• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Animal Crossing: New Horzions releases March 20th and it's coming up soon, I can see the hype growing every passing day and I think it's about time for a hype thread where we speculate about the game, what we will name our island, our hopes, etc.

Please note: Any new information must have a new thread posted about it, this thread isn't to contain all new information in it, however it is okay to talk about said new information.

Every week I will post a new question about the game.

Bring on the hype!

Question 1: What are you going to name your island?
My Answer: Startopia

Question 2: What starting Town fruit do you want?
My Answer: Oranges, (I'd be cool with peaches as well).

Question 3: What two villagers do you want to start on your island?

Question 4: Will you be Terraforming?
My answer: Yes!

Question 5: What hair style will you choose?

Join the AC Discord: https://discord.gg/tf2TRgF

Full website: http://animal-crossing.com/new-horizons/

t1584694800z4.png

animal-crossing-new-horizons-6.jpg

Nintendo Switch: Animal Crossing themed Switch

Pre-loading is up now!

Thanks to Robin64 for the picture!

Z9zmdkf.png

Nintendo Direct

New information
Features new to the series!

• Life on the Island: Nook Inc. confidently recommends a trip to a remote deserted island. And that's not just because it's the only company that offers this type of package! On the island, life is as peaceful and relaxing as it gets. Since the island is deserted, you can create your new life from the very beginning – just like a pioneer! Time flows as naturally as in the real world, including seasons and day and night cycles that mirror real time.
  • DIY: By collecting specific materials around the island, you can craft a wide variety of things, including tools and furniture. DIY workshops teach you how to enrich your life by crafting DIY recipes. As you become more familiar with DIY, you can even learn special skills like changing the color of your DIY furniture or decorating them with custom designs.
  • NookPhone: Nook Inc. will provide some basic necessities and services, including your very own NookPhone. It has standard apps, like a camera and map, but over time, new applications will be added to support your island needs. The camera can be used to take in-game photos all over the island – you can even add fancy filters like all the cool kids are doing!
  • Nook Miles: For players looking for more concrete goals, and to help offer guidance and inspiration on the island, you can take advantage of the Nook Mileage program. As you fulfill certain challenges and experiences, you will earn miles to pay off the cost of the getaway package or, eventually, to exchange for in-game rewards. Rewards range from in-game Nook Inc. merchandise and helpful items that can enrich your time on the island, to tickets that you can use to visit distant islands.
  • Island Tours: These "mystery island tours" are at the whim of the pilot, so you never know where you will end up! Once on these smaller islands, feel free to gather as many items as you want – like DIY materials and creatures – and take them back with you to your island.
  • Party Play: With the Nook Inc. Deserted Island Getaway package, up to eight people can live on one island.* In Party Play, you can call up to three other players to explore the island at the same time. Whoever calls the others will be the Leader, making the others the Followers. It's easy to change out the Leader, letting others quickly take charge. Any creatures or items found by Followers will be stored in a recycle box at the Resident Services building!
  • Land Development: While you can cross rivers on your island by pole-vaulting and climb elevated land using ladders, you can also change the landscape by adding bridges and slopes. Once your island is fully decked out, you'll receive a permit to freely pave your own paths, as well as perform major construction like changing the paths of rivers or building and demolishing cliffs. With your own maintenance and construction permits, you can flex your creative muscles on the land itself, not just the stuff on it.
  • NookLink: Yes, Tom Nook likes to put his name on everything. But when it's a Nook product or service, you know you are getting something that's high quality. With NookLink, which is part of the Nintendo Switch Online app, you can scan a Custom Design QR Code pattern from previous games Animal Crossing: New Leaf or Animal Crossing: Happy Home Designer with your real-life smartphone and then download them to Animal Crossing: New Horizons. When connected online, you can talk with friends who also have the Animal Crossing: New Horizons game with the Nintendo Switch Online smartphone app using your smartphone as a keyboard or for voice chat. NookLink will launch in March, soon after the selected departure included in your Deserted Island Getaway Package.
A detailed breakdown of the Getaway Package experience!

• Choose Your Island: Before boarding your flight to the island, you will choose the island from a range of options. Choosing to live in the Northern or Southern Hemisphere, for example, will affect the timing of the seasons, so select the location that suits you best. When the seasons change on the island, so do the activities. For Northern Hemisphere residents, spring will just be starting when the game launches on March 20, so expect blooming cherry blossoms to show up soon!
  • Orientation: After landing on the island, you will receive a helpful orientation session from the Nook Inc. staff. At this time, you'll be provided with the tent that's included with your getaway package. You can chat with other island residents about where you want to set up your new home, and help them choose their home locations as well.
  • Resident Services: The Resident Services facility is available to support your daily needs 24 hours a day, seven days a week. They provide you with services such as the sale of everyday goods, the purchase of unwanted items and helpful advice.
  • Become a Home Owner: The tent provided to you by Nook Inc. is great, but have you considered a house? Home loans have no deadlines, interest or assessment, and you can pay your loan back at your own pace. A house offers much more space than a tent and also includes storage space for any extra furniture and baggage. Once you own a home, you can channel your inner interior designer, setting up the walls, flooring and furniture however you like. You can also use extension and remodeling services to expand and customize your home even more.
  • Customization Deluxe: Animal Crossing: New Horizons offers more customization options than ever before, from personalizing the look of your character all the way down to skin tone, hairstyle and clothing, to placing buildings and items wherever you want on the island. You can even decorate the inside and outside of your home! Turn that island into a MY land!
  • Airport: This is the first place you will land on the island. (It is an airport, after all.) It's also available to use 24 hours a day, beginning on the day after your arrival. At the airport, you can invite residents of other islands to your own island via the internet or local wireless. You can also travel and visit other islands yourself! Up to eight people can play on a given island at one time**, so feel free to get a good group together and make some fantastic memories.
  • Island-wide Broadcasts: At the start of each day, Mr. Nook, CEO of Nook Inc., will make a broadcast to all residents, updating them with the latest on important island events and advice about how to best enjoy island living.
Features and updates to further your island enjoyment!

• New Residents: When you first land on the island you will only have a few animal residents living there with you. But as you develop your island from the ground up, more neighbors will visit and choose to move in. You can even invite some of the new residents to live there yourself! There's nothing better than a welcoming neighbor.
  • Free Updates: Free updates will be added after the game launches, with seasonal events continually added throughout the year. The first free update will be on launch day, March 20. By installing this update, you can celebrate Bunny Day with a special event in April. If you own both Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp for mobile devices and Animal Crossing: New Horizons, you'll receive special items in each game. Details will be announced at a later date on the official Animal Crossing: Pocket Camp Twitter account.
  • Additional Facilities: As you grow your island, more facilities will be built. This includes a museum showcasing the rich ecosystem of the island, a shop full of ready-made furniture and goods you can't craft yourself, a tailor offering clothing and fashion items, and a campsite where you can invite guests for recreational purposes.
  • Tourists & Events: Your island will not only be home to new residents, but also tourists as well! These temporary visitors are always welcome and can offer up items that cannot be crafted on the island. Visitors can also participate in fun events like Fishing Tourneys and Bug-Offs, which will pop up throughout the year. Through free updates to Animal Crossing: New Horizons, new special events and seasonal guests will be introduced.
  • amiibo Support: Animal Crossing: New Horizons supports amiibo figures and amiibo cards from the Animal Crossing series. You can also invite these familiar faces to Photopia, an island that exists in the game, where you can place models in creative photo shoots.
  • Twitter Takeover: Keep an eye out for social media savvy Tom Nook, who is rumored to take over the @AnimalCrossing Twitter account right after today's video presentation.

Hair Styles so far:

Switch_AnimalCrossingNewHorizons_17.0.jpg

Last edited:

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
[REDACTED]. I call dibs on naming my town [REDACTED]. No one else in the world can use this incredibly generic name.

edit: try stealing the name now creeps

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
I am going to name it what I always name my Animal Crossing villages.
I am not going to tell any of you guys :P dont want anyone taking my glorious town name
I can't wait to just chill and relax to this game, as I pay off my debt to a raccoon
I imagine the direct will be on the 20th, considering the embargo that was mentioned in the other thread.
This and Xenoblade 1 remake are my two most hyped Switch games this year.

Can't wait!

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yaaaaaas this thread.

I think I'll do my usual REDACTED - name of a great REDACTED that also works super well as an AC town name haha.

Last edited:

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Nice thread from a nintendoera legend.
I would like layered towns, not sure if they've said anything about it but I hope so.
I always call my islands after my pets, because I have no creativity.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The name depends a lot on how long we can make it. It will be a bummer if it's still only 8 characters. Though in the end I'll probably go with the same town name I've been using since 2002.

Also a reminder to bookmark this site and listen to the animal crossing music at the correct time of day

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
I'm going to name my island Lilycove! That was my first town name in New Leaf so I'll be making it into a little bit of a tradition now. Plus it sounds more appropriate for an island anyway, lol.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
I almost always name my town related to a video game I was playing at the time. In New Leaf my town was Riften from Skyrim. I will probably call it Norvrandt after FFXIV.

Stat

Oct 25, 2017
Still no idea on my town. I hated my town from New Leaf: Belle.

Anyways, why do people think a direct on the 19th/20th?

I almost always name my town related to a video game I was playing at the time. In New Leaf my town was Riften from Skyrim. I will probably call it Norvrandt after FFXIV.
Just finished playing Binding of Isaac, welcome to my town of Utero!

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
I hope this AC is a huge jump. Not only has been a long ass time since the last AC but it's jumping from the 3DS to the switch. We should be able to see significant improvements.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
Anyways, why do people think a direct on the 19th/20th?

i think zippo dropped those dates as direct dates, and that there would be 2 (so likely one is an ac direct)

also new leaf's huge direct dropped one month before its own release too, so that lends credence for new horizons' direct being one month before release

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm super hyped.

We need to organize a FC sharing thread for this game and organize for the Stalk Market to make some serious Bells. Thanks to a good community and coordination during NL's release I made like a million Bells in short time.

Naming my island Belroe again like my town in NL.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I look forward to setting claim to the island nation of Buttopia, colony of Buttsberg.

Derktron

Banned
Jun 6, 2019
This is my biggest game of 2020 so far. I started to replay the mobile version of the game. Can't wait to play it!!! Now if only Nintendo would stop doing these teasers and release a damn Nintendo Direct or Animal Crossing Direct!!!

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the game I've been hyped the most for months.

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I'm so excited. I have the day booked off work and so does one my mates.

I just really hope the animals have more interesting personalities. Give me the Gamecube villagers back!

Forkball

Oct 25, 2017
Character name, island name, and flag design all decided.

I hope they really go outside the box with features. I honestly don't care much about gathering crafting supplies. The lack of general information makes me think that it's not too big of an upgrade from NeW Leaf outside of some QoL features.

GIVE ME THE DIRECT

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm somewhat excited. Fan of the series, but I found City Folk lackluster and New Leaf was alright. And I'm still unsure if I'll bother paying for the online service

komodothefist

Oct 30, 2017
I'm going to name my town "Mossveil". I know it's cheesy, but judgement can't reach me in Animal Crossing.

Building furniture is neat, but I hope they give us a lot of naturalistic options too. It was really cool that they introduced bamboo in new leaf, so I'm hoping for more things similar to that.

OP
OP
Meelow

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
I would want to name my town Destinyisle but if it's only 8 characters...

Edit: Got it, StarCove Island.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Hey, so I don't want to be that guy who "rains on the parade", but can someone explain the appeal of Animal Crossing?

Is it basically a town building game? What's the gameplay loop like? I looked at some of the videos, but to me the game kinda looks like side activities you'd find in some RPGs.

I feel like I am missing something because there is such a fervor for this new game.

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
I have a massive interest in the Faroe Islands and seeing how the game is set on an island, I think I'll name my island after a location based there, such as Klaksvik or Mykines.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Hey, so I don't want to be that guy who "rains on the parade", but can someone explain the appeal of Animal Crossing?

Is it basically a town building game? What's the gameplay loop like? I looked at some of the videos, but to me the game kinda looks like side activities you'd find in some RPGs.

I feel like I am missing something because there is such a fervor for this new game.
It's just a very chill game. Basic loop is getting in debt to buy a house, collecting bugs, fish, fossils and ore to add to the museum and sell to pay of your debt, get in more debt to expand your house, and buy new furniture to decorate it and also buy clothes. And you can build up your town as well. Plant flowers and fruit trees to sell as well and just beautify your town. And then interact with other villagers.

You just kind of do what you want and have a good time.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's just a very chill game. Basic loop is getting in debt to buy a house, collecting bugs, fish, fossils and ore to add to the museum and sell to pay of your debt, get in more debt to expand your house, and buy new furniture to decorate it and also buy clothes. And you can build up your town as well. Plant flowers and fruit trees to sell as well and just beautify your town. And then interact with other villagers.

You just kind of do what you want and have a good time.
Nailed it. Animal Crossing is just a vibe, maaaaaaan.

Skel1ingt0n

Oct 28, 2017
Look, you know damn well I bought that SE console even though I have a V2 and a Lite. Shit is pretty af.

But man do I wish they had done a SE Lite. It's my preferred hardware.

Anyway, probably my second most hyped game this year after Half-Life: Alyx. I imagine my "15 minutes a day" will turn into 300 hours by the time the next game comes out.

belairjeff

J->E Localization
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I am so thirsty for any new information.
I remember when Animal Crossing New Leaf came out.
I was in college, and I remember having no intention of buying it. But the night it came out, I smoked a bowl with my girlfriend (at the time) at her parents' house.
She passed out super early, but I couldn't sleep because I was too stoned. So I booted up my 3DS and started browsing the eshop. I couldn't resist spontaneously buying it for some reason. I'm pretty sure I fell asleep while it was downloading and woke up at like 4 AM with the download completed. I remember booting up the game for the first time and seeing my town in complete morning darkness. The music was so good and comfy. Loved that game.

I'm super excited to craft some furniture and see all the new additions.