• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
EaidYaeXYAAgQni.jpg

The German Games Industry Association ("game") has announced that Animal Crossing: New Horizons has now sold more than 500.000 units at retail in Germany.
This also seems to include digital copies sold through the Nintendo eShop.

Source: https://www.game.de/sonne-strand-und-meeresrauschen-der-game-sales-award-im-mai/

Every month, game provides an update on certain sales milestones (100k, 200k, 500k, 1M+).
Animal Crossing: New Horizons passed the 200k milestone in March, so basically right after launch. It only took two more months to bump that number to 500.000.

Here's how long it took some other first-party Switch games to reach 500k:

Super Mario Party - 8 months
Super Mario Odyssey - ~8 months
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 12 months
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - ~12 months

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 3 months

In other words, Animal Crossing still is a beast!

You can look up other milestones, including games for PS4 and Xbox One, in the Germany - Video Game Sales Archive.

Last edited:

Salamiaddict

May 15, 2018
Northern Germany
EaidYaeXYAAgQni.jpg

The German Games Industry Association ("game") has announced that Animal Crossing: New Horizons has now sold more than 500.000 units at retail in Germany.
This does not include digital copies sold through the Nintendo eShop.

Source: https://www.game.de/sonne-strand-und-meeresrauschen-der-game-sales-award-im-mai/

Every month, game provides an update on certain sales milestones (100k, 200k, 500k, 1M+).
Animal Crossing: New Horizons passed the 200k milestone in March, so basically right after launch. It only took two more months to bump that number to 500.000.

Here's how long it took some other first-party Switch games to reach 500k:

Super Mario Party - 8 months
Super Mario Odyssey - ~8 months
Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - 12 months
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe - ~12 months

Animal Crossing: New Horizons - 3 months

In other words, Animal Crossing still is a beast!

You can look up other milestones, including games for PS4 and Xbox One, in the Germany - Video Game Sales Archive.
But it says it also contains "Download Verkäufe" is this not the eShop but third party sites?

wrowa

Oct 25, 2017
It was mostly about the picture, but new followers are always welcome of course :P
Changed it in the OP though.
Sorry, wasn't meant in a negative way, it just looked weird to have a random tweet embedded into the post.

The game article you linked to mentions that the numbers include "platform specific extrapolation" for download sales btw.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
But it says it also contains "Download Verkäufe" is this not the eShop but third party sites?
Hm you're right. GamesWirtschaft says it includes downloads, while usually it's not a given whether downloads are included. I've fixed it in the OP. Thanks for the heads-up :)

Sorry, wasn't meant in a negative way, it just looked weird to have a random tweet embedded into the post.

The game article you linked to mentions that the numbers include "platform specific extrapolation" for download sales btw.
Yeah, you're right about that. Never noticed that tbh (it's standard footer information, but I guess it was changed without me noticing it)

Cubo

May 14, 2018
Super impressive. Will it get to a million? I don't think any other games other than FIFA, CoD and Rockstar games can do that right?

hannybunny24

Jun 25, 2018
Germany
Wait so the 500k milestone includes estimates of eshop sales? That seems...not great.
Basically it doesn't really say if it's provided by Nintendo (big doubt, they don't give digital numbers) if it's estimated and by what metric (they say platform-specific estimates) or if it's not included at all.
If estimated it's probably on the low end if they take usual platform-specific digital shares. IIRC stores closed Monday on launch week. All of my friends had to buy digital and drop their pickup orders.

OP
OP
DarkDetective

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
The digital number is based on other extrapolated data. In other words, a calculated estimate. While not as reliable as physical retail data, I doubt it's as bad as Famitsu's digital estimates for Japan, or anything we can't live with.
Wait so the 500k milestone includes estimates of eshop sales? That seems...not great.
It's a great result. Just look in the archive how well other games sell. It's basically only FIFA and Call of Duty that sell better.

Kanhir

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shock as simulator game with obsessive organisational aspects sells well in Germany.

It's like it scratches both big itches at once.

MegaXZero

One Winged Slayer
Jun 21, 2018
It's a great result. Just look in the archive how well other games sell. It's basically only FIFA and Call of Duty that sell better.
Animal Crossing has been the best selling game all plattforms included since its release.

If you think ACs performance is bad, you gonna hate the german market
I meant in terms of using something potentially unreliable as digital estimations. 500k itself is great.