• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 26156

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
As people have spent more time playing Animal Crossing: New Horizons, CJ (the new host of the Fishing Tournament) has shown up wandering around a few player's towns. Within some of his dialogue he refers to Flick (the new host of the Bug Catching Tournament) his... partner.

ETuk_E2XgAEfbPZ
ETuk_gqWoAIhE9L

ETulAEUXsAEWPEK

Now, someone's obviously going to come in and say "but what if they just mean business partner" but that makes no sense if you actually read the dialogue. Not to mention this game has another gay couple, albeit only mentioned in dialogue, as well as them structuring the character creation so "players didn't really have to think about gender". With this frankly unprecedented progressiveness from Nintendo, there's only one reasonable conclusion: they be gay.

BDS

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I believe there are actually several characters who describe same-gender relationships in the game. It's a nice touch.

randomlee26

Oct 27, 2017
I think NOA in particular has been going for more inclusivity. Of course now I can't think of why I think that. But I love it nonetheless

Speedlynx

Nov 22, 2017
Uh... you sure he doesn't mean business partner?

Also why couldn't the devs use the word "boyfriend" to erase all ambiguity? Too much huh.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
This wouldn't be the first time the localization has changed stuff around with Animal Crossing NPCs. Since they're already diverged I guess there's no harm in NoA being more inclusive.

Nov 5, 2019
Uh... you sure he doesn't mean business partner?

Also why couldn't the devs use the word "boyfriend" to erase all ambiguity? Too much huh.
In some relationships, they like to refer to each other as partners. This accounts for those who align on different gender spectrums (like those who wish to be referred to as they/them).

A recent media example can be seen on Steven Universe Future.

TheDinoman

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah this is cool and all, but I knew instantly that all of this stuff isn't the original JP version and it's just NOA's doing lol

Murlin

Feb 12, 2019
That Princess romance comic is undeniable, but I don't really read his use of "partner" here as romantic. If one runs the fish contest and one runs the bug contest, they're partners in that endeavor of running wildlife-catching contests.

Kangi

Profile Styler
Oct 25, 2017
I mean Flick is...

8fce72a7ff45aee34f5d78e5164cb9cd9a6f24a2.jpg

...definitely gay. He would have a boyfriend. I support them

Mar 2, 2020
Brazil
GIMME MORE LGBTQIA+ COUPLES AND CHARACTERS NINTENDO PLEAAAAAASE!!
Hope the next Super Mario has some, like Birdo being a trans woman openly(I mean, she is, but sometimes they call her in the wrong pronouns or even talk about her story in a problematic way). I kind of wish that Rosalina is lesbian too, she reminds me of Elsa from Frozen.
I'm really happy to see how New Horizons is really opening new horizons for Nintendo, it's awesome to see this progressiveness in a Nintendo game that's not Fire Emblem.

lactatingduck

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Based on those images this seems like you're reading into something that could be there but could equally not be that.

Deleted member 56266

Account closed at user request
Banned
Apr 25, 2019
I might be missing something between the lines here but how exactly does him talking about his partner there imply a romantic relationship?

Avada Kedavra

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
Being progressive isn't having ambiguous references that barely advance the discussion beyond what it already is. It's basically the strict minimum not get called out. Much like how Disney is pussy-footing around LGBT characters in their animated movies and Marvel movies. They're not getting wet at all here.
Being progressive is having your main female protagonist kiss another female in a trailer that's meant to sell your game. Or having a transgender protagonist.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
NoA does what Japan don't
I always thought AC was a great place for individuality and representing all kinds of life, but it seems like Japan aint ready

That1GoodHunter

My ass legally belongs to Ted Price
Oct 17, 2019
I'm thankful that NoA is trying with what they are given from Japan. Nintendo is far away from having two gay women making out in a trailer playing in front of a E3 crowd...but hey, baby steps

Poltergust

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Orlando, FL
Being progressive isn't having ambiguous references that barely advance the discussion beyond what it already is. It's basically the strict minimum not get called out. Much like how Disney is pussy-footing around LGBT characters in their animated movies and Marvel movies. They're not getting wet at all here.
Being progressive is having your main female protagonist kiss another female in a trailer that's meant to sell your game. Or having a transgender protagonist.
Animal Crossing isn't at all about romance, though. The player character is supposed to be like 14 or something, despite all the responsibilities they have to manage. You actually only see relationships through the non-villager NPCs, and they're almost always familial (siblings like the Able Sisters and Isabelle and Digby, or parental like Nook and Timmy & Tommy or Kaitlin and Katie).

Like, before New Horizons, I'm almost positive the only married couple in the entirety of Animal Crossing is Reese and Cyrus. The pelicans who work in the mail office in previous games have a sort of love triangle going on, but it never really gets past that.

At the very least, the game definitely gives you the freedom to be whoever you want to be, with absolutely no restrictions on hair or clothing options.