• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

talkingood

Oct 27, 2017
One of my favourite things about the DS animal crossing was going online to trade items with random people.
I vividly remember meeting up to get a sofa off a guy, and he had surrounded the entrance with holes incase I tried to run in and attack his town so he had time to disconnect before I did any real damage. He messaged "DROP THE MONEY". So I did, and then he entered the little area he made and dropped the sofa. We picked up each other's stuff and then he said "THANKS" and that was that.
Pretty sure I know how a drug addict feels now.
I laughed about this story for a solid minute. Then my wife demanded to know what was so funny and we laughed for a few more minutes. We would do anything to know what traumatic experience this guy had that led to him being so suspicious.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Wild World was truly the Wild West. So much EVILLL

But it was also fucking amazing. I had a few friends from an animal crossing forum I played with for a bit. 1 was from somewhere in europe and another in the midwest or somewhere. We'd talk about our IRL days and just chill late at night (for me) and either fish or just stand/sit the chat. There was probably a week where I played every day for 10-20 hours solid. My DS actually became discolored around the d-pad. I played with so many random people from that forum and learned to become fluent in the behaviors of players and how to deal with sketchy people. Always trade items in your town. They pay first and if anything goes south, just flick the wifi or power switch. Nintendo knew too because the shortcut of pressing start while online in another's town was "I want to Save!" Shit was wild, but also bare outside of chat and catalog trading.

Efejota

Mar 13, 2018
I really hope the backpacks we see on different screenshots are not just cosmetic. Even if New Leaf made things easier, AC has always been one of those games way behind with frustrating and tedious inventory management. I know it's balanced towards making you always "move" and having to do something and not being able to farm too much too easily so you don't "break" the game. But let's not kid ourselves, we all know it's also been tied to hardware limitations. Also because "japanese UX mentality weirdness".

It's 2020 on the Switch, there's 0 excuses for not having lots of QoL this time around. I'm talking easy 1-2 steps actions for everything like moving stuff around, stacking, switching, dropping, equipping and so on.

That's what I'm waiting to see the most. I'm sure there will be lots of content and surprises, not really worried there. I just hope they have some big ones for anything revolving around making that daily grind easier.

PS : I should note that I haven't played Pocket Camp, so I don't know if they already improved on there.

Cherries 💯.
From what I have seen clothes now take their own space, so goodbye to keeping a thousand shirts and socks inside letters to change on the fly. If they did the same with tools it'd be amazing, but I'm cautious.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
So I'm getting the animal crossing switch, what's a good memory card for the system?
Really depends if you want to have a big digital librarary or not.
That being said 128GB is becoming the standard from what I've seen on the switch.
This is what I have, you can find these for $15 on sale at best buy every so often if you can wait.
SanDisk and Samsung are the go to brands to go with but because they're so popular there are counterfeits. The counterfeits don't give the advertised storage, to check for that I use h2testw to see if I have a genuine card as even retail stores get counterfeits these days.

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
From what I have seen clothes now take their own space, so goodbye to keeping a thousand shirts and socks inside letters to change on the fly. If they did the same with tools it'd be amazing, but I'm cautious.

That's definitely a step in the right direction. Also we have enough buttons to have quick equip / swap of favorite items now. Here's to hope they make proper use of that d-pad we have. Its the little things, but yeah.

The wait is unbearable..

Counting the days here, it hurts.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I really hope the backpacks we see on different screenshots are not just cosmetic. Even if New Leaf made things easier, AC has always been one of those games way behind with frustrating and tedious inventory management. I know it's balanced towards making you always "move" and having to do something and not being able to farm too much too easily so you don't "break" the game. But let's not kid ourselves, we all know it's also been tied to hardware limitations. Also because "japanese UX mentality weirdness".

It's 2020 on the Switch, there's 0 excuses for not having lots of QoL this time around. I'm talking easy 1-2 steps actions for everything like moving stuff around, stacking, switching, dropping, equipping and so on.

That's what I'm waiting to see the most. I'm sure there will be lots of content and surprises, not really worried there. I just hope they have some big ones for anything revolving around making that daily grind easier.

PS : I should note that I haven't played Pocket Camp, so I don't know if they already improved on there.
moving furniture was always like one of these

Finger-Rock-Rush-Hour-IQ-Car-Puzzle-Maze-Toy-Board-Game-Learning-Educational-Car-Jigsaw-Kids__67701.1545390441.jpg

personally I hope they don't dumb down the game-iness too much. if I wanted everything to be that easy and abstract I'd just play the Sims

Deleted member 22070

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
moving furniture was always like one of these

personally I hope they don't dumb down the game-iness too much. if I wanted everything to be that easy and abstract I'd just play the Sims

Ah ah yeah. And yeah I agree, there's a fine line between making it more practical and losing all that "jank" which is part of the charm of the game. Gotta find that balance. But even tho they don't really push for lots of QoL where it's needed most, I'm gonna love every second of it anyway.

Fuck I need it so bad, especially these days (hello depression).

Bethell

Oct 27, 2017
Never played an Animal Crossing game before and cant really get a feel for it unless I buy it.

Not sure what to do!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The Welcome amiibo update added the Happy Home Designer method of moving furniture around to New Leaf, it would be sad to lose that now.

traillaitor

Jun 10, 2018
Really hope there's a similar location to Tortimer's Island or at least they implement the mechanics from that island into your actual home island.

Super excited for this now and dying for more details

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
The Welcome amiibo update added the Happy Home Designer method of moving furniture around to New Leaf, it would be sad to lose that now.
personally I'd be bummed but you're right that cold, Sims-like simulation is where the series's priorities have moved

I'll probably never get the HD Animal Crossing-y Animal Crossing of my dreams, but the game has found a broader appeal by changing its soul

Adam_Roman

Oct 25, 2017
For the questions in the OP, I'm naming my island Nowhere, which I've done for every town of mine since the GameCube, and I'm hoping I get apples because I've always had apples as my town fruit. I never even knew you could get different fruit until Wild World.

Deleted member 49611

Nov 14, 2018
Never played an Animal Crossing game before and cant really get a feel for it unless I buy it.

Not sure what to do!
i was the same. i remember when New Leaf came out and i had never even heard of animal crossing. i decided to buy it and was hooked. it's just a fun chill cute game that is quite addictive.

you should pick it up and give it a shot. if you don't like it you can probably get most of your money back trading/selling it since of course nintendo games hold their price really well.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
personally I'd be bummed but you're right that cold, Sims-like simulation is where the series's priorities have moved

I'll probably never get the HD Animal Crossing-y Animal Crossing of my dreams, but the game has found a broader appeal by changing its soul
While they might keep the HHD functionality for you house, we'll likely find furniture placed outside has to be moved around the old fashioned way.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
Life sucks so much right now, I really need this game to lift my spirits.
Hopefully we get some info this week.

Oct 27, 2017
I've always used SanDisk with my 3DS and Switch and have no complaints. The only thing to be weary of is I have seen SanDisk knockoffs on Amazon in recent months. Make sure the one you buy has SanDisk as the manufacturer.
Really depends if you want to have a big digital librarary or not.
That being said 128GB is becoming the standard from what I've seen on the switch.
This is what I have, you can find these for $15 on sale at best buy every so often if you can wait.
SanDisk and Samsung are the go to brands to go with but because they're so popular there are counterfeits. The counterfeits don't give the advertised storage, to check for that I use h2testw to see if I have a genuine card as even retail stores get counterfeits these days.
Thanks.

MLH

Oct 26, 2017
For the questions in the OP, I'm naming my island Nowhere, which I've done for every town of mine since the GameCube, and I'm hoping I get apples because I've always had apples as my town fruit. I never even knew you could get different fruit until Wild World.

Nowhere island, like Mother 3, love it!
I called my town Tazmily in New Leaf, tempted to do the same. I've always had apples in my town too, but don't mind what fruit I get.

Reset my game to get a pleasing layout however.

FGPack

Jan 19, 2020
Italy
Excuse me if this is the wrong place but i don't know where to ask. I never played an AC, but i would like to try it. Now this NH chapter has me intrigued, but i'm not so sure about it. My biggest fear is that it may annoy me during time and not find any reason to keep playing it. Can anyone "help" me on this? Any particular reason for me to buy it? Consider also that i don't have both locally and online no one to play it with, so the multiplayer part is totally kind of absent for me, unless they bring some minigames but i don't think so. A person i know, by knowing my gaming tastes, said that AC is really not a game for me. Consider i like all big Nintendo franchises genres: action/adventure (Zelda), platforms (Mario, DKC), Metroidvania (Metroid, also Hollow Knight to make an example), but especially JRPGs (Xenoblade, Octopath, DQ) and Splatoon. What this game has me intrigued is the crafting system. I love games with a deep crafting system, but i don't know how much it may be important for the game itself. I also like the achievement system, it may be a good reason to make me keep playing it if it's deep enough. What can you guys tell me about AC?

Ovaryactor

Nov 20, 2018
Excuse me if this is the wrong place but i don't know where to ask. I never played an AC, but i would like to try it. Now this NH chapter has me intrigued, but i'm not so sure about it. My biggest fear is that it may annoy me during time and not find any reason to keep playing it. Can anyone "help" me on this? Any particular reason for me to buy it? Consider also that i don't have both locally and online no one to play it with, so the multiplayer part is totally kind of absent for me, unless they bring some minigames but i don't think so. A person i know, by knowing my gaming tastes, said that AC is really not a game for me. Consider i like all big Nintendo franchises genres: action/adventure (Zelda), platforms (Mario, DKC), Metroidvania (Metroid, also Hollow Knight to make an example), but especially JRPGs (Xenoblade, Octopath, DQ) and Splatoon. What this game has me intrigued is the crafting system. I love games with a deep crafting system, but i don't know how much it may be important for the game itself. I also like the achievement system, it may be a good reason to make me keep playing it if it's deep enough. What can you guys tell me about AC?

It's all about the experience of each action and savoring the journey over the destination.

Somehow they breathe life into otherwise menial tasks, from sending mail to collecting fossils, and make you nostalgic for things in a way many games couldn't hope to match.

I recently heard someone say that games are the only medium where the art is designed for someone else to complete it.

Obv. real life doesn't really work that way and I appreciate being able to play something that takes all these cuter slices of life from things you do and makes it into your living tamogatchi after just a little time each day.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017

There's actually a fan project that is making HD assets for the original Animal Crossing.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
We don't really know much about the crafting system. It's a first for the series. So the overall depth and nuance is not really clear. So in that respect it's probably best to not focus on it too heavily if you are interested in the game. Don't put your expectations too high on it.

In terms of multiplayer, there is a fairly solid community on here that you could participate in. The game offers a number of activities that make it worthwhile. Like mini-games you play, the Stalk Market to make Bells(money), or trading furniture to expand your collection. People coordinate together all the time with strangers to exchange items or work together to find the highest prices in the Stalk Market to sell Turnips for high profits. So you don't need to know anyone personally to enjoy or engage in the online aspects. We have a dedicated Discord Server and Friend Code Sharing Google Sheet setup to help track and facilitate in this.

Overall the game is about making it your own and just chilling out. Many people are drawn to different aspects. It's about a relaxing and just enjoying yourself in whatever way that is. Some care about the interactions with the NPCs and things around that. Other's really enjoy the house or town building aspects. Expanding their house and collecting furniture to complete sets and decorate your rooms. Or landscaping the entire town by adding in pathways, bushes, trees and flowers to make it their own. Many like completing the museum collections by finding and collecting all the fossils, bugs, stones and fish.

Last edited:

JangleLuke

Oct 4, 2018
I'm not absolutely 100% sure I'm buying the game (I just need to see a little more of it to unconditionally jump in)
But I've sent a request for an invite to the Discord group.
I'm LukeBarz#2398 !

Aztorian

Jan 3, 2018
I never played Animal Crossing before and I pre-ordered the AC Limited Edition Switch (I already have 2 Switch systems at home). I have issues.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Hand painted with a matte finish, but yeah, the actual little paintings are slightly too amateurish for me to pull the trigger.

Just bought the purple/orange joy-con combo instead.
I'm dying to try and get the official AC joycon somehow. My OG joycon are a drifting mess. Handheld has been unplayable for a year, but I somehow put up with it.

Soda

Oct 26, 2017
Dunedin, New Zealand
I'm also getting into the Switch ecosystem with the Animal Crossing Switch. What accessories do I need / want? Are memory cards necessary? I plan to only buy a few games and strongly prefer physical to digital (because I'll be re-selling a game once I "finish" with it). If I want to play games with a friend, do I need to buy a second set of Joycons or are there other controllers I should consider? I'd mainly be playing solo, but might want to do some co-op Luigi's Mansion 3.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure if this has already been mentioned, but Cdkeys are offering the digital version of this for just £37.99

I think the price is for one day only.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I'm also getting into the Switch ecosystem with the Animal Crossing Switch. What accessories do I need / want? Are memory cards necessary? I plan to only buy a few games and strongly prefer physical to digital (because I'll be re-selling a game once I "finish" with it). If I want to play games with a friend, do I need to buy a second set of Joycons or are there other controllers I should consider? I'd mainly be playing solo, but might want to do some co-op Luigi's Mansion 3.

If you're not going to buy games digitally and resell physical ones when you're done, you're probably ok with the onboard storage.

When it comes to controllers, you probably want to buy a pro controller as a second controller rather than another pair of joycons if you're going to be playing on TV at all. It's a more traditional controller.

As for other accessories, you probably want to get a tempered glass screen protector to make sure the switch doesn't get scratched, which can happen, and the whole putting in and out of the dock thing raises that chance.

SonicRift

Oct 27, 2017
My first town on GameCube was called Funk City. That's what I'd usually name my towns in Sim City, too, so this has been a loooong standing tradition.
In New Leaf, I made New Funk. Sadly, New Funk City was too long a name.

Guessing Funkhattan will be too long?

In terms of fruit, all I want is a different fruit than whatever my wife starts with.

We're both really excited for this release.

LinkStrikesBack

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My first town on GameCube was called Funk City. That's what I'd usually name my towns in Sim City, too, so this has been a loooong standing tradition.
In New Leaf, I made New Funk. Sadly, New Funk City was too long a name.

Guessing Funkhattan will be too long?

In terms of fruit, all I want is a different fruit than whatever my wife starts with.

We're both really excited for this release.
Got 2 Switches then?

To elaborate: Weemadarthur asks this because you're only allowed a single island per switch, shared by all profiles, and it would suck if you found this out on release day and you share a switch.