• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Spectromixer

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA

Cuphead is coming to Netflix. In a joint announcement from Netflix, King Features, and Cuphead developer Studio MDHR, the smash-hit 2017 bullet-hell, boss-rush side-scrolling shooter starring Cuphead and his blue-accented partner Mugman is getting an animated series on the world's biggest streaming network. The series will be called The Cuphead Show! Like the game, the Netflix's The Cuphead Show! will feature 1930's-style animation. It will also be hand-drawn, though not entirely to paper this time, and not by Studio MDHR themselves but instead by Netflix's own in-house animation studio. "We are not going to be animating this [ourselves] because it would never be finished," Cuphead co-creator Chad Moldenhauer told IGN with a laugh during a phone interview. "The current goal is to stay as far away from [computer-assisted] puppeteer animation as possible," he added. "The idea will still be that every frame is hand-drawn" but probably not on paper. "It's going to be hand-drawn but digitally. 'Tradigital'," he said.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Cuphead is coming to Netflix. In a joint announcement from Netflix, King Features, and Cuphead developer Studio MDHR, the smash-hit 2017 bullet-hell, boss-rush side-scrolling shooter starring Cuphead and his blue-accented partner Mugman is getting an animated series on the world's biggest streaming network. The series will be called The Cuphead Show!

Like the game, the Netflix's The Cuphead Show! will feature 1930's-style animation. It will also be hand-drawn, though not entirely to paper this time, and not by Studio MDHR themselves but instead by Netflix's own in-house animation studio. "We are not going to be animating this [ourselves] because it would never be finished," Cuphead co-creator Chad Moldenhauer told IGN with a laugh during a phone interview. "The current goal is to stay as far away from [computer-assisted] puppeteer animation as possible," he added. "The idea will still be that every frame is hand-drawn" but probably not on paper. "It's going to be hand-drawn but digitally. 'Tradigital'," he said.

Cuphead_fbtw_post_watermark1-720x719.jpg

Finale Fireworker

Love each other or die trying.
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Netflix produces a ton of excellent animation so I'm definitely in for this.

Also congrats to the Cuphead team for creating such a lucrative IP. I love to see success like this.

CrazyAndy

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I am so in for when this premiers 10 years from now.

It's not going to take too long.

"We are not going to be animating this [ourselves] because it would never be finished," Cuphead co-creator Chad Moldenhauer told IGN with a laugh during a phone interview. "The current goal is to stay as far away from [computer-assisted] puppeteer animation as possible," he added. "The idea will still be that every frame is hand-drawn" but probably not on paper. "It's going to be hand-drawn but digitally. 'Tradigital'," he said.

Kadzork

Has got mad skills!!
Oct 27, 2017
Their Cup(head) runneth over.

Can't wait to see this in action.

Deleted member 388

User Requested Account Deletion
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy this is happening for such a great IP. This could have easily just been that "charming but hard" indie game that gets forgotten in time.

Deleted member 18951

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amazing news! Congrats to the whole team.

Now I would love to see this gif recreated in Cupheads style of animation and with Cuphead replacing McDuck :)
e17f2887a94fdc561970bae5631bdcc3.jpg

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
SOOOO happy for StudiioMDHR!! Well done guys.

oni-link

tag reference no one gets
Oct 25, 2017
UK
The first episode is just going to be the main character struggling to get out of the tutorial level

iHeartGameDev

Feb 22, 2019
Congratulations to the founders and team. It's wonderful to see teams come from humble beginnings and find such great success.

Deleted member 3294

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Netflix's animation studio has sounded pretty promising, since they've hired a bunch of talented people there, so really curious to see what this'll be like.

Danzflor

Oct 27, 2017
A lil' disappointed is an all-ages show, but at the same time interested to see with what they'll' come up for this.

(Just to clarify, the game deals with some religious, booze and gambling themes, but if it was Ok with Tom & Jerry before, maybe it will fly again this time?)

MadMod

Dec 4, 2017
What a cool idea! Hopefully Studio MDHR have their vision continued respectfully.

Capra

Oct 25, 2017
A lil' disappointed is an all-ages show, but at the same time interested to see with what they'll' come up for this.

(Just to clarify, the game deals with some religious, booze and gambling themes, but if it was Ok with Tom & Jerry before, maybe I'll fly again this time?)

They say they're not aiming to make a show just for kids and that there'll be stuff for older people to enjoy, so I'm hopeful.