• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I'm sure they will find a fun new role for Resetti. I hope they do for Isabelle too. I love how Tom Nook has shifted throughout the series, it would be cool to see other longtime fan favorites transition to other niches as well.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wow I've been watching reactions to this reveal. So many people were crying. Like the vast majority seemed to cry. It had my eyes watery.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Southern hemisphere selection is game changing.
Finally, no longer will it be miserable winter in-game during the best season of the year.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
If they went back to a top-down view, they couldn't exactly call it New Horizons, now could they?
(it was a joke, obviously there are other perspectives)

Anyway, with that name, I wouldn't be surprised if further islands were opened up (beyond those belonging to other players.) Seems like different biomes would be a surprise they might put in subsequent trailer. Or not, but we'll see.

Last edited:

Josh5890

I'm Your Favorite Poster's Favorite Poster
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have they made any comment about amiibo/cards being usable in the game? I want to feel like my card collection wasn't a waste lol

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
No new neighbor personalities worries me there's very little in expanding the neighbors and advancing them.

Auto save makes sense when you are glorious dictator of the island so there will be nothing our of your control.

I much prefer the fish-outta-water setting of arriving to an already established village versus the control everything fantasy. New Leaf gave so much control to the player that any time control was out of your hands it felt crippling and frustrating.

I'm still going to put hundreds of hours into this thing, but currently it appears their philosophy on this specific entry is the opposite side of the AC coin comparing AC on GC to NL.

refusi0n1

Oct 27, 2017
Tom Nook gentrifying animal crossing was inevitable. Blue collar jobs like those of resetti being replaced by automation will just add to the wealth gap. I mean people are cool with living in tents and shit. Digby has a job he's STILL homeless having to work in the rain. Tortimer must be spinning in his shell.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
To anyone concerned about map size, this is encouraging. Credit to a user on the Bell Tree Forums named ztc0611. Shout outs if you read this for your analysis thread.

img1

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
To anyone concerned about map size, this is encouraging. Credit to a user on the Bell Tree Forums named ztc0611. Shout outs if you read this for your analysis thread.

img1
Can't read, too small. Link doesn't work, comes up as "about:blank#blocked"
LastingConstantAcaciarat-size_restricted.gif

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Can't read, too small. Link doesn't work, comes up as "about:blank#blocked"
LastingConstantAcaciarat-size_restricted.gif

LOL the irony that it turned out so small.

Here's the text.

"This is probably one of the most important things shown all day.
Closup of the map to attempt to confirm number of acres. It appears to be 6x6, assuming the grid is using the same standard for acres as other Animal Crossing games. If this was all completely land, It would be the biggest Animal Crossing map yet, as even PG was only 5x6. However, since lots of it is taken up by water, it is probably roughly the same size as CF. This would make the new comparison of landmass WW < NL < CF ≈ NH < PG, but if you just count the number of explorable tiles it appears to be the biggest map they've ever done. The Town Plaza also strangely breaks the acre grid, which is something that was never possible for an important structure to do before this game. This map also appears to be identical to the one from the trailer, meaning it might have been hand built for the trailer and demo. (Because of the game's early state.) Also note the lack of bridges for the second time. The river seems to lack ponds, unlike all previous entries."

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
Furniture being placed outside is probably the biggest game changer for me. It was hard enough just making a house I was happy with and now the entire island is my canvas.
Goodbye future free time...

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
LOL the irony that it turned out so small.

Here's the text.

Closup of the map to attempt to confirm number of acres. It appears to be 6x6, assuming the grid is using the same standard for acres as other Animal Crossing games. If this was all completely land, It would be the biggest Animal Crossing map yet, as even PG was only 5x6. However, since lots of it is taken up by water, it is probably roughly the same size as CF. This would make the new comparison of landmass WW < NL < CF ≈ NH < PG, but if you just count the number of explorable tiles it appears to be the biggest map they've ever done. The Town Plaza also strangely breaks the acre grid, which is something that was never possible for an important structure to do before this game. This map also appears to be identical to the one from the trailer, meaning it might have been hand built for the trailer and demo. (Because of the game's early state.) Also note the lack of bridges for the second time. The river seems to lack ponds, unlike all previous entries."
URL tag was encoded for some reason. Actually, after decoding it was actually some HTML tags, not just the URL.

This seems to be the real link.
Thanks. Good news. Not that I was all that concerned about map size.
3ae45388-88d6-40d8-a27c-ca288234e40c_text.gif

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Have they said anything about amiibo or amiibo cards? Been at E3 all week so I haven't had a chance to catch up on all the treehouse news.

Nothing about amiibo or cards was mentioned at the Treehouse.

I wouldn't say that's a bad sign for them yet though since there's still 9 months to go, and at least 3 big opportunities (2 Directs and a potential AC-focused Direct) to talk about the game before release.

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
Nothing about amiibo or cards was mentioned at the Treehouse.

I wouldn't say that's a bad sign for them yet though since there's still 9 months to go, and at least 3 big opportunities (2 Directs and a potential AC-focused Direct) to talk about the game before release.

Ahh okay. Was also hoping maybe somebody in an interview had the opportunity to ask Aya or Nogami about it.

Fingers crossed my massive investment into having every AC amiibo/card will move forward into this game in some meaningful way.

ZiggyPalffyLA

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Los Angeles, California
Not sure if it's been mentioned, but:

LRJDFi7.png

Is this the first AC game with a female director? Because that could end up being really beneficial in terms of a new direction and perspective. It's already showing progress.

I don't think the new look is that much more appealing though. The New Leaf screenshot is doing some things better than New Horizons, like colors

Yeah so far the look of the game is lacking depth and color, although hopefully they'll add it before launch.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Fingers crossed my massive investment into having every AC amiibo/card will move forward into this game in some meaningful way.

I really wanted to have a large, if not complete, card collection. but they became so rare and expensive so fast. I hope they rerelease them all when NH launches.

Any good resources for people that want to collect now and not spend ludicrous amounts?

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I really wanted to have a large, if not complete, card collection. but they became so rare and expensive so fast. I hope they rerelease them all when NH launches.

Any good resources for people that want to collect now and not spend ludicrous amounts?

Honestly I am very out of the loop in terms of buying them these days. I always made sure to buy a box of each set when they first got released on amiami and that usually resulted in obtaining 90-100% of the set and I would just pick up the few I was missing on ebay. Since I bought sealed boxes I actually have lots of duplicates.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
GOD, I am so grateful for what we're seeing with this new Animal Crossing. Some of the fucking smallest, most minimal features that I've been missing since GC/WW/CF are actually returning in this game, and it's really exciting. Being able to have a split river, cliff levels (I honestly thought no one really cared about this one), and a larger town were features I missed heavily in New Leaf. Your character no longer being locked behind gender-specific hair (OR EVEN FACES??!) is incredible, and alongside skin-tone options, I might actually be able to make a character that represents me better. (I will never forget tanning being the sole way of being a brown person in AC... lol)

I know we still haven't seen much of the game, but at this point, I only have a small batch of (probably incredibly nitpicky) things I'd like to see make it into NH, lol;

- Being able to potentially have double cliff levels (something we only saw in GC)

- A larger limit of animal villagers (I hope they can get it up to 15 like the original)

- And this is the biggest one for me, but a camera toggle option to bring it to a top-down perspective (again, like in GC)
We saw a scene in the trailer that specifically had this top-down angle I'm talking about, but it definitely seems that it was framed that way for the sake of the trailer in showing the consecutive progress in that particular spot, but here's a gif of the part I'm talking about;

AlarmingEvenGadwall-size_restricted.gif

Look at thiiissss. There's just something I really can't explain about the top-down perspective that feels so cozy. Not seeing the sky while you move around makes the environment feel more secluded, and there's something about that that I really really like? Now, I was never big on the rolling log perspective they've had since Wild World, but it's clearly a series staple thing now. But with what control options we have moving to the Switch, I'd love to see the C-Stick function as a way of dragging the camera to a fixed angle so you can have whatever perspective you prefer. It's such a small thing, but right now, my BIGGEST wish for this game. Lol.

Real talk, if there was a way I could communicate this to the dev team with how much more time is left before release that I believe would mean enough time to incorporate this kind of feature, I'd love for them to know how much I want it. ;_;

mnk

Nov 11, 2017
I'm not too worried about island size. I have faith it'll either magically expand or there will be other places to colonize in addition to the island. They say there's only one island, but that could be classic misdirect because the other locations aren't islands, lol.

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Is this the first AC game with a female director? Because that could end up being really beneficial in terms of a new direction and perspective. It's already showing progress.

She directed Animal Crossing: New Leaf (3DS) and Animal Crossing Plaza (Wii U) and then was co-producer/supervisor of the series under Nogami until Isao Moro mysteriously resigned from Nintendo - then she had to step back into the director seat.

Oct 25, 2017
- And this is the biggest one for me, but a camera toggle option to bring it to a top-down perspective (again, like in GC)
We saw a scene in the trailer that specifically had this top-down angle I'm talking about, but it definitely seems that it was framed that way for the sake of the trailer in showing the consecutive progress in that particular spot, but here's a gif of the part I'm talking about;

AlarmingEvenGadwall-size_restricted.gif

Look at thiiissss. There's just something I really can't explain about the top-down perspective that feels so cozy. Not seeing the sky while you move around makes the environment feel more secluded, and there's something about that that I really really like? Now, I was never big on the rolling log perspective they've had since Wild World, but it's clearly a series staple thing now. But with what control options we have moving to the Switch, I'd love to see the C-Stick function as a way of dragging the camera to a fixed angle so you can have whatever perspective you prefer. It's such a small thing, but right now, my BIGGEST wish for this game. Lol.

Real talk, if there was a way I could communicate this to the dev team with how much more time is left before release that I believe would mean enough time to incorporate this kind of feature, I'd love for them to know how much I want it. ;_;

I feel that having more control over the camera would have a very positive impact on making the game feel more personal.

Last edited:

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA

img1
Need a better picture. I can't read.

I feel that having more control over the camera would have massive impact on making the game feel more personal.

Was it confirmed there will be a top-down camera and rolling horizons camera?

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
Need a better picture. I can't read.

See
Here's the text.

Oct 25, 2017
Hmmm... how do you mean? O:
I feel that if it's merely an option, one could just ignore it and experience the game as normal.

No no, I mean it would feel more personal being able to get a better view, and see your village from more angles. The diorama fixed-angle look to me makes it feel like I'm looking into a box rather than a part of the world I'm playing in. I'm completely and totally for more camera control.

DaToonie

Oct 26, 2017
No no, I mean it would feel more personal being able to get a better view, and see your village from more angles. The diorama fixed-angle look to me makes it feel like I'm looking into a box rather than a part of the world I'm playing in. I'm completely and totally for more camera control.

OH, whoops! My peanut brain interpreted "impact" as "negative impact", lol.
I get where you're coming from with the top-down angle. Though the 'looking into a box' feel of it was definitely what made it so charming for me, heh. And yeah, I'd be over the moon if camera control were a thing at some point.

TheDeep1974

Oct 26, 2017
Just a shower thought:

The island is just a place you can visit, perhaps using a sea plane, just like you could visit the city in Animal Crossing City Folk. This would explain the size as shown in the Treehouse presentation which was quite small.

So basically, there will be a "normal" main town in the game.

amusix

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
I don't know...this still looks tiny to me. I'm REALLY hoping that this was purely a demo map, but I don't have much confidence in that (at this point, it's all guessing, and it's less common for a map like this to be made for e3).

Looking at this map, it seems that the acreage of the town runs from 2:2 to 5:5. The entire 1 row of the town is reduced to a sliver before the cliff, and the 1 and 6 columns and the 6 row are beaches. Yes, we can build on the beach this time, but even that is limited (doesn't seem like you can completely landscape there) and the water still takes up half of those acres (more in the case of 6:1 and 6:6).
Finally, for some reason, AC acres have always felt smaller ever since they went to the rolling log presentation.

img1.png

Of course, the most important issue is that they have not announced how many gyroids will be in NH....

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
The acres on the map are definitely longer west-to-east than they are north-to-south. This is the best quality image of the map I've seen and it seems like the acres are roughly 80x110 pixels which suggests 16x22 spaces per acre rather than the 16x16 standard we've had until now.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Auto-save is excellent. It should be a constant thing going on behind the scenes, without ever stopping the game, which should mean that people joining and leaving your town no longer makes you wait forever as the game always saved at those points. This was a huge pain when you were having a large number of people over for turnips or something, and could've been even worse with the new 8 player limit. However, with auto-save, the game not stopping, it should be seamless.