• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

APerfectOrganism

Sky Van Gogh
Dec 23, 2018
Washington State
Annnnnd rebought New Leaf. I played about 30 hours back when it first came out and I loved it, but ran out of time because college...

Time to dive back in as I wait. This looks great

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Am I the only one happy with crafting?
I think it works for animal crossing. Realisitcally you get to a point where you spend a lot of time griding money anyway using one or two over-centralized methods (looking at you tropical island), so by breaking everything up all the little tasks will hopefully remain useful and keep up the variety. I think it's always easy to dismiss crafting a trend-chasing but it could be a really smart idea here

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
The lighting is really flat. And the materials are very uninspired too.

Just looks bland to me. I expected a jump from Pocket Camp.
I kind of get your complaint about the materials.

Most will think this is quite silly, but I agree that the material we collect by chopping trees etc feels.. cheap? One thing that I love in AC is how everything feels so organic to the game. I am a tad concerned about this and the introduction of crafting, so it is good that they have some more months to work on this kind of detail.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
Looks good. Instead of a ready made town, the pushed it back to just a camp site, it should increase the busy work and looks like way more people can be i on the same island!

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal

As a gigantic fan of Animal Crossing since the very first one, crafting is the best thing they could have done, next to having access to the catalog from the get-go

Buying furniture can get tedious in Animal Crossing because you just have to WAIT for it to appear in Nook's store , and if it wasn't there you would have to wait until the next day.

Now that crafting is introduced, once you get the "recipe" or however you get the ability to make it, you can make whatever furniture you want, whenever.

And gathering materials is just going to double/triple the amount of time I already put into this game!!

ngower

Nov 20, 2017
The delay kills me but at least I can play the 2019 games without AC hijacking my free time

ShinUltramanJ

Oct 27, 2017
You can do your laundry and hang it outside??

Oh man, I'm so in for this. New Leaf was the only AC I'd ever really bothered with, so I'm hoping this has fossils and a museum.

Oct 25, 2017
For the people down on crafting, I'm sure Nook will help you out for a ***few*** bells.

***Few= 100,000*** Cause Nook has to eat too.

Enduin

You look 40
Oct 25, 2017
New York
I'm stoked about crafting, but I want more. Really hope there's more tools for more unique custom furniture and items. It's good if people don't have to engage in that heavily, but for a lot of people that's a huge draw, customizing your house and entire town was awesome and people did some really amazing things in New Leaf and I really want to see what kind of batshit insane stuff people can come up with here. More tools and a wider array of things people can customize and generate themselves from patterns to actual objects means exponential more potential. Especially if they create a kind of shop or portal for people to quickly and easily share their creations with the wider community.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Huge Animal Crossing fan, played every entry, played New Leaf for 600+ hours... and I'm sadly pretty underwhelmed by this.
Visually I was expecting a bigger upgrade, it's pleasant but bland, and on the whole it just seems like a marginal upgrade in many respects.

Considering how big of a jump forward New Leaf was, the fact it's almost 7 years old now and the 3DS to Switch power increase I was expecting a lot more.

woopWOOP

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I was super into New Leaf because I could slowly shape the town into something I wanted while getting attached to the villagers there.
Starting on a deserted island and shaping that into something you want sounds super appealing to me.

Oh, and the crafting part sounds pretty fun too. Looking forward to it!

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Everything about this game looks amazing!
I was day 1 before the official announcement, lol.
I can't wait to use my voucher on this!

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
These look gorgeous. I love the graphics and the rain. Also love the fact that your neighbors are wearing cozy clothing during winter.

However, I miss the texture on grass and snow. It looks insanely smooth, and there's almost no triangle/circle patterns which I loved.

I actually prefer this stylistic choice of no more patterns.

But if people are right and Nintendo does a graphical pass at the end, those ground textures will either look much better, or they'll add the patterns.

lazybones18

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Trailer and Treehouse footage left me giddy as fuck. Take all the time you need, I'm there Day 1. Now whether this manages to take time away from Shadowbringers will be the ultimate test

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I feel like Gamexplain called this dead on in their Nintendo prediction video earlier. Animal Crossing at sea and you take a plane in.
I'm actively not trying to be peeved at the fact that they so blatantly tried to pass off insider info as predictions AGAIN. Listen, I know you want people to watch your videos, but when you start off your predictions video with everyone saying "ah of course Animal Crossing is delayed to early 2020" like it's a forgone conclusion, people aren't going to think you're insightful analysts. You're just leakers.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I kind of get your complaint about the materials.

Most will think this is quite silly, but I agree that the material we collect by chopping trees etc feels.. cheap? One thing that I love in AC is how everything feels so organic to the game. I am a tad concerned about this and the introduction of crafting, so it is good that they have some more months to work on this kind of detail.
This is a valid and interesting point that warrants discussion, but I think the post you quoted was referring to the material data that the renderer uses to simulate lighting.

EDIT: damn DP, sorry about that

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
It looks amazing, but my only concern was the lack of a New Leaf-style Main Street with shops, etc. Is that just something you'll have to build up over time? That would be fine, but I hope that stuff isn't missing entirely.

Castform

Banned
Jan 10, 2018
Florida, United States
Like:

y8bsrPw_d.jpg

What is this? I'm not trying to play some town management game. I just want to chill with my villagers and make natural paths. Not these super straight lines that makes it look like a Tycoon game. Maybe it will grow on me with more gameplay. I hope this is a side area

Yes! It doesn't feel nearly as calm and cozy as past games, and I'm not sure I like that. Hopefully it'll still be possible to do stuff like make a Tom Nook store at least.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Yes! It doesn't feel nearly as calm and cozy as past games, and I'm not sure I like that. Hopefully it'll still be possible to do stuff like make a Tom Nook store at least.
I feel like I've entered the god damned Twilight Zone. For years I've been bitching about how New Leaf felt manufactured, superficial, and deviant from the spirit of Animal Crossing due to the unreasonable scenario it manufactured. And now, seeing a game that is on paper far more radically different from the original game, and far more ridiculous in scenario, I'm instantly charmed.

New Leaf fans, I now understand how you felt about my whiny posts over the years and various accounts, and more than anything I'm just confused.

Bionic

Oct 27, 2017
I'm crying right now as I'm typing this thread… We did it bois! We did it! I couldn't even more happier today! See you Isabelle! I love everything I've seen so far! THANK YOU NINTENDO!!
There are many female fans of Animal Crossing who have been very vocal about a new Animal Crossing. I invite you to consider how to talk more inclusively on the internet!

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
"It's not getting delayed lol yall are idiots"

"There's no reason to think it's delayed"

"They said back at the investor conference that all games slated for 2019 would come out in 2019"

Yeah about that
Pretty much lol. Glad I prepped myself beforehand. I said it before, this situation wasn't like "Xenoblade" or "Smash" at all. We went 3/4s of a year without seeing anything besides a title so a delay seemed very possible.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
This is a valid and interesting point that warrants discussion, but I think the post you quoted was referring to the material data that the renderer uses to simulate lighting.

EDIT: damn DP, sorry about that
Oh, thanks for pointing that out! For a moment I thought there was another crazy fan annoyed with the crafting materials. I watched Treehouse gameplay again, and these pieces of wood keep bothering me lol

The game looks good in general, but I agree with the sentiment that it doesn't feel as cozy as the past entries. Although I enjoy games like dragon quest builders, they have lots of busywork that I get tired of after some days. AC was always different in this sense, and I was hoping for some new mechanics to enhance its chill vibe. Well, I am sure they will show nice surprises in the next months.

Kyuur

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Looks great. As someone who dug the first AC more than latter titles, it kind of gave me the same feeling because they weren't focusing on something on than this place you just moved to.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I mean, all you have to do is watch the treehouse footage to set those fears at ease. They constantly reiterated that you could "pull weeds to sell, IF you want to! You don't have to!"

Do you not think it'll be the same for those paths and fences and things like that? People built the SHIT out of their new leaf towns with crazy paths and decorations, and I kept mine completely untouched - no paths, not many public works projects, etc. Because that's what I'm used to (GameCube boi here).

I've no doubt this will be the same, I don't think they'll gatekeep something like the museum or something behind making your town into a little city - I think they just saw the lengths people went to, to try things like that in new leaf and they're accommodating.

Just look at this, how is this not good old, cozy animal crossing, devoid of all that Shit that you and I hate?!
animalcrossing1-4faf276e1be3cc98a52d3a998515e8a8-800x400.jpg

Nesther

Oct 27, 2017
Switzerland
I love that they're adding all these new systems. I probably would've been fine with an HD New Leaf, but I can see all these options giving this game so much more longevity.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
heck yeah, represent!

One of the many things I love about New Horizons is that it's so radical and innovative that it feels suitably supplemental to the GCN version, like I could play both at once and feel like I'm getting markedly different experiences between them. In fact, I'm thinking about picking up a GameCube.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
In the first animal crossing you could find nes games

They should take it further in this one and let you find GameCube games

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Although I enjoy games like dragon quest builders, they have lots of busywork that I get tired of after some days. AC was always different in this sense, and I was hoping for some new mechanics to enhance its chill vibe.
I don't want to seem adversarial because you seem as chill as Animal Crossing itself, but this is a matter of opinion. A lot of tasks in Animal Crossing in the past felt like busywork to me because of how prescribed and static they were. You have to find the day's three fossils, donate them, check for the money rock, speak to everyone you want to stay twice, etc.

Contrastingly, New Horizons feels like its tasks are all driven by the motivations of the player. You want to clean up and develop an area? It'll take effort, but you can do it! It feels like the world is more formidable and substantial, rather than a machine or toy that is serviced by the player's input. Before the Direct I had hoped that they would accomplish this by doubling down on the villager simulation aspects, dialogue and such that made the GameCube original so charming and compelling, but I'm blown away and excited by how this looks.

Also, I can't believe how freaking beautiful this game is! I haven't ogled screenshots like this since I was a thirteen year old waiting for Mario Kart 8.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I know it's a small thing but I am so happy there is a pathing system in this game.
Annoyed me so much in New Leaf

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Looked really good. Switch is going to have a great second-half of 2019 and 2020.

FearMyWrench

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I'm actively not trying to be peeved at the fact that they so blatantly tried to pass off insider info as predictions AGAIN. Listen, I know you want people to watch your videos, but when you start off your predictions video with everyone saying "ah of course Animal Crossing is delayed to early 2020" like it's a forgone conclusion, people aren't going to think you're insightful analysts. You're just leakers.

That seems like a pretty bold assumption to make. There's plenty of us who expected a delay, without any insider info, just based off the information presented in front of us. Announced 9 months ago with not a single detail, not present in announced playable games (odd for a 2019 release), otherwise packed release line-up for the end of the year...

enzo_gt

Oct 25, 2017
Okay so I watched the Treehouse Live and am looking for some clarification if I understood correctly:

So instead of individual save files, this game essentially has "islands" that multiple local accounts can access? So, theoretically, me and my girlfriend can have different user profiles on the Switch, but have houses on the same island. Sometimes she can play alone on that island, sometimes I can play alone, but we can also couch co-op and it's all persistent?

If so, this is pretty much perfect for me.

Definitely. My girlfriend hates most videogames but can put hours into animal crossing. So many random tasks to do and goals you can set for yourself. The designing and organization are great outlets to relax for people.

You can come back days, weeks, months or years later. Will always be there moving on without you, haha.
I showed my girlfriend, who doesn't play video games, this trailer, and she was so into it; I'm super excited for us to have something we can play relaxingly together that has a bit of life in it.

Crafting, implemented by Nintendo who won't bend to the grindiness that ills of other crafting systems in the gaming industry, pretty much has no negative to me. It was great in Pocket Camp, it'll be even better here.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
4-player local co-op at the same time? This was my main wish for the game. I am SO happy right now.

FearMyWrench

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
So instead of individual save files, this game essentially has "islands" that multiple local accounts can access? So, theoretically, me and my girlfriend can have different user profiles on the Switch, but have houses on the same island. Sometimes she can play alone on that island, sometimes I can play alone, but we can also couch co-op and it's all persistent?

That's pretty much how existing Animal Crossing games work, minus the couch co-op part. So I'd say yes.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
Wondering how online will work or local multiplayer with two switches. My wife and I will certainly have our own copies, so while I'd love to be part of her town, I doubt they'll have such a thing outside of being on the same system.