• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Le Portrait de Petit Cossette 03 END
6XbSu8E.jpg
mp9Lg0N.jpg

It did take my a while to get through this so my grasp on events perhaps wasn't as firm as it should be but even so, this strikes me as very whimsical and even confused conclusion. Rushed too, as evidenced by that abrupt ending and basically everything that had to do with side 'characters' who barely deserve that moniker. As such; being held down by its script, this ends up being rather a curiosity to be sought for its more technical qualities; the Deluxe Shinbo injection, the horrory vibes and maybe the Hirofumi Suzuki designs or perhaps for apparently being Marina Inoue's, praised may she be, first role.

BigWinnie1

Banned
Feb 19, 2018
Goblin Slayer 10
Looks like the elf failed her con save first.

Goblin Slayer 10

Can I say this story has alot more heart that people give it credit for? The relationship between goblin Slayer and his childhood friend is really refreshing and heart breaking at the same time.

They had a childhood fight as the last memory of each other before tragedy tore them apart for 5 years before she saw him again and by then both of them were different people but also they both need the other because they the only pieces of home the other has.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Reading these SAO posts only makes me wish GGO Alternative would get another season already...

That won't happen for at least five years considering there's no content for one season, including the time of planning and production in it, of course. And that a new one probably only would come after alicization ends which would be in 2020 so 3-2 years after it, considering Aniplex plan to adapt every iteration of the franchise into anime with kadokawa and that Miki (ex editor of kawahara and others) in straight edge is contracting for writers for games, novels and anime for different projects of the franchise so it'll have a future.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Oh yeah the stupid love triangle bit is really terrible. It's a good distraction as a way to lead into the conspiracy arc (which was set up great, except Malves appears like, once, and then gets immediately neutered) but honestly... like, if Minori had been older or Akatsuki younger it maybe could have worked better. That cake episode was a real challenge and I ended up skipping most of it.

Also Akatsuki really suffers from not actually doing anything for most of the arc and for the one preceeding it, which they acknowledge, but it makes this one (where she's centre-stage still not doing anything) even more bullshit.
You're really gonna love season 2 then since that's pretty much her role during most of the first arc of the show. Shiroe/Natsu basically get the A plot and the rest of the cast are relegated to a slow-moving B plot that at least has a decent payoff later in the City arc. It's kind of depressing that Akatsuki is kind of relegated to being more of a secondary character pretty much after the early portions of the series. I think she ends up making it up later on in S2, but I remember next to nothing past where I'm at now. At least she gets a neat power-up?

I just wish the whole Minori thing didn't get so much attention.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
That's interesting, they're not going for a 2D-ish look like most other series, they're embracing the 3D.

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
That won't happen for at least five years considering there's no content for one season, including the time of planning and production in it, of course. And that a new one probably only would come after alicization ends which would be in 2020 so 3-2 years after it, considering Aniplex plan to adapt every iteration of the franchise into anime with kadokawa and that Miki (ex editor of kawahara and others) in straight edge is contracting for writers for games, novels and anime for different projects of the franchise so it'll have a future.
I see.

I was under the impression that there were plenty more to cover but apparently not. Hopefully it happens anyway be it in 5 years or over/under.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Sword Art Online: Alicization 10

Aside from the rape stuff it was a good episode in my opinion.

The laws of this worlds are too stupid though, like come on, murder is prohibited but rape is totally fine, and killing someone else due to self-defense/protecting others is also wrong...

Gridman 10

That damn cliffhanger in the end. Can't wait for the next episode.

The fight was great.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Watching Gridman make me wish there was a slife of life series about Alexis Kerib and the main antagonist. They're by far the most entertaining part of the show.

Oct 25, 2017
I know it's not your thing but Devilman Crybaby. This set an impossibly high bar for everything after though.

That's fair (I assume), although it was being planned before Netflix came in. Not that I have to have everything made to my tastes either, but stuff like B: The Beginning or Hero Mask seem so pointless, and having missed opportunities like giving Ghost in the Shell and Ultraman to a soulless CG director or giving 7 Seeds to the Dog and Scissors staff at Gonzo - all this seems so much like clueless executives just throwing about money to any random thing that checks some "popular" checkbox.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
That's fair (I assume), although it was being planned before Netflix came in. Not that I have to have everything made to my tastes either, but stuff like B: The Beginning or Hero Mask seem so pointless, and having missed opportunities like giving Ghost in the Shell and Ultraman to a soulless CG director or giving 7 Seeds to the Dog and Scissors staff at Gonzo - all this seems so much like clueless executives just throwing about money to any random thing that checks some "popular" checkbox.
Well at least they undoubtably giving breath to the industry. That better than nothing.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Iroduku 10

These "inside the drawing" sequences are definitely the best parts of the show.

SSSS.Gridman 10

lmao they literally lived next door

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
GitS being CG is probably on Kamiyama in that they're (Kamiyama and Aramaki) trying to establish this new studio. Of course it makes me want to scream when I see Blade Runner being completely done at that shithole than a good studio.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Aside from the rape stuff it was a good episode in my opinion.

The laws of this worlds are too stupid though, like come on, murder is prohibited but rape is totally fine, and killing someone else due to self-defense/protecting others is also wrong...

Gridman 10

That damn cliffhanger in the end. Can't wait for the next episode.

The fight was great.

The law is made by the ruler of that world, not by the team of the project if that was what you thought. It's basically a law made to benefit the ruler and nobles, which is why it's so fuck up. They probably will touch on it in a few episodes.

I can't describe much without spoiling everything, so this will have to do.

1544320212551.png

lol great, thanks for this.

Deleted member 35077

Self-requested ban
Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Oh boy, Shield Warrior was confirm to be 2 cours with the first episode being an hour long. Like Goblin Slayer this season the first chapter was written to get a reaction out of people with it's absolute edge, but in a different way.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Oh boy, Shield Warrior was confirm to be 2 cours with the first episode being an hour long. Like Goblin Slayer this season the first chapter was written to get a reaction out of people with it's absolute edge, but in a different way.
literally the only reason I might check it out is because Kevin Penkin is doing the soundtrack

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017

The new Grappler Baki anime comes out in a week or two and that's mostly traditional animation with some random CG here or there. It mostly looks like this though:

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Oct 25, 2017
So I saw Mirai on Wednesday evening. The more I reflect on it, the more I appreciate it. It's a really fascinating film, though I can understand why it got a comparatively muted reception compared to Hosoda's other films. (And I don't envy the marketers who tried to figure out how to sell it.) Even though I knew from reading others' impressions kind of what to expect, I was still surprised by just how small-scale it was - even with the flights of fancy, it's just an ordinary family figuring out how to live as a family in their mundane daily lives. It's probably the smallest-scale film Hosoda has done (with the exception of his first Digimon short film) - even Wolf Children is a grand epic compared to this. It's definitely the most experimental film Hosoda has made since leaving Toei, especially in its surreal existential climax. (Even threw in some cut-out animation!)

In its themes, it's highly traditional and yet quietly radical in how it defines an individual through family connectedness. Whereas Wolf Children's climax featured Ame and Yuki defining their own life paths and separating themselves from their mother, here Kun's existential crisis is only resolved when he accepts his unchosen family relationships and the responsibilities that come with them. In an age which preaches radical autonomy and individualist self-creation, it's positively countercultural to have such a strong message that we are not our own but also belong to others - Mom's son, Dad's son, Mirai's older brother. This need to counterbalance the solitary self with communal bonds is something I've been reflecting a lot on lately, so this movie resonated strongly with me.

While I do hope Hosoda moves away from basing all his films so strongly on his own experiences of raising a family - Mirai is the apotheosis of this autobiographical trend, feeling in many places like Hosoda had simply put cameras up around his own house - I appreciate the unconventional approach he took with his exploration of family in this film. Considering the strongly distinct aesthetics of each of the fantasy vignettes, I feel like Hosoda could go in lots of different successful directions at this point.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Was looking ahead towards next season and Spring:

image0.png

tenor.gif

I'll have waited almost six years for this. Lol.

Xyer

Avenger
Aug 26, 2018
Should have just read the manga in that time then haha

I actually have. I did that about a year and a half ago since I gave up and assumed it would never get another anime. I haven't read it in more than a year. I should jump back in. It seemed like it was wrapping up.

I'm just happy for the anime to be back. It's been so long. :)

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017

Was this posted already? New PV for Dororo, looks interesting.

What the shit...I'm here day 1.
So I saw Mirai on Wednesday evening. The more I reflect on it, the more I appreciate it. It's a really fascinating film, though I can understand why it got a comparatively muted reception compared to Hosoda's other films. (And I don't envy the marketers who tried to figure out how to sell it.) Even though I knew from reading others' impressions kind of what to expect, I was still surprised by just how small-scale it was - even with the flights of fancy, it's just an ordinary family figuring out how to live as a family in their mundane daily lives. It's probably the smallest-scale film Hosoda has done (with the exception of his first Digimon short film) - even Wolf Children is a grand epic compared to this. It's definitely the most experimental film Hosoda has made since leaving Toei, especially in its surreal existential climax. (Even threw in some cut-out animation!)

In its themes, it's highly traditional and yet quietly radical in how it defines an individual through family connectedness. Whereas Wolf Children's climax featured Ame and Yuki defining their own life paths and separating themselves from their mother, here Kun's existential crisis is only resolved when he accepts his unchosen family relationships and the responsibilities that come with them. In an age which preaches radical autonomy and individualist self-creation, it's positively countercultural to have such a strong message that we are not our own but also belong to others - Mom's son, Dad's son, Mirai's older brother. This need to counterbalance the solitary self with communal bonds is something I've been reflecting a lot on lately, so this movie resonated strongly with me.

While I do hope Hosoda moves away from basing all his films so strongly on his own experiences of raising a family - Mirai is the apotheosis of this autobiographical trend, feeling in many places like Hosoda had simply put cameras up around his own house - I appreciate the unconventional approach he took with his exploration of family in this film. Considering the strongly distinct aesthetics of each of the fantasy vignettes, I feel like Hosoda could go in lots of different successful directions at this point.
I appreciate this since I wasn't going to watch it until I read your post.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017

Clearly, the cosmic karma can't let such a foul blow to the balance stand and will bless us with Lost Canvas S2 to even the scales. Soon.

Doesn't even look all that bad. Better than that Ultraman at the very least.

And unless this was all from early episodes the pacing looks fine too.

Abrams vs Pegasus ? US Army vs Knights ?

I'm in.

Last edited:

dimb

Oct 25, 2017

Just because I keep seeing this come up...the world that is depicted is a basic caste system where the higher castes subjugate lower castes. Something incredibly common throughout history that still exists today. The entire new series is built around altering perception of preconceived power structures to create something better. This is mirrored across hard computer code that the AI is trying to break, the artificial society in the game, and ultimately our own society.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms

Beautiful movie with a thoughtful message. There's a lot that goes on at every point of the film, pushing the story forward or trying to show the progress of time but I do wish they spent some (more) time on relaying the feeling of loneliness and how Maquia came to terms with it through Ariel after he left her. On the other hand, I love how she understands that raising Ariel was her own choice & not something that was fated the moment she notices Ariel's daughter grab her finger, the series of flash backs was frankly unnecessary but it doesn't hurt the moment at least. Leilia's side of the story is an interesting contrast to Maquia, though it feels as though they skipped over some of her development at the end(or Krim's words have had more of an impact than I seem to realize).

I really like the implication at the end; everyone is led to believe that if they fall in love, they become lonely, the irony makes sense knowing they are immortal but at the end, we now have a story that says otherwise. I really wish I felt that stronger, I still find it a bit tragic but this winds back to what I was saying about how the movie could've spent more time on how Maquia managed to cope with her loneliness when Ariel wasn't around.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Liz to Aoi Tori

While I liked Koe no Katachi, I thought this was a far better film. It's basically a self contained story about Mizore and Nozomi that draws parallels from the titular fairy tale, which is incorporated into the movie with a very different colour palette and artstyle. The direction of the movie is really fascinating, while the movie itself constantly looks really beautiful. I can't say I cared much about the characters in S2, but I actually appreciated them in this. The short appearances of the rest of the Euphonium cast, even if they weren't the focus, fitted very well.

Status
Not open for further replies.