• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Meelow

Oct 31, 2017
Last edited by a moderator:

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Interesting. I guess their cloud solution is not secure enough to prevent hacks, and they sre building a secure solution in addition? Seems rather roundabout, but perhaps Splatoon 2 and others that are missing this feature can use this as well?

Podge293

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Why isn't it available at launch? Like it's kinda ridiculous that this shit isn't available day one.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Unannounced time line, huh. Is this them revealing their sensible plans that OF COURSE they always had or... is this them pivoting.

Eeyore

User requested ban
Banned
Dec 13, 2019
I don't understand this. If the cloud solution isn't good enough for this game, why is it used for any game? And why not make it good enough? Seriously Nintendo I've loved your games this gen, but what are you doing?!

criteriondog

I like the chili style
Oct 26, 2017
Oh thank god.
Every game on switch should support cloud saves with NSO.
You should be able to back up to an SD card or USB as well.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Thank god; I plan on upgrading my Switch eventually and that save news was absolutely terrible.

As long as this different "save backup" function allows me to transfer over my save when the time comes, i'll have no problems.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY
Some more from the page, translated by browser. Mostly stuff already known. Bolded what I think most people want to know, which is also in the OP.

Only one island can be created even if multiple software are used. In addition if you want to play in the island, you need another body .

Since the save data of the island is saved in the Nintendo Switch itself, there is only one island (save data) even if the package version and the download version are used together.

Saved data of this software does not support "moving user" or "moving saved data". Please note that if you purchase a "second unit", you will not be able to transfer the original island data to another unit.

This software does not support "Save Data Storage" of Nintendo Switch Online, but in case of failure, loss or theft of the Nintendo Switch body, in the original form of this software We are considering a function to back up save data. Use of this function is limited to Nintendo Switch Online subscribers. Correspondence time is undecided. We will notify you as soon as the time is decided.

This software can be played on Nintendo Switch Lite.
However, when playing with Nintendo Switch Lite in simultaneous play (party mode) between residents on the same island, it is necessary to connect Joy-Con and Pro controllers for the number of people. Please refer to

As long as some sort of backup is coming, I'm pretty happy. I just don't want to be stuck on the same Switch forever. I can deal with not being able to play on two consoles for a bit, though being able to would be ideal.

Atheerios

Oct 27, 2017
So this probably means the game will use its own backup solution in-game instead of using the Switch OS backup as it doesn't support AC

Oct 25, 2017
Wonder if this is like a separate server based method that's beyond systems so we can transfer to other consoles

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Some more from the page, translated by browser. Mostly stuff already known. Bolded what I think most people want to know, which is also in the OP.

As long as some sort of backup is coming, I'm pretty happy. I just don't want to be stuck on the same Switch forever. I can deal with not being able to play on two consoles for a bit, though being able to would be ideal.
So, based on these two lines

Saved data of this software does not support "moving user" or "moving saved data". Please note that if you purchase a "second unit", you will not be able to transfer the original island data to another unit.

This software does not support "Save Data Storage" of Nintendo Switch Online, but in case of failure, loss or theft of the Nintendo Switch body, in the original form of this software We are considering a function to back up save data. Use of this function is limited to Nintendo Switch Online subscribers. Correspondence time is undecided. We will notify you as soon as the time is decided.

I guess this is just entirely separate from the Switch OS' usual save backup and transfer system, and New Horizons will just have a totally different method of save backup? This implies that you'll be able to recover the save on a new system though, so hopefully a basic save transfer function is part of that.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017

I guess this is just entirely separate from the Switch OS' usual save backup and transfer system, and New Horizons will just have a totally different method of save backup? This implies that you'll be able to recover the save on a new system though, so hopefully a basic save transfer function is part of that.

it sounds like they may devise a system that lets you backup your save but not every aspect of the island ? Don't wanna read too much into a translation

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Unannounced time line, huh. Is this them revealing their sensible plans that OF COURSE they always had or... is this them pivoting.
I mean, they've "admitted" to pivoting due to consumer feedback before with the Super Mario Maker 2 online multiplayer with friends situation, so I don't think they would necessarily be opposed to saying it is in response to consumer feedback.

nikos

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
New York, NY

Yeah, it probably has its own in-game solution which is probably what we see in this screenshot that has been floating around.

img[

Deleted member 31092

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
It's probably some feature that auto synch I to avoid reverting back to an old save from the cloud if I have to speculate.

Wasn't this the reason why they never added cloud saves to Splatoon? Because it didn't have auto synch and people could revert back to an older save (for example in case they lost a rank)

poptire

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the direct before jumping to conclusions. That other thread was wild.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
it sounds like they may devise a system that lets you backup your save but not every aspect of the island ? Don't wanna read too much into a translation
That makes sense; i'm assuming the main issue they have with Switch OS' method of save transferring is that New Horizons is tied to every profile on the Switch, and if you only transfer one you'll run into problems with the other villagers/profiles set up on that island.

I just really need to find out if I can freely transfer to another system when I upgrade from my launch model; all I want to know.

Santar

Oct 27, 2017
Norway
They should absolutely let you transfer the save to another switch. Locking save transfer between a paid online feature is not a solution.

Static

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they've "admitted" to pivoting due to consumer feedback before with the Super Mario Maker 2 online multiplayer with friends situation, so I don't think they would necessarily be opposed to saying it is in response to consumer feedback.
No, I know, I remember. But the way this reads is just sooo. Fumbly. This shit isn't rocket surgery but I have such little faith in Nintendo's grasp of common sense decisions to look out for their customers best interest.

Pancakes R Us

Oct 27, 2017

I got the impression from that translation that you're still stuck with the first Switch system you play it on.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Where is this for Splatoon 2 and why do you need a membership anyway just to have a backup save will never stop annoying me. Just like me save on my SD card.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I got the impression from that translation that you're still stuck with the first Switch system you play it on.
That wouldn't make sense if the main point of the feature is to account for the system being broken, lost or stolen (and in that case, I don't know why NSO would need to be involved either). In all of those cases, you'd need a new Switch unit.

The translation is rough, but i'm reading the "in the original form of this software" line as referring to the backup function being a part of the software (New Horizons) itself, as the screenshot posted early in the thread seems to show.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019
so, if at some point in the future i want to get a new switch, i won't be able to transfer my acnh save data? am i reading that correctly?

Oct 25, 2017
so, if at some point in the future i want to get a new switch, i won't be able to transfer my acnh save data? am i reading that correctly?
Save file transfer from system to system via the built-in function is apparently still not possible, but considering the nature of save backup is to get your save back in case the original console is impaired by any means, I'm assuming this save back up will just allow you to get it back just through your account.

MelliiDragon

Oct 27, 2017
Save file transfer from system to system via the built-in function is apparently still not possible, but considering the nature of save backup is to get your save back in case the original console is impaired by any means, I'm assuming this save back up will just allow you to get it back just through your account.

Something else that is not in the translation of the OP:

本ソフトは、Nintendo Switch Onlineの「セーブデータお預かり」には対応していませんが、Nintendo Switch本体の故障・紛失・盗難に備えて、本ソフト独自の形で、セーブデータをバックアップする機能を検討しています。本機能のご利用はNintendo Switch Online加入者に限られます。対応時期は未定です。時期が決まり次第、お知らせいたします。

Here they directly mention that it exists for those cases of the system being stolen or broken. So switching to a new system should work.

fleet

Jan 2, 2019

okay. i'm not gonna stress out over it cause i assume more info will be released in the inevitable direct. but i hope that you're right; i want to get the acnh switch but i won't be able to cop it on launch, so it would bother me infinitely if i couldn't transfer my save from my current switch to my future switch.

metsallica

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
I look forward to the next inevitable freakout based on partial information.