• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

When do you expect the Animal Crossing Direct?

• February 5th or 6th

Votes: 58 6.6%
  • February 12th or 13th

Votes: 119 13.5%
  • February 19th or 20th

Votes: 297 33.7%
  • Later Feburary

Votes: 123 13.9%
  • Early March

Votes: 127 14.4%
  • No Direct

Votes: 158 17.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I would be genuinely interested in hearing what you think makes the series good though.
I've posted a bunch about it in this thread. Here are some illustrative points:

I'm really into the gameiness of the series and the unique charm that Tim O'Leary, Bill Trinen, and Nate "Shy Guy" Bihldorf brought to the American GameCube release.

I think that adding the Happy Home Designer furniture arrangement options was absolutely despicable.

#MakeVillagersMeanAgain

I wish they focused on improving the villager dialogue "simulation" aspect, instead of stuffing in endless new content, features, and "QuALiTy oF LiFe" options (which I obviously am fundamentally averse to).

I think Animal Crossing was most fun when it played with your LACK of control instead of giving you unrealistic levels of Sims-like control. I'll often contrast Animal Crossing with the Sims because the more the former tries to be like the latter the worse the experience becomes.

My favorite soundtrack is GC, but I really like the homey folksy instrumentation of City Folk (which was worse realized in Wild World)

I used to hate the rolling log but the added grass horizon effect combined with some other visual flair justifies it 100% in New Horizons

I'm not into Isabelle. A lot of potential that they barely gave a hint of in terms of a fun personality but the character ended up being completely flat.

The colors are completely wonky in New Leaf. Being a little more reasonable here: it's not as hideous as I made it out to be. But it has a very bizarre visual quality that I do genuinely dislike. The character animations are very dull compared to New Horizons as well.

I really hope nobody thinks I'm trolling. I just have a weird, unpopular idea of what Animal Crossing should have kept as its soul.

edit:
I bet you liked working as Nook's assistant.
and of course I did. best tutorial in any game.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
I think my favorite thing in Animal Crossing was when I played the GameCube version and would look forward to seeing what my roommate had done in town since I last played. That's basically the experience I want from any Animal Crossing.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
Since it's already up for digital preorder and stores are currently running physical preorder promotions, I don't think it's very likely

giphy.gif

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I think my favorite thing in Animal Crossing was when I played the GameCube version and would look forward to seeing what my roommate had done in town since I last played. That's basically the experience I want from any Animal Crossing.
yep. 1 town/island per system is part of the game. imo.

FoolsMilky

Sep 16, 2018
Man. Almost makes me wish that you could run a "server" of some sort and play with other people on the same island just in general. Like if you and a friend could both log into an island whenever you wanted.

It isn't really a "Nintendo" thing to do but it feels like it would fit well with Animal Crossing since it's already intended to be a 24 hour real-time game. Similar to just hosting a Minecraft server or something.

Pooh

Oct 25, 2017
The Hundred Acre Wood
yep. 1 town/island per system is part of the game. imo.
Yep, absolutely.

But that's sort of what I want from the online experience too -- I don't want to have to be there for a friend to visit my town, talk to the animals, send some letters, maybe teach the villagers a new phrase. I would definitely be interested in a "village" version of Animal Crossing where like internet friends could join and play in the same town.

Man. Almost makes me wish that you could run a "server" of some sort and play with other people on the same island just in general. Like if you and a friend could both log into an island whenever you wanted.

It isn't really a "Nintendo" thing to do but it feels like it would fit well with Animal Crossing since it's already intended to be a 24 hour real-time game. Similar to just hosting a Minecraft server or something.

Haha, exactly!

jeelybeans

Oct 25, 2017
I do hope villagers are mean and interesting again. That's the only thing I feel like is missing from Animal Crossing compared to something like Stardew.

LexiStarrDust

Mar 31, 2019

I'm really into the gameiness of the series and the unique charm that Tim O'Leary, Bill Trinen, and Nate "Shy Guy" Bihldorf brought to the American GameCube release.

I think that adding the Happy Home Designer furniture arrangement options was absolutely despicable.

#MakeVillagersMeanAgain

I wish they focused on improving the villager dialogue "simulation" aspect, instead of stuffing in endless new content, features, and "QuALiTy oF LiFe" options (which I obviously am fundamentally averse to).

I think Animal Crossing was most fun when it played with your LACK of control instead of giving you unrealistic levels of Sims-like control. I'll often contrast Animal Crossing with the Sims because the more the former tries to be like the latter the worse the experience becomes.

My favorite soundtrack is GC, but I really like the homey folksy instrumentation of City Folk (which was worse realized in Wild World)

I used to hate the rolling log but the added grass horizon effect combined with some other visual flair justifies it 100% in New Horizons

I'm not into Isabelle. A lot of potential that they barely gave a hint of in terms of a fun personality but the character ended up being completely flat.

The colors are completely wonky in New Leaf. Being a little more reasonable here: it's not as hideous as I made it out to be. But it has a very bizarre visual quality that I do genuinely dislike. The character animations are very dull compared to New Horizons as well.

I really hope nobody thinks I'm trolling. I just have a weird, unpopular idea of what Animal Crossing should have kept as its soul.

edit:

I don't think you are being unreasonable, I can see where you are coming from and agree with some of it. For as much time as I put into New Leaf, the Gamecube game is still my favorite because of the dialogue and charm that it had. It just had a really unique feel to it, esecpailyl helped by the interesting sound design that a lot of Gamecube games had that their sequels could never really capture (I felt the same way when going from Luigi's Mansion to Dark Moon). I've never been a fan of the rolling pin thing either, I preferred acres (or just top down), though it does not look as bad in this game.

I don't personally see the Happy Home Designer controls as a bad thing, since the old controls are there for those that want it. And I like Isabelle, but like Digby I think she was hurt by New Leaf's refusal to let the special characters really feel special or have anything interesting to say. I am hoping that they improve the dialogue and "story" of the game for New Horizons.

Also, I don't think anyone doesn't want the mean characters back, do they? Though, personally, stealing a royal crown from the player might be a bit much...

Still, I get where you are coming from and agree. I can still enjoy New Leaf and will enjoy this game, but I am hoping they go back to what made the GC game feel special.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
edit: btw new leaf has the worst soundtrack too *flees*

This animal knows. Gamecube Animal Crossing was where it was at in terms of music. Play that Rainy Day theme and tell me it doesn't slap. I mean New Leaf still has a great soundtrack, it's just that the others are so strong that it was a really high bar to reach. New Leaf is good in a different way, it's just that I wish they'd go back to the super quirky feel of the GCN music.

This is definitely one of the standouts. So good.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I don't think you are being unreasonable, I can see where you are coming from and agree with some of it. For as much time as I put into New Leaf, the Gamecube game is still my favorite because of the dialogue and charm that it had. It just had a really unique feel to it, esecpailyl helped by the interesting sound design that a lot of Gamecube games had that their sequels could never really capture (I felt the same way when going from Luigi's Mansion to Dark Moon). I've never been a fan of the rolling pin thing either, I preferred acres (or just top down), though it does not look as bad in this game.

I don't personally see the Happy Home Designer controls as a bad thing, since the old controls are there for those that want it. And I like Isabelle, but like Digby I think she was hurt by New Leaf's refusal to let the special characters really feel special or have anything interesting to say. I am hoping that they improve the dialogue and "story" of the game for New Horizons.

Also, I don't think anyone doesn't want the mean characters back, do they? Though, personally, stealing a royal crown from the player might be a bit much...

Still, I get where you are coming from and agree. I can still enjoy New Leaf and will enjoy this game, but I am hoping they go back to what made the GC game feel special.
damn, sounds like our opinions are very closely aligned after all. particularly about Wild World's tendency to have villagers basically mug you, that was a cheap crutch. And the special characters in New Leaf, definitely unfortunate.

You're right that I can just choose to actually move my furniture around, but it's sort of like when an adventure game just lets you skip a puzzle. It's a bummer. This is an extreme comparison, but imagine if that upcoming Picross Ace Attorney type game let you just skip the puzzles. It's not technically robbing anyone of content, but it's a nihilistic and unconfident design choice.

Finally, I'll add that I played like 400 hours of New Leaf, probably more than any other game in the series. I've earned my disdain for it, dang it!

LexiStarrDust

Mar 31, 2019
damn, sounds like our opinions are very closely aligned after all. particularly about Wild World's tendency to have villagers basically mug you, that was a cheap crutch. And the special characters in New Leaf, definitely unfortunate.

You're right that I can just choose to actually move my furniture around, but it's sort of like when an adventure game just lets you skip a puzzle. It's a bummer. This is an extreme comparison, but imagine if that upcoming Picross Ace Attorney type game let you just skip the puzzles. It's not technically robbing anyone of content, but it's a nihilistic and unconfident design choice.

Finally, I'll add that I played like 400 hours of New Leaf, probably more than any other game in the series. I've earned my disdain for it, dang it!
I don't personally see it as a bummer myself, because I feel like everyone is entitled to enjoy games in their own ways, and I would not want to force my views on how to play on someone else. Especially in the case of Animal Crossing, where I can see the touch screen controls being a nice accessibility feature for people who may physically have trouble playing. Also tons of people simply enjoy Ace Attorney for the story, which I think is fine, it's what most people remember it for I want to say.

But yeah, it does seem like our views are closely alligned, it's just that in my 400+ (I never got the final tree upgrade :( ) of New Leaf I never disliked it, I just wished it was a bit closer to the GC game. All of the positives of New Leaf outweighed the bad for me, even if I felt something was missing.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I don't personally see it as a bummer myself, because I feel like everyone is entitled to enjoy games in their own ways, and I would not want to force my views on how to play on someone else. Especially in the case of Animal Crossing, where I can see the touch screen controls being a nice accessibility feature for people who may physically have trouble playing. Also tons of people simply enjoy Ace Attorney for the story, which I think is fine, it's what most people remember it for I want to say.

But yeah, it does seem like our views are closely alligned, it's just that in my 400+ (I never got the final tree upgrade :( ) of New Leaf I never disliked it, I just wished it was a bit closer to the GC game. All of the positives of New Leaf outweighed the bad for me, even if I felt something was missing.
Yeah, I just tend to be cranky lol. I think I'm gonna really like New Horizons, regardless

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017

#MakeVillagersMeanAgain

edit:

Now that you mention it, was the villagers being extra mean in the gamecube games something that was an effect of how NoA localized the game or did Nintendo in general start toning down the attitude of all the characters?

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

#MakeVillagersMeanAgain

edit:

But everything you said runs counter to the franchise's growing popularity...

That Bell Bag looks like some Etsy shit

Not worth having to have the game physical rather than living on your console

You know what the BIGGEST hype is for this game? Finally, a mainline Animal Crossing game with skin colour options.

Dear Nintendo, welcome to the 21st freaking century. Please understand that people with various skin colours exist.

Thank you and goodnight
Actually, the Welcome Amiibo update to New Leaf added skin color options.

Last edited:

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
The second side has the symbol of a bicycle. Oh god please let that be true.
We've seen bikes in several screenshots so far. I'm assuming it's just a decoration, but would be cool if we could actually use it. Though the island isn't that big and it seems like a recipe for fucking up shit, but it would be worth it.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
We've seen bikes in several screenshots so far. I'm assuming it's just a decoration, but would be cool if we could actually use it. Though the island isn't that big and it seems like a recipe for fucking up shit, but it would be worth it.

Sorry if this has been covered before but do we actually know how big the island is?

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Sorry if this has been covered before but do we actually know how big the island is?
Kind of, but not really. There's been some analyses of the island comparing maps and measuring certain features, the earliest and most widely shared ones seem to dramatically overestimate the size of the island. The best one I've found seems to put it at just shy of the original GC's size and almost 1.4 times the size of NL. They measured it out by individual tiles and comparing that to the town square and then extrapolating that to the entire island.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
no

I don't think there's footage of someone exploring a whole island

Ive been kind of hoping it'll be pretty large with some varied areas to play around in - however I think I've seen speculation that we may just end up having multiple islands for that kind of thing.

Kind of, but not really. There's been some analyses of the island, most seem to dramatically overestimate the size. The best one I've found seems to put it at just shy of the original GC's size and like 1.25 or so times the size of NL if I'm remembering correctly.

What makes that particular analysis the best one? Care to share ?

Oct 25, 2017
It bugs me greatly that towns are apparently still all just squares. I want more unique locations, with unique features. Like some islands could have a big mountain. Or some are a different climate, all tropical trees, no cliffs, etc. I just feel like when you go to visit a friend, it's going to be very easy to see past the decorations and tell that it's still basically your island but with a different river.

This game seems to be on track for greatest amount of personalization, which is great. I just feel like they're still only going half way.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
It bugs me greatly that towns are apparently still all just squares. I want more unique locations, with unique features. Like some islands could have a big mountain. Or some are a different climate, all tropical trees, no cliffs, etc. I just feel like when you go to visit a friend, it's going to be very easy to see past the decorations and tell that it's still basically your island but with a different river.

This game seems to be on track for greatest amount of personalization, which is great. I just feel like they're still only going half way.
People would be outraged if islands were that unique and you were "forced" to use online or visit friends to see different biomes or have access to different locales or items. I was talking in the discord the other day about regionalized holidays to allow for more variety and that was already seen as a bad idea because then it'd be a pain to 100% the game if you didn't have access to all the content in the game just from your island.

I feel like the current degree of procedural island design is the only compromise that works even if your islands uniqueness isn't as deep as it could be.

Oct 25, 2017
People would be outraged if islands were that unique and you were "forced" to use online or visit friends to see different biomes or have access to different locales or items. I was talking in the discord the other day about regionalized holidays to allow for more variety and that was already seen as a bad idea because then it'd be a pain to 100% the game if you didn't have access to all the content in the game just from your island.

I feel like the current degree of procedural island design is the only compromise that works even if your islands uniqueness isn't as deep as it could be.

It's only such an issue because of the arbitrary one save per system aspect.

But the solution could also be that you could hire 'landscapers' to add new or different features to your island. Or you could buy additional islands later on in the game. There's plenty of ways to make everything accessible as part of the gameplay.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I wrote about this in one of the other threads, but I can see them do different themed islands as big €20-30 expansion packs. The whole 'Deserted Island Package' thing sounds like a setup where Nook will have more packages to sell in the future.

One example that would be cool would be a moon/space themed island with alien villagers or if you want to get closer to home you could do simpler things like a desert island, or a forest biome, or whatever you can think of. Each with their own villagers, item sets and other stuff. The possibilities are literally endless and especially with this island theme it's easy to hop in a boat and row to your second, different island.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
The possibilities are literally endless and especially with this island theme it's easy to hop in a boat and row to your second, different island.

Ever since seeing that official promo art that the boxart is taken from, it seems like a massive tease that such a thing will be possible. Why else would they have an animal standing far out on its own island with a dock in the official art?

5w2z1Ne.jpg

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
Ever since seeing that official promo art that the boxart is taken from, it seems like a massive tease that such a thing will be possible. Why else would they have an animal standing far out on its own island with a dock in the official art?

5w2z1Ne.jpg
That's Harvey, the dude that managed the campgrounds added in the Welcome Amiibo update. Him being on a separate island could be signifying something like this game's version of the Happy Homes Showcase or a way to find visiting animals to invite to your island or something.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
That's Harvey, the dude that managed the campgrounds added in the Welcome Amiibo update. Him being on a separate island could be signifying something like this game's version of the Happy Homes Showcase or a way to find visiting animals to invite to your island or something.

Oooh gotcha. Last AC I played was on Gamecube so I'm quite behind on a lot of this stuff lol.

Oct 27, 2017
My wife was super excited for Animal Crossing but I bought her Stardew Valley on Switch and now she's obsessed with that and couldn't give a fuck about Animal Crossing, ha.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
My wife was super excited for Animal Crossing but I bought her Stardew Valley on Switch and now she's obsessed with that and couldn't give a fuck about Animal Crossing, ha.

It's good she has something to keep her busy in the meantime, but AC is an entirely different beast. It's nice we're in the position in which we can easily swap between both games on the go.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
The whole 'Deserted Island Package' thing sounds like a setup where Nook will have more packages to sell in the future.
Yeah, they way they've always insisted on "Deserted Island Package" has always smelt fishy.
But thats just The Sims with animal characters :P
Sims expansions like is exactly what I hope for the DLCs. Snowy Vacations Package. Country Side Package (think Totoro). City Living Package.
Each pack coming with brand new items and maybe even new villagers.
This would be soooo good.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I tried digging out my 3DS to play some of my 250+ hour New Leaf town only to find my 3DS SD card has gone missing

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
At last.

I bought eShop credit for this game around Christmas time, it was 10% off or something then, but the card itself has been missing for the past month.
I just found it under a bunch of receipts! I just had to turn my room upside down in the process.

Game preloaded! Now I get to wait around and watch the icon for......... 34ish days.

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Whoa. I had no idea. That said, I'd stopped playing well before that came along. Is this option only for new characters or can one adjust for pre-existing ones?
You know what, it's kind of a dumb work around.

New Horizons will be the first that will let you pick your skin color when you create your character. New Leaf only allows you to do it by wearing the Mii Mask item but that also makes your face look like your Mii.

i forgot it was like that so you were more or less right

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I wrote about this in one of the other threads, but I can see them do different themed islands as big €20-30 expansion packs. The whole 'Deserted Island Package' thing sounds like a setup where Nook will have more packages to sell in the future.

One example that would be cool would be a moon/space themed island with alien villagers or if you want to get closer to home you could do simpler things like a desert island, or a forest biome, or whatever you can think of. Each with their own villagers, item sets and other stuff. The possibilities are literally endless and especially with this island theme it's easy to hop in a boat and row to your second, different island.
Yeah, they way they've always insisted on "Deserted Island Package" has always smelt fishy.

Sims expansions like is exactly what I hope for the DLCs. Snowy Vacations Package. Country Side Package (think Totoro). City Living Package.
Each pack coming with brand new items and maybe even new villagers.
This would be soooo good.
This would push me over the edge to get the game.

It would be awesome.

It makes too much sense.

They'll never do it.

DannyVice

Oct 25, 2017
I just bought a Switch Lite to combine with my regular Switch at home, do people think i'll be able to transfer saves easily between the systems? I'm still a bit confused about this whole thing concerning Animal Crossing.