• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Not a big anime guy. I decided to watch Hi-Score Girl because of the 90s arcade fight scene and SF. I LOVED IT. I consider it my second favourite show. So then

I was recommended Teasing Master Takagi-san. I'm currently going through it and love it.

Are there more shows in this vein?

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
Humanity is Declining, Kimi to Boku, Sketchbook, K-On, and i'll think of some more i'm missing.

Deleted member 11985

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Recovery of an MMO Junkie was good, but the last few episodes started steering a little too close into the erotic category. Also, apparently one of the producers was a nazi.

Princess Jellyfish is wholesome, but might be a little too adolescent.

Messi

I am leaving this community!
Oct 25, 2017
A place further than the universe. A life affirming beautiful anime that is so wholesome. Probably my favourite anime ever.

Huggy

Oct 25, 2017
Laid Back Camp (Yuru Camp) and A Place Further than the Universe! They are both the most Comfy animes ever, they always make me smile

OP
OP
MrNewVegas

MrNewVegas

Oct 27, 2017
Two so far for A Place Further Than The Universe with a fave anime nod makes me think that may be my next!

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Usagi Drop.

Also, I liked Hi Score Girl, but Akira beating up Haruo was a bit too 'real' at times.

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Polar Bear Cafe is wholesome and humorous.

KxRh7HitqSKQ84hnc8iyU-FqlaEeQoquPJkwOem0qDE0XqbQsGcFafX5AoO8kUJscJ4jKFVDLbNDatJuyjxqxYzFS5bKYGhAQTlcc_EsGR_wrG3x6R_F0mjEBfb5CogI

I'm surprised I'm alone on this one.

Last edited:

Deleted member 30681

user requested account closure
Banned
Nov 4, 2017
Aria
Bunny Drop (pretend the manga doesn't exist. Don't look it up after you watch the anime either)
Flying Witch
New Game
Snow White With the Red Hair
Fruits Basket (I just now started watching this recently, and it's absolutely incredible. Make sure you watch the 2019 version as it's getting a full adaptation this time with a s2 coming this spring)

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Magical Circle Guru Guru is the most obvious one I can think of. Incredibly wholesome, and it's a parody of Dragon Quest and 8-bit JRPGs in general, so it even has videogame references covered.

Other than that, Barakamon is a pretty wholesome show about a single man trying to raise a kid, and Kaguya-sama: Love is War, Monthly Girls Nozaki-Kun, Tanaka-kun is Always Listless, and Tsuredure Children are all good slice-of-life/romantic comedies that I'd assume are similar to Takagi-san (which I've never watched). Tsuredure Children focuses more on romance, while the rest focus much more on comedy.

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
Azumanga Daioh - follows the 3 years of high school for a group of adorably weird girls.
Kimi ni Todoke - a shy, and endearingly sweet introverted girl and the popular boy in her class develop feelings for one another. Two seasons long.
Haikyuu!! - YES I CONSIDER THIS WHOLESOME. One of the best sports series of all time that has such an upbeat, positive vibe to it with no real "bad guys", there's just opposing teams. Currently 4 seasons, with the 6th episode of season 4 having just aired today.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Azumanga Daioh - follows the 3 years of high school for a group of adorably weird girls.
Kimi ni Todoke - a shy, and endearingly sweet introverted girl and the popular boy in her class develop feelings for one another
Haikyuu!! - YES I CONSIDER THIS WHOLESOME. One of the best sports series of all time that has such an upbeat, positive vibe to it with no real "bad guys", there's just opposing teams.

IIRC Daioh has some, well, unwholesome stuff in it.

Most sports-based anime (which doesn't involve swimsuits) are pretty wholesome. Or board game related stuff like Chihayafuru.

Netflix also has Little Witch Academia as well (I assume you have Netflix because you watched Hi Score Girl, but maybe not)

SunKing

Oct 25, 2017
IIRC Daioh has some, well, unwholesome stuff in it.
There is a teacher with...lecherous thoughts, yes. But thankfully it never goes beyond the characters & audience hearing his ramblings (i.e. there's no sexualization of the girls to my recollection). The characters treat him like the perverted werido he is.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Also, go read Yotsuba & (no anime yet, maybe ever, but that's about as wholesome as you'll get)

Mesoian

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 28, 2017

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd echo people pushing for A Place Futher Than The Universe

Clannad is wholesome too.

The Animal Crossing movie is also better than it should be and very easy to digest.

I don't blame you. There was another manga with a similar plot but the ending was..the same so I dropped it.

I was crushed! So glad the anime didn't continue and can be counted as it's own thing.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
The OP "isn't a big anime guy" so I wouldn't recommend Crunchyroll shows as it's unlikely he'll ever watch them to be fair. Easier to just stick to Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime.. stuff that is readily available to most people.

In terms of easily accessible shows, I just finished one that is available on Hulu and absolutely loved it. It's called Monthly Girls' Nozaki-Kun and it's about a high school girl who tries to confess to her crush but ends up telling him she's a fan.. and he gives her an autograph in return. It turns out he's actually secretly an incredibly famous shoujo manga artist and she ends up helping him with the series. There are a few other students at the high school who are also his assistants and the show is about him mining their daily lives for stories to include in his series. It's 12 episodes and is very funny and not at all sexualized. Highly recommended.

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Poco's Udon World

And if somebody tells me a fucked up manga continuation exists, I'm going to smash a window.