• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017

I honestly don't want AC to look like that on the Switch. New Leaf on the 3ds was the first noticable improvement in graphics for AC. Pocket Camp is visually nice just to see super smooth, HD Animal Crossing that isn't Amiibo Festival. I really liked the lighting in AC Plaza on the WiiU. I hope AC on the Switch changes the aesthetic a bit to have some nice textures and realistic-ish lighting.

Chea996

Nov 4, 2017
Milan - Italy
I honestly don't want AC to look like that on the Switch. New Leaf on the 3ds was the first noticable improvement in graphics for AC. Pocket Camp is visually nice just to see super smooth, HD Animal Crossing that isn't Amiibo Festival. I really liked the lighting in AC Plaza on the WiiU. I hope AC on the Switch changes the aesthetic a bit to have some nice textures and realistic-ish lighting.
I would love for it to look like the Mario Kart track. It's amazing.
CAWU0004_s5.jpg

Mario-Kart-8-Animal-Crossing-DLC-Pack-16.jpg

Last edited:

Nick Nehidnyk

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I would love for it to look like the Mario Kart track. It's amazing.
CAWU0004_s5.jpg

Mario-Kart-8-Animal-Crossing-DLC-Pack-16.jpg
Okay, so collision detection might be an issue, but I still maintain that, should EPD decide to go that route, the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe engine would be excellent for Animal Crossing. As has been widely discussed, HD villager character models have existed for a while for the Animal Crossing Plaza app. However, they aren't very high quality overall. You know what other game has shit geometry but looks phenomenal? Mario Kart 8. It would be a crazy departure, but leveraging that lighting system is, in my opinion, the way to go to provide an appealing fully 3D environment for Animal Crossing.
Although, I'd honestly be okay with anything that isn't another rolling log effect. The GameCube version is the best Animal Crossing to date visually due to its superior style.

Antony

Oct 25, 2017
PlayStation Home
Yeah Nintendo are generally excellent with textures (really noticeably so from Nintendo Land onwards) and I can't think of a game that could be elevated higher by their usage than Animal Crossing.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What kind of time investment am I looking at if I pick up a copy of New Leaf just to unlock and play Puzzle League? I have a Lottie Amiibo if that helps. Just trying to figure out the easiest path to getting the game to unlock. And I guess I also want to know if its doable to just play Puzzle League once it is unlocked without doing anything else in the town?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
What kind of time investment am I looking at if I pick up a copy of New Leaf just to unlock and play Puzzle League? I have a Lottie Amiibo if that helps. Just trying to figure out the easiest path to getting the game to unlock. And I guess I also want to know if its doable to just play Puzzle League once it is unlocked without doing anything else in the town?

It won't take that long. You might need to become mayor to see the lamp with Wisp in, but I can't remember now. Even if you do, that only takes a few minutes each day for a few days. The Lottie amiibo will definitely help, as when you find Wisp you can just scan Lottie and buy the 3DS XL from her camper.

Lord Brady

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
It won't take that long. You might need to become mayor to see the lamp with Wisp in, but I can't remember now. Even if you do, that only takes a few minutes each day for a few days. The Lottie amiibo will definitely help, as when you find Wisp you can just scan Lottie and buy the 3DS XL from her camper.
Thank you!

Deathbysound

Oct 27, 2017
Rumour: The Animal Crossing Site Is Undergoing Massive Overhaul Possibly Pointing To New Game
Nintendo is busy revamping the Animal Crossing site and it has been heavily edited and added to with new placeholders for News and Videos pages. As a result, the site has lots of placeholders which is leading to speculation that it's for a new game in the franchise.

Leak Review@LeakReview
LEAK REVIEW 05:

Welp, looks like Nintendo still can't keep a secret. Yikes. The official website for Animal Crossing is undergoing a massive overhaul, and is currently left in an awkward placeholder-filled state; very, very likely pointing to a new game. #AnimalCrossing (THREAD)

Last edited:

Chea996

Nov 4, 2017
Milan - Italy
Okay, so collision detection might be an issue, but I still maintain that, should EPD decide to go that route, the Mario Kart 8 Deluxe engine would be excellent for Animal Crossing. As has been widely discussed, HD villager character models have existed for a while for the Animal Crossing Plaza app. However, they aren't very high quality overall. You know what other game has shit geometry but looks phenomenal? Mario Kart 8. It would be a crazy departure, but leveraging that lighting system is, in my opinion, the way to go to provide an appealing fully 3D environment for Animal Crossing.
Although, I'd honestly be okay with anything that isn't another rolling log effect. The GameCube version is the best Animal Crossing to date visually due to its superior style.

I totally agree with you when you say that Animal Crossing Plaza's models aren't very high quality at all. I totally think they can make characters look a lot better.
Plus, I think your unpopular opinion is not unpopular at all, the rolling log effect has run its course and it's time for a big improvement on the camera side.

I do hope this means something, but I'm not so sure about that. I'm expecting a Pokémon Direct next, not a general Direct in which they can reveal AC.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
First time Animal Crossing player here. I've been playing Wild World for about two weeks now, and I have a question about my debts: Does anyone know what happens if I don't pay back my mortgage? Are there any repercussions besides not getting a bigger home?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
That is literally the only repercussion. You could go without ever paying back a single bell if you are happy living in a shack.

But really, the top level upgrade is so worth it. The amount of space you get is awesome.

plngsplsh

Oct 28, 2017
Cool, so paying my debts actually means buying a bigger house. Thank you for your answer. Let's see if I will ever reach that final upgrade - I am already considering to abandon Wild World for New Leaf.

Inquisitive_Ghost

Cranky Ghost Pokemon
Oct 26, 2017
I am finding myself really itching to start a new town lately. But spending hundreds of hours in a game of this style that I've already played is so not worth it.

Basically I want Nintendo to announce a new AC sooner rather than later.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
With the news today of Nintendo Online launching in September, requiring you to pay to play games online for the first time on a Nintendo system, how many of you will pay to play Animal Crossing if you have to?

I'm hoping the game is exempt from the fee (they have said special cases will be exempt) otherwise I think this is going to damage the communities for this game.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't really know if most animal crossing players think multiplayer is essential to enjoying the games. It's not for me and if it was just animal crossing I probably wouldn't pay.
I still feel like Animal Crossing is popular enough that the online sub won't hurt it too much

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Oh I don't think it will affects sales and popularity of the game at all.

Just things like this forum where we go "Oh I have this thing, anyone want to come over and grab it?". Now the first question will be "Do you have Nintendo Online?". Basically everyone has wifi, and the 3DS made it super easy for us all to just pop over to someone's town for 30 seconds to grab something.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah I see what you mean.
I guess it would suck if that were the case but maybe trading items will be something everyone could do, like there is a marketplace that connect online for everyone but you need online to visit other towns.
Even if it does need online I think it'll be easy enough to get what you want, I guess it'll mostly affect people without it

MicH

Oct 25, 2017
I hope am eventual AC is exempt but if it isn't then I'll definitely get the subscription. Online play is essential to AC for me.

Koo

Dec 10, 2017
Animal Crossing would be about the only thing that would make me sign up for the online subscription as I don't play console games online except for the AC series.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. I cancelled a number of group events due to that one person refusing to follow the rules, and just started over with the people who would be respectful.

Deleted member 26535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Scorpion season!

I am playing since the launch and I am feeling that THIS time I will catch the scorpion!!!! (please ;_; )

h8bit

Oct 26, 2017
Brooklyn, NY
Not sure if this is cool to post or not but I just wanted to share this patreon that is dedicated to translating the japanese release of Doubtsu no Mori e+

This version of the original game was translated from english back into japanese after the treehouse team did such a fantastic job bringing it overseas. The e+ release in japan has numerous changes and additions that weren't included in the version we got stateside. Some of those include the ability to buy and place "Town Decorations" (think Town Ordinance Projects from New Leaf), new characters/bugs/fish, going to the island without a GBA and my personal favorite: being able to hit Tom Nook's door with your shovel causing him to wake up and let you buy stuff with the prices jacked up for annoying him!

Anyway, I've always wanted to play this release and I think it's incredibly cool that someone is out there putting in the effort to make it happen. You can find a whole list of differences between the e+/non e+ versions here.

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I cut down 2/3 of trees and all my flowes, still no sign of the scorpion yet. =/

Five years and counting... ;_;

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone up for perfect fruit trading? I have tons of perfect cherries and would trade for the other fruit to stockpile for the offchance of a daily bonus from the shops...

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
I haven't checked out AnimalCrossingCommunity website since the new AC got the teaser. I wonder what that place is like, haha.

Oh... it's turned into a privacy nightmare. It was always family friendly, but something must have happened because now there's all sort of TOS and updated privacy policies. hmmmm

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
The new announcement made me began playing New Leaf again, last time I did I wasn't all that far with still the first home but this time I'm in. The game's as relaxing as ever.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Since the direct I've been playing pocket camp again. It's still a really solid little game every if it's obviously not a full AC game.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah I've been playing New Leaf again. The lies of the activity log has me all sorts of fucked. The loading screens don't count for Phineas playtime, but being launched in the game period counts for activity log. Still waiting for that 500 hr badge even though I have WAY more than 500 logged via activity log in 3DS OS

Also the birthday wishes from neighbors are always so heartfelt.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I haven't checked out AnimalCrossingCommunity website since the new AC got the teaser. I wonder what that place is like, haha.

Oh... it's turned into a privacy nightmare. It was always family friendly, but something must have happened because now there's all sort of TOS and updated privacy policies. hmmmm
Honestly probably just GDPR stuff.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
I started playing Pocket Camp and have in a week collected 1/3 of the clothes, all possible fish and bugs, and lots of furniture, plus doing fine on expansions of camper and camp.

.....I need moar!!

Oct 27, 2017
Ireland
I'm replaying ACNL since I lost my save data. Still an enjoyable game, though I probably won't buy the switch version, since I don't own a switch.

Gio

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manila
Honestly I'm most looking forward to playing the new Animal Crossing with other people. Like sharing fruits and leaving messages and all that. Gives me the warm and fuzzies.

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Wow. I just learned about Weeding Day and the items tied to that. I've had Beautiful ordinance since launch... now this all seems impossible to get since you only get 1 item per year. WTF.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Wow. I just learned about Weeding Day and the items tied to that. I've had Beautiful ordinance since launch... now this all seems impossible to get since you only get 1 item per year. WTF.
Have friends who time travel and you can get a few pieces of furniture per day they let you do the weeding.

Or just, trade for cheated items. Sometimes it's just.so.bad. To get things the non cheating way.

Deleted member 26535

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Well, 5 years later and I still could not catch the scorpion.

I catched a couple of them in Wild World; catched in my first try in City Folk; but nothing in New Leaf. I think that I will catch one in the Switch version before I catch on in 3DS. It is a question of honor now!

Stopdoor

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
I picked up New Leaf at the end of last month, to catch up with Animal Crossing after jumping off with City Folk.

It's nice and all, but I'm not entirely sold by people saying it's the definitive Animal Crossing experience - the whole "Main Street" idea seems like a straight up pain - having to go all the way up there to assess fossils or donate island items? And I don't fully understand the point of Re-tail vs. the Nook store, other than providing a closer place to sell.

Seems like I also made the mistake of accepting a bad town layout - literally all my villagers and important locations are on the top right of town, and the entire section of town bordering ocean is desolate.

At least I'm getting another bridge built, but being older and not so fresh to Animal Crossing has me less enthused about the constant grind of all these public works projects and stuff. Though, I am looking at it from a perspective of just dipping my toes in a bit with this game, more to catch up before the Switch one. I'd be a bit more friendly to the slow pace with a new game, I think. But I still hope they do whatever they can to make progression more... exciting? Dynamic? Less grindy? I'm sure it's possible somehow.

OP
OP
weemadarthur

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That doesn't sound like a BAD layout. What are you wanting to get out of your town? Remember you'll need places for projects once they are unlocked.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
I hope all the familar faces come back for Animal Crossing 2019. I miss playing the game with y'all, we would have so many town visits and sharing of things. Golden times.