wait to play with my wife and son.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
So ready to just chill out in the evenings with this game going about my AC business for a few hours before bed.

Island name I'm torn between Lordran and Kanto

Seri

Oct 30, 2017
I'm so excited!! Ready to relax with new animal friends. I'm hoping for Beux to make a return. Is he confirmed? Also for island name I'm doing a town name from one of my favorite games.

Kaz Mk II

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Gonna name my town "Oddity".

That's what I named my most recent started Valley farm. I plan to have a stranger spookier town in this game if I can make it happen.