• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 56 4.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 106 7.7%
  • 90-94

Votes: 583 42.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 497 36.0%
  • 80-84

Votes: 113 8.2%
  • 75-79

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • under 75

Votes: 16 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I want my time back from that Waypoint review. It's the most scatterbrained review I think I've ever read.

Oct 27, 2017
SoCal
I can see it, theres a whole thing about games & the untouched "peopless" wilderlands to colonize

Having watched this video before, it doesn't really apply to AC. It's talking about a specific system Minecraft has regarding towns, and how the most effective way to move/build towns is to kidnap villagers from other towns. The closest thing to this in AC is poaching villages from another, but even that is voluntary on the Villager's side. Extremely different.

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
Never played an AC game before but tempted to jump in.

Is it a game that is designed to play for hours on end, or just the odd 30 min session here and there?
What's great about it is it's entirely up too you, there's always things you can do for your villagers like deliver stuff or help them somehow. You can plant a garden. Focus on raising tons of trees for more fruit/gold fruit. And you can even do a "critical path" by focusing on getting bells and upgrading your tent and island. There is no limit on what you can do, and yeah you could probably have a fun time just playing for a half hour a day just doing a few odds and ends.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Never really managed to get into Animal Crossing before, but I need this game like yesterday. Just need that unlock before I go fully stir crazy.

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
Having watched this video before, it doesn't really apply to AC. It's talking about a specific system Minecraft has regarding towns, and how the most effective way to move/build towns is to kidnap villagers from other towns. The closest thing to this in AC is poaching villages from another, but even that is voluntary on the Villager's side. Extremely different.
The part where he quotes (8:06) Video Games and the Global South, 2019, Phillip Penix-Tadsen ed. and how the sandbox/exploration/resource+crafting genre kinda entrenches colonialism ideals is still relevant

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
The part where he quotes (8:06) Video Games and the Global South, 2019, Phillip Penix-Tadsen ed. and how the sandbox/exploration/resource+crafting genre kinda entrenches colonialism ideals is still relevant
The thing is, though, that "colonialist ideals" of exploration and resource gathering are harmful because colonialist empires "explored" land that belonged to other people and "collected" (read: stole) resources that rightfully belonged to those people.

Animal Crossing's island exists in a perfect world where that land actually is abandoned and those resources actually are unclaimed. The vague undertones aren't totally absent, but the framing is different in such a significant way that I don't think it can be said to reinforce those ideals.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I am shocked -- shocked -- Waypoint's review worked colonialism into it.

Into Animal Crossing.

Animal. Crossing.
maybe cause the new game leans into it more? The optional islands are just there for players to strip clean of resources when ac has historically been a little bit more about respecting the environment and fostering sustainability; it's not an unwarranted observation, and this attitude reeks of "keep politics out of my games"

Sera

Oct 27, 2017
Melbourne
The thing is, though, that "colonialist ideals" of exploration and resource gathering are harmful because colonialist empires "explored" land that belonged to other people and "collected" (read: stole) resources that rightfully belonged to those people.

Animal Crossing's island exists in a perfect world where that land actually is abandoned and those resources actually are unclaimed. The vague undertones aren't totally absent, but the framing is different in such a significant way that I don't think it can be said to reinforce those ideals.
Btw I'm not trying to say having those things is bad or animal crossing is bad its just more its something we should be aware or introspective of where they stem from
mainly trying to say I think waypoint bringing up colonialism in relation to new horizon's starting premise isn't out of left field
maybe cause the new game leans into it more? The optional islands are just there for players to strip clean of resources when ac has historically been a little bit more about respecting the environment and fostering sustainability; it's not an unwarranted observation, and this attitude reeks of "keep politics out of my games"
The nook island tickets was one of the main things I was thinking of

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
This kind of silliness didn't go into my review, but I'm sharing for your sakes. I caught Katt singing in my town square, then ran back to my home to grab a musical instrument out of my storage unit. Katt was still there, so we.... "jammed."

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
to be fair, this is a world where trees grow to maturity in three days

INFINITE RESOURCES

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
The nook island tickets was one of the main things I was thinking of
yeah that's what the reivew mentions when it talks about colonization vibes. Like look I get it if you only view AC as a tool to unwind to or don't take it seriously as art or whatever but like it makes statements and and has implications the same as anything else, so of course reviews should bring that subject matter up
to be fair, this is a world where trees grow to maturity in three days

INFINITE RESOURCES
lol that's true but you're limited to a finite nubmer of saplings a day, and axes are disposable, so you at least need to think a tiiiny bit about the interplay of villager and nature

Rockets

Sep 12, 2018
So I have 2 switches, one regular and one lite. I'm going to buy the game digitally on my Eshop account and I was thinking, since Nintendo said save files and islands are restricted one per switch, is it possible for me and my little brother to use the same Nimtendo Account on two different switches but let both consoles have different saves/islands so we can both play separately. Do you guys think that'll work? And if it does do you think it'll have complications down the road where they won't be able to back up my save data because I'll have theoretically two different saves on one profile?

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
C'mon Nintendo... be a pal in this world we're living in and give us an early release tomorrow!

night814

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Pennsylvania
So I have 2 switches, one regular and one lite. I'm going to buy the game digitally on my Eshop account and I was thinking, since Nintendo said save files and islands are restricted one per switch, is it possible for me and my little brother to use the same Nimtendo Account on two different switches but let both consoles have different saves/islands so we can both play separately. Do you guys think that'll work? And if it does do you think it'll have complications down the road where they won't be able to back up my save data because I'll have theoretically two different saves on one profile?
What you have to do is log in to both switch's with whatever Nintendo acct is going to buy the game, set one as your primary and buy the game on that system, but download it onto both.

You won't be able to use the same account at the same time, but the one that is the 'primary' switch for that account can be played by any user at any time so you just make a new user and play AC with that. The 'secondary' switch will require the acct that purchased AC to not be in use by someone else on the other switch or it won't pass the authentication check.

scare_crow

Oct 28, 2017
That's not my stance at all. But I do think there's such a thing as trying too hard. That's where this falls for me. And the Sanders stuff seems really forced too (and I'm fine with the guy).

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I've been playing the game for about a week, and having an absolute blast. I've missed Animal Crossing so much. The new QoL improvements and the new progression scheme are wonderful.

Feb 4, 2018
Yeah, I didn't even think about it this way until I read that review. Respect to Gita for mentioning it. I really like how in previous games (mostly) everything you harvest you had to grow in your town first, and you have to take responsibility for what you do to your town. These islands circumvent that and I think it could cheapen things for me, on top of having some implications when it comes to sustainability and colonialism. Dragon Quest Builders 2 does the exact same thing with its Explorer's Shores and I'd personally like to see crafting-focused games have a take on resource gathering that isn't -randomized islands that you can destroy without consequences-. Don't ask me what it should be though lol.

Also, since we're talking about Vice's review, I thought it was so cute that Kotaku (video review) and Vice featured each other's characters in their reviews. :)
This kind of silliness didn't go into my review, but I'm sharing for your sakes. I caught Katt singing in my town square, then ran back to my home to grab a musical instrument out of my storage unit. Katt was still there, so we.... "jammed."

lmao I love this so much.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
That's not my stance at all. But I do think there's such a thing as trying too hard. That's where this falls for me. And the Sanders stuff seems really forced too (and I'm fine with the guy).
eh, I don't see anything wrong with drawing on your own real world experience and pontificating on what a piece of art reminds you of or how it makes you feel. It's no more more forced than bringing up covid, which is to say not at all because the intersection of media and our modern landscape is unavoidable

granted, it's very jarring, compared to other reviews, a lot of which--and I do not say this disparagingly because this is the gig--kind of just read like product copy

LightKiosk

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I've been playing the game for about a week, and having an absolute blast. I've missed Animal Crossing so much. The new QoL improvements and the new progression scheme are wonderful.

Are the graphics as good as the compressed Youtube videos shown so far have lead me to believe?

The shots where the sunset shimmers on the water looked incredible. Can't wait to experience it in-game for myself.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
I dunno why hearing impressions from an Era mod makes me so much more excited than all the reviews this morning lol

TrueSloth

Oct 27, 2017

It really will be interesting to see how the internet receives this game after release. The internet was different back then during NL's release.

ShaggsMagoo

Oct 28, 2017
Part of me is feeling like picking this up, but there are a couple of things working against it.
1. Comes out same day as Doom
2. This is a game that screams to be bought digitally, but I hate paying an extra 12 dollars for a digital version, plus Nintendo's digital policies are historically.......shitty
3. I hate the rolling log, so much
I might just put in the GameCube Animal Crossing.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yeah, I didn't even think about it this way until I read that review. Respect to Gita for mentioning it. I really like how in previous games (mostly) everything you harvest you had to grow in your town first, and you have to take responsibility for what you do to your town. These islands circumvent that and I think it could cheapen things for me, on top of having some implications when it comes to sustainability and colonialism. Dragon Quest Builders 2 does the exact same thing with its Explorer's Shores and I'd personally like to see crafting-focused games have a take on resource gathering that isn't -randomized islands that you can destroy without consequences-. Don't ask me what it should be though lol.

Also, since we're talking about Vice's review, I thought it was so cute that Kotaku (video review) and Vice featured each other's characters in their reviews. :)
yeah, exactly. It's deffos a hard problem to solve, because Builders has the same problem and basically the exact same solution haha. And I mean both games really are about the importance of community cooperation and taking care of your environment but, the designers don't want players getting too bogged down in management and potentially feeling frustrated because of how much you'd need to think ahead given limited resources. It's admirable but you don't want to accidentally undermine your themes in the process and it's all just v complicated

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
Part of me is feeling like picking this up, but there are a couple of things working against it.
1. Comes out same day as Doom
2. This is a game that screams to be bought digitally, but I hate paying an extra 12 dollars for a digital version, plus Nintendo's digital policies are historically.......shitty
3. I hate the rolling log, so much
I might just put in the GameCube Animal Crossing.
If you hate the rolling thing, the game allows for you to re-angle the camera to the GCN-style top-down.

Owlet

Owl Enthusiast
Verified
May 30, 2018
London, UK

You're right, this is fun!

Also just realized how easy it will be to put pride flags on clothing items with the designer.

I feel like I'll spend more time messing around drawing than decorating my home.
iuS3Y1D.jpg

TheSix

Nov 1, 2017
Toronto
"Animal Crossing: New Horizons is an excellent game that offers a wealth of things to do. Whether you want to catch bugs, go fishing, or craft, the gameplay loops are addicting

During these stressful times, #AnimalCrossingNewHorizons is the perfect remedy."

Console Creatures

Deleted member 58401

User requested account closure
Banned
Jul 7, 2019
That Waypoint review is absolutely hilarious and it's not supposed to be.
Agreed. So bad. And not for the colonialism piece, specifically. I thought it was awful because it went in like nine different directions at once. It's relatively coherent, but it's more of a disjointed ramble than a review. I would have to be high to write something that all over the place. She may have been, I guess?

*I hope she never finds out about Civilization 1-VI, Sim City 1-3000, or a game with actual politics and moral quanderies.

Oh, and the colonialism piece is definitely something a high person would suddenly weave into the narrative.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Yeah the IGN and Waypoint reviews are just bad. Lots of great reviews though. Specifically GameXplains review was wonderful. Incredibly emotional, descriptive, critical, and informative.