• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Today's Menu for the Emiya Family 10
A fun little episode showcasing some of the smaller side characters from Homurahara Academy, like the track girl trio from Fate/hollow ataraxia and Shirou's senpai from the archery club, Mitsuzuri. Framing the chance to see them as the school prepares for a festival in the fall was a nice idea, as was choosing not to base the cooking on a particular class' idea for the event but rather Shirou being Shirou and going overboard for Issei and the student council. I wouldn't mind getting the chance to try making my own fried chicken based on the recipe here in the future if I ever get my own deep fat fryer, as this doesn't look like it would be all that difficult to do. Another fun episode, though this one is definitely more for fans of Fate/Stay Night's extended school cast with the cooking taking a distinct backseat this time.

Oct 25, 2017
Yugioh Arc V

Yuya's speeches are becoming annoying. Despite that, the series is a massive improvement over Zexal.
Yeah that whole underground arc, kept ARCV from being in my top YGO, it lasted kind of too long and he just stayed the same for so long.

-

ZeXaL thought its up there probably tried with 5D's for me. Also best dub. and best protagonist. I love Yuuma FEELIN THE FLOW Tsukumo.

And when the Ray Way revealed who he truly was to Yuuma is still one of the most surprising and shocking moments in all anime for me.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Oh, the first episode of the slime anime aired today. Going to check it out later tonight.

People burned out from isekai should check this one out. Doesn't get very haremy like the two smartphone ones.

ArmsofSleep

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Washington DC

Finished Asobi Asobase and just have to watch MHA from the other night, and that will finish my anime season (well, and Banana Fish concluding).

The only other thing I watched was Planet With.

Fun little season, I didn't adore anything but didn't dislike anything either (althought I definitely have issues with Planet With). Still trying to get my sea legs when it comes to watching anime regularly but these threads really help, especially seeing what people are excited about this season.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy Season 2, Episode 1:

I look forward to the renewed debates on if this show is anime or not. That aside, yea, it is indeed a new season of Thunderbolt Fantasy, doesn't seem like it has missed a beat in any category at the start.
I still don't even understand why there is a debate.
it's stop motion, not animated.
and it's not even made in japan last I checked.
Avatar the last airbender is way more of an anime as it is at least animated and parts are done my studios that have worked on anime.

I really should finish watching the first season of the puppet show though.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 - 1
IT'S BACK! So obvious he was going to get fucked somehow leaving the scroll there.

Reincarnated as a Slime - 1
First episode was enjoyable, could be fun stuff. Kinda fucked he's probably going to ingest a human body to gain his human form

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't even understand why there is a debate.
it's stop motion, not animated.
and it's not even made in japan last I checked.
Avatar the last airbender is way more of an anime as it is at least animated and parts are done my studios that have worked on anime.

I really should finish watching the first season of the puppet show though.
Stop motion is a type of animation, but this isn't stop motion. It's live action with some cgi. They showed how they made it in a video. Also, most anime is largely not made in Japan aside from some keywork and direction and decision making.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Stop motion is a type of animation, but this isn't stop motion. It's live action with some cgi. They showed how they made it in a video. Also, most anime is largely not made in Japan aside from some keywork and direction and decision making.
fine... it's live action then. it's still not animation in any traditional sense of the word that is used for the term Anime.
and a lot of the decision making is done by a Taiwanese company not Japanese.
heck it's not even on My Anime List as far as I can tell :P

I mean it's almost like calling Call of Duty a JRPG once it hits Japan because it got a Japanese voice over and was released by square enix and it has levels :P

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime-1
D6A0qsFl.jpg

Surprisingly good direction for what I assume was bland source material. You can tell the director put a lot of thought into how things are visually represented. The second half does get bogged down a bit in exposition but the conversation with the dragon was fun. Much better than I anticipated.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2 E1

Leaving your UBW in the hands of a nation of jobbers, real smart Shang.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
fine... it's live action then. it's still not animation in any traditional sense of the word that is used for the term Anime.
and a lot of the decision making is done by a Taiwanese company not Japanese.
heck it's not even on My Anime List as far as I can tell :P

I mean it's almost like calling Call of Duty a JRPG once it hits Japan because it got a Japanese voice over and was released by square enix and it has levels :P
I mean it's not technically anime, I agree

rockinreelin

Oct 27, 2017

It's back baby, yes! Pretty obvs to me that Enigmatic Gale and Shang Bu are playing a long con game here. You know shit's going to come together in the end in a glorious way.

RedHoodedOwl

Nov 3, 2017
Yeah that whole underground arc, kept ARCV from being in my top YGO, it lasted kind of too long and he just stayed the same for so long.

-

ZeXaL thought its up there probably tried with 5D's for me. Also best dub. and best protagonist. I love Yuuma FEELIN THE FLOW Tsukumo.

And when the Ray Way revealed who he truly was to Yuuma is still one of the most surprising and shocking moments in all anime for me.

The way Arc-V handled the secondary villain and characters like Celina and Ruri is so disappointing.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Leaving your UBW in the hands of a nation of jobbers, real smart Shang.
I think his idea was to put it in a place where they wouldn't think to look since they'd expect him to keep it on his person. The main issue was they were already there at that point so they saw him handing it off

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I think his idea was to put it in a place where they wouldn't think to look since they'd expect him to keep it on his person. The main issue was they were already there at that point so they saw him handing it off
Yes but the giant, impregnable fortress of (jobber) guardians of demonic swords and what not doesn't exactly scream inconspicuous to me. Even if the place supposed to be a secret of sorts, if those baddies are supposed to be as threatening as they've been described as. it follows that they would catch the wind of such a place. Not really a big complaint so much as a nitpick.

Oct 25, 2017

While there is a great deal of outsourcing that happens in anime, I would say the bulk of anime is still largely made in Japan. There are some exceptions in which Korean and now sometimes Chinese outsourcing or co-production end up doing the bulk of a TV series - Madhouse is especially fond of Korean outsourcing, for example - and now we've got foreign animators being individually contracted as freelancers in productions such as Revue Starlight. But still, in most productions, most of the work will be handled by various studios and freelancers located in Japan.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime-1
D6A0qsFl.jpg

Surprisingly good direction for what I assume was bland source material. You can tell the director put a lot of thought into how things are visually represented. The second half does get bogged down a bit in exposition but the conversation with the dragon was fun. Much better than I anticipated.

It isn't. Both the manga adaptation and LN are very good.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2 - 01

I was kinda expecting a reveal that Enigmatic Gale and Shang worked together and set a trap for the Cruel Princess as leaving the Index there like that seemed too obviously flawed. But as rockinreelin says, maybe there is a plan, just a more elaborate one.

In any case, a fine start. I'm a bit worried about the power creep, as Shang's former friends and enemies all crossed the spirit lands, too, but hope they manage to keep it all intriguing.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 1

Okay this was stupidly fun. Isekai may be the worst thing ever but it can still be enjoyable. Adding this to the shows I'm watching this season.

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
I just kinda enjoyed Shang being 'low-key' overpowered throughout season 1. Though, for all I know he might still be significantly stronger than everyone else once more, though it seems unlikely.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
That time I got reincarnated into a slime - 01

A man's dying wish is to have his hard drive deleted... Seems legit.

That was a fun first episode please stay this fun for 24 episodes.

Can't wait till tomorrow because I can finally talk about Fist of the North Star without going into some form of depression. :/

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2 - 01

Puppets of the Season have arrived!
"Anyone have an idea for a season 2 storyline?"
"How about Shang fucks up and leaves his Item of Super Dangerous Danger in the hand of a bunch of jobbers?"
"Genius!"
Though with Enigmatic Gale entering the picture towards the end there might as well be some super convoluted long con going on here - I'm crazy excited regardless.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Yes but the giant, impregnable fortress of (jobber) guardians of demonic swords and what not doesn't exactly scream inconspicuous to me. Even if the place supposed to be a secret of sorts, if those baddies are supposed to be as threatening as they've been described as. it follows that they would catch the wind of such a place. Not really a big complaint so much as a nitpick.
Well Shang was banking on two things. The first is that the people hunting him would assume that he still has the scroll on him thus solely going after Shang. The second was that the fortress wouldn't flaunt that they had the scroll so even if somebody realized that Shang didn't have the scroll that they would have had no idea when he dumped it.

It's not a bad plan but the problem was that Scorpion Lady was already in town and had been following him for awhile.

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Slime Isekai - 01

I'm a fan of the source material and was curious how this adaption was going to turn out.
Suffice to say, this was way, way better than anything I expected. There's some really creative direction going on, the anime is slick and full of energy, and it was just... a lot of fun.
The second half gets a bit bogged down by exposition, but it was still bearable and had good scenes in-between.
This was on my "I'll check it out but I don't really have any big hopes and could likely drop it after a few episodes, since I've read the source anyway", but it certainly shot up my list quite a bit.
Looking forward to more.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Tada Never Falls in Love episode 1 dub

The accents are weird, but the dub is pretty solid.

Oct 25, 2017
I always thought Shang was kind of a Oshino Meme or Sans type of guy who is too lazy to actually do anything despite their own ridiculous abilities. Like he's strong but its still a lot of work to be assed to do something despite having the energy to play 12d chess all the time

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So far the Slime anime seems better than I expected. Hopefully it's good throughout it's run since I enjoy the original source material a lot.

Oyashiro-Sama

Oct 27, 2017
Slime Isekai - 01

That was better than I hoped it would be. Big fan of the Manga so I'm glad that the anime looks to be of high quality. Hopefully, it keeps it up.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Ake... Akena... Akanesasu Shoujo - 01

zzZZZzz

It's as boring and generic a first episode can get and it reminds me of that Vermillion show last season where it throws action scenes after I stopped caring, ah well at least I'll get some early shut-eye now.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Double Decker! 1

That was a pretty fun first episode. I liked the gimmick it had going on with the narration, and it was briskly paced with lots of energy and a strong sense of fun.

The show immediately reminded me of Tiger & Bunny in a number of ways, and sure enough it's apparently supposed to be something of a spiritual sequel to that, featuring the same character designer at the same studio working with a bunch of the same staff. If only they'd managed to get an Orion wo Nazoru-tier OP, it would've been perfect, but I guess I'll have to wait until tomorrow for my Unison Square Garden fix.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
Just when you think the isekai genre is dead the otaku protagonist turns into a slime blob. Huh.

This shit was pretty funny.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Akanesasu Shoujo 1

Well, that was…interesting. Colour me intrigued.

Dimensional travel powered by a Walkman though? Really? XD

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Revue Starlight [END]
And the curtain falls. Despite the struggles, the finale was very good, with a thematically appropriate ending for Karen and Hikari. The giraffe's true nature was to be expected, but I still loved all the 4th wall breaking.

While people seem to mention the production of this anime a lot, I honestly think that the series was mostly fine. Yes, the staff credits are long and yes, some episodes were pretty bland, like the big 2 vs 2 fight, which ended up as a big disappointment. As far as I understand, even the good episodes aren't what the people behind it wanted, as they had to tone them down. Despite all that, the series didn't look as rough as you'd expect and it still managed to deliver some really good action highlights. Even outside of the action, I found Revue Starlight to have a lot of charm, it really feels like one of those cases where people really liked making the anime and it shows. And it's not just the revues, but the characters themselves. All of them are well realized and even if the play a supporting role, a lot of them are really "shining". I'd even admit that I didn't care that much for the main duo, the interactions between Claudine and Maya or Kaoruko and Futaba or Banana and Junna, felt more natural and I really enjoyed them. My main complaint might as well be that show wasn't about any of them.

While it's definitely not Utena, and it doesn't have to be, it's a series that blends mundane and extraordinary things together in the same way, with the characters trying to stand out in meaningless duels. I thought it was one of the strongest shows on the past season, despite some of its weaknesses. I almost thought of dropping this at first, but episode 5 with its very quirky revue, episode 6 with the best girl and episodes 7-8 with the darker tone are what ultimately redeemed it for me.

Hanebado [END]

The match itself had a phenomenal conclusion, the rest of the episode looked a bit rough though. I'm going to miss Ayanon and her attitude. The mom got away safe though.

The anime seems to be controversial, but I'm on the camp that really enjoyed it. It's a well animated sports anime with girls and a very good protagonist, what's not to like.

Slime anime 1

More or less an introduction to the slime itself, but the dialogues were fun. The slime is cuter than I thought. The OP was pretty great.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Tensei Shitara Slime Datta Ken 1

Well, that's easily the best first episode of an isekai show I've seen since Re:Zero. Might actually even be better than Re:Zero's first episode in some respects, and that's high praise in my books since I loved that show dearly.

Not sure where it's going to go from here - with the OP suggesting that Slime-kun is going to get a human form soon enough, it's easy to imagine it settling into a relatively generic isekai path, but if it keeps up this level of writing/direction/general execution, even a generic isekai story would probably be pretty damn enjoyable. Short of some kind of serious downturn in the coming episodes, I already feel pretty confident this is going to be a highlight of the season.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Just when you think the isekai genre is dead the otaku protagonist turns into a slime blob. Huh.

This shit was pretty funny.

He's not a otaku tho

Ake... Akena... Akanesasu Shoujo - 01

zzZZZzz

It's as boring and generic a first episode can get and it reminds me of that Vermillion show last season where it throws action scenes after I stopped caring, ah well at least I'll get some early shut-eye now.

Akanesasu Shoujo 1

Well, that was…interesting. Colour me intrigued.

Dimensional travel powered by a Walkman though? Really? XD

What difference haha Akanesasu Shoujo in that case have Uchikoshi which is the scenario writer of the Zero Escape series and Ever17 doing the original concept of the series. It was what made me interested, beyond the artstyle/character designs.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Aiming to catch up:
Starlight Revue
Planet With
Cells at Work
Hanebado

Anything else I should add to my watch list from last season?

Status
Not open for further replies.