• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
Which are usually $20 or so and come with a good amount of content for the price. There's rarely any "Day 1" DLC either, as the expansions usually start development AFTER the base game is completed. Nintendo is still good with DLC, don't see why their method of doing it is bad when the worst its gotten was overpriced Fire Emblem DLC.
Most other companies allow the consumer to buy each piece of DLC separately. The issue with Nintendo is that they often don't. It's season pass or nothing.

Worldshaker

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
Uninstalled. I didn't play it much anyways.

Nintendo is really tarnishing their IPs with this scummy practice. I hope it doesn't bleed into their main games, but I'm sure it will eventually.

Asbsand

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Denmark
Why? What reason would there be to raise the price? I'll worry about it when it happens, but there's no reason to go doomsday on us just yet.
The reason being money, and the fact that the rest of the industry moved in that way. Also Furukawa. We still don't know how he is going to shape the company for another generation.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Most other companies allow the consumer to buy each piece of DLC separately. The issue with Nintendo is that they often don't. It's season pass or nothing.

Fair point, allthough Smash Bros. lets you buy the packs seperately. Still, the DLC you usually get isn't bad or lackluster.

The reason being money, and the fact that the rest of the industry moved in that way.

The rest of the industry, except for the Platform holders, who tend to stick to more conventional DLC prices and strategies. Nothing about Nintendo's mobile games suggest this will be the norm for their main games.

Also Furukawa. We still don't know how he is going to shape the company for another generation.

Didn't he say, he will keep Nintendo the way its always been?

StraySheep

Oct 26, 2017
I hate all of the mobile "gamers" who refuse to pay upfront for a game/app which led to this. This is so shitty.

shoyz

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Still can't believe they added loot boxes to Animal Crossing. Pocket Camp is mobile Nintendo at their ugliest. And for it to proceed the relatively underwhelming Home Designer and the immensely disappointing Amiibo Festival, Pocket Camp managed to destroy all the enthusiasm I had for what I used to consider my favorite console game.

The early butterfly events were exhausting as well. How they retained any players at all is beyond me.

Eumi

Nov 3, 2017
I hate all of the mobile "gamers" who refuse to pay upfront for a game/app which led to this. This is so shitty.
Blaming the consumers for the shitty and exploitative practices of a company is honestly a new one to me, which is surprisingly considering the amount of corporate apologism we see on this site.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus
Blaming the consumers for the shitty and exploitative practices of a company is honestly a new one to me, which is surprisingly considering the amount of corporate apologism we see on this site.

It's a mix of both really. The nature of the mobile consumers, and companies not coming up with a way to monetize their games that isn't exploitative.

Oct 30, 2017
I don't play it anymore so I can't be mad about this. I stuck around for a year but the constant fishing and butterfly events exhausted me so I quit. It's not like the game was much fun to play but it was fine for 15-30 minutes a day.

In Mario Kart Tour the currency is so overpriced that the pass seems like a good deal. Probably intentionally.
As for Dr. Mario, the cost per pull is a ridiculous $3-$4 and you have a tiny chance of getting something useful. I'm surprised they haven't introduced a pass for it.

cw_sasuke

Oct 27, 2017
So nobody's going to bother to explain why subscription models are bad now?
People live complaining about games they dont play or subscriptions they aren't the target audience for anyway.

I think core players that are willing to pay get more these subscription than they would from depending on lucky through gacha systems.

No one bats an eye for similar system on Apex or Fortnite....the second you aren't interested in the game a similar setup is being described as some devilish move when it's just about consolidating the paid aspect for most normal users who are willing to pay.

I've played all Nintendo mobile games forms while and in none of them i felt like I had to pay money to advance.....but there are people willing to pay up to get even more content and they are the target for these subs.

They have to generate income to keep mobile projects going and these subs are usually are the better deal for "serious" players.

Dark Ninja

Oct 27, 2017
They aren't wrong though they tried to sell games the regular way everyone laughed at the price being too high for mobile and it failed for a mobile game. These are all free to play games now and they are monetizing them how it works for a majority of the games on that market.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
This isn't surprising it happened as disappointing as it is. Pocket Camp seems like a game struggling to keep an active audience so it makes sense they try something new. (Also stay tuned as they will definitely try something with Dr. Mario given how that game is flopping.)

I've spent a lot of time on Tour, and Gold Pass is by far the most bang for your buck of what can be purchased in that game that I'd think it was intentional to push players towards that business model. The gacha prices are ridiculous vs. what you get out of them, so players embracing the subscription isn't a surprise. Too bad they're piling on so many different business models, it looks sloppy and exploitative of vulnerable people.

It feels like it comes down to Nintendo still not getting the mobile market. After Mario Run's reception for them it must've felt like a cold shower, since they found out their IP don't demand the same premium value from mobile users that console users see in it. I can't imagine they try things like this on console though because of the danger of harming the strong reputation and renowned quality their premium software is known for. That's what is the strongest selling point of their entire console business.

Last edited:

Kouriozan

Oct 25, 2017
When I played the first few months they weren't this aggressive with the MTX, then came fortune cookies and I knew where this was headed so I uninstalled. Not surprised they're pushing this too.
If I want a new Animal Crossing experience I'll just wait 4 months.

TiamatSword

Chicken Chaser
Oct 25, 2017
I'm just asking why this is a bad thing. I'd like to have an answer before I make an opinion. So what exactly does the Subscription in Tour do then?
It gives you a couple more items/premium currency in the gift boxes you get from earning stars in races and gives you 9 more challenges that earn you additional stars. It doesn't bypass the loot box/ gacha system at all.

Inugami

Oct 25, 2017
Rest in peace Iwata... A shame that current Nintendo leadership refuses to live up to one of your last wishes of not taking advantage of gacha and there other awful mobile practices.

It really is a shame since the console side is doing so much right by comparison.

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Kart Tour has a good subscription service so normally I wouldn't pass judgement on this until I see it. Unfortunately, Pocket Camp is a fucking terrible game regardless, so I don't need to wait that long.

It gives you a couple more items/premium currency in the gift boxes you get from earning stars in races and gives you 9 more challenges that earn you additional stars. It doesn't bypass the loot box/ gacha system at all.

I pay for the MKT pass and it absolutely bypasses the gacha system. I've never had trouble getting to the end of a tour and unlocking all the gifts and I've stayed in the top 3 spots in every weekly ranking purely off what I get from the pass. I'm not sure how a Pocket Camp pass could be equivalent to that, but one of them does say it gives you fortune cookies (aka lootboxes) and I assume the camp caretaker assists you with doing events.

Zombine

Oct 25, 2017
In a world where Apple Arcade exists and Animal Crossing proper is coming out on the Switch in March, this needs to be deleted and forgotten about by everyone.

Mickagau

Dec 11, 2018
France
I think it could be. It's an odd date that's prime to be announced ahead of time
That's unlikely since they tend to never mix mobile and Switch announcements. Or maybe if some kind of connectivity between PC and NH was introduced. But I would be very surprised and if it was a AC focused Direct, it would be announced anyway.

KernelC

alt account
Banned
Aug 28, 2019
And the subscription service let's you by-pass that process alltogether. Like in Mario Kart Tour. How is that a bad thing that a subscription option exists?
seeing comments like this makes me sad, they've already won if people are defending this shit. The audience is already used to being milked like cows

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
And this is why I keep saying that people who praise Nintendo for their consumer friendly DLC are just gullible. Nintendo is always purposefully behind the curve or actually struggling to play catchup with the rest of the industry, business-wise. We've already seen how it went from great DLCs first to how now all their major releases seem to have "Expansion Pass" and I really think Nintendo is just doing the good old "squeeze milk out one tap at a time." thing. They're no more consumer-friendly than when Sony introduced an extremely generous "PlayStation Plus" model in the PS3 days and purposefully made it more expensive and a paid requirement for online come PS4.

But they're still somewhat "blue ocean". It just seems recently they've squeezed the arm a bit harder. The Game Vouchers aren't a ripoff but you can't deny it's an expensive deal to make in a sense, and that I feel is a relatively new sign of Nintendo with $$$ in their eyes. I would argue in the Wii/DS era their $$$ just came to them with the sheer success of the hardware and its pitch. Recent initiatives seem more obviously like a "We want your money" sign.

Mobile happened and took away a good chunk of their market.

Iwata was a bit naive about the impacts of phone gaming. Wii/DS were magical, but we're past the days where cooking books sold over 1 million copies on their hardware in Japan alone.

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Could be pretty nice if it means the gacha elements are toned down. Hard to say much about it without knowing price and what exactly it does

Sep 25, 2018
In theory a subscription would be a more acceptable way to monetize a mobile game. That's why used Tour as an example. You'd think it'd be preferable to micro-transactions.

I was never really outright defending this decision. At the begining, I asked

Because I wanted somebody to explain why this was a problem. But people still have yet to explain why this is a bad thing.

its Nintendo they don't always know why they hate the way they do things

DarkSora

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017
get-out-no-no-no-no-no-no-no.gif
Random, but I finally saw this movie on a flight to China and it's incredible, lol.

Sep 25, 2018
And this is why I keep saying that people who praise Nintendo for their consumer friendly DLC are just gullible. Nintendo is always purposefully behind the curve or actually struggling to play catchup with the rest of the industry, business-wise. We've already seen how it went from great DLCs first to how now all their major releases seem to have "Expansion Pass" and I really think Nintendo is just doing the good old "squeeze milk out one tap at a time." thing. They're no more consumer-friendly than when Sony introduced an extremely generous "PlayStation Plus" model in the PS3 days and purposefully made it more expensive and a paid requirement for online come PS4.

But they're still somewhat "blue ocean". It just seems recently they've squeezed the arm a bit harder. The Game Vouchers aren't a ripoff but you can't deny it's an expensive deal to make in a sense, and that I feel is a relatively new sign of Nintendo with $$$ in their eyes. I would argue in the Wii/DS era their $$$ just came to them with the sheer success of the hardware and its pitch. Recent initiatives seem more obviously like a "We want your money" sign.

dude what did nintendo do to you?

and your wrong about Nintendo Vouchers it saved everyone 20 dollars and force amazon and Walmart to price match Nintendo games bringing them down to 50 dollars the same you would pay with Nintendo vouchers

like The people on here said the way Nintendo did Mario kart tour seems to be a better idea than what other companies doing you pay one price for a month and get a lot of cool stuff instead of paying over and over to get more items or whatever which will end up costing more than the one subscription fee

i don't know where you get the ideas of Nintendo screwing over others but their prices for items in games are much better than other games it's like the people who help create Dragalia they said Nintendo could make way more money by charging what other mobile games do but they do not

but yet you want to put them in same evil light as other companies all I can do is shake my head

shinken

Oct 27, 2017
Not sure why people are surprised about a mobile gaming having mtx. Whether they are subscriptions, lootboxes or what have you. That's how a lot of mobile gamers like to spend their money in mobile games. The market has spoken and Nintendo is following that market trend with their mobile games.
Nintendo has been against mobile games for the longest time, but people keep saying how they should not make their own hardware and go full third party and/or go mobile.
They still make traditional console games and these mobile games are still f2p and do not require you to buy or subscribe to anything. Vote with your wallet. But a lot of mobile gamers already voted with their wallets and they "like" mtx in mobile games opposed to a single entry fee.
Now they have gone partly mobile and tried to sell a game by letting people pay a single fee upfront. It didn't work out. And now we are here.

Oct 27, 2017
Whoever was asking how Nintendo will deal with Cloud and Streaming I think you got your answer 😂
I don't think these really aren't related at all. I get the impression Nintendo's mobile efforts are largely to satiate investors who want them to push into the mobile space and that includes all the scummy practices that entails

Sep 25, 2018

it do not but it makes players who like loot boxes do not need the loot box so they save money

and that's Nintendo point with subscription to give parents and people who spend a lot another way to enjoy the games getting more items spending less

Sep 25, 2018
seeing comments like this makes me sad, they've already won if people are defending this shit. The audience is already used to being milked like cows

you missing his point, these micro transactions and subscriptions are for the hardcore type players, if you not one of them then these practices will Always get a bias response from you

what the guy was saying with the subscription it saves the user or parents money if they kids play the game all the time by still giving them cool stuff they would not normally get and the best part why it saves parents money they don't have to keep paying over and over to get items, the subscription is one time fee look at it like this some people pay 100 dollars a month with subscription they now pay 5 a month

i get it no one should be paying but I'm not blind to positives that Nintendo trying to do which is make people spend less and the subscription will stop or lower parents spending a month

if you can't see that one benefit your response will always be bias then

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
I think a better idea would be to consolidate all of the subscriptions into a Nintendo mobile pass that would give you benefits in all of the Nintendo mobile games for $5 a month. I think that would be a lot more palatable than each game having its own separate subscription.

I'm really curious what the benefits are. Camp caretaker sounds like maybe you'll automatically gets fruits/bugs/fish, and perhaps requests will be done automatically? It'd be nice if it also gave you extra creatures/fish/gyroids during the events as well.

Warehouses are more perplexing since the game already gives you tons of space. Maybe they meant you can display furniture in the warehouses? That's actually been one of my most requested features. The game constantly has lots of cool new furniture, but there's barely any space to show it off. And the fortune cookie mention makes me hope the pass will give you 2 guaranteed premium cookies a day.

karby

Oct 27, 2017
This had best not hold any sway over New Horizons. Keep this trash millions of miles away from my mainline Animal Crossing. Nothing that even resembles it. Nothing that can be carried over or transferred.

NOTHING!

The developers made it a point very early on to say that New Horizons and Pocket Camp will have nothing to do with each other outside of a few 'collaboration items' in each game. I'm hoping they stick to that.

EdgeXL

Oct 27, 2017
California
Huh. Maybe the MKT subscription is actually generating decent revenue? Nintendo's mobile practices are shameful. Feels uncharacteristically dirty for Nintendo. It's like mobile Nintendo and Switch Nintendo are two completely separate companies.

To be fair, Pocket Camp is far less predatory than most mobile games I have seen. They are pretty generous with handing out leaf tickets (the game's currency) for free and events are threshold. There are no PvP pay to win events in the game.

laziboi

Alt-account
Banned
Oct 25, 2019
Your Anus

While that was a bit of a naive assumption on may part. I was arguing that in theory, a subscription model is preferable to microtransactions as it'd be more fair. You people need to calm down for once.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
True. But the sad part is when the app stores are so open anyone can run in and tank the value of mobile games.
And this is a big problem. Right now I've seen more than one article talking about the next economic bubble being advertising.

Think about how many F2P games are funded solely off of ads. Then think about the fact that someone had to pay for that ad, which is another F2P ad-based game. And every transfer of funds means the ad company and developer gets a cut. It's a weird incestuous circle and it's impossible for it to last. At some point advertisers are going to wise up to the diminishing returns of how frequently their message is ignored, cut the rates across the board, and the F2P market is going to crash, hard.

Even now, do you notice how your F2P game ads always have the (X) button in a different style and corner? Most games nowadays use a meta-advertising engine that combines multiple networks to compete for the best rate. So using just one network isn't enough anymore. They have to be stacked to have enough quantity.

I'm not sure what's going to happen when this market fizzles up, but it's not going to be pretty.

IamFlying

Alt Account
Banned
Apr 6, 2019
And this is a big problem. Right now I've seen more than one article talking about the next economic bubble being advertising.

Think about how many F2P games are funded solely off of ads. Then think about the fact that someone had to pay for that ad, which is another F2P ad-based game. And every transfer of funds means the ad company and developer gets a cut. It's a weird incestuous circle and it's impossible for it to last. At some point advertisers are going to wise up to the diminishing returns of how frequently their message is ignored, cut the rates across the board, and the F2P market is going to crash, hard.

Even now, do you notice how your F2P game ads always have the (X) button in a different style and corner? Most games nowadays use a meta-advertising engine that combines multiple networks to compete for the best rate. So using just one network isn't enough anymore. They have to be stacked to have enough quantity.

I'm not sure what's going to happen when this market fizzles up, but it's not going to be pretty.

Its a click baity nonsense article.

The thing you called "meta advertising" is practically normal since the beginning of advertising in games. And yes, ads in mobile games are still make a lot of money if you have a game with decent download numbers.

PaulLFC

Oct 27, 2017
"That's two different plans to choose from!"

aka "We weren't content with just introducing one paid subscription, so we introduced two at the same time - some of you will pay for both anyway".