• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

predict the metascore

Votes: 56 4.1%
  • 95-99

Votes: 106 7.7%
  • 90-94

Votes: 583 42.2%
  • 85-89

Votes: 497 36.0%
  • 80-84

Votes: 113 8.2%
  • 75-79

Votes: 10 0.7%
  • under 75

Votes: 16 1.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Steve

Good Vibes Gaming
Verified
Oct 24, 2017
Parts Unknown
Thanks again for this lovely review! <3

Is there a reason you don't put the authors name under the reviews? Just curious as I looking for that but could not find the info, unless I missed something. Or is that your policy for a reason?

Thanks anyways, so looking forward to playing this soon!

You're most welcome! I think it's just a holdover from when GX was a much smaller channel. When there are only two or three folks, it's easy to tell who's who. I played around with creating a lower-third to let the viewers know who's reviewing, but I never quite got around to finishing it. I probably should!

Deleted member 51957

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Is there a lot to do in a day? Like if I take off work Friday to play this will I quickly be bored once I run out of my chores for the day?

Astrogamer

Oct 25, 2017
This Animal Crossing colonialism thing is reminding me of a good video by Folding Ideas on Colonialism in Minecraft

TanookiTom

Oct 29, 2017
Berlin
You're most welcome! I think it's just a holdover from when GX was a much smaller channel. When there are only two or three folks, it's easy to tell who's who. I played around with creating a lower-third to let the viewers know who's reviewing, but I never quite got around to finishing it. I probably should!

I guess now we will all have plenty of time to get to those things we never found time for ;_;

Anyhow, you could surely also insert it at some point in the video. But it was just my little personal anecdote cause I loved the review and just wanted to find out your name to find more!

And to be more on topic: so happy with all those positive reviews. This is just what I will need during the next weeks, being locked inside more or less #escapeism

RingoGaSuki

Apr 22, 2019
Is there a lot to do in a day? Like if I take off work Friday to play this will I quickly be bored once I run out of my chores for the day?
If you time travel then there's heaps to do, I've time-travelled forward four days total at the moment, and have the shop and museum (and am currently building houses for more residents/about to get the Able Sisters as well). I'm the type that prefers to leap ahead so things can progress, but if you play in real-time you'll get 1.5-2 hours a day out of it.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TheGamer (5/5):
Overall, playing New Horizons was well worth the wait. The game is relaxing, enjoyable, well thought out, and fantastic chilled out fun for all ages. Right now, we really need a distraction from the chaos around us, and this game has come at the perfect time. So relax, hop on that plane, and enjoy your new life on the beach, in the woods, or even by the river. The choice is yours.

Gamerheadquarters (9.5/10):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the sequel I've been waiting for, providing countless hours of gameplay and being a near perfect experience. It's definitely been modernized, while retaining that classic style of play that has become so iconic. I'm not sure why it took them so long for this to release, as the series has been sparse releases wise but I'm so happy to be playing it once again. It's something that anyone can easily enjoy, and just sink hours or days into.

Cerealkillerz (9.2/10, review in German):
Good things take time, a luxury that benefits Animal Crossing in particular! New Horizons extends the life simulation with an impressive island building simulator that is bursting with creativity and richness of detail. This makes the trip to your own oasis of wellbeing a fantastic gaming experience that knows how to inspire for many weeks and months.

Just Push Start (9/10):
There is no denying Animal Crossing: New Horizons won't appeal to everyone. However, given how so many things have changed, it's nice to have a routine and other mundane tasks that give your life a sense of normalcy. Not only is it relaxing in general, it's the kind of escape that is perfect in a time when things are everything but. It might not be the best in terms of pacing, but anyone willing to invest in this adventure and give the simple charms a genuine try will likely be surprised by just how fun it can be.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Pure Nintendo (9.5/10):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons hit every checkbox for me. It's clear in their handling of New Horizons that Nintendo truly cares about this series and understands its value to its audience.

Tech Advisor (4.5/5):
The hype for Animal Crossing: New Horizons wasn't an exaggeration - it's relaxing, heart-warming and an all-round beautiful game for the Switch that is likely to sit up with other legendary Nintendo games like Zelda: Breath of the Wild and Mario Odyssey for years to come.

Carole Quintaine (18/20, review in French):
Animal Crossing New Horizons is simply adorable! Its world full of colors, its cute look and its multitude of possibilities make it an absolutely awesome and extremely generous game. The crafting allows a very satisfying experience, you can do just about anything on your island and transform it radically at your leisure. This exotic adventure is a real piece of paradise and the feeling of freedom is total.

Nintendo World Report (8.5/10, updated review):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is a whole new approach to the series. While it has created some downsides, I can't understate how great this game has come together. The overall flow has been expanded with Nook Miles goals, DIY projects, and very lively animal friends. What I'm impressed by is how I was never left without something to do, and how I could see the world improve around me. There are a few things that New Horizons could have explained better, but they are also part of the more free flowing future that the franchise wants. Even after all these years, there is a daily routine that I hold dear and makes me adore the various elements that glue this game together. It has been sharply dialed up to eleven, without disagrading any newcomers.

JeuxActu (16/20, review in French):
Animal Crossing New Horizons is a good entry in the series with it's new features like terraforming and crafting, but overall it's not a revolution, and it surely won't convince gamers who dislike the IP.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Cheat Code Central (4.9/5):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons could end up being the most important game of 2020. It certainly will be one of its best. It will be the coping mechanism that helps people both recover from and overcome the dark things around them.

Games.cz (9/10, review in Czech):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons will easily become your lovely new daily routine. Every day you'll be coming back and discovering something new, you won't be feeling alone even in sinlgeplayer and you'll become a part of a community that will transform a tropical island into a paradise on Earth (just forget about the couch coop, though).

GamingBolt (9/10):
Minor annoyances aside, Animal Crossing: New Horizons is an absolute gem. It is a charming, adorable game that takes you away on a magical, peaceful getaway, where everything is calm and relaxed and, most importantly, fun. In the world that we live in right now, it's exactly the sort of game all of us need. It's the culmination of the series' formula, the zenith of everything Animal Crossing is about, and one of the best games Nintendo have produced in years.

GameSpew (9/10):
There has never been a better time for a new Animal Crossing game to arrive. It cannot fix what's going on in the world right now, but Animal Crossing: New Horizons gives us the joyful, meditative escape that so many of us desperately need right now. Whether you're young or old, you'll find something to like. What isn't to love about customising your dream island and being able to sit on a bench by the beach, listening to the waves, just because you can? Nothing I can think of, that's for sure.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
LevelUp (9.3/10, review in Spanish):
Thanks to new customization possibilities, a lot of classic charm and many QOL improvements, Animal Crossing: New Horizons stands as the best of the franchise so far. This game builds a community sense in different levels, something that we need at present time.

Shacknews (9/10):
If your Switch has been sitting in the corner collecting dust since the last big Nintendo release, and you want something to sink your teeth into, I highly recommend picking up Animal Crossing: New Horizons and getting lost in the beautiful – if not sometimes menial – work that Tom Nook has waiting for you

GameCrate (8/10):
New Horizons is a great evolution for the Animal Crossing franchise. As always Nintendo has integrated some amazing innovations into the formula, but in the process made some really weird design decisions that detract from the fun.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Digitally Downloaded (4.5/5):
We all need games like Animal Crossing: New Horizons, and while I don't think it's perfect by any means, and some of the new elements this time around come at the expense of what made previous titles so wonderful, the winning charm is still there in full.

Worth Playing (9/10):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons offers players a plethora of things to do at a very measured pace. The slow build does well to lull players into a cadence and get them used to some of the basics before going full bore — while still managing to be a relaxing jaunt. Solo play is near-perfect with the new additions that make this feel different from previous outings, while multiplayer is a treat even if some of the methods can feel slightly archaic. Ultimately, this is the kind of long-term game you want to get addicted to because it has a wealth of things to discover and do.

Coricus

Oct 25, 2017
I don't usually criticize others impressions or reviews but this video was pretty worthless besides insulting people who have different opinions than Jim's (basically equating people who like weapons breaking in BOTW to people who go on the beach during the quarantine).
I make a point of not watching Jim Sterling's videos because everything I've ever heard about his attitude sounds too unpalatable for me to really bother and his opinions generally don't align with mine either, but did he actually make that comparison?

Because if he did, that's. . .incredibly tasteless of him to put it the absolute mildest way possible, holy carp. Like, tasteless enough to be actively called out tasteless.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
I make a point of not watching Jim Sterling's videos because everything I've ever heard about his attitude sounds too unpalatable for me to really bother and his opinions generally don't align with mine either, but did he actually make that comparison?

Because if he did, that's. . .incredibly tasteless of him to put it the absolute mildest way possible, holy carp. Like, tasteless enough to be actively called out tasteless.
Yeah, for social issues Jim is always on the right side which is nice compared to a lot of scummy youtubers but when it comes to making hyperbolic and obnoxious statements he's as bad as most clickbait gaming youtubers.

OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
But Why Tho? (10/10):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is an incredible experience and is, without a doubt, my favorite in the whole series. The formula is familiar for returning fans, yet still manages to feel like an enormous breath of fresh air. It truly is a distinctive, positive, and rewarding simulation that lets you become fully immersed in a fun, colorful, stress-free environment. While it still has its confusing moments, especially for new players, Animal Crossing: New Horizons was definitely worth the seven-year wait and is better than I could have ever hoped for.

Switch Player (5/5):
Time apart can be good for the soul and New Horizons is proof of just that. Seven years in the making, this is the definitive Animal Crossing experience. This is as close as it gets to Animal Crossing perfection.

GameSkinny (10/10):
The latest Animal Crossing is also the best, full of life, charm, and near-endless ways to make your very own island paradise.

EDGE Magazine (9/10):
To play New Horizons is to retreat to a fairer, kinder place, where even the supposed bad guy is a philanthropist who gives you interest-free loans you can pay off at your leisure. Animal Crossing has always been a pleasure; never has it felt quote so essential.

Gamer.no (9/10, review in Norwegian):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons feels like an ideal continuation of a well-established game series, with all the right improvements, without sacrificing the good, home-made feeling of playing an Animal Crossing game. This is a perfect friend and family game that is safe for kids of all ages, while I think the game's humor hits players of all age groups.

In a strange and trying time, I've found tranquility and immense joy in Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Whether I've been playing alone or visiting friends' islands, I've had many, many hours of fun with the game, and I'm looking forward to continuing the island life, building an ever-larger house, paying off a disturbingly large mortgage from Tom Nook, and get to know all the wonderfully funny and weird animals that come to my island.

Game Revolution (4.5/5):
Despite some of Animal Crossing: New Horizons' new features disappointing, in almost every other department this is much more of what series' fans love. More customization, more freedom, and a greater sense of progression and purpose make this the definitive Animal Crossing game and a must-have Nintendo Switch exclusive. A perfect entry-point for series' newcomers and a warm comfort blanket for veterans, this is what I wanted out of my favorite series' Switch debut.

Two Beard Gaming (9/10):
I honestly love Animal Crossing: New Horizons, as it stands it was one of four must-buys for me this year and it's definitely not let me down. I've played it everyday since release and I think I'm gradually unlocking bits of progress. Currently waiting on the visitor centre to be upgraded to see what new things Tom Nook has to offer. I'd 100% recommend it to anyone after a chilled gaming experience.

Video Chums (8.1/10):
This latest Animal Crossing delivers the same charm and laidback fun that fans love. Plus, it provides more structure with its nifty Nook Miles system. In the end, this is a game that you'll be glad to pick up and play in short bursts for weeks, months, or even years.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We Got This Covered (5/5):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is the perfect getaway from daily life, putting players in a serene world where the only thing that matters is catching fish and arranging furniture. Its crafting system creates a sense of ownership over the island while also doubling as a creative outlet. It's an absolutely delightful and refreshing experience.

GamingTrend (95/100):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is easily the best Animal Crossing game to date. This life simulator is the most immersive, feature-filled, and customizable to date, having exponentially amplified all the charm and addicting qualities of New Leaf. A must have for any fan of the series, or anyone who simply needs a distraction from the current state of the real world.

TechRaptor (9.5/10):
It's the best Animal Crossing yet, with the best visuals, unparalleled customization, wonderful villagers, and so much content that it isn't even funny. Animal Crossing: New Horizons is Nintendo at its best.

Nintendo Times (9.5/10):
I absolutely adore Animal Crossing: New Horizons. Fans of the series will appreciate numerous quality of life improvements, especially when it comes to interior decorating. The new crafting mechanic and Nook Miles Rewards system are welcome additions to an already addictive experience. With beautiful graphics, charming characters, memorable soundtrack, and an unbelievable lasting value, this one will be on my Switch HOME screen for years to come.

Checkpoint Gaming (9/10):
In these difficult times we're in, I'm glad Animal Crossing: New Horizons is there to help me hang out with my friends and loved ones. It's the perfect game to play if you're going to be stuck inside for a few weeks. There's always a reason to switch it on, whether that be shopping, crafting, or getting silly with some friends. Happy relaxing!

Twinfinite (4.5/5):
New Horizons is the definitive Animal Crossing experience—that much is clear after a relatively short amount of time spent with it. And with the promise of future holiday updates, it's guaranteed that fans both new and old will return to their islands again and again for many years to come.

BaziCenter (9/10, review in Farsi):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons is yet another title that you can clearly see Nintendo's mark on it. It aims only to entertain, and it succeeds. If you are looking to distant yourself from all the violence and adrenaline that most games on the market are offering right now, then this is a perfect match for you.

FNintendo (9/10, review in Portuguese):
Animal Crossing: New Horizons marks the return of the much appreciated series to a Nintendo home console and this new episode is an achievement in every way. With its familiar formula but adding some new mechanics, New Horizons features a fantastic sense of progression, a lot of generosity in its rewards and puts the player in a wonderful environment, all these being major pillars of creating a marvelous experience where we most expect it.

Paste Magazine (8.5/10):
Nintendo might have ramped up the numbers and the to-do lists, all the tasks and chores that make New Horizons feel like one of the last outposts of whatever notions of normalcy we might've once had, but you can still tune that out and live within your own head for a spell. That head might naturally drift towards the hellishly contorted world we live in, and not the delightfully cartoonish one of Animal Crossing, but escapism is overrated anyway. I'd rather worry about every aspect of modern living while quietly reflecting on the rhythmic roar of a videogame ocean than while sitting slackjawed in a living room I won't ever be able to leave again. Give me these New Horizons—rigid, commercial, and staid—over the chaos of the last decade.

Last edited: