• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
I wonder if they'll tweak Easter next year, since anyone that completed it this year won't have anything to do unless they REALLY want more egg furniture.

I guess this was true of events in past games too, but I felt it was so hard to get complete sets then that it'd take you more than one try to 100% a collection.

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Please teach me your secrets.

Sit on the beach for hours while looking at resetera and reddit and walk up and down it when the minutes end in 5 or 0 to find and shoot down regular balloons. East coast in the mornings, then balloons start spawning on the west coast around 6 or 7pm. I literally just did my daily basics and just camped for hours a day. I feel both accomplished and pretty sure that I'm not doing this for all the seasonal recipes.

Anyway, if I come across any doubles I'll let you know.

Can your friends join you when you use a nook ticket?

Nope. :(

I'm watching a meteor shower. Do I need to do anything to get those star fragments?

Make sure you're praying by putting away your tools, tilting the camera all the way up and pressing A when a star is present. If you're doing it right you'll know. After that just search the beaches in the morning for star fragments!

Dec 8, 2018
I've never played Animal Crossing before. This game feels like a life preserver right now. Can just dump time into it but there's no actual pressure to accomplish anything at all.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Make sure you're praying by putting away your tools, tilting the camera all the way up and pressing A when a star is present. If you're doing it right you'll know. After that just search the beaches in the morning for star fragments!

Oh fuck I have to press something? I'm just sitting on a lawn chair watching them but I think its done now? FUCK

edit: nvm theyre back

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Sit on the beach for hours while looking at resetera and reddit and walk up and down it when the minutes end in 5 or 0 to find and shoot down regular balloons. East coast in the mornings, then balloons start spawning on the west coast around 6 or 7pm. I literally just did my daily basics and just camped for hours a day. I feel both accomplished and pretty sure that I'm not doing this for all the seasonal recipes.

Anyway, if I come across any doubles I'll let you know.

Ah, I didn't know about the 0/5 thing. It also seems like the majority of my balloons spawn on the west side. (Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.) Thanks for the tips.

And I would very much appreciate being told about any potential doubles. Thank you.

Kaitos

Tens across the board!
Oct 25, 2017
It's amazing how creative people are with their islands.

And then there's me, lol.

Fanto

Is this tag ok?
Oct 25, 2017
Am I the only one that sometimes thinks he hears slight gusts of wind when not playing the game?

Also... I find it wild that my turnip prices never rose above 107 this entire week 😅

What mood do you have to tell K.K. you're in to request Bubblegum?
He lets you request songs by name too, just make sure you type the exact name and he'll play it.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I really really like it. It does what New Leaf was trying to do incredibly well, while also reconnecting with a lot of the charm and quirkiness from the older games. It feels like there's a lot to know and remember about New Horizons. In 10 years we'll all be talking about how there were balloons every 2 minutes and how villagers sometimes just sit their asses down for no reason.

As we've known since June, the presentation is absolutely phenomenal. The soundtrack and visuals are superb. I love the consistent style that the hourly themes have, while incorporating some classic sounds, like the accordion (or melodica, maybe) in 6 PM. I love the new camera option too. I use it a lot, even more than I thought I would.

Overall, 10/10. It probably outranks the original for me, but I'm already starting to feel the stress and irritation at having a relatively shitty island because I don't play as much as the people I know. Certain parts already feel really grindy (pillaging resources during generic mystery tours makes me question all of my life choices), and I hope it doesn't get worse.

Additionally, the elephant in the room: it's content light. Really, really content light. That said, I actually appreciate that it cut the special characters down so much, it feels more decisive and less like it's a slave to past games. I do hope that certain aspects, Brewster and the café especially, are added back in with content updates, but I think I'd be content if they're not. The game feels confident in what it is, and its anemia in terms of characters and events feels purposeful.

To summarize, the game is fantastic, but its longevity is completely up in the air; I have no idea what it'll look like in a year.
Thanks for this. I'm really glad you like the game, as I know you didn't like New Leaf, haha. I'm too tired right now to type a long ass reply, but I almost completely agree with you, outside of the game being content light. There's some stuff missing, Redd's paintings for example, but there's other stuff to collect this time like the amiibo posters. I believe there's 200 more items than New Leaf, it has more villagers than Welcome amiibo, more K.K. songs etc. Sure, stuff's missing like the police center or the Resetti place, but when did you ever visit those things in New Leaf? They were there because you could build them, not because they really added something gameplay wise. I don't really call that missing content like most people do. We got other stuff in return. I wouldn't say Dark Souls 3 for example had missing content because it doesn't have all the bosses from Dark Souls 2. It's a different game with different content.

The other day someone told me he really missed diving and that he used to dive for hours on end in New Leaf. But diving was just an alternative to fishing. You went into the water and when you saw a dark spot you pressed a button to catch something. It wasn't something you did for hours straight, it was a fun little extra, yet people are complaining about it, mostly because they're misremembering things. I do miss the minigame island (although you can create your own minigames with the timer) and the Dream Suite though. Especially the latter. But we're already seeing frequent updates with both the Bunny Day and Earth Day updates within a month, so I'm not that worried about them adding in stuff that's "missing".

This still ended up being a long ass reply, lol. But I'm really glad you're enjoying it. We should hang out sometime soon!

Aloysius

Nov 5, 2017
Minneapolis, MN
Told K.K. I was in a mood, but wasn't sure what the mood was. He played Tokatas song. Is this rare or is this just what he plays when you select that.

Ah my pockets were full so he couldn't give me the song. Maybe thats how you trigger it?

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone help me with a question I got? I can't find a clear answer online but there is supposedly a meteor shower tonight in my town and would like to have a viewing party with some friends. Thing is, my wife wants in and she's a resident in my town, would it be possible to do local multiplayer with her and invite friends from online at the same time? I really doubt it since it's Nintendo we're talking about but I figured I'd just double check to be sure.

Sheldon

Oct 27, 2017
Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Quoting for visibility, could really use some advice here.

You'd be losing out on fruit money and furniture leaf drops for however long it takes to complete the terraforming project plus regrowth period. That's all I can think of. Maybe risk a perfect town rating if you already achieved it. Stock up on wood or Nook Miles Tickets to get you through the tree-less days, bank whatever foreign fruit and flower seeds you have, and you should be fine.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Thanks for this. I'm really glad you like the game, as I know you didn't like New Leaf, haha. I'm too tired right now to type a long ass reply, but I almost completely agree with you, outside of the game being content light. There's some stuff missing, Redd's paintings for example, but there's other stuff to collect this time like the amiibo posters. I believe there's 200 more items than New Leaf, it has more villagers than Welcome amiibo, more K.K. songs etc. Sure, stuff's missing like the police center or the Resetti place, but when did you ever visit those things in New Leaf? They were there because you could build them, not because they really added something gameplay wise. I don't really call that missing content like most people do. We got other stuff in return. I wouldn't say Dark Souls 3 for example had missing content because it doesn't have all the bosses from Dark Souls 2. It's a different game with different content.

The other day someone told me he really missed diving and that he used to dive for hours on end in New Leaf. But diving was just an alternative to fishing. You went into the water and when you saw a dark spot you pressed a button to catch something. It wasn't something you did for hours straight, it was a fun little extra, yet people are complaining about it, mostly because they're misremembering things. I do miss the minigame island (although you can create your own minigames with the timer) and the Dream Suite though. Especially the latter. But we're already seeing frequent updates with both the Bunny Day and Earth Day updates within a month, so I'm not that worried about them adding in stuff that's "missing".

This still ended up being a long ass reply, lol. But I'm really glad you're enjoying it. We should hang out sometime soon!
I don't want to sound argumentative, because it seems like we largely feel the same way, but I meant to refer to the relatively few special characters. Otherwise, it is empirically comparable in content to New Leaf, as you pointed out.

And that sounds good man. My internet is a bit slow so I haven't taken advantage of any Dodo codes in the thread (no joke, I once took a quick shower during the flight loading screen), but it does work. If you're interested and DM me I'll drop my Switch friend code

atomsk eater

Oct 25, 2017
Ah, I didn't know about the 0/5 thing. It also seems like the majority of my balloons spawn on the west side. (Or maybe I'm just doing it wrong.) Thanks for the tips.

And I would very much appreciate being told about any potential doubles. Thank you.

Yeah they spawn in around then, 5 minutes apart at the best of times and 10 minutes apart at the worst (had a lot of 10 minute waits...)
And yeah if it's night where you are they'll be coming from the west coast. East coast for daytime until like 6-7 pm, then it switches. Unless the rules are different for dif

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The other day someone told me he really missed diving and that he used to dive for hours on end in New Leaf. But diving was just an alternative to fishing. You went into the water and when you saw a dark spot you pressed a button to catch something. It wasn't something you did for hours straight, it was a fun little extra, yet people are complaining about it, mostly because they're misremembering things.
counterpoint: giant isopod is my son and I will not rest until it returns

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Me and my sons are sharing an island on my switch. I've just bought him his own switch now and I'm happy to buy him his own copy of AC.

If I did could we both live on the same island but him on his switch and me on mine? Even if that meant me buying another copy.

It's just a pain having to follow each other around on coop so was hoping with two switches we could both live on the same island and play together.

GJ

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I don't want to sound argumentative, because it seems like we largely feel the same way, but I meant to refer to the relatively few special characters. Otherwise, it is empirically comparable in content to New Leaf, as you pointed out.

And that sounds good man. My internet is a bit slow so I haven't taken advantage of any Dodo codes in the thread (no joke, I once took a quick shower during the flight loading screen), but it does work. If you're interested and DM me I'll drop my Switch friend code
Yeah I can see people being sad about their favorite NPC not being in. But there are new ones in return, and we're already seeing a familiar face making a(n unexpected) comeback later this month, so I'm sure more old favorites are on the way.

And of course brother. I promised you you were welcome on my island, so I'll shoot you a DM!

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Can someone help me with a question I got? I can't find a clear answer online but there is supposedly a meteor shower tonight in my town and would like to have a viewing party with some friends. Thing is, my wife wants in and she's a resident in my town, would it be possible to do local multiplayer with her and invite friends from online at the same time? I really doubt it since it's Nintendo we're talking about but I figured I'd just double check to be sure.
Wait. How do you know you're going to get a meteor shower?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Me and my sons are sharing an island on my switch. I've just bought him his own switch now and I'm happy to buy him his own copy of AC.

If I did could we both live on the same island but him on his switch and me on mine? Even if that meant me buying another copy.

It's just a pain having to follow each other around on coop so was hoping with two switches we could both live on the same island and play together.
No to the bolded. Each Switch has 1 island, each island has 1 Switch.

James_liv

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
No to the bolded. Each Switch has 1 island, each island has 1 Switch.
Thanks for the reply.

That's a shame. Just drives me crazy following him around everywhere when we have two switch's and could buy another copy.
Knew about the one island rule but didn't realise that worked both ways.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Thanks for the reply.

That's a shame. Just drives me crazy following him around everywhere when we have two switch's and could buy another copy.
Knew about the one island rule but didn't realise that worked both ways.
Yeah. Both are a bummer, but at least 1 Switch per island has a technical reason. Sharing an island across Switches would require islands be hosted by servers online.

Valkerion

Oct 29, 2017
OK, now I'm interested in Animal Crossing. How long does it take to make a house like this lol. Never played an AC before.

Oct 26, 2017
Mushroom Kingdom
Anyone try the Turantula Island trick? Was it successful?

Might attempt it tonight to get an edge on some Bells even though i'm at the start

I've never played Animal Crossing before. This game feels like a life preserver right now. Can just dump time into it but there's no actual pressure to accomplish anything at all.

Same here. I've tried and played like 6 different games until i bought and dived into this. lol

infinitebento

Oct 25, 2017
chicago
i want to terraform so badly but am stuck having to wait until i have all of my villagers moved in :(

got 2 coming tomorrow but still need 2 more people until i do kk's performance then finally make my island how i want 😩

Oct 26, 2017
I just got Spike as my tenth villager, awwwww yeeee. I really, really wish I spent more time finding better villagers in the early game. I impulse bought a bunch of amiibos last night and I have a loooong road ahead of me getting them all to move in. But I'm excited :)

The bad part is that I have to start ignoring villagers that I've just recently established friendships, lmao.

Severance

Oct 27, 2017
I really love the customization allowed in this game, and of course the collecting/decorating aspect of Animal Crossing. Those two things will keep me playing. But... once you unlock terraforming and upgrade Nook's Cranny, that's it huh? Nothing else to work for or to unlock?

divination

Oct 26, 2017
Pretty much have spent every waking hour of my free time playing this over the last 5 days lol. This is my first AC, so having a lot of fun so far.

Berordn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
NoVA
I really love the customization allowed in this game, and of course the collecting/decorating aspect of Animal Crossing. Those two things will keep me playing. But... once you unlock terraforming and upgrade Nook's Cranny, that's it huh? Nothing else to work for or to unlock?
Not yet, anyway. From the sounds of the mini direct the next patch prior to Lief's Earth Day celebration will be adding something, so mostly just wait and see.

Oct 27, 2017
I assume all these egg balloons add to the total count of balloons shot down? I must be shooting down 15+ a day. At one point I shot down 4 within about a minute.

Status
Not open for further replies.