• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Just started the game (yep I know 2 years late).

This is my ID:

EESKDKQXUAAoX9R.jpg

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
LMAO, the update is absolute garbage and a new low. I got the Rocket and Pals' Island and sent Gulliver off. He came back after 18 hours with 3 souvenirs, and the one I opened had 2 Gold Treats. Out of curiosity, I decided to try out using LT, and I ended up spending 12 LT for 30,000 Bells and 9 LT for 8 Bronze Treats...

From what I can tell, there are 14 possible souvenirs for the animal islands, and since you can seemingly only get 3 souvenirs at a time from them, that means you could potentially have to make 5 trips to get everything. And that's if you use LT every time! If you go the LT route, it could take up to 96 LT and 90 hours to get a desired animal map. Without LT, it's up to 14 trips and 252 hours. Plus the countless resources and crafting time you need just to send Gulliver off. What the actual fuck were they thinking?

It wasn't enough that they have had their BS fortune cookies. Now LT has to permeate every single part of the game. I really can't wait until this app dies off so they can move all of the assets to New Horizons.

Edit: It's actually 14 possible souvenirs from animal islands: 4 animal maps, 1 LT map, 1 Request Ticket x2, 2 Gold Treats x2, 2 Silver Treats x2, 2 Bronze Treats x8, and 2 30k Bells. I've updated the numbers accordingly.

Edit 2: Apparently the number of souvenirs Gulliver comes back with can vary from 3-6, so it might take less than 96 LT for an animal map.

Last edited:

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
no way i'm spending LT on these island trips

not worth it at all

i have enough sparkle stones saved up (plus many sparkle stone maps)

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
no way i'm spending LT on these island trips

not worth it at all

i have enough sparkle stones saved up (plus many sparkle stone maps)
The minimum amount of Sparkle Stones per trip is 6 (1 Themed Crate + 1 Rainbow Package), so if it takes all 14 trips it would be 84 Sparkle Stones per animal island. That's up to 420 Sparkle Stones for the 5 new animal maps.

And the islands only refresh every 5 days, or otherwise 300k bells to refresh instantly. There are around 98 possible islands, so good luck getting the animal you actually want.

Last edited:

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Wait... I continued to misunderstand how Gulliver works as I had no idea how bad it was. I was disappointed after all those resources and 17 hours all I got was 1 measly bronze treat. No way I'm spending LT for more garbage... sigh. I'll just ignore Gulliver instead.

And add new friends. I really hope the one thing New Horizons crosses over from PC is the friends list.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The minimum amount of Sparkle Stones per trip is 6 (1 Themed Crate + 1 Rainbow Package), so if it takes all 14 trips it would be 84 Sparkle Stones per animal island. That's up to 420 Sparkle Stones for the 5 new animal maps.

And the islands only refresh every 5 days, or otherwise 300k bells to refresh instantly. There are around 98 possible islands, so good luck getting the animal you actually want.
I've long since given up on trying to get all the animal maps

Come what may

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I only realised this morning what you have to do. Most of the "special islands" the cargo has to be crafted for Gulliver..

It's so bad. Having to craft additional items instead of just letting us get rid of duplicates was a horrible idea.

And these 1-ticket goals are so insulting that it's almost comedic. I mean, really, they couldn't at least be 3 tickets each or something?

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
So for this new Gulliver terribleness, is it just made overly complicated to confuse people?

It feels like in terms of materials, specifically sparkle stones, it's just just to give Gulliver a golden package (150 points) and then a crate (60 points). You'll have a surplus of 10 points but isn't that better than spending more sparkle stones on two 20 point items and one 10 point item instead of one 60 point item?

Unless I'm missing something here.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
So for this new Gulliver terribleness, is it just made overly complicated to confuse people?

It feels like in terms of materials, specifically sparkle stones, it's just just to give Gulliver a golden package (150 points) and then a crate (60 points). You'll have a surplus of 10 points but isn't that better than spending more sparkle stones on two 20 point items and one 10 point item instead of one 60 point item?

it also takes like just over 17 hours for him to arrive back with what hopefully will be a villager map.. and then you get one in four chance to pick the right barrel of goods. If it's not what you want then you can open the rest by using leaf tickets for each of the remaining barrels

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
it also takes like just over 17 hours for him to arrive back with what hopefully will be a villager map.. and then you get one in four chance to pick the right barrel of goods. If it's not what you want then you can open the rest by using leaf tickets for each of the remaining barrels

Right, I know all that. I'm just referring to the type of cargo you give him.

It feels like there's no reason why you wouldn't just do one golden package for 150 points and one crate for 60 points, right?

Otherwise, you're just spending more sparkle stones. But I'm not sure if I'm missing something.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017

The golden packages also take 3 Happy Home Material and significantly longer to craft, 12 hours. It "only" takes an hour to craft a themed crate. The stupidest part is that there's a limit to how many times you can send each type of cargo (1 of each themed crate and 2 of each themed package). Golden package + themed crate would take 4 Sparkle Stones. But if you don't send a golden package it would take, for example, 1 Red Crate + 1 Pink Crate + 2 Red Packages + 2 Pink Packages, which would take 6 Sparkle Stones. The trade-off is essentially between 2 Sparkle Stones and 3 HH Material, as well as time. It would take 1.5 hours to craft all of the regular cargo necessary vs 12 hours for the golden package.

I calculated the amount of HH Material it would take for the 5 new animal maps, assuming you don't use LT to get extra souvenirs and you're unlucky and it takes all 14 trips. First of all, you need 125 HH Material total to craft the Golden series, so set those aside if you want those. After that they're fairly useless aside from crafting reissue items. Anyway, 3 HH Material per golden package x 14 trips x 5 islands = 210 HH Material. That's 335 HH Material altogether. I've been playing since just a little before the HH courses debuted and have 277 HH Material, and that's after spending ~10 on reissues. Crafting golden packages would drain my resources significantly, and you never know what future bullshit they'll come up with that takes HH Material.

But by far the biggest problem is that it's just soooo much more time intensive than the old system. Before, I could craft 10 1-minute items (or just use dupes) and send Gulliver off for 6 hours, and I'd usually have 2-3 chances a day for an animal map. Now it takes 18 hours. Realistically, that's one chance a day. If I'm super unlucky and don't want to spend LT, it would take 2 weeks to get an animal map.

Add to that the fact that there are 98 possible islands (with the possibility of dupes!) and it becomes clear how much of a time and resource sink the new Gulliver is.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
i
The golden packages also take 3 Happy Home Material and significantly longer to craft, 12 hours. It "only" takes an hour to craft a themed crate. The stupidest part is that there's a limit to how many times you can send each type of cargo (1 of each themed crate and 2 of each themed package). Golden package + themed crate would take 4 Sparkle Stones. But if you don't send a golden package it would take, for example, 1 Red Crate + 1 Pink Crate + 2 Red Packages + 2 Pink Packages, which would take 6 Sparkle Stones. The trade-off is essentially between 2 Sparkle Stones and 3 HH Material, as well as time. It would take 1.5 hours to craft all of the regular cargo necessary vs 12 hours for the golden package.

I calculated the amount of HH Material it would take for the 5 new animal maps, assuming you don't use LT to get extra souvenirs and you're unlucky and it takes all 14 trips. First of all, you need 125 HH Material total to craft the Golden series, so set those aside if you want those. After that they're fairly useless aside from crafting reissue items. Anyway, 3 HH Material per golden package x 14 trips x 5 islands = 210 HH Material. That's 335 HH Material altogether. I've been playing since just a little before the HH courses debuted and have 277 HH Material, and that's after spending ~10 on reissues. Crafting golden packages would drain my resources significantly, and you never know what future bullshit they'll come up with that takes HH Material.

But by far the biggest problem is that it's just soooo much more time intensive than the old system. Before, I could craft 10 1-minute items (or just use dupes) and send Gulliver off for 6 hours, and I'd usually have 2-3 chances a day for an animal map. Now it takes 18 hours. Realistically, that's one chance a day. If I'm super unlucky and don't want to spend LT, it would take 2 weeks to get an animal map.

Add to that the fact that there are 98 possible islands (with the possibility of dupes!) and it becomes clear how much of a time and resource sink the new Gulliver is.

I might just wait it out. This is so horrendously awful, I feel like they will make changes.

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
FYI: They announced on the official Japanese Twitter account that they will be making adjustments to the new Gulliver system.

Last edited:

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
I might just wait it out. This is so horrendously awful, I feel like they will make changes.
FYI: The announced on the official Japanese Twitter account that they will be making adjustments to the new Gulliver system.
Ha! By pure luck I got a new camper on the 2nd trip I sent Gulliver on, and with my first pick of gifts. I haven't seen a new camper since... and I wasn't about to waste LTs or 300k on rerolls.

Shang

Oct 27, 2017
It's interesting that the specified we'll be able to give random clothing and furniture for any island. I wouldn't mind if random stuff gave a decent number of points, while specific stuff gave more. And if they do keep the packages and crates, then at the very least I hope they remove the need for Sparkle Stones.

I also want them to drastically lower the amount of time it takes to send Gulliver off. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be a maximum of 6 hours like it used to be. Oh, and get rid of the junk prizes like bells and treats. I might be willing to spend LT on animal islands, but not if I end up with useless bells.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
It's interesting that the specified we'll be able to give random clothing and furniture for any island. I wouldn't mind if random stuff gave a decent number of points, while specific stuff gave more. And if they do keep the packages and crates, then at the very least I hope they remove the need for Sparkle Stones.

I also want them to drastically lower the amount of time it takes to send Gulliver off. There's absolutely no reason why it shouldn't be a maximum of 6 hours like it used to be. Oh, and get rid of the junk prizes like bells and treats. I might be willing to spend LT on animal islands, but not if I end up with useless bells.
i think they should rebalance it so you can use sparkle stones optionally to guarantee that you get a "good" souvenir. so for example you should be able to ship cargo to the regular amount of points without using any sparkle stones, but if you give excess points to a certain degree then it can restrict the souvenir to a select list that includes only things like Animal Maps and Leaf Tickets.

if there's only one "good" souvenir left then one sparkle stone shipment will guarantee you get it. If there are two, then you can use leaf tickets to get the second one, just like now. I feel this would be a lot more fair without changing the basic premise of the system, which encourages using both leaf tickets and sparkle stones.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Nice. The usual "we're sorry" leaf tickets was like 30 I thought.

It's also interesting that they stated it will take several months to fix? Wow. That's nuts. And by then the Switch version will be out...

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
OMG, the Halloween stuff is coming. I wasn't playing it last year at this time, so I'm gonna be crafting reissued items like a maniac.

Piggychan

Oct 25, 2017
jesus christ lol, the new friends list background freaked me out

yes it's not easy on the eyes but it's.... funky ?

I'm the minority but I honestly had no problem with the Gulliver update save for the actual delivery where you had to pick a barrel and hope it would be an animal map.. but I've been too invested into MHW Iceborne to actually worry too much about these latest updates...

Deleted member 8674

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Please sell me wood.

EESKDKQXUAAoX9R.jpg

And thank you for the fantastic players from Era who constantly sell materials and help with the game.

Ellix

Oct 26, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I haven't posted here in a while! I guess I'm late for the Gulliver commiseration party. That was the first time I have intentionally not completed a set of event goals. Especially not when the rewards were a measly one (1) Leaf Ticket.

I tried crafting some of the coloured cargo crates, but I didn't realize there were arbitrary limits on how much of each type of cargo you could send at a time (i.e. they intentionally make you waste more sparkle stones on the cheaper but less valuable cargo). And all that for only a 10% chance per map??? After that I completely stopped trying to use Gulliver. Bea's map is the only one I'm missing and they will be in limbo for a while.

On the plus side, I finally got the special furniture for Blathers! Only other one I'm looking for is Kicks.

jefjay You've been helping me a bunch in the past few gardening events, but I rarely find the opportunity to share stuff back with you. I'm thinking you're really on top of replanting, or maybe there's someone who's a lot quicker at finding those empty garden spots than me!

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
@jefjay You've been helping me a bunch in the past few gardening events, but I rarely find the opportunity to share stuff back with you. I'm thinking you're really on top of replanting, or maybe there's someone who's a lot quicker at finding those empty garden spots than me!
Ha! I feel like it used to be the other way around, so no worries. Maybe it's been a little of both or the change in gardening event rates, but people do seem quick on the draw. I got the "someone shared creatures" with you notification a few times and thought, there's no way it's been 3 hours yet. It had to be like within a minute or two.

And yeah, after two attempts at the new Gulliver I quit. I'll see how they plan to fix him. In "several months".

Cat

Oct 25, 2017
US
I guess I forgot how many of my friends were from this thread. Thanks for all the various help, everyone. ;)

EDIT: Oh, and I think I have room for more.
8639 2382 452

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Man, I can't get over how awful the new island system is.

I finished my current three albums, one of which took a ton of materials and 13 hours each time for it to come back.

... But I can't refresh the island until tomorrow for no real reason. This is so bad.

zroid

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Man, I can't get over how awful the new island system is.

I finished my current three albums, one of which took a ton of materials and 13 hours each time for it to come back.

... But I can't refresh the island until tomorrow for no real reason. This is so bad.
dolla dolla bells yall!

Hours Left

Oct 26, 2017
Is anyone here looking to cross pollinate a bunch of flower seeds? I need Friend Powder ASAP and so I'm looking for someone who wants to pollinate a bunch of seeds. Blue tulips seeds in particular are easiest to get if you go to someone else's garden, but I have all the rare everyday flowers and can plant whatever you want.

If anyone is interested, please let me know.

ZeoVGM

Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
There is one more big QOL update the game needs: the ability to open multiple cookies at once.

I have everything you could possibly get from the standard fortune cookies and I have like 50 of each in my inventory. It takes way too long to go through them all so they're just sitting there until I can open like 10 at a time. Haha.