• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 17207

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What I meant was that:
1. Animal Crossing never had progression that I found interesting.
2. This game seem to have a progression system I'm interested in.
3. I hope that this progression system isn't fluffy. That you have to really work for things. That it's not just Animal Crossing laid back with crafting.

I want to really build my town. Choose where thing go and when thing get there. For me I want AC: A New Beginning not AC: Story of Seasons. I like micro-managing.
Ah, that's fair. As someone who loves "Animal Crossing laid back", I really hope it's both. I hope that all of the options are there for those who want them, but also that it makes sense and that the game is still satisfying for someone who wants to sort of "stop halfway" and just chill and enjoy what they've built. I imagine that's exactly what they're going for.

JoRu

Oct 25, 2017
I'm eager to see more, but for me this is doing good things to make what you do feel meaningful and really gives you control to build something from scratch into something more unique and personal compared to previous games.

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
After a full night rest, I wanna say my hype is probably 80% back now.

The game is indeed gorgeous. I love the art style they went to. And of course, the little details in the land and weather. And really, crafting seems like a great idea. All I'm really hoping are these things. If Nintendo gets all of these right, it might be a 10/10 Animal Crossing for me:
  • That we can have, at some point, a much bigger land (and have all of our stuff transfered)
  • To have, at least, 10 animal neighbors in our town/island/whatever (13 would be a pretty perfect amount of villagers)
  • That they somehow add more patterned grass and snow
  • That they, PLEASE, don't dumb down the already dumbed down dialogue with neighbors (please let it not become a game where you have to constantly spam your neighbors for blue prints)
This is a big one for me too, but not really in terms of a means to attain certain things, but because in the gamecube Animal Crossing, you could spend so much time just talking to the animals because they had SO much to talk about, and those conversations could get deep, they could be hilarious, they could be helpful, interesting, etc. The last few games have really watered it down to "HEY MAN I LIKE TO WORK OUT BTW DOES THIS SHIRT LOOK GOOD ON ME?!" - New Leaf dumbed them down so much that eventually I just found myself not even caring about talking to them :(

Oct 27, 2017
This is a big one for me too, but not really in terms of a means to attain certain things, but because in the gamecube Animal Crossing, you could spend so much time just talking to the animals because they had SO much to talk about, and those conversations could get deep, they could be hilarious, they could be helpful, interesting, etc. The last few games have really watered it down to "HEY MAN I LIKE TO WORK OUT BTW DOES THIS SHIRT LOOK GOOD ON ME?!" - New Leaf dumbed them down so much that eventually I just found myself not even caring about talking to them :(

I know, right? I mean, even GCN AC had bits of those moments. I kinda wish they'd bring back that option where you could do 'jobs' for them, so you could keep another option exclusively for conversations. I probably did the same thing you did. I think Wild World had more of the "take X this gift and I'll reward you with this" moments, but the dialogue was still kinda okay. I fear they're focusing way too much on new features, that they really forget about some of the most memorable aspects of the game (this also happend in NL, as you said).

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Made some GIFs

The way the rain hits the water looks so nice, you're even able to see it effect the water in the bucket.

Leaves blowing in the wind and snow coming across the screen are also soothing, as well as digging up trees to relocate them.

Some path creation and we can see picking flowers doesn't destroy them, hopefully making gardens/flower breeding much easier.

Bridge not needed.

Oct 27, 2017
I can tolerate the delay. I'm not a rabid AC fan, which helps, but given that the game will take over my life when it arrives it gives me nine months to clear my backlog. Looks so good though.

Last edited:

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I know, right? I mean, even GCN AC had bits of those moments. I kinda wish they'd bring back that option where you could do 'jobs' for them, so you could keep another option exclusively for conversations. I probably did the same thing you did. I think Wild World had more of the "take X this gift and I'll reward you with this" moments, but the dialogue was still kinda okay. I fear they're focusing way too much on new features, that they really forget about some of the most memorable aspects of the game (this also happend in NL, as you said).
My dude, I've been asking for that option back since they showed the removal of it in a Wild World gameplay video lol.

We're completely on the same page. I made a big post about it in the pre-Direct thread, but yeah - I feel as though they've spent the past few iterations focusing more and more on the sort of "me, me, me" aspects of Animal Crossing. "Look at my house!", "Look at my town!", "Look at my patterns!" - and the focus on that notion of AC just being a game about hanging out with your interesting and kooky animal neighbours has become less so over each game.

I really hope that while they've spent time developing the sort of "individual experience" of this game even further (crafting, town building, etc.) - they've also gone back to refine that other aspect of it. The animals shouldn't just be a backdrop or a sidenote, they should be just as much the focus as everything else. This being said, pretty much everything I see from AC fans, whether on reddit or elsewhere, is about the former aspect I said above - and not about "look what this animal said to me!". Maybe we're just out of touch when it comes to why people love this franchise lol. So many of the new features New Leaf added, the dream suite, the model home area (or whatever it was called - didn't use it often at all), all of it were sort of focused on that. Even Pocket Camp really reinforces that notion to the nth degree I think - and it's really too bad.

If they want to keep the franchise being called "Animal Crossing", they really gotta step it up in the "Animal" department - because it's slowly getting to the point where they might as well drop that and develop their own take on Stardew Valley, or farming simulator or something. What's the incentive to build a cool town for my Animal neighbours when they're all boring as hell to communicate with?

semiconscious

Banned
Nov 10, 2017
Thay they, PLEASE, don't dumb down the already dumbed down dialogue with neighbors (please let it not become a game where you have to constantly spam your neighbors for blue prints)...

yes! my #1 problem with new leaf! unfortunately, i don't have high hopes of nintendo addressing this. i still spend a few minutes each day in my wild world town, & can't help but notice that some of the neighbor dialog in it just wouldn't fly in today's environment. as they say, 'dying is easy. comedy is hard'. oh, well :) ...

NiteJohn

Oct 25, 2017
Yes, AC is a game supposed to be played for months and years, I also hope it takes a shit ton of time to progress.
Yes, I want something I can do routinely with a hard investment so that years later when I look at the game I can remember the work I put in to it. Something that even if I stop playing starting the game up again makes me feel a sense of accomplishment. That I made this.

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
Considering the whole nook miles thing I can imagine you go to other islands as you progress.

I really like the visuals. The trees and foliage swaying adds so much atmosphere alone.

Rover

Oct 25, 2017
Considering the whole nook miles thing I can imagine you go to other islands as you progress.

I really like the visuals. The trees and foliage swaying adds so much atmosphere alone.

I just love how they've distilled the interface and the graphic design to a really simple and cute design. I hope they don't change it before release.

What's interesting about the interface is that they didn't show anything about touch control or a pointer (things the series has relied on in the handheld and Wii versions).

It makes me wonder if this is being designed specifically for a new Switch model without touch support or detachable joycons.

Nov 8, 2017
I saw crafting in the reveal and immediately wrote it off...but...these changes are actually quite welcome. I've wanted Animal Crossing, but a little different, for awhile now. And they made the whole 'crafting' aspect seem relatively simple and actually work within the game itself.

Oct 27, 2017
My wife is sitting next to me as I watch Treehouse videos and she is begging me to buy Animal Crossing. Finding out there is a co-op has sold her even more.

This game looks astounding. Aesthetically beautiful, fun gameplay, cool features. I cannot wait to craft furniture, go fishing, decorate and meet my neighbours. I haven't played AC since Wild World but New Horizons is day one for me.

G-X

Oct 28, 2017
Watched the direct again and coming from someone with no real experience with past AC games but some general knowledge about characters, Tom Nook seems like he is doing a whole scam of a fyre festival, just the wording in the opening, the tent, and the dialogue at the end talking about the extra charges ect

or maybe I'm probably stretching

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Watched the direct again and coming from someone with no real experience with past AC games but some general knowledge about characters, Tom Nook seems like he is doing a whole scam of a fyre festival, just the wording in the opening, the tent, and the dialogue at the end talking about the extra charges ect

Nah, that's Tom Nook

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017

Tom Nook is tough but fair and kind of an asshole.

Rei

Nov 1, 2017
Kuala Lumpur
The game visuals looks amazing. I thought it was just going to be like something around AC Plaza we saw on the Wii U, but damn it just looks way way better than I expected. Pretty excited to play AC again, and most likely will spend like 600-800 hours or more in it.

Kinda curious if it's only that particular island tho.. or we can like have more than one. Or.. at some point after being stranded for soo long, someone rescued us and we might be able to be a mayor again in a town.

unholyFarmer

Jan 22, 2019
How Tom Nook Uses His Money and 14 More Details About Animal Crossing: New Horizons - E3 2019
YOU CAN CHOOSE WHERE ANIMALS PUT THEIR HOUSE WHEN THEY MOVE IN
Great that there is no direct connection with PC. I also liked the idea that the other two villagers arriving with you will be in the very same situation, working towards paying their debts with Nook and so on.

But damn, I am still a bit bothered by crafting. It is mostly related to how you gather materials, after rewatching the Treehouse video I disliked it even more. This magical pieces of trunk and rock that pops out when you hit stuff just feels like the clutter we are used to in certain rpgs and minecraft like games. Really hope they are able to make it feel more organic, and less like garbage collecting.

Oct 25, 2017
Great that there is no direct connection with PC. I also liked the idea that the other two villagers arriving with you will be in the very same situation, working towards paying their debts with Nook and so on.

But damn, I am still a bit bothered by crafting. It is mostly related to how you gather materials, after rewatching the Treehouse video I disliked it even more. This magical pieces of trunk and rock that pops out when you hit stuff just feels like the clutter we are used to in certain rpgs and minecraft like games. Really hope they are able to make it feel more organic, and less like garbage collecting.
you can thank pocket camp for all the asinine crafting.

Feb 4, 2018
Soooo that article says that if you don't like the villager's initial selection, you can move their house wherever.

If that's the case, I'm not sure what I'll do. Scattered forest houses per usual or planned neighborhood?

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Does anyone know if the museum or its functionality at least is still in the game, or if nothing has been said about it? My wife is really into the collectathon aspect of these games. I'll let you know she is a time traveller though so I'm not quite sure if it's all gonna work out in the end.

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Tom Nook ain't so bad. He gives you an interest free home loan regardless of credit. And you can pay your mortgage whenever you want. He's a hero, really.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone know if the museum or its functionality at least is still in the game, or if nothing has been said about it? My wife is really into the collectathon aspect of these games. I'll let you know she is a time traveller though so I'm not quite sure if it's all gonna work out in the end.
I think I read somewhere that you get to plan where stuff gets built, so I imagine unlocking the ability to build the museum will be its own journey.

Fuchsia

Oct 28, 2017
My dude, I've been asking for that option back since they showed the removal of it in a Wild World gameplay video lol.

We're completely on the same page. I made a big post about it in the pre-Direct thread, but yeah - I feel as though they've spent the past few iterations focusing more and more on the sort of "me, me, me" aspects of Animal Crossing. "Look at my house!", "Look at my town!", "Look at my patterns!" - and the focus on that notion of AC just being a game about hanging out with your interesting and kooky animal neighbours has become less so over each game.

I really hope that while they've spent time developing the sort of "individual experience" of this game even further (crafting, town building, etc.) - they've also gone back to refine that other aspect of it. The animals shouldn't just be a backdrop or a sidenote, they should be just as much the focus as everything else. This being said, pretty much everything I see from AC fans, whether on reddit or elsewhere, is about the former aspect I said above - and not about "look what this animal said to me!". Maybe we're just out of touch when it comes to why people love this franchise lol. So many of the new features New Leaf added, the dream suite, the model home area (or whatever it was called - didn't use it often at all), all of it were sort of focused on that. Even Pocket Camp really reinforces that notion to the nth degree I think - and it's really too bad.

If they want to keep the franchise being called "Animal Crossing", they really gotta step it up in the "Animal" department - because it's slowly getting to the point where they might as well drop that and develop their own take on Stardew Valley, or farming simulator or something. What's the incentive to build a cool town for my Animal neighbours when they're all boring as hell to communicate with?

YES. You perfectly articulated something I've been feeling for a while as an AC fan. They really need to make engaging with the animals more interesting. In New Leaf it was just so dull. I want them to react to things more and for the game to offer more opportunities to be more socially interactive with them.

MouldyK

Prophet of Truth
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
You don't need to worry about having to upgrade all the Islanders' houses. They'll pay back Tom Nook at their own pace, regardless of how fast you do – or don't. You could live in a tent forever.

This is neat!

Still hoping the Island is bigger than they showed on Treehouse though as it seemed small at first glance.

LostSkullKid

Nov 27, 2017
It's been said that island just start's with Nook's shop being the only facility in town but you unlock more things as you progress, so it's likely that you'll eventually unlock a museum.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
I think I read somewhere that you get to plan where stuff gets built, so I imagine unlocking the ability to build the museum will be its own journey.
It's been said that island just start's with Nook's shop being the only facility in town but you unlock more things as you progress, so it's likely that you'll eventually unlock a museum.

fantastic, thanks a lot! I didn't want to read too much about the game just yet. My wife will be pleased.

Oct 25, 2017
There's something really off about this game. Animal Crossing has lost some of its personality over the years IMO, but I watched the Treehouse demo and this game has like zero charm compared to the original. UI cute little sounds and visuals have been all but replaced with sterile look and minimal noise. The trees and ground looks much to clean. The jibber jabber speak sounds... underwhelming? It's hard to describe but it's weird.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
Some bits from the IGN Interview
Nogami said the elements and buildings of the town we unlock won't be in the same order as New Leaf's, however.
I wonder what that's mean...I mean many buildings were already in place when you arrived in NL. Or it's the not same kind of buildings ? (my english is not perfect)

Kyogoku said there would be a system provide an opportunity to invite animals to the island, but not necessarily seek out one of Animal Crossing's many animals.
One of the thing I hope is Amiibo Cards compatibility (it was so hard to get some of those). But it seems the system from NL : welcome Amiibo is not returning since you could invite any animals you had the card of.

Those other Islanders that arrive with you can't be forced off the island, but they can leave if it's their wish, Nogami said.
Lol so many animals are going to be beaten with the net

And I'm also glad they didn't focus that much on Isabelle after NL success. It's cool she doesn't overshadow every other special characters. Tom Nook and the Nooklings playing a big, central role is actually pretty great !

ameleco

The Fallen
Nov 2, 2017
So glad they're getting rid of a lot of the tedious parts of animal crossing like not being able to cross a river. Definitely hyped :)

One of the thing I hope is Amiibo Cards compatibility (it was so hard to get some of those). But it seems the system from NL : welcome Amiibo is not returning since you could invite any animals you had the card of.
Oh man I forgot about these haha. Glad I completed the set!

Deleted member 17207

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
YES. You perfectly articulated something I've been feeling for a while as an AC fan. They really need to make engaging with the animals more interesting. In New Leaf it was just so dull. I want them to react to things more and for the game to offer more opportunities to be more socially interactive with them.
Exactly!

Jun 2, 2019
Made some GIFs

The way the rain hits the water looks so nice, you're even able to see it effect the water in the bucket.

Leaves blowing in the wind and snow coming across the screen are also soothing, as well as digging up trees to relocate them.

Some path creation and we can see picking flowers doesn't destroy them, hopefully making gardens/flower breeding much easier.

Bridge not needed.

This is magnificient, and i really hope it also comes with positional audio. I've been recently playing my Switch with a surround headset and this would be the perfect relaxing game.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
Looking at those gifs:
BoQzLqdCYAAtmkJ.jpg

Gradon

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
UK
I hope they handle the leaving villagers better. Hated not playing for a while and finding my favourite villager left. :(
Maybe when you boot back up you catch them as they're heading off, and you're like "no plz dont go"

I want the amiibo cards to work with this too, have they said anything about them?

Faxeo

Apr 21, 2019
I read that aya kyogoku said that you can't have more islands in the game, but then what are the miles and the airport you saw on the minimap during the treehouse gameplay? I hope you can at least use it to visit other areas besides our island.

Weary Bones

Nov 7, 2017
SoCal
This is probably for the best, the biggest mistake Nintendo can make with this game is having paid items from PC in NH, but there are so many obvious items I think Nintendo will still trip over that obstacle.

This would be a nightmare for completionists too if that was the only way to get exclusive Pocket Camp items because a lot of those items are locked behind stupid gacha

I'm hoping they just include all the items from Pocket Camp in New Horizons and don't let them connect.

Jan 2, 2018
Sooo, I have a simple question and the OP isn't really worth anything. I don't want to read 14 pages, could someone help me out?

Am I understanding it correctly, that you can built a whole town from the ground up on the island? I only played a bit of the GC game back in the day, but don't remember much of it, so I'm not sure if I've interpreted the footage in the Direct right.
I really hope I'm right! I would love to built my own calm and charming little town.

Lusamine

Oct 25, 2017
This would be a nightmare for completionists too if that was the only way to get exclusive Pocket Camp items because a lot of those items are locked behind stupid gacha

I'm hoping they just include all the items from Pocket Camp in New Horizons and don't let them connect.
That would kill future Nintendo mobile games, not happening. I'd bet on the delay happening partly because they used so many new furniture for PC that they won't reuse.