• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I just watch the clips posted on sakugabooru!

The sort of wild, raw animation style seen in webgen festivals like what you mention or Fate/Apocrypha #22 isn't my favorite style - as action goes I prefer animation focused on weight and clarity of motion, and I probably prefer nuanced, subtle character animation even more so - but I'm always glad to see shows that throw caution to the wind and let animators try different things.

Yeah my personal preference leans toward character acting too - a lot of webgen animators did amazing work on Yamasusu S3 earlier this year.

Maybe the clarity of motion and weight would be easier to discern if you actually engaged with the original material instead of watching select cuts in silent webms.

The Black Clover #63 cuts emphasizing flashy effects animation and a more abstract aesthetic over clarity of motion and weight seems pretty indisputable to me? This isn't a dig at the quality or anything, that's pretty evidently the style they were going for.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Maybe the clarity of motion and weight would be easier to discern if you actually engaged with the original material instead of watching select cuts in silent webms.

I did watch the entirety of Fate/Apocrypha #22. But it doesn't take sound or surrounding scenes to be able to tell that this is a pretty different stylistic approach to action from, say, this. (Or we could simply look at the evolution of Yutaka Nakamura from Cowboy Bebop to Concrete Revolutio.)

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
The Black Clover #63 cuts emphasizing flashy effects animation and a more abstract aesthetic over clarity of motion and weight seems pretty indisputable to me? This isn't a dig at the quality or anything, that's pretty evidently the style they were going for.
Suggesting that lax correction work has any correlation to concepts like weight is absurd. And it is insulting to suggest that work that exists in this space like Apocrypha 22 is somehow separated from subtle or "nuanced" character animation.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Is there an easy way to buy things on iTunes Japan from the US? I'm trying to scoop up some OSTs and I dont understand why they dont make them available for all markets 😡
The easiest way is making a Japanese iTunes account with another email. I haven't done it in a while so the method for doing so has probably changed. I imagine this is something someone has written a guide for.

Once a second iTunes account is made, you can easily log out and log back in the iTunes/App stores and charge your Japanese iTunes accounts with prepaid codes from Japan-Codes or other websites. (You likely won't be able to add money to it any other way, unfortunately.)

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
The easiest way is making a Japanese iTunes account with another email. I haven't done it in a while so the method for doing so has probably changed. I imagine this is something someone has written a guide for.

Once a second iTunes account is made, you can easily log out and log back in the iTunes/App stores and charge your Japanese iTunes accounts with prepaid codes from Japan-Codes or other websites. (You likely won't be able to add money to it any other way, unfortunately.)

Ah gotcha. Will downloads be accessible locally regardless of which iTunes account I'm signed in with? Or would I have to switch back and forth when I want to listen to media purchased using a Japanese account?

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Ah gotcha. Will downloads be accessible locally regardless of which iTunes account I'm signed in with? Or would I have to switch back and forth when I want to listen to media purchased using a Japanese account?
Any content on your device is usable regardless of which account is currently logged in. You end up having to switch accounts if you need to download updates or IAP though.

The logged in user is also separate from your iCloud/Find my iPhone/iPad setting, which remains attached to the account you set it up with. Restoring from an iCloud backup will actually attempt to restore all content regardless of which account it is attached to (you'll be prompted to log in to every account during the restore process).

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Kuroko's Basketball Last Game
The first 15 minutes or so of setting up the extremely evil opponents didn't do much for me but after that this was pretty solid. About what you'd expect from a team up. Everyone gets their spots.

Last 10 minutes were a nice conclusion to the series (even more so than the one we got in the series proper).

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty interesting.

"Every year, the Twitter Trend Awards give out a prize to the most-tweeted words on the social media platform. Last year, Kemono Friends was dubbed Anime of the Year, leading to director TATSUKI accepting the award while wearing a penguin suit.

In the lead up to the award announcements on December 26, the Twitter Trend Awards account has been posting the most popular anime-related words on Twitter for each month. According to their tweets, the most popular words are as follows"

January

February
  • "I've been thinking about Hellshake Yano"
  • "Let's Meet At The Witch Assembly" (a tag for witch-themed art)
  • Zoids World
  • Pop Team Epic

March
  • Ojamajo Doremi Quiz
  • "A title you really want to see become an anime"
  • "Gundam lol" (Gundam Wing was rebroadcast on TV during this time, and the Japanese slang word for 'lol' is 'w')
  • "A rush of anime adaptations" (Refers to the anime announcements of Karakuri Circus, Muhyo & Roji's Bureau of Supernatural Investigation, Dorohedoro, etc.)

April

May

June

July

August

September

October
November
  • "Comiket costs money now"
  • Hypnosis Mic Final Battle
  • Sea Otter Pot (a reference to a dish featured in Golden Kamuy)
  • Yuki Yuna
  • Drifters

December
https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/in...ng-anime-words-for-each-month-in-2018/.140904

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Hero Mask - 1 to 7

I'm halfway through the series at this point and I've been enjoying it so far. It's not great but it's enjoyable enough, and some of the hand to hand fights look pretty good.

There's one thing I noticed a couple of episodes in though: the show is based in fucking London out of all places yet everyone is white. Since noticing it around episode 5 I've been keeping an eye out and I only found 1 (one) guy that could be nonwhite in episode 7. Maybe it'll change later, but so far it's pretty ridiculous.

Kuroko's Basketball Last Game
The first 15 minutes or so of setting up the extremely evil opponents didn't do much

Yeah that stuff is lame and reeks of xenophobia.

nintendoman58

Oct 25, 2017
This is pretty interesting.

"Every year, the Twitter Trend Awards give out a prize to the most-tweeted words on the social media platform. Last year, Kemono Friends was dubbed Anime of the Year, leading to director TATSUKI accepting the award while wearing a penguin suit.

In the lead up to the award announcements on December 26, the Twitter Trend Awards account has been posting the most popular anime-related words on Twitter for each month. According to their tweets, the most popular words are as follows"

November
  • Yuki Yuna
Aw yeah.

Nisaba

Oct 28, 2017
Canada
I just finished watching Little Witch Academia finally on Netflix and I really enjoyed it! I liked the different magical riddles and concepts each episode tackled and all the characters were fun to watch. The finale was very much Trigger being Trigger lol

Shiny Chariot is the best~ I really wouldn't mind more episodes just of them at the school getting into random adventures.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Wha?
Why isn't it in spring again.
Given how they are adapting it they shouldn't be to close to the manga as they adapt like 50 chapters a year and that is how many come out.

I haven't been following the manga since the anime has become regular, so I wonder if the next arc is a bigger one and they wanted to do it more in one 50 episode run?

as pushing it to oct means that 2 seasons later would be spring 2020 when normally we would expect season 5, so if they want to do it all in one run that would just carry through into one large season 4 instead of seasons 4 and 5?

Instro

Oct 25, 2017

eyes_1f440.png

For a second there I thought it had been 10 years since the anime started airing. Felt old for a minute.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Wha?
I haven't been following the manga since the anime has become regular, so I wonder if the next arc is a bigger one and they wanted to do it more in one 50 episode run?

The next arc is currently the longest that has happen so far in the manga, so it's gonna take up the entirety of s4 or at least make up the majority of it. The usually 24/25 episodes would fit well for this season.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That's really weird. Isn't Bones Studio C exclusively doing HeroAca these days?

Nope. Since they began to make MHA, they also made:

Bungo Stray Dogs, Show by Rock, Bungo Stray Dogs 2, Mob Psycho, Kekkai Sensen S2, Hisone to Masotan and in 2019 they will make Bungo Stray Dogs 3, Carole and Tuesday and Mob Psycho S2.

Wha?
Why isn't it in spring again.
Given how they are adapting it they shouldn't be to close to the manga as they adapt like 50 chapters a year and that is how many come out.

as pushing it to oct means that 2 seasons later would be spring 2020 when normally we would expect season 5, so if they want to do it all in one run that would just carry through into one large season 4 instead of seasons 4 and 5?

There's one confirmed reason: Mix anime adaptation is on the MHA timeslot for Spring so there's no place for Toho to put it.

The other which it's my theory, is that Bones and the companies are doing that because Hiro is doing 15 pages per chapter for months now so there's less content to adapt so they will give it more time considering that they lost their timeslot.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

Bungo Stray Dogs, Show by Rock, Bungo Stray Dogs 2, Mob Psycho, Kekkai Sensen S2, Hisone to Masotan and in 2019 they will make Bungo Stray Dogs 3, Carole and Tuesday and Mob Psycho S2.

There's one confirmed reason: Mix anime adaptation is on the MHA timeslot for Spring so there's no place for Toho to put it.

The other which it's my theory, is that Bones and the companies are doing that because Hiro is doing 15 pages per chapter for months now so there's less content to adapt so they will give it more time considering that they lost their timeslot.
I guess that makes sense, and really a year off isn't the end of the world.

season 4 airs until spring 2019, and season 5 starts spring 2020 then?

I guess we will see. At the very least I have chihayafuru and fruits basket to hold me over until more hero aca.

psyer

Oct 27, 2017

That is just all the shows Bones has done in general. Bones has multiple sub-studios.

Seems like Studio A is doing Carole & Tuesday, Studio B is Mob Psycho 2 , Studio D is Bungo Stray Dogs 3, and Studio E is the Eureka 7 movies. Studio C is My Hero Academia.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/10/27/bones-20th-anniversary-what-lies-in-the-future/

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That is just all the shows Bones has done in general. Bones has multiple sub-studios.

Seems like Studio A is doing Carole & Tuesday, Studio B is Mob Psycho 2 , Studio D is Bungo Stray Dogs 3, and Studio E is the Eureka 7 movies. Studio C is My Hero Academia.

https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/10/27/bones-20th-anniversary-what-lies-in-the-future/

Of course. Just listing what the studio did in general as those sub studios are pretty much the same company divided in groups at Bones, not different companies.

Last edited:

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California

All those titles are under Bones, but underneath they have 5 sub-studios working on different projects. iirc, HisoMaso was sub-studio A and Mob Psycho is sub-studio B. And for the past couple years sub-studio C has been entirely devoted to HeroAca, which is why it's weird that they're taking a full year on season 4 with no other projects.

Last edited:

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
TG :re 22
CbWewh9.jpg

NnJHWDq.jpg

"Domo, I'm kagune monster-san"

Maybe the best episode yet as for once the more pensive scenes are not completely garbage, given a bit of breathing time and even sport a nice shot or two. Of course when action came, they made Kaneki exude a freakin SSJ4 tier aura blast and made his kagune into some Eurekish butterfly but you've got to count your blessings with shows like these.

Last edited:

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Tsurune 1-4

Why are all characters named Kacchan just straight up assholes?

This show looks and sounds good like typical KyoAni but honestly I felt quite bored these few episodes. I dont know if its because archery isn't as interesting or if the characters are mediocre. Perhaps both.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Whoa, the studio for the Vtuber anime was new and opened to focus on animes like that. Interesting.

"Media and telecommunications company Dwango, animation Studio Khara, media company Kadokawa, entertainment agency INCS toenter, and media company Asobi System Holdings announced on Tuesday that they established a new production studio named Lide through a joint venture on December 14. The new studio will focus on producing virtual anime and virtual characters. Daisuke Yokosawa, the chief content officer of Dwango, is serving as Lide's president, and the company has 100 million yen (about US$900,000) in capital, including capital reserve.

The studio's first project is the Virtual-san wa Miteiru (Virtualsan-Looking) television anime about virtual YouTubers or VTubers — characters popularized via videos on streaming services and user-generated content sites. Dwango unveiled the anime on Tuesday, during the same event that announced Lide. Anime director and Khara founder Hideaki Anno contributed ideas to the anime, and Yokosawa serves as the project's executive producer. Shinnosuke Suzuki, a deputy director general for new business development at Dwango and a board director of Lide, is serving as production producer on the anime."

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/ne...obi-establish-lide-studio-for-vtubers/.141004

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm a bit behind but...

Bloom into You - 09

God dayum! That's the kind of kissing scene and intimacy that you just about never find in romance anime. Kudos on that and another well done episode.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, Run With The Wind is freakin fantastic. Kinda upset I slept on this but it allowed me to binge the entire cour a few bursts. This really came from behind to lead my AOTS list.

Any content on your device is usable regardless of which account is currently logged in. You end up having to switch accounts if you need to download updates or IAP though.

The logged in user is also separate from your iCloud/Find my iPhone/iPad setting, which remains attached to the account you set it up with. Restoring from an iCloud backup will actually attempt to restore all content regardless of which account it is attached to (you'll be prompted to log in to every account during the restore process).

Awesome, this is great to hear! I'll keep this in mind for future purchases. Thankfully, the OST for Run With The Wind became available on Spotify, as is most of Yuki Hayashi's OSTs.

Last edited:

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Seishun Buta Yarō wa Bunny Girl-senpai no Yume wo Minai 12

Well, that was a weird ending, guess that Sakuta started being fond with the new Kaede, so it shocked me to see him so sad that the older self returned like nothing happened.

And I thought that this series ended today and that the movie would be next, but it's ok, I could watch more episodes

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Bunny girl Episode 12

Well I will be damned. The whole "weird big brother thing" paid of tremendously, seeing as all Kaede knows only came from TV and what people told her so to see her act like those weird sisters in modern anime makes sense. A nice twist.

Glad the whole idol thing never evolved like I thought, fresh from replaying every Yakuza game on PS4 I was expecting it to happen. Next episode should be interesting seeing as Sakuta looked shocked at Kaede returning to how she was before and how it will affect the other characters.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I can kind of agree with you on some of the character moments from the first major arc of S2 and by the end it does come off more as growth moments for both Shiroe and Akatsuki as they (a fair amount of characters) show how socially inept they can be and only ever interacted with people through a video game. Shiroe finally opening up a bit with the raid team as well as his own guild was a great moment, same with the encounter with Demicas at the end of that arc. The Akatsuki stuff does have a great payoff too during the actual raid, with some character growth for most of the main players.

The oddity with people downplaying their actual old lives in the real world probably has to do with Elder Tales being an escape for most of these characters. Shiroe and his issues at home and making connections in the real world, William's issues with peers' reactions to him playing an MMO, Reise's issues with making real friends, Isuzu's baggage related to her and her father, the raid guild as a whole dedicating their whole lives to a video game...everyone has some real world issues they'd like to avoid talking about, even if that still remains an end goal. I think the rest of it deals with characters probably trying to avoid thinking about the lives they may never actually get back to, being too busy to really focus on their past, and the author coming up with meaningful backstories.

You know what this show really lacks tho? More of Kanami's team on the China server. One episode and you can easily tell why she and her group are fucking badass and it introduces a new enemy type that ties back into the changes happening in the world. Serious...give me like a whole season with Kanami. At least the B-team quest after that is far more interesting and deep than I remember. Isuzu and Rudy's arc here is not only great, but it's an absolute amazing way to tie everything back to the game's soundtrack. Same with Roe2 and the Odyssey Knights.

Log Horizon s2 episode i dunno 6-END

Finished watching the rest of it. It's sad to say but S2 really does falter quite a lot compared to S1 and I think a lot of that is that the pacing is totally all over the shop. Characters (the Minami gang) appear out of nowhere and act like you've known them the whole time and then fuck off again. It actually still holds up surprisingly well in the moment, but the wait time between and thinking stuff is cool while it's happening and going 'wait, I've literally no idea who they are' shortens significantly.

The really quite uninspired animation doesn't help, nor does the fact that Shiroe's aims are a lot more intangible this time around, as are the plots of the enemies. Actually Rudy and Isuzu's travel plot with Roe2 and the 'NPC Storyteller' ends up being the strongest part of the whole season because it's focused around a traditional quest structure and lets the character moments breath around that.

Akatsuki gets in a lot more focus and seems like she's in a good place by the end, as does Naotsugu and Marielle (and Tetra to some extent – surprising she doesn't get a proper focus episode?). I do like the show basically says yeah, this is the designated couple, Minori's side is just drama. Still because she doesn't operate on the political level she kind of just ends up being Shiroe's bodyguard for most of the season again, which kinda blows.

Anyway the real sin of S2 is that it doesn't hold much in the way of massive revelations about the world or changing it in the way S1 does, apart from the geniuses storyline which is left unresolved. I doubt at this point we'll ever get an s3, which blows, because the show's mystery writing about the relationship between the two worlds and the game is still probably my favourite part of it all.

In any case, time to watch something with rather better animation just to cleanse my head from some of the really egregiously basic stuff in LH.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bunny girl Episode 12

Well I will be damned. The whole "weird big brother thing" paid of tremendously, seeing as all Kaede knows only came from TV and what people told her so to see her act like those weird sisters in modern anime makes sense. A nice twist.

Glad the whole idol thing never evolved like I thought, fresh from replaying every Yakuza game on PS4 I was expecting it to happen. Next episode should be interesting seeing as Sakuta looked shocked at Kaede returning to how she was before and how it will affect the other characters.

The whole idol thing never existed because Mai isn't a idol, she's a actress and those don't have any of those things to them. It was pretty much a paparazzi thing with people looking into her personal life (affecting them her and everyone involved) with her then making what she made to announce the things and stop rumors and people to look into her personal life.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Rascal and Bunny Senpai 12
There's more episodes?! Joyous news! Some of the stuff in this one hit a little close to home but I'm curious to see how everyone, including Kaede, is going to handle the return of OG Kaede.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Rascal and Bunny Senpai 12
There's more episodes?! Joyous news! Some of the stuff in this one hit a little close to home but I'm curious to see how everyone, including Kaede, is going to handle the return of OG Kaede.

Considering that it's amnesia, the amnesic Kaede is probably never coming back now that the real one recovered the memories.

And yeah, it's 13 episodes. Then in 2019 the movie will adapt volumes 6 and 7 with Shouko's Arc and then some years without nothing since the LN is on volume 9 (and who knows if something will come after the movie)

Oct 25, 2017
Awkward word choice for Hide in Tokyo Ghoul, am quite sure if you "really like the guy" then you basically love him, so am confused why they'd just have him say he loved Kaneki. Very disappointing.

Oh well, Hide reconfirmed for the best character.

Pacing still feels so fast.

Painguy

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
California
Just watched Made In Abyss. I'm very sad right now. I wanna try watching Girl's Last Tour but I'm already very upset. Convince me not to watch it. I need some xanax yo.

Status
Not open for further replies.