• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
Have we seen any screens of the Passport app yet? Interested in if we'll be able to get pages for visiting friends' villages.

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
Am I nuts or did they say I could send letters to friends online without having to be in their town to do so?

That would be a great addition. I've always wanted that.

hjort

Nov 9, 2017
Am I nuts or did they say I could send letters to friends online without having to be in their town to do so?

I interpreted it that way too, but when I re-watched the Direct I think they only said 'friends', and didn't mention online. I think I just interpreted it as such since they talked about the various airport functions and stuff around the same time. But I might be wrong.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017

No, they only showed sending letters to villagers in your own town, and the way it's worded "feel free to interact with other residents" seems, to me, to imply it's only for villagers. If so, it's definitely confusing since it comes right after talking about visiting friends' towns

Oct 27, 2017
I interpreted it that way too, but when I re-watched the Direct I think they only said 'friends', and didn't mention online. I think I just interpreted it as such since they talked about the various airport functions and stuff around the same time. But I might be wrong.
Friends are limited to offline only. They use "friends" when you invite people online to your island IIRC

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
All this Animal Crossing talk reminded me of that website that plays animal crossing music depending on what time it is. That led me to seek out a Firefox addon that could do the same and I came across Nook. It will play music from any of the games and has the rain/snow variations. There is even an option to play rain sounds and K.K. Slider at the appropriate time on Saturday. It's open source if you want to verify it doesn't do anything nefarious. It is also available on Chrome.

Oct 28, 2017

It specifically says "in-game" and "other residents" of your own island, and the pop-up only displays animal villagers. I'm sure you can also send cards to other human residents on your own island, but Nintendo has been leery of allowing direct online communication since that swapnote scandal. I doubt any direct online communication from one island to another island will be a feature. At best we'll get a pop-up keyboard for in-game chat and voice over ip through the app for online multiplayer.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
Oh god

The childhood innocence of waiting up on Saturday night to see KK Slider

That will never happen again. I need to sit down.

Bentendo24

Feb 20, 2020
Have Gyroids been confirmed for the game yet? I feel like I've seen them in house shots, but I can't be sure

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I've never played an animal crossing game before, but I'm intrigued.
But I dont really know what I'd be getting into.

Edge

A King's Landing
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Celle, Germany
It's definitely weird that paths can't be diagonal. Seems as obvious an omission as slopes in Mario Maker. Hopefully it's something they add in a free update instead of making us wait until the next game.

I mean, you still can't even turn any item diagonally and its still only 4 directions, so, are you really surprised?

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
I've never played an animal crossing game before, but I'm intrigued.
But I dont really know what I'd be getting into.
Whatever you want to get into.

Want to make friends with an imaginary koala bear?
Want to contribute to global overfishing in hopes of establishing a futile record of flora and fauna?
Want to enjoy all the fun of paying off an actual mortgage but with no interest and no physical goods in return?

I have the game for you my friend.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
animal-crossing-new-horizons-feb-direct-details-features-analysis-message-in-a-bottle-790x445.jpg

There's also this. I wonder how the message in a bottle will work on Switch.

Oh man I missed this feature. There was some weird ass messages in there in Wild World.

D-Volt

Jan 31, 2018
My hype for this game is slooowly building. I'm of the opinion the series never truly surpassed the Gamecube original (I'm not counting Dobutsu no Mori for N64) and I've bought every game in the series besides Wild World and Happy Home Designer (we don't talk about Amiibo Festival).

I haven't seen anything that makes me go, "Woah, this is a gamechanger!" but it looks extremely solid and it's been long enough since New Leaf that I can get sucked into the Animal Crossing groove again.

The mayor stuff in New Leaf frustrated me with how restrictive and utterly pointless it felt. New Horizons emphasis on customization of almost anything with little restriction and direct action really does seem like enough of a breath of fresh air to draw back me in.

Aprikurt

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 29, 2017
My hype for this game is slooowly building. I'm of the opinion the series never truly surpassed the Gamecube original (I'm not counting Dobutsu no Mori for N64) and I've bought every game in the series besides Wild World and Happy Home Designer (we don't talk about Amiibo Festival).

I haven't seen anything that makes me go, "Woah, this is a gamechanger!" but it looks extremely solid and it's been long enough since New Leaf that I can get sucked into the Animal Crossing groove again.

The mayor stuff in New Leaf frustrated me with how restrictive and utterly pointless it felt. New Horizons emphasis on customization of almost anything with little restriction and direct action really does seem like enough of a breath of fresh air to draw back me in.
I mean, I hold a special place for the GC game too, but is it at all possible that part of that lies in nostalgia, for both of us?

samoscratch

Nov 25, 2017
All this Animal Crossing talk reminded me of that website that plays animal crossing music depending on what time it is. That led me to seek out a Firefox addon that could do the same and I came across Nook. It will play music from any of the games and has the rain/snow variations. There is even an option to play rain sounds and K.K. Slider at the appropriate time on Saturday. It's open source if you want to verify it doesn't do anything nefarious. It is also available on Chrome.
cool thanks!

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I mean, you still can't even turn any item diagonally and its still only 4 directions, so, are you really surprised?
I mean, yeah. Diagonal paths would be a lot easier to implement because it's just taking a tile overlay and cutting it in half. They already let you cut tiles diagonally with the water and cliff tools.

egg1111115

Nov 12, 2017
CA
Two big things I personally hope are back but possibly unlikely due to how the Switch works:
  • Streetpass model homes -- Obviously the Switch doesn't have Streetpass but this was one of the coolest uses of it. I wonder if there's a way they could implement something similar somehow (it would obviously have to be on a separate island since the island doesn't have a Main Street area)
  • Dream Suite -- I'm wondering if this requires some server setup for islands to be uploaded. But I thought it was really fun and cool to just hop onto random towns and see cool stuff people made, even the mundane stuff.
Also, as people just mentioned, it's been my dream since the first game to be able to send letters from your own town to friends without traveling to their town (Never owned City Folk, so I'm not sure if it was possible there).

Oct 27, 2017
Two big things I personally hope are back but possibly unlikely due to how the Switch works:
  • Streetpass model homes -- Obviously the Switch doesn't have Streetpass but this was one of the coolest uses of it. I wonder if there's a way they could implement something similar somehow (it would obviously have to be on a separate island since the island doesn't have a Main Street area)
  • Dream Suite -- I'm wondering if this requires some server setup for islands to be uploaded. But I thought it was really fun and cool to just hop onto random towns and see cool stuff people made, even the mundane stuff.
Also, as people just mentioned, it's been my dream since the first game to be able to send letters from your own town to friends without traveling to their town (Never owned City Folk, so I'm not sure if it was possible there).

Yep, it was possible until NL, if I'm not mistaken.

Oct 27, 2017

I find the GCN game to be one of my favorites in the series as well, along with WW (mostly bc of the online). One of the things I actually disliked about NL was the feeling of being "in charge". This time around you're just another person settling into the island (with a few privileges of your own, of course).

From what I've seen of NH, it really does look like they've implemented many long lost features from GCN and WW. That is what's making me pretty hype about the game, because they're also obviously looking to work over those features and make them better as well. We'll never have a WW or GCN game, but an AC like that in times like this would feel stagnant and unoriginal. NH allows to to keep whatever feeling you want from the game: chill and relaxing like GCN and WW or busy and filled with your designs and projects like NL.

MAX PAYMENT

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Whatever you want to get into.

Want to make friends with an imaginary koala bear?
Want to contribute to global overfishing in hopes of establishing a futile record of flora and fauna?
Want to enjoy all the fun of paying off an actual mortgage but with no interest and no physical goods in return?

I have the game for you my friend.
Lol. I dont know how to take this.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
This time around you're just another person settling into the island (with a few privileges of your own, of course).
This makes me realize: if what allows you to reshape the island is a development permit explicitly provided by Nook, Inc... dammit, you're sort of working for him again, in the end.

Join in on flowing breading. It's a mad science to get rare colors that might drive you crazy. AC is wild.
Or become a billionaire on the Turnip Market by conspiring with players from parallel dimensions to game prices.
Incidentally, I've never really gotten much into flower-breeding, but the flowers look so much nicer this time around, and there's so much to do with them, that I'm considering it. The one downside is that, as far as I'm aware, there isn't any sort of way to keep track of all the varieties/hybrids you've grown. That'd be a nice new section for the museum, actually.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Incidentally, I've never really gotten much into flower-breeding, but the flowers look so much nicer this time around, and there's so much to do with them, that I'm considering it. The one downside is that, as far as I'm aware, there isn't any sort of way to keep track of all the varieties/hybrids you've grown. That'd be a nice new section for the museum, actually.
Get ready for insanity. 60% of my town is covered in flowers at least the other 40 is mostly Perfect Peach trees. It's mad fun.

And yeah it would be nice if flowers got more recognition in the museum or somewhere. The insect/fish guide is phenomenal looking in NH. It would be really nice if there was a notebook for flower breeding too cause it's stupid complicated.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
It's also interesting that for what seems like all of the videos posted to the website, they've decided to forego all music. It's like they know I want to hear the hourly themes and they refuse to give them to me.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wait, does the 383 number count special villagers like Cyrus/Reese/Nook/KK/etc?

Because if so, I really hope Cyrus and Porter are atleast normal villagers now if they cant be used as NPCs

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The dream suite needs to return for those cool spooky weirdo towns

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
Which events aren't covered in Animal Crossing? I'd love to see new special characters on New Horizons.

Now I can think about 'Dia de muertos', Sts Valentine, San Juan (Summer beginning's night)...

Firemind

Oct 25, 2017
Watched EZA's reaction video and man I'm pumped for this. And I'm someone who passed on all the DS and 3DS games so I'm basically Brad at this point. The only thing missing are NES games. Please have some sort of arcade hall I can build...

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I wouldn't count Reese and Cyrus out of returning yet, in any case - Nook may have taken over their customization role, but nothing else we've seen so far has dealt in secondhand sales, which was always their primary function. It seems like exactly the kind of thing they'd keep in, with them emphasizing sharing an island with a bunch of other people.

... Porter, on the other hand, I'm less sure about.

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
Can someone provide me a in depth explanation of how the hybrid flowers work in Animal Crossing?

I understand the connections and which colours result in which, as well as that they need to touch, but what is actually the best combination?

As in, side by side, diagonal, where do they spawn, what are the actual odds, etc?

thecouncil

Oct 29, 2017
No, they only showed sending letters to villagers in your own town, and the way it's worded "feel free to interact with other residents" seems, to me, to imply it's only for villagers. If so, it's definitely confusing since it comes right after talking about visiting friends' towns
It specifically says "in-game" and "other residents" of your own island, and the pop-up only displays animal villagers. I'm sure you can also send cards to other human residents on your own island, but Nintendo has been leery of allowing direct online communication since that swapnote scandal. I doubt any direct online communication from one island to another island will be a feature. At best we'll get a pop-up keyboard for in-game chat and voice over ip through the app for online multiplayer.

oh christ. how lame. can't they just make some kinda "best friends" list for this crap? sheesh.

Zacmortar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I wouldn't count Reese and Cyrus out of returning yet, in any case - Nook may have taken over their customization role, but nothing else we've seen so far has dealt in secondhand sales, which was always their primary function. It seems like exactly the kind of thing they'd keep in, with them emphasizing sharing an island with a bunch of other people.

... Porter, on the other hand, I'm less sure about.
God I hope atleast Cyrus/Reese return. I'd like Porter to return too, but Flip is a better design anyway.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
Which events aren't covered in Animal Crossing? I'd love to see new special characters on New Horizons.

Now I can think about 'Dia de muertos', Sts Valentine, San Juan (Summer beginning's night)...

Saint Valentine's special character could be a teddy bear. He may give u some chocolate and a brand new love furniture series.

Dia de muertos could be Jack's brother (instead of a pumpking-head a skullbone mask). Could be great if that day we remember Tortimer and get typical things of that day.

Beginning of Summer's special character could be Captain's family who organise some kind of market on the beach where u can buy fireworks to use them at 00:00, summer accessories, ice creams...e

WaveBird

Oct 29, 2017

This is how I feel as well. It may be nostalgia (Probably is) but I enjoyed the villagers I had more and I don't really like the reliance on more of the "special" characters. Isabelle felt like a forced fan favorite to me personally. But the biggest change I disliked for the longest time was the grid based camera. I loved the old NES Zelda style camera movement from grid to grid and I really, really disliked the globe look it got later on.