• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

GasProblem

Prophet of Truth
Nov 18, 2017
The fact you can decorate the whole island has me excited. I'm ready to make a Halloween island in October.

Oct 25, 2017
Looks nice, but I wish they showed more of the new mechanics or what sets this entry apart.

Right now it's just AC Swith with an island concept.

Also, for the love of God, please be compatible with all the AC amiibo.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Looks nice, but I wish they showed more of the new mechanics or what sets this entry apart.

Right now it's just AC Swith with an island concept.

Also, for the love of God, please be compatible with all the AC amiibo.
They completely reengineered how progression in the game works! How is that not setting the game apart? Furthermore, if you were making an Animal Crossing game, how would you set it apart?

EDIT: Added a critical word "not"

Last edited:

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I wouldn't worry too much about size of the island/whether or not the shop/museum/etc will be there - they're not going to make the "next console animal crossing" smaller in scope than the last handheld one. The game is still just under a year out, and they really only showed us a sliver here.

Someone already posted it to make this point, but go watch the original new leaf teaser trailer to compare - they barely scratched the surface there, too.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
You need to start making forgeries for Nook in order to get a certain someone to pay you a visit maybe lol.
Here is a quote from the article :
"If the player chooses to stay in the tent, Tom Nook may say 'Hey, actually, that guy likes living more of an outdoorsy, wild life,'" Kyogoku said. "So he may not see the necessity of adding new resident support services. But then if you do upgrade to a house, he may see a need for some sort of new facility."
So it seems it is both how you improve your island and if you pay your debt.
That's an interesting mechanic because in the end you can still choose your lifestyle.

Aleh

Oct 27, 2017
Thoughts:

- Art style is not what I thought they would go for. The color palette is brighter, textures are simpler, but there's a big focus on small details and visual clarity. I like it, but can be improved still.
- Obviously they haven't shown it yet, but we'll be able to slowly get the shops, museum, and everything else back. I just hope there's gonna be more variety here.
- Island looks small, but I'm happy it's tiered again. There might be separate areas too who knows.
- Crafting makes a lot of sense for this game.
- Placing furniture outside: a much better and versatile version of public work projects.
- Proper paths: FINALLY! I hope there's more than just one style though.

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
I went ahead and scheduled a few vacation days off work around release for this. This is going to be a dreadful wait, but I'm glad they were transparent about the delay now and glad it will help ensure quality.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
This was gorgeous but the delay was an absolute soul crusher. I didn't want to believe they were delaying the game pre-E3 but I admit I was very skeptical when they didn't announce it as the feature title for the show and was straight up worried when they didn't list it as a playable title on the show floor.

People thinking the game is too small scale based off of one short trailer are being silly. We're gonna have 8 player multiplayer, you're gonna need a bigger area for that

And I know it was already teased in Smash but hooray for darker skin tones

PK_Wonder

One Winged Slayer
Mar 22, 2018
Isn't that mechanic in every AC since Animal Forest?

To some extent and with limited features, your house upgrade progress has always had some mechanics and perks held back with it.

but in this game, based on the demo map, there's no convenience store, museum, post office, police station, etc. until you progress, whereas in other games those are part of an established village you are moving into. Also special NPCs would usually visit your town regardless on progress based on calendar. Again, they won't be popping up until your town is more developed this time.

Pretty big change that makes your upgrade goals more rewarding.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Isn't that mechanic in every AC since Animal Forest?
Not to that degree. Here you basically start from scratch. In previous AC games, you had the village in place, some shops and facilities. The feeling was rather" you are moving to a new place". Sure there was new things happening, new facilities, upgrades and so on but this is the first time it's up to you to create the village.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Crafting was already in New Leaf to a certain degree with Cyrus and his crystals. Obviously it's super expanded upon in New Horizons, but I'm excited for this. I don't think you'll have to craft everything. It's probably beginning stuff like that crappy axe and certain sets. I'm sure as soon as you build a store you'll be able to purchase items like always. Also the NookMiles remind me of those MEOW tickets or something in New Leaf.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm probably not the only person to say something, but the island looks very small to me and that has me a bit worried. Should I be?
No.

If they're expanding multiplayer from 4 to 8 they are not going to make the playground smaller. It's probably the same size as before, or maybe you move on to a bigger island when the time comes, or they are going to dig up land to expand the island or something. We'll just have to wait and see, but I shouldn't worry. Maybe the stores are all going to be in their own big (online?) hub area, so there doesn't need to be any dedicated space for that on the island then. It'll be fine.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I was surprised how few animals they showed. I hope we get at least one new species.
I mean, it's 9 months away, don't worry there will be plenty revealed later ! New species is a given also I think.
The animals shown at least were looking great. I loved the shader/fur effect on them...it reminds me of Yoshi Crafted world.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Everyone knows if in the pauses in Treehouse live is there some Animal Crossing New Horizons OST? They did exactly this thing (playing Super Mario Odyssey OST) before. And i am sure they did it with other games as well.

Last edited:

depward

Oct 29, 2017
Sort of on topic... but with the delay, does anyone have any suggestions for AC-like games they've enjoyed on the Switch?

Already have and played Stardew. While definitely fun, I do get a little anxious from the daily time restriction.

Could New Leaf it up but have already plugged hours into it and have already recently done a from-scratch town again.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
While I'm excited for a new AC and will pick it up regardless, I have to express some mild disappointment with the visuals. Some of the stylistic touches I always appreciated seem to be taking a step back, deliberately or not. For example, the snow textures always had patternized stuff on them. Now they just look like spotted gradations of dark/light. Just google search "animal crossing snow" or "winter" and you'll easily be reminded of the pattern look to the various games' snow environments. They kinda made it blander and generic. I love the bushy tops on the trees but the woodgrain on various wooden objects (and the patterns on tree trunks & rocks) are softened and very muted. That's lamentable.

The few buildings I saw don't look as stylized either. I always liked the skewing and tapering they did to some of the right angles. It made things feel more quirky and off-kilter. Less sterile. There's clear strides away from that in the footage present.

But I do love the water, and the shoreline looked hypnotically pretty. I could stare at that all day (and probably will). It's a definite improvement. The day-night cycle also seems really clean, even though it was sped up in the trailer. It's also nice seeing details like the tree trunks receiving distinct shadows from their leafy coverings.

On a side note, it's odd that Nook has a crafting-ish space when Cyrus and Reese seem far more appropriate for this feature.

BlueManifest

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
F7cy0PZ.png

vWQLUt2.png

rAutJh3.png

Concerns over graphics are utterly insane to me. Look at this god damn art style, it's gorgeous.
The trees with the leaves moving in the wind is what looked good to me, brought a lot more to the feel of the game than the dead trees of past games

depward

Oct 29, 2017
Haven't played these, but I've heard good things about Yonder: Cloud Catcher Chronicle, and My Time at Portia.
Yeah. Basically up to those two. One seems really light on stuff but looks beautiful (Yonder) they other seemingly has lots of performance problems (Portia).

I'll take a look... thanks!

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
While I'm excited for a new AC and will pick it up regardless, I have to express some mild disappointment with the visuals. Some of the stylistic touches I always appreciated seem to be taking a step back, deliberately or not. For example, the snow textures always had patternized stuff on them. Now they just look like spotted gradations of dark/light. Just google search "animal crossing snow" or "winter" and you'll easily be reminded of the pattern look to the various games' snow environments. They kinda made it blander and generic. I love the bushy tops on the trees but the woodgrain on various wooden objects (and the patterns on tree trunks & rocks) are softened and very muted. That's lamentable.
Yes, I certainly agree with you. But I really believe these are small touches they will work on during the next months, as it seems very unreasonable they would abandon these stylistic staples of the series. Probably only by the AC Direct in Jan or Feb 2020 we will have a better idea of how the game will look like aesthetically.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've only just thought of this, but there's probably a good chance they removed the patterns on the ground due to the fact that there are now so many different things to grow/remove/etc.

Even putting furniture down, it probably looks better on ground that has minimal patterning to it.

I could be wrong though.

RealDealRusty

Jan 8, 2019
Finally, have a chance to post. I am HYPED guys! I think the UI, new look and additions look great.

I hope you get the Museum and the like back, and that crafting doesn't replace hunting down rare quirky furniture.

I also hope there is a lot of Splatoon furniture!

Beje

Oct 27, 2017
I've only just thought of this, but there's probably a good chance they removed the patterns on the ground due to the fact that there are now so many different things to grow/remove/etc.

Even putting furniture down, it probably looks better on ground that has minimal patterning to it.

I could be wrong though.

Well, I really rather have specific tools for fences, paths and roads than having to import a couple dozen patterns and constantly being careful not to accidentally pick them up off the ground.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Oh, those patterns. If you look at screenshots they're still there, just in a more subtle fashion in selected spots instead of a plain flat warping texture.
Lmao - I know - that's what I'm saying. A lot of people were bummed that they weren't as apparent, but I was saying in my comment a few posts up that the reason for that is probably because there's so much more that'll be on the ground now, and perhaps it looked too busy and cluttered with things like crafting materials, weeds, flowers, furniture, etc. - all on top of an already busily patterned (grass) ground.

ZeroRed

Oct 27, 2017
Lmao - I know - that's what I'm saying. A lot of people were bummed that they weren't as apparent, but I was saying in my comment a few posts up that the reason for that is probably because there's so much more that'll be on the ground now, and perhaps it looked too busy and cluttered with things like crafting materials, weeds, flowers, furniture, etc. - all on top of an already busily patterned (grass) ground.

I noticed them sparsely sprinkled in the grass, and that's totally fine, that's just a change in the blanket application of them... but the snow and sand didn't show any signs of using it all.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Finally, have a chance to post. I am HYPED guys! I think the UI, new look and additions look great.

I hope you get the Museum and the like back, and that crafting doesn't replace hunting down rare quirky furniture.

I also hope there is a lot of Splatoon furniture!
Based on IGN article, facilities will be added progressively based on your progression and debt payment.

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading the talk some more about patterns and am skimming through the Treehouse gameplay demo, this time focusing on small details.

There's honestly a decent amount of the grass pattern, and in my opinion it's nicer this way scattered around than solely consisting of it. I prefer the way it looks now and hope they don't go too overboard with the patterns.

NiteJohn

Oct 25, 2017
After about a decade, I'm now interested in a Animal Crossing game. I like the first but it got boring to me after a while. Now that there is progression I might get it.

I hope it not just fluffy and you really have to buckle down and work hard. Because that was what was boring to me, nothing really mattered in the end.

Deleted member 48434

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 8, 2018
Sydney
I feel a really simple thing to ask for would be more engaging ways to earn bells beyond fishing.
Give us minigames pls.
I guess fishing would be the only possible thing at first though, huh.

Oct 25, 2017
They completely reengineered how progression in the game works! How is that not setting the game apart? Furthermore, if you were making an Animal Crossing game, how would you set it apart?

EDIT: Added a critical word "not"

Yea, they did. I just wish they showed more of it and more of the mechanics. We mostly just saw a little bit of crafting. Look, ideally, I wanted a big, fat AC Direct stuffed inside my E3 Nintendo Direct. I'm starved dammit. T_T

As for how to set it apart, the obvious, easy, arm-chair answer is robust online with friends all freely visiting eachothers' towns, roaming around, etc. Also maybe tweak artstyle/camera perspective more.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been reading the talk some more about patterns and am skimming through the Treehouse gameplay demo, this time focusing on small details.

There's honestly a decent amount of the grass pattern, and in my opinion it's nicer this way scattered around than solely consisting of it. I prefer the way it looks now and hope they don't go too overboard with the patterns.
You know, at first I hated it, but I actually agree with you.
After about a decade, I'm now interested in a Animal Crossing game. I like the first but it got boring to me after a while. Now that there is progression I might get it.
I hope it not just fluffy and you really have to buckle down and work hard. Because that was what was boring to me, nothing really mattered in the end.
I mean, I'd argue that you had to work hard in previous ones depending on what you wanted to get out of it. Completing your house, and various other goals in the towns took a lot of time and hard work. But even then, and regarding your last sentiment - I don't really think Animal Crossing is meant to be a "means to an end" game. The whole point is that it has no end, you're loading up your town to just go hang out, and yeah there's stuff to do there - but I don't think that stuff is "the point" of the game necessarily.

Oct 27, 2017
After a full night rest, I wanna say my hype is probably 80% back now.

The game is indeed gorgeous. I love the art style they went to. And of course, the little details in the land and weather. And really, crafting seems like a great idea. All I'm really hoping are these things. If Nintendo gets all of these right, it might be a 10/10 Animal Crossing for me:
  • That we can have, at some point, a much bigger land (and have all of our stuff transfered)
  • To have, at least, 10 animal neighbors in our town/island/whatever (13 would be a pretty perfect amount of villagers)
  • That they somehow add more patterned grass and snow
  • Thay they, PLEASE, don't dumb down the already dumbed down dialogue with neighbors (please let it not become a game where you have to constantly spam your neighbors for blue prints)

NiteJohn

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, I'd argue that you had to work hard in previous ones depending on what you wanted to get out of it. Completing your house, and various other goals in the towns took a lot of time and hard work. But even then, and regarding your last sentiment - I don't really think Animal Crossing is meant to be a "means to an end" game. The whole point is that it has no end, you're loading up your town to just go hang out, and yeah there's stuff to do there - but I don't think that stuff is "the point" of the game necessarily.
What I meant was that:
1. Animal Crossing never had progression that I found interesting.
2. This game seem to have a progression system I'm interested in.
3. I hope that this progression system isn't fluffy. That you have to really work for things. That it's not just Animal Crossing laid back with crafting.

I want to really build my town. Choose where thing go and when thing get there. For me I want AC: A New Beginning not AC: Story of Seasons. I like micro-managing.