• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
animal_crossing_figurines.jpg

Furuta will launch a new set of AC figure in February (in Japan) but is based (again) on New Leaf. I find it so weird that all merchandise so far (except some preorder bonuses) is using New Leaf instead of the new game.
Haha, did this picture come from the retailer? White backgrounds still included for a bunch of animals while poor KK Slider/Julian lost part of their faces due to transparent selection.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
One hope I have for this game is K.K. goes back to being a drifting beatnick with an acoustic guitar - and not an EDM DJ which was not nearly as endearing or magical.

I'm an old man though, I didn't even like him playing in the Coffee Shop - I miss when he was just playing by himself outdoors at night somewhere on a box, you know?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
One hope I have for this game is K.K. goes back to being a drifting beatnick with an acoustic guitar - and not an EDM DJ which was not nearly as endearing or magical.

I'm an old man though, I didn't even like him playing in the Coffee Shop - I miss when he was just playing by himself outdoors at night somewhere on a box, you know?
Yes, I'm more in the camp of back to basics in terms of theming, but want them to blow out interactions with animals. Several entries chased the multiplayer ghost and now when I return to new leaf it feels hollow because I just want to have better interactions with the animals, but its all about making a facade to show off to MP visitors or dream guests.

Nov 17, 2017

K.K. became a sell out, man...

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yes, I'm more in the camp of back to basics in terms of theming, but want them to blow out interactions with animals. Several entries chased the multiplayer ghost and now when I return to new leaf it feels hollow because I just want to have better interactions with the animals, but its all about making a facade to show off to MP visitors or dream guests.
Yes! I made a detailed post in this thread or another about this very thing - how the Animal interactions are #1 on my list of "things I want this game to do right". They've been going downhill since Wild World (and even that I would say was a big step down from the Gamecube version, but it was on DS, less memory etc.), and they've become wallpaper. They need to become a focus of the game again - not everyone plays Animal Crossing to micromanage a town through customization and all that - a lot of us just like to go hang out in our towns, and having the Animals become less and less interesting and engaging has had a big effect on this franchise for me. IT'S STILL CALLED ANIMAL CROSSING AFTER ALL!
K.K. became a sell out, man...
Haha, damn - I can't argue, but I hate to hear it.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I WANT THAT JOURNAL

I WANT IT TO ALSO NOT HAVE FEBRUARY WHEN IT RELEASES IN MARCH

thats such a huge issue to me

dsripley

Sep 24, 2019
I WANT THAT JOURNAL

I WANT IT TO ALSO NOT HAVE FEBRUARY WHEN IT RELEASES IN MARCH

thats such a huge issue to me

I think it's the best preorder bonus so far, but it's also technically a "gift with purchase" so if I understand correctly it's not guaranteed because there are very limited quantities. And there's no way to preorder it in store, it's either get the game shipped and have it several days late or risk not preordering and just going to Target super early and picking it up in person. The journal is super cute, but I'm just not sure if I want to risk it 😥

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
God I want to be excited for this game so bad, but it's really hard. So far all the new stuff for this proper sequel looks less than a regular Stardew patch. I really wish they went all out with this one and made it something more... perhaps there are some things they are holding back. But I definitely hope its more than "Characters can now wear sweaters" and "The weeds look different".

100% agree. Visually appealing but that's been the case per every release.

What about gameplay? Well, I hope the AC team have really gone above & beyond like what Stardew has become.

Obsonet

Nov 26, 2019
100% agree. Visually appealing but that's been the case per every release.

What about gameplay? Well, I hope the AC team have really gone above & beyond like what Stardew has become.

Honestly, I'm not expecting that much, I think the main draw is building up your island from nothing.
Which is exciting for me but I understand wanting more.

OP
OP
delete12345

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
animal_crossing_figurines.jpg

Furuta will launch a new set of AC figure in February (in Japan) but is based (again) on New Leaf. I find it so weird that all merchandise so far (except some preorder bonuses) is using New Leaf instead of the new game.

I'm debating if I should change avatar to Tom Nook holding the bag of Bells. But I liked the bathtub...

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Please let there be things like morning aerobics and other interactive events with more mini-game esque elements. Sports week was fun, racing around the well, watching the animals shoot hoops.

I'll keep rattling on about how the Animals need to be better.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Haha, did this picture come from the retailer? White backgrounds still included for a bunch of animals while poor KK Slider/Julian lost part of their faces due to transparent selection.
lol yeah, it is dirty. Here is a better pic.
They look really nice for Furuta choco egg...but I think they are more expensive than usual.
5e077e4ce8e5c8.jpg

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Yes! I made a detailed post in this thread or another about this very thing - how the Animal interactions are #1 on my list of "things I want this game to do right". They've been going downhill since Wild World (and even that I would say was a big step down from the Gamecube version, but it was on DS, less memory etc.), and they've become wallpaper. They need to become a focus of the game again - not everyone plays Animal Crossing to micromanage a town through customization and all that - a lot of us just like to go hang out in our towns, and having the Animals become less and less interesting and engaging has had a big effect on this franchise for me. IT'S STILL CALLED ANIMAL CROSSING AFTER ALL!

Haha, damn - I can't argue, but I hate to hear it.

I've just started playing Animal Crossing GameCube and I'm dying from how much different this is than the newer Animal Crossings. These villagers are just full of personality, and I feel so cozy in my new village in the Winter.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've just started playing Animal Crossing GameCube and I'm dying from how much different this is than the newer Animal Crossings. These villagers are just full of personality, and I feel so cozy in my new village in the Winter.
YES. It's still my favourite version - it captured a vibe and atmosphere that hasn't been recaptured since.

I'm happy to see that change though.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
GC Animal Crossing definitely had a... je ne sais quoi that the series, whilst still being amazing, hasn't really recaptured.

I don't know how exactly they do that, but I know I want my damn viking hat back.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I've read once that it's actually the localisation team that makes the villagers in the new ones less harsh. Apparently they're still kinda the same in the original versions.
But yeah, the first game is so different. The delimitation in zones makes you feel like you truly are in a mystic little forest, it's such a different feeling.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I've read once that it's actually the localisation team that makes the villagers in the new ones less harsh. Apparently they're still kinda the same in the original versions.
But yeah, the first game is so different. The delimitation in zones makes you feel like you truly are in a mystic little forest, it's such a different feeling.
They Pokemon Rival'd us. Certain animals used to be grumpy assholes, and I really vibed with that.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
Y'all, what IS Animal Crossing? I want to know! Is it like a single player MMO with no combat? Sort of like Fantasy Life on 3DS, again without combat?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Create a design, make it a hat, and there you go, viking hat if you play a boy :p

Edit : yeah the grumpy animals were so much fun. They were real assholes at first when you just met them lmao
What?! I played 250+ hours of New Leaf, how have I forgottten this? Thought they took it out!

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Y'all, what IS Animal Crossing? I want to know! Is it like a single player MMO with no combat? Sort of like Fantasy Life on 3DS, again without combat?
No. You live in a little forest with a beach, a bunch of stores and a few animal villagers. (The forest is randomly created, and the game randomly select the animals that will live in the village)
There's no real objective. You fish, capture bugs, find fossiles, and bring it all to the museum, or sell it. With the money you make, you can build a bigger house and buy decorations for your house, buy clothes, buy gifts to the animals, befriend them...
It uses the real clock, you play on a day by day basis (each new day, the stores have different stuff). There's events (for instance, Christmas, Halloween, etc...) where every villagers celebrate, and you can get unique stuff on those days.

You can visit other players' villages online, but it's not an mmo. It's a slice of life game. You just live your life, have fun, relax, talk to the animals, play with them, customize your character and your house...

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida

I would argue that there's a charm in that game that was hard to capture in the later ones. Maybe it's just because it was my first AC game. (or because I love the hidden NES games which were the first time many people had played those games since the NES days).

After this game, the series goes from isometric to the now standard and trademark "round world" style and I still hate that perspective.

I did put a lot of time into Wide World and New Leaf, however, so I can't say the games got worse. I love this series. I just miss that feeling I got when I played the first one.

No. You live in a little forest with a beach, a bunch of stores and a few animal villagers. (The forest is randomly created, and the game randomly select the animals that will live in the village)
There's no real objective. You fish, capture bugs, find fossiles, and bring it all to the museum, or sell it. With the money you make, you can build a bigger house and buy decorations for your house, buy clothes, buy gifts to the animals, befriend them...
It uses the real clock, you play on a day by day basis (each new day, the stores have different stuff). There's events (for instance, Christmas, Halloween, etc...) where every villagers celebrate, and you can get unique stuff on those days.

You can visit other players' villages online, but it's not an mmo. It's a slice of life game. You just live your life, have fun, relax, talk to the animals, play with them, customize your character and your house...

This is precisely the game.

I will add to this that the world is ever changing, almost literally every day, with stores featuring new items, new villagers appearing every once and a while, new characters showing up in town with special items. You get mail sometimes, especially if you send mail (you can mail the animals or even animals who left your village and they will sometimes mail you back things from their new towns).

You can join other people's games in most of the series. It depends on the game. You can always bring back some of the unique items like fruits; each game has one naturally growing fruit that you can sell, eat, trade - you can get the others by trading with real people. For example: your town generates with orange trees, but you join a friend who has cherries, you can bring back a few cherries, plant them, and start a cherry orchard in your town. Fruits from other cities also get more money (I believe it's 100 vs. 500). Each village's stores also sell different stock, so there's an incentive in playing with the social aspects.

The biggest draw of this series is living in a charming little "second life" utopian little world. It's a massively charming game that can be very addicting as you find yourself waking up early to catch a certain fish or making sure to log in at Christmas or Halloween to get rare furniture or clothing or just finding yourself wanting to check the store each day to see what new carpet or wallpaper can be bought. It's one of the best games you can find yourself hooked on.

Last edited:

Zeroro

Oct 27, 2017
The GameCube version is the only one I haven't played, but based on screenshots I've seen, I like how they aren't just super nice to you all the time. It's probably too late for them to revert back to something like that for the villagers' dialogue, but like it's been said earlier on this page, the thing I want most out of New Horizons is more meaningful interactions with villagers. I saw lines being recycled way too often in New Leaf. I'd trade so many new customization options for that any day. If it's similar to New Leaf in that regard, that's really the only way New Horizons would be a disappointment to me.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017

I wish I could quote this 100 times to emphasize it. 110% agree!

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
I feel like the dialogue looped a lot more in the original, but I agree that I miss the meaner character interactions. The cruel but charming characters like the bitchy cat girl were great. I loved keeping them around for more flavor.

Maybe I noticed the loops more in the first two games because I played them a lot more.

Please let there be things like morning aerobics and other interactive events with more mini-game esque elements. Sports week was fun, racing around the well, watching the animals shoot hoops.

I'll keep rattling on about how the Animals need to be better.

The idea of having daily mini-games you can play with your animals is so damn good I can't believe I haven't dreamed of this first. Sure, you had moments where characters would go fishing with you, but having an actual fishing contest or a race or some button mashing things would be great. Maybe insert a bit of Tamadochi-life like lite-mini-games would be great.

I wish I could quote this 100 times to emphasize it. 110% agree!

I also think that some of the options for making permanent changes to villagers need to come up more frequently. Changing their phrases, clothing, nicknames, etc, should be a more common thing and add more variety to it. These are supposed to your friends, but as you guys have said, there's much less incentive to talk to each villager every day now.

Hell, I'd take the simple trading game being as frequent as it was on the first Gamecube game, despite it being annoying sometimes.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
GC Animal Crossing definitely has a different atmosphere to the rest of the series. I think it's a combination of the camera shift, the palette change (the new games feel much brighter) and the villager interactions. There's definitely something about that isometric perspective that makes it feel like the world is very small and cozy. Animals felt less like they were put there FOR you and more like they were there regardless of your existence.

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
GC Animal Crossing definitely has a different atmosphere to the rest of the series. I think it's a combination of the camera shift, the palette change (the new games feel much brighter) and the villager interactions. There's definitely something about that isometric perspective that makes it feel like the world is very small and cozy. Animals felt less like they were put there FOR you and more like they were there regardless of your existence.

I know it's probably perception, but I the perspective filled the entire screen. This new perspective makes it feel like I'm seeing a smaller part of the world. I know that's strange since now we have an actual horizon, but I feel like the new games seem more cramped.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
I know it's probably perception, but I the perspective filled the entire screen. This new perspective makes it feel like I'm seeing a smaller part of the world. I know that's strange since now we have an actual horizon, but I feel like the new games seem more cramped.
Yeah, I get you. I think it's a bit of both. The OG feels cozier, because you're not seeing the actual sky and horizon, but the perspective also makes it feel like you're surrounded by the world, so it also feels more dense and "bigger" in that regard. The portable games basically going 50-50 on ground vs sky with the dual screens probably contributes to that feeling.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
The portable games basically going 50-50 on ground vs sky with the dual screens probably contributes to that feeling.
didn't New Leaf just have the map and inventory on the bottom screen and reserve the top screen for all the actual gameplay

it's been a while, I might be SUPER wrong on this

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
I dont think they'll ever top the original, for me. Maybe that's just nostalgia talking, but the atmosphere was special.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
didn't New Leaf just have the map and inventory on the bottom screen and reserve the top screen for all the actual gameplay

it's been a while, I might be SUPER wrong on this
It did and I think it shifted with a button. It still had a ton of sky though. It's also been forever since I played.

Coincidentally, I stopped played New Leaf because I was convinced we'd get a Wii U version, so...fuck Nintendo for that one. I regret making that stupid decision.

Wil Grieve

Oct 25, 2017
It did and I think it shifted with a button. It still had a ton of sky though. It's also been forever since I played.

Coincidentally, I stopped played New Leaf because I was convinced we'd get a Wii U version, so...fuck Nintendo for that one. I regret making that stupid decision.

Man, that amiibo festival trailer was such a fucking dick kick. Started off with these HD assets, Animal Crossing Wii U! Camera pans down...to a fucking game board.

Sadly though Amiibo Festival was actually a better game than the Wii U Mario Party

Bengraven

Oct 26, 2017
Florida
Yeah, I get you. I think it's a bit of both. The OG feels cozier, because you're not seeing the actual sky and horizon, but the perspective also makes it feel like you're surrounded by the world, so it also feels more dense and "bigger" in that regard. The portable games basically going 50-50 on ground vs sky with the dual screens probably contributes to that feeling.

The sky lends nothing to the game in my opinion. I get that it's nice to see fireworks sometimes but we could have had the camera pan up. And I never carry around a slingshot - I ignore the rare balloon packages.

I don't think they'll ever top the original, for me. Maybe that's just nostalgia talking, but the atmosphere was special.

There was something more mysterious about it, I think. Maybe it was because we had never played a game like it before. It was a new experience, we didn't know how it was going to end or if it was going to end. We assumed not, we had no goal, but we also didn't know everything we could do. Every new discovery was exciting.

Maybe it was because in my case it was a lot of word of mouth: I played AC obsessively a year before I ever joined a reliable web forum. It was mostly GameFAQs and they were obviously 90% inaccurate. "There are UFOs in the game on some nights!" "the little robot guys mostly appear in the ground after a rain storm" "you can kill a villager by digging around it and making it way a few days".

Matbtz

Oct 27, 2017
Mars cannot come soon enough !
Like many of you, I'm hoping for gameplay improvement for the animal interactions.
In new leaf there was too many loops, similarities between animals...
The one thing that bother me the most is that there is no difference of dialogue between the second time you talk to an animal and the thousand time...
I would like to build or not some relationship and thus have different interactions between the "best friends" and newcomers.

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I love AC and cannot wait for NH but I do hope there are substantial steps forward for the gameplay. So far, it is very much more of the same.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I love AC and cannot wait for NH but I do hope there are substantial steps forward for the gameplay. So far, it is very much more of the same.
To me it seems like the biggest departure yet.
Among other things :
First time you don't move in a new town but start from scratch is a big change for example. We have yet to know how things will build up.
First time you are free to customize your avatar with skin, nose and mouth now also customizable.
Also being able to place objects outside of your house will lead to way more personalization in people town.
Crafting is also introduced.
And we only know the premise of the game so more might be coming...

SuperSah

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
To me it seems like the biggest departure yet.
Among other things :
First time you don't move in a new town but start from scratch is a big change for example. We have yet to know how things will build up.
First time you are free to customize your avatar with skin, nose and mouth now also customizable.
Also being able to place objects outside of your house will lead to way more personalization in people town.
Crafting is also introduced.
And we only know the premise of the game so more might be coming...

I am sure that more is coming, but will it be radical changes?

I suspect the events calender won't change much, for example, and that random day-to-day occurrences will be similiar to what we've always had (Gulliver, etc.).

I hope that there are many new stores and facilities but given this is premised on being a deserted island, maybe the shopping areas are now gone?

Of course greater animal interaction is a must but I do not see them putting that much effort into this area.

I am personally beyond excited for this but I do hope that they have more cards to show.

Tonswelt

Aug 25, 2018
Germany
I wonder if the shops will be built on the island itself or if there's a seperate island or something for them. I'd rather have them on the island but I feel like there might not be enough space for everything.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Last I checked Pocket Camp took quite a few ideas from Stardew! I hope they take inspiration for NH

Pls, pls, pls! Except that subscription service is really a sour turn for the series, imo.

Animal Crossing more or less spearheaded the village simulation genre- my wishes are that gameplay features take a priority focus! 🙏🏼

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
Free with pre-order at Target. They have this up now as well as the KK Slider controller:

GUEST_d3d8f1d9-15ed-484a-a5e8-8619562b6941

GUEST_0cb3b5d3-2726-4d2d-adcf-145ea9a53975

GUEST_7743b766-5045-460b-afea-679251fc3cdc