• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 56 4.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 106 7.7%
  • 90-94

Votes: 583 42.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 497 36.0%
  • 80-84

Votes: 113 8.2%
  • 75-79

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • under 75

Votes: 16 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Hearing about all the things and people that are cut is leaving me feeling very disappointed.
a recap for everyone playing along at home:

KK was spotted in the February Direct

gyroids seem to be out, as are:

- paintings
- Brewster and the Roost
- Crazy Redd's
- Dr. Shrunk in any role
- Kapp'n in any role
- Reese and Cyrus
- the police dogs
- Resetti (in person at least)
- any auction function whatsoever
- any physical presence of the HRA/Lyle
- an HRA showcase analog
- Harriet and Shampoodle
- Katrina the fortuneteller (not 100% sure about this one)
- a Dream Suite analog

And more!

edit: oh, I forgot my childhood favorite character Rover, who's so dead even my memory of him is gone

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
I fully expect most/all features & characters from past games not currently in the game to be added via free updates.

I imagine Nintendo has many things planned for the game in the future, and will do events akin to MMOs.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
a recap for everyone playing along at home:

Has that been confirmed with data mining yet? Just so you all know, these reviews were all limited by Nintendo, we could only talk about the first 16 days' worth of content. If we used time manipulation, we were told not to mention anything we found after the first 16 days. I would be shocked to learn that this much stuff doesn't emerge within later months, because the game is all about adding new pieces to your Island bit by bit.

Jeremy

Oct 25, 2017
Has that been confirmed with data mining yet? Just so you all know, these reviews were all limited by Nintendo, we could only talk about the first 16 days' worth of content. If we used time manipulation, we were told not to mention anything we found after the first 16 days. I would be shocked to learn that this much stuff doesn't emerge within later months, because the game is all about adding new pieces to your Island bit by bit.

Man, I hate that they put limits on what can be discussed in a review.

Feb 4, 2018
yeah, exactly. It's deffos a hard problem to solve, because Builders has the same problem and basically the exact same solution haha. And I mean both games really are about the importance of community cooperation and taking care of your environment but, the designers don't want players getting too bogged down in management and potentially feeling frustrated because of how much you'd need to think ahead given limited resources. It's admirable but you don't want to accidentally undermine your themes in the process and it's all just v complicated
Yes!! It does seem like a system more in keeping with both games' general ethos would be less resource gathering and more resource management, which like you said isn't necessarily what they want to do. It's a struggle for sure.

Agreed. So bad. And not for the colonialism piece, specifically. I thought it was awful because it went in like nine different directions at once. It's relatively coherent, but it's more of a disjointed ramble than a review. I would have to be high to write something that all over the place. She may have been, I guess?

*I hope she never finds out about Civilization 1-VI, Sim City 1-3000, or a game with actual politics and moral quanderies.

Oh, and the colonialism piece is definitely something a high person would suddenly weave into the narrative.
Sorry, but I feel like you could critique the review without being condescending toward Gita. She's been writing for games for some time now and she's definitely aware of Civ and SimCity. It doesn't preclude her from looking at games that are less overtly political through a sociopolitical lens. I know that's not most people's cup of tea and that's fine, but could we all still be respectful and not insinuate that she's high?

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
that's just based on what we, the general public, know. I'm sure datamining will confirm and deny stuff in the coming weeks

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Nintendo straight up stated in the direct that the incompatible amiibo would be added in updates over time, so I expect most of those characters will eventually show up in some capacity

MayorSquirtle

May 17, 2018
I know most of the removed stuff will probably be added back in with free updates, but... I can't say I like it. If it was a matter of them needing to make cuts to get the game out then it should've been delayed. If it's a deliberate strategy then I really don't care for it, just like I don't care for how both Splatoon games launched with hardly any maps and didn't feel like they became full-featured until months after launch.

Alexhex

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
Yes!! It does seem like a system more in keeping with both games' general ethos would be less resource gathering and more resource management, which like you said isn't necessarily what they want to do. It's a struggle for sure.

Sorry, but I feel like you could critique the review without being condescending toward Gita. She's been writing for games for some time now and she's definitely aware of Civ and SimCity. It doesn't preclude her from looking at games that are less overtly political through a sociopolitical lens. I know that's not most people's cup of tea and that's fine, but could we all still be respectful and not insinuate that she's high?
it's really strange to see posts like that, especially on this forum. I don't know if anything a little deeper than surface-level analysis goes over folks' heads because they aren't used to it or if they don't see any value in taking that approach to nintendo games, but seeing so many people lashing out at a reviewer just observing a very simple and obvious theme is just, so embarrassing

Oct 26, 2017
Any specific mention of the writing? Kind of hoping they let certain personality types be a bit sassy/rude again like they used to (although maybe not as aggro as AC on Gamecube)

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Wow. With this context, its really incredible that people are losing their shit to this degree about purportedly cut content.

mopinks

Oct 27, 2017
In certain ways, sure. However, carving out series staples like gyroids, Redd, a quarter of the Museum's collection, etc. that have traditionally been accessible within your first days of playing isn't normal at all.
personally I see cutting the worst part of the Museum's collection as a positive

DOWN WITH PAINTINGS

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
In certain ways, sure. However, carving out series staples like gyroids, Redd, a quarter of the Museum's collection, etc. that have traditionally been accessible within your first days of playing isn't normal at all.
It's true, but when you consider that they already delayed the game once, the reality is that if those things were in the game (though they still might be, given our limited info, save for the paintings), other major new features might not have been. I'd rather have an AC game that makes major leaps forward at the expense of a few collectibles at launch over a game that's basically just the last game but HD at launch.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I don't think trying to list out what isn't in the game makes sense at the moment. Especially with dlc and updates that are going to be added.

Might be inaccurate, but I think it's fine. Personally I was already sold on this game no matter what the reviews said and I wasn't surprised by the review scores so I'm more looking for stuff people didn't like in the game.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I could see a big content drop this summer including things like 'cut' NPCs and a museum expansion etc.

Also regarding Nat and Chip (spoiler kinda) we have seen an inexplicable empty laboratory in the bug section of the museum that includes a picture of Nat. I wouldn't be surprised if Nat and Chip return in some capacity at the museum and are not unlockable within the first couple weeks of the game.

Pascal

▲ Legend ▲
The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Parts Unknown
That Waypoint review is absolutely hilarious and it's not supposed to be.
I am shocked -- shocked -- Waypoint's review worked colonialism into it.

Into Animal Crossing.

Animal. Crossing.
That review is what actually fully convinced me to buy the game. It's gonna be the first time I really play an AC game. I could use some cute and harmless virtual colonialism in my life right about now.

Last edited:

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
I love the GameXplain (video) review. You can really tell how much the reviewer enjoyed the game. Love this little tidbit

So extra, haha, love it!

And the top Youtube comment for the vid nailed it

Could not be more true, we definitely need some new horizons right now.

By the way: I could not manage finding the name of the GameXplain reviewer. They are making it kinda hard. Anyone could help me out here?
Hi! Just catching up on this thread. That would be me!

Deleted member 51789

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 9, 2019
The ideas and opinions in the Waypoint review are fine, but it just felt messy and disjointed to read. I know Gita is a good writer and knows her onions, but I don't think this has her usual quality.

Still, much better than a few of the others that read as a very slightly expanded list of PR points.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Console Creatures (no score):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons launches at the perfect time and is the perfect game for the Nintendo Switch. In a world currently full of anxiety and uncertainty, what New Horizons offers is an excellent reprieve from our worldly stress. I find myself less worried about the issues around me and more invested in making Seaport the best place to live for its inhabitants. Aside from the slow start, once things fall into place and click, New Horizons shifts into the definitive experience for the series and easily one of the most engaging games the series has to offer. I can't stop smiling and Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a ray of sunshine on a rainy day.

GRYOnline.pl (9/10, review in Polish):
In case of Animal Crossing, a dull slogan like "this game is addictive" becomes true. I have been, with utmost pleasure, fishing, and planting flowers; I have decorated my house and talked to the residents of the island, and it was all fun. And even though I've spend more than 50 hours with New Horizons, there are still lots I of things haven't seen. If you own a Switch and like splendid grind, you simply have to play it.

IGN Benelux (8.5/10, review in Dutch):
In the end, that's what Animal Crossing is about: the endless loop of short, daily play sessions where you might be working on your debt, or see what has changed in your absence. The goals the game sets for you, such as paying off debts and building furniture for new residents, are just to unlock new systems and objects. As in real life, you will have to set your own goals to stay interested. This is not for everyone, of course, but the creative spirit who likes to build something will enjoy New Horizons for hours - if not years - of fun. Give it a shot and this virtual life will become a regular part of your real life.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
So I have 2 switches, one regular and one lite. I'm going to buy the game digitally on my Eshop account and I was thinking, since Nintendo said save files and islands are restricted one per switch, is it possible for me and my little brother to use the same Nimtendo Account on two different switches but let both consoles have different saves/islands so we can both play separately. Do you guys think that'll work? And if it does do you think it'll have complications down the road where they won't be able to back up my save data because I'll have theoretically two different saves on one profile?

If it's like other games, and it should be, you'll be able to play on both Switches simultaneously using your own profiles. If you're using the same profile, I don't think you'll be able to play at the same time.

The last part is what worries me as well. We don't know how the transfer system is going to work, and I'm a bit worried that sharing the game will interfere with something. It really shouldn't though, as I'd imagine you can switch between the digital and physical version of the game seamlessly, though I've never tried that.

Melpomene

One Winged Slayer
Jun 9, 2019
I've been on a media blackout for so long. I can't waaaaiiiiit~

"Out" as in not the game at all? Or could we be getting new alternatives to those previously existing features?
At the moment, it means "out" as in "has yet to be seen in any released footage" and presumably has also not been mentioned in any reviews. It's not confirmed, per se, it's just a conspicuous absence at the moment.

Nugnip

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not worried about anything that's "out" in a game where the content is better when it's drip feed, and this game being the first one that's gonna have regular content updates (starting with the Easter stuff announced in the Direct). I'm sure most of it will eventually make its way into the game.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

Agreed. On top of that, the argument of "worse things exist" is just so hollow. Like, yeah, of course. And?

Deleted member 8166

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
the user was not condescending in any way. they just stated the facts about the waypoint review. it is all over the place and is missing coherence.

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
Hi! Just catching up on this thread. That would be me!

Thanks again for this lovely review! <3

Is there a reason you don't put the authors name under the reviews? Just curious as I looking for that but could not find the info, unless I missed something. Or is that your policy for a reason?

Thanks anyways, so looking forward to playing this soon!

shodgson8

Aug 22, 2018
Positive reviews and generally what is happening in the world has pushed me to pick this up (I also just finished off Luigi's Mansion and need more relaxed switch time in my life).

Was going to get a digital code but the other thread mentioning the eshop being down makes me think it might be best to get a physical copied ordered.

Naga

Alt account
Banned
Aug 29, 2019
Happily eating crow that this is above 90MC (predicted 89).
The durability aspect really sounds bad though.

Also is it true that you unlock the regular soundtrack (different track per hour) only later in the game? That sounds really stupid.

Titik

Oct 25, 2017
This is coming out at such a perfect time. Like I know it's morbid but Nintendo couldn't have engineered this timing.

people looking to escape from the real world, building virtual communities hike authorities are asking for social distancing in the physical world. Like i can see papers and being written on this thing, mark my words.