• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
A lot will come back, but there'll be a dedicated thread series lol. This one has been a kind of placeholder for the old New Leaf thread crew.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Don't forget to grab the zodiac boar tomorrow if you play legit. This will be the 6th zodiac statue of the 12 needed if you have each year's, 7th if you started with the Japanese launch.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Got muh zodiac boar! Six down, six to go.

UlukRWN.png
UoNK3vB.png

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Oh no! I forgot to get the zodiac animal!

In other news, I JUST finished this monstrosity:

129BZlO.jpg

I still am finishing up his scarf, but figured I'd take a quick break to share to y'all. This is a present for my partner who already loves it dearly. (needless to say Pietro is perhaps the best neighbor...)

It started as a project early last year, but then I took a break until my winter break at work. Spent the entire break working on it, wrestling with it, and figuring out countless problems of construction.

Last edited:

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
AC Switch better release this year!

I'm enjoying Pocket Camp as it is, and I almost wanna go back to NL again but I'm not touching my 3DS anymore. Honestly wish they could just make a holdover port on Switch for the time being :s

Oct 27, 2017
OK, big ask here.
I started up AC:NL after not touching it for year+. I had messed with CFW in the past for region free so I went through 3DS.guide to get rid of the bootup/interim steps and now my save data is not working.
Has anyone messed with hacking save files/backups? I've found some fixes online but I'm stuck trying to export my existing save file. The ACNL backup doesn't see anything and I can't get any manual save game manager to work at all.
If anyone has any experience, links... Everything I'm finding online is old so I don't know what's up to date, archived forums/tools so can't troubleshoot them directly. PM would be fine to keep the thread clean.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I think the belltree forum lasted longer than gamefaqs, but i wouldn't rely on turnip trading being easy.

Zor

Oct 30, 2017
So I've been playing some original GameCube Animal Crossing over the last week and really enjoying it. It's my first experience with the franchise and I thought, given my typical gaming OCD which never allows me to just go for the most recent entry, that I'd start at the beginning and going through all of them (up to Happy Home and Pocket Camp).

I've paid off my house, started paying for the extension (88,000 Bells to go!), own a shovel, net, and fishing rod, and have been donating fossils, bugs, and fish to the museum (albeit no works of art yet), and currently have 9 villagers that I've been doing the odd job for.

My question is... what am I meant to be doing? Heh... let me explain. I know there's nothing necessarily to "beat" in Animal Crossing but I was wondering if there were particular milestones I should work towards fulfilling before calling time and moving onto the DS game. Is it best to pay off the second debt and try to fill the museum up as much as possible beforehand? I'm not necessarily in any rush, just interested in setting goals you know?

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I would say after participating in all events you sound interested in, you're good. Sports Fair in particular is great.

Rex_DX

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Boston, MA, United States
So I've been playing some original GameCube Animal Crossing over the last week and really enjoying it. It's my first experience with the franchise and I thought, given my typical gaming OCD which never allows me to just go for the most recent entry, that I'd start at the beginning and going through all of them (up to Happy Home and Pocket Camp).

I've paid off my house, started paying for the extension (88,000 Bells to go!), own a shovel, net, and fishing rod, and have been donating fossils, bugs, and fish to the museum (albeit no works of art yet), and currently have 9 villagers that I've been doing the odd job for.

My question is... what am I meant to be doing? Heh... let me explain. I know there's nothing necessarily to "beat" in Animal Crossing but I was wondering if there were particular milestones I should work towards fulfilling before calling time and moving onto the DS game. Is it best to pay off the second debt and try to fill the museum up as much as possible beforehand? I'm not necessarily in any rush, just interested in setting goals you know?

Not sure you know, but there is much more than one house expansion ... I won't spoil the final house for you.

Likewise Nook's Store has four tiers of upgrades you access by spending set amounts of money at the previous version. Final one has two floors and an escalator.

Other than that, check out the playable NES games you can acquire, make some money on the turnip market etc.

Woylie

May 9, 2018
Considering redownloading AC Pocket Camp after the recent update as the design classroom thing reminded me of Happy Home Designer which i loved. Is it at all like that?

Also, since I haven't played since launch... any other cool stuff added?

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
For Pocket Camp, they've added an indoor room you can keep. A lot of QoL improvements. There hasn't been any down time for special events in many months. Lots of new characters were added.
I didn't play Happy Home Designer so I can't say if the PC minigame is similar, but you get to do 3 rooms a day, and I guess there's no reason NOT to try it if you think you may like it?

Genesius

Nov 2, 2018

I consider an Animal Crossing "beaten" when I've filled out the museum, upgraded the house and stores to their fullest extent, and done all the unique holidays. The original was the one I lost my life to for over a year when it first came out; I also wanted to fill out the catalog. I haven't put that much time into one since then, though I'd suggest just moving over to the 3DS version when done with Gamecube. My daughter is currently obsessed with it.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
Considering redownloading AC Pocket Camp after the recent update as the design classroom thing reminded me of Happy Home Designer which i loved. Is it at all like that?

Also, since I haven't played since launch... any other cool stuff added?
Yay, another HHD fan! There are dozens of us, dozens!

Sadly, the Happy Homeroom feature is severely lacking and doesn't really encourage creativity. The way it works is most of the furniture is already placed, and you just have to fill in the missing furniture (which you must have already crafted). You get ranked based on which furniture you choose, but there's essentially just one correct answer and you don't even get to rearrange furniture. It's disappointing because the one thing HHD was missing was some sort of ranking system to make it feel more like a game, but Happy Homeroom is just too restrictive.

I also actually only played a few days at launch and then dropped it until the first anniversary back in November, when I came back to scratch that Animal Crossing itch. I've found it to be generally relaxing and less involving than other mobile games. When there are no events, there isn't much pressure to play and I don't feel like I'm missing anything by not playing.

However, nowadays there are three week-long or so "events" each month that pretty much require you to log in multiple times per day to get all of the event items. The Gyroid event is the easiest; you just go around the map picking up gyroids, and they respawn pretty frequently throughout the day. Fishing is a bit more involving. Every three hours 7 tourney fish will show up, and to get all of the event items you'll have to do at least 5 or 6 cycles a day. It only takes a minute or two to catch the fish, though. Gardening is perhaps the most frustrating, especially if you don't add a lot of active in-game friends. You have to plant flowers every three hours, and once the flowers bloom there's a chance a "creature" will appear on the flower. You then have to catch the creatures, which is also RNG dependent. It's probably the most annoying of the events, just because the spawn and catch rates can be abysmal. But if you have lots of in-game friends it's not so bad.

There are also fortune cookies now, not unlike the fortune cookies in New Leaf. They're basically loot boxes, with the rarest items having only a 3-5% chance of appearing. Each fortune cookie costs 50 Leaf Tickets to purchase (which is about 2 USD, blech). You'll probably get enough LT from logging in and events to purchase 1 or 2 fortune cookies a month, and there's a rare chance each day that you can purchase them for 5,000 Bells. But, honestly, just ignore them even though some of the items can be amazing.

And if there's one thing Pocket Camp does absolutely right, it's the new items. I remember playing New Leaf and being disappointed that my animals wouldn't use the Public Works Projects. One of the things that I loved about HHD was that they added more interactive items, and with PC they've really taken that to another level. There are tons of new animations that really make your camp feel alive.

I'm sorry, but this is quite possibly the most adorable thing ever:

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
Question time: If I expand my house and let Tom Nook build another room, what happens to items hanging on the part of the wall where the hallway will be? I assume in most cases the items will just get moved to the next free, adjacent spaces. In my case there is no free space, though, since the walls are cluttered with shirts. Talking about New Leaf btw.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
The walls move, the furniture stays. They all crowd into the middle in a sad and ridiculous way. The items hanging on walls stay on the wall.

scamander

Oct 27, 2017
The walls move, the furniture stays. They all crowd into the middle in a sad and ridiculous way. The items hanging on walls stay on the wall.

Thanks for the fast reply, but you misunderstood my question. :) I'm wondering about what happens to the items of the main room, that are hanging exactly where a hallway will be, when you add another room. The wall the items were hanging on will be gone, so what happens to the items?

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember. I'm not sure if it moves them or makes you take them down before you can add a room. They don't get lost though.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yes! I saw some fans hating on the necessity of crafting to make furniture, but I'm for it.

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I don't understand why you would be not pleased with the crafting, New Leaf had not much to do after a while and just buying furniture wasn't that exciting either, having to work for it is nice, like an extra goal.

Clefargle

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Limburg
NH looks amazing and more crafting is welcome

And I'm ecstatic that Isabelle is nowhere to be seen! Now I can put shit where I want without someone whinging

Oct 25, 2017
My OG town in New Leaf didn't survive a system transfer to my New 3DS XL, but this was in that system's launch year.

Still not over it.

Any peeps interested in a re-start or a continuation due to this week's news of the release being pushed back?

I could do with a do-over.

Marvie

Oct 25, 2017
My OG town in New Leaf didn't survive a system transfer to my New 3DS XL, but this was in that system's launch year.

Still not over it.

Any peeps interested in a re-start or a continuation due to this week's news of the release being pushed back?

I could do with a do-over.
I really want to but I dont have a 3DS anymore. :(

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
As of tomorrow, there will be as many days until release as there were between the teaser and the E3 reveal.

mantidor

Oct 25, 2017
Yes! I saw some fans hating on the necessity of crafting to make furniture, but I'm for it.

I don't think crafting is mandatory, I'm sure you can still buy furniture, you can in Pocket Camp even if it's very limited. If anything is worse to have 3 pieces of furniture each day and having to wait over and over for them to cycle.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I'm ok with crafting honestly.

The only thing I would be afraid of is microtransactions sneaking in, but that is basically impossible, right?
Yeah, not the crafting, but just the general philosophy and focus of PC. It felt devoid of the joy that cam from just wandering the town. And I even feel it's already done that by making the island a blank slate.

Raccoon

May 31, 2019
Yeah, not the crafting, but just the general philosophy and focus of PC. It felt devoid of the joy that cam from just wandering the town. And I even feel it's already done that by making the island a blank slate.
Personally, I think I'm okay with this. New Leaf already killed the charm of the older games, but it didn't fully commit to the new core design of the game. Now with New Horizons it feels like one can play the original GameCube game and New Horizons and get two distinct, complementary experiences.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Ah, okay. Separately, I think there ought to be a dedicated speculation and discussion thread prerelease, but I don't know if there's enough info / interest yet.
Oh, an OT cannot be POSTED until the week of release. But claiming the right to make one? Can be done anytime during the next 6 months.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Very tempting depending on various features within the game to warrant LAN-esque play.