• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
screenshot2021-02-01a84jer.png

the game was at 26.04 million in the previous quarter, which means it sold 5.14 million copies in October-December 2020.

EDIT: lifetime sales of the previous entries in the series (source)

- Animal Crossing (N64) - 213K (famitsu number)
- Animal Crossing (GameCube) - 2.27M
- Animal Crossing: Wild World - 11.75M
- Animal Crossing: City Folk - 4.32M
- Animal Crossing: New Leaf - 12.82M

new horizons is very close to outselling all previous entries combined.

Last edited:

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
+30m in 9 months for a plattform exclusive is nuts....NUTS.

IRS gonna come for Tom Nook anytime soon.

ExoExplorer

Jan 3, 2019
New York City
Likely to be the best selling Animal Crossing ever I expect.
Never say never! But yeah, it will be quite interesting to see how the next entry sells in comparison. The pandemic definitely boosted sales, though I'd argue the franchise is primed for greater mainstream appeal. I can see growth if Nintendo pushed it across different media. It's already fairly successful on mobile for instance.

Catalyst

Oct 6, 2020
No one; and I mean NO ONE expected the game to be this ridiculously successful before it came out. Especially in Japan.

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
But it's a niche game, you guys! A niche game.

lol

Absolutely incredible legs for New Horizons. I have to imagine it's selling beyond even Nintendo's wildest expectations at this point.

Wulfric

Oct 25, 2017
The net dollar revenue for Nintendo has got to end with a billion at this point, right?

HockeyBird

Oct 27, 2017
Off to a bit of an early lead but no doubt FF7 Remake will surpass it any day now. Any day now.

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Is that one of the best selling games in a single year ever?
I can't think of too many games that have sold 31 million copies in less than 12 months
Maybe GTA or COD.
Absolutely can't think of anything outside of those games though. Certainly not anything that is full price either.

Also, without a doubt the fastest selling console exclusive. Likely by miles

MaxAugust

Jan 28, 2018
Is that one of the best selling games in a single year ever?
I can't think of too many games that have sold 31 million copies in less than 12 months
Maybe GTA or COD.
Absolutely can't think of anything outside of those games though. Certainly not anything that is full price either.

Also, without a doubt the fastest selling console exclusive. Likely by miles
GTA, COD, and the like do these sort of numbers but aren't exclusive and also go on sale.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
Thats so crazy, feels like the stars aligned for this release.

Comes with the downside that this will probably change the series for ever. All the people demanding "substantial" dlc have totally different expectations than AC players used to have

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They could fund 3 big games with the money they could make with a $10 ACNH dlc.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
These numbers are amazing, but the ratio is surprising to me.

only 1/6 of the total copies sold in the last 9 months were in the holiday season, where Nintendo games usually sell their best. I guess that really shows how much of a zeitgeist it was when it came out

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We live in a world where Animal Crossing is bigger than Mario, Zelda, and Pokémon. Just wow.