• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Ah okay, I couldn't find very clear instructions so I ended up at a Kotaku story about it saying a bunch of people were accidentally deleting their towns because they weren't high enough level to sell.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
I don't have anything specific to say about AC at the moment but I do love the franchise. I'm very happy that there is a community for the game here and I bookmarked this thread.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Just joined the DIscord but it seems I cannot see what others are posting. Do I need to post swimsuit selfies to gain access or something?

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
You just need to @ the mods group and introduce yourselves for access.

If Niraj and I aren't enough I'll promote somebody else too.

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017
Or PM me on Discord with your username if you don't feel comfortable sharing in the chat for any reason.

Ellix

Oct 26, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I have a copy of the original AC lying around somewhere, is it worth playing? Should I buy New Leaf instead?

I think I wouldn't recommend original AC over New Leaf for anyone new or restarting with Animal Crossing. The original AC does have some worthwhile unique aspects (e.g. certain holidays, NES emulators, "meaner" villagers), but I think after the nostalgia fades I just can't leave behind the vast QoL improvements and content in New Leaf. Especially now that a lot of previously removed villagers are returning in the newer games.

I remember how item storage was 3 single items per drawer. My basement was like some kind of slide puzzle where I'd have to push things around to reach the drawer with the one shirt or pinwheel I needed. The most "lucrative" income was from fishing for an hour on the beach and seeing how many red snapper or barbed knifejaw you were lucky enough to get, and is nothing compared to the island or active turnip market in New Leaf. And you had to mail each fossil one by one in a letter to the museum for evaluation, and they would only send a max of 3 fossils back per day... *shudder*

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I think I wouldn't recommend original AC over New Leaf for anyone new or restarting with Animal Crossing. The original AC does have some worthwhile unique aspects (e.g. certain holidays, NES emulators, "meaner" villagers), but I think after the nostalgia fades I just can't leave behind the vast QoL improvements and content in New Leaf. Especially now that a lot of previously removed villagers are returning in the newer games.

I remember how item storage was 3 single items per drawer. My basement was like some kind of slide puzzle where I'd have to push things around to reach the drawer with the one shirt or pinwheel I needed. The most "lucrative" income was from fishing for an hour on the beach and seeing how many red snapper or barbed knifejaw you were lucky enough to get, and is nothing compared to the island or active turnip market in New Leaf. And you had to mail each fossil one by one in a letter to the museum for evaluation, and they would only send a max of 3 fossils back per day... *shudder*
Yeah, but none of the newer ones have GBA connectivity.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Yo, awesum.
Since that other forum went kaput I wasn't sure I'd see you again.

How goes it?

Very well, actually.

My second daughter was born earlier this month. Here name is Fiorella. I messaged you a couple of times on Steam but you never got back to me. I figured you were busy. I messaged Classic on Reddit but she rarely goes there.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I am still on the look out for the japanese holiday Oni masks. Does anyone happen to have extras?

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
Christmas events are up on AC PocketCamp if it's gone 6am where you are.

Some of them:
NsANB2z.png

HeRLByO.png

Norgler

Nov 13, 2017
I love AC but I kind of wish someone would just make a better one. Seems like a perfect like mini social media game but it's so awkward due to Nintendo. Although I'm sure if someone else did it the game would lose it's all that Nintendo charm.

Dineren

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Have there even been any attempts besides Magician's Quest for the DS? I'm kind of shocked there haven't been more.

BGBW

Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I've been in the discord for so long but I didn't notice the thread on Era.

Phife Dawg

Oct 27, 2017
Just jumped in to congratulate the amazing OT title. Looking forward to what the Switch version will have one offer, hoping for a 2018 release to benefit from the mobile hype.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
I love AC but I kind of wish someone would just make a better one. Seems like a perfect like mini social media game but it's so awkward due to Nintendo. Although I'm sure if someone else did it the game would lose it's all that Nintendo charm.

There's a reason why there's a bump in sales for Animal Crossing: New Leaf.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017

I don't think you can make better, the core gameplay is basically to grind the world to trade it for stuff and that is not very appealing, it's precisely that Nintendo charm in the animals and their interactions with you and Nintendo's "hey take a break once in a while" policy that make it so enjoyable to play, otherwise it would be like any of those Facebook games.

Fritz

Oct 26, 2017
taking the opportunity to chime in and say that I think AC is probably the most compelling video game package ever created. I had sunk hours into Animal Crossing on Gamecube and played New Leaf every day for years. I'll return with the Switch Edition for sure.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Very well, actually.

My second daughter was born earlier this month. Here name is Fiorella. I messaged you a couple of times on Steam but you never got back to me. I figured you were busy. I messaged Classic on Reddit but she rarely goes there.
Sorry I missed your messages! I'll go back and check for them.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I don't think you can make better, the core gameplay is basically to grind the world to trade it for stuff and that is not very appealing, it's precisely that Nintendo charm in the animals and their interactions with you and Nintendo's "hey take a break once in a while" policy that make it so enjoyable to play, otherwise it would be like any of those Facebook games.
What, I disagree. There's huge opportunities to improve on the foundation. Neighbor interaction and AI is borderline joke worthy. Just that alone could be elevated.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
What, I disagree. There's huge opportunities to improve on the foundation. Neighbor interaction and AI is borderline joke worthy. Just that alone could be elevated.

Ok I admit that saying *nothing* can be improved is exaggeration, after all we didn't know we needed to stack fruit until it happened :P, but why do you want more complex AI in Animal Crossing? The writing is what makes the interactions entertaining.

rock

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
How do i delete unsellable items in New Leaf? Trying to clear up some stuff i pack ratted that doesn't look visually appealing at all! (pikmon hats...)

P-MAC

Nov 15, 2017
Animals Crossing is a comfortable warm place for me, no interest in the phone game though. Can't wait to get lost in a proper switch one.

Piggus

Oct 27, 2017
Oregon
Just like New Leaf, Pocket Camp has sucked me in after a short period of not really understanding what the hype was about. Definitely a reminder of why this is perhaps my favorite Nintendo franchise. Man, I can't wait for what they come up with for Switch.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
Just like New Leaf, Pocket Camp has sucked me in after a short period of not really understanding what the hype was about. Definitely a reminder of why this is perhaps my favorite Nintendo franchise. Man, I can't wait for what they come up with for Switch.

I don't think they know how fast an AC Switch will sell.

perfectchaos007

It's Happening
Oct 25, 2017
Texas
Man I just can't get into Pocket Camp. I've tried. I don't know why it hasn't sucked me in like the main games. I think in the back of my mind I don't want to go through with all of the grinding knowing that the Switch will inevitably get a mainline AC game. Even knowing there is a potential of crossover with Pocket Camp and AC Switch, I just can't get into it.

Cheddahz

Oct 25, 2017
i've been playing so much new leaf lately and this is the first time i've actually dedicated myself to providing for the town rather than myself. i think this route has definitely made the game much more enjoyable for me

Niraj

Oct 25, 2017
It's crazy it's been so long...

weemadarthur I think it would help if you mentioned in the OP in regards to the Discord server that people need to mention their ResetERA/NeoGAF username if applicable, either in the chat or via PM. Seems to be a common point of confusion. I guess people are unable to see the pinned message in #general since the message history is blocked for people without a role.