• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Zombieland Saga - 10

On one hand I'm dissapointed it's sole focus was on Sakura and not Yugiri even though she does have a more prominent role, I enjoyed the episode overall but with not many episodes left outside of Tae *ahem*. THE LEGENDARY TAE YAMADA death being a hilarious footnote like "she chased the dog off a cliff, the end" I wonder how they're going to close out the season.

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I take it you want recs in general and you don't need them to be at this sale ? With that caveat:

Fate/Zero - perhaps a bit rote rec but still necessary one if you haven't seen it.
Mononoke - superb set of stories about Japanese ghost buster.
Afro Samurai - Feels like it belongs here, given the Drifter and Hellsing mentions. Doesn't overstay its welcome, packs some superb fighting scenes and more blood than you can fit in an olympic pool.

Below some series a bit at odds with your picks in that they're slower, with less or no action in them.
Mouryou no Hako - Occult murder mystery in 50's (60's ?) Japan.
Mushishi - It's Mushishi
House of Five Leaves - Slow and thoughtful samurai drama.
Shin Sekai Yori
Shigurui - Blood n'Guts samurai drama. Warning for extremely extreme content within. And the 'read the manga ending'.
Mind Game -

--------
Maybe Kemonozume also. With the caveat that it sort of goes bonkers with Yuasa unable to properly weigh its drama&comedy ratio and that you need to be able to handle the chara designs and general visual style.

Well in a sense the stuff I want to see doesn't necessarily have to be super violent in the case of Hellsing or Drifters.

I'll admit Ninja Scroll was my first experience with Anime back in 1996 mind you, which expanded to other films like Ghost in the Shell and Akira, and then I saw Patlabor and Ranma 1/2 for the first time and that was a huge influence on my tastes as well.

I don't mind the occasional shonen / boy adventure / action fight series every now and then, but I prefer something a bit more mature that covers some subject matter that won't typically ever be encountered in a Shonen anime that consists mainly of a coming of age story or a group of heroes fighting evil. Case in point the more psychological / metaphysical aspects in Ghost in the Shell typically aren't present in most shonen shows. Nor is there many lead characters the fall on the much darker end of the moral compass as in the case of Code Geass or Hellsing. Maybe I'm not looking for Seinen series but stuff that just is just "different" from the typical DBZ, Naruto, or One Piece.

I also have a preference for complete series so I don't necessarily mind waiting for a series to finish first before I just buy it the entire series, which may explain my hesitance in picking up the Overlord seasons because the structure of the anime catching up at pace with the Light Novels that may or may not lead to a 4th season.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Just wrapped S1 of Log Horizon again. The last 3 eps of S1 yeah really kinda just fall off a cliff, or more kindly are really banking on your enjoyment of the last two arcs, or maybe it reveals how important resolving satisfactorily is to the overall enjoyment of an arc.

I don't know what they were doing - I can't tell if it finished halfway through an arc they quickly repurposed as a 'and then the adventure continues!' or they tried to cram an arc into 3,4 episodes and failed. The last half of episode 25 in particular is just a conversation between Shiroe and The Antagonist which almost completely comes out of nowhere (they were good enough to hint at her existance beforehand, I guess) where they talk in weird mysterious circles. It's one of those scenes where you trust that Shiroe knows what he's doing because they pull it off all the time, where the characters have more information than the reader, but then they don't pull it off at the end so it kind of just comes down to "Uhhhh I guess they know what's going on? Idk"

Now, I literally don't remember anything about S2 except there was an episode in a TV station or something and then another episode that followed the old Tea Party leader around China or something, so going back to rewatch that should be pretty fun!
Since I haven't ready the LNs I couldn't tell you what they did with the end of S1, but I think it does add some interest to how the interactions between People of the Land had changed as well as giving Shiroe a situation that lacks any specific logic. I think my biggest issue ended up being the forced love triangle that I'm still not even sure why it exists. Admiration as opposed to actual love for a character trying to be a more competent person?

The final scene I liked to help setup the mystery of a larger plot, even if too much of it was left unexplained. I think the pieces are there to help the viewer make sense of who she is and why she's interested in Shiroe and his past, what with Minami being brought up several as well as Shiroe's contact, though it could have been a bit more telegraphed in places to really clue you in on why that conversation actually mattered.

The episode you are talking about is at the end of the season, related to
getting a satellite dish or radio tower up and running to communicate with the moon(?) and other parts of the game world
It's super weird but ties into some other reveals that occur during the season. I think the biggest problems people had with it outside of drop in animation quality was that almost every arc felt like a B-plot line due to how they were paced out over the season.

I haven't gone back to it since Sunday, but I might try and tackle more of S2 this weekend. I definitely know there are some arcs I've mostly forgotten as well as specific character motivations.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
My beginner adventure through anime continues!

Finished up Steins;Gate and S;G 0, and long story short, it was one of my favorite pieces of entertainment ever, period.

More than anything else, I found the exact "recipe" that I think I'm looking for: story, cast, and music. If an anime is strong in those 3 things, there's a good chance I'll love it.

Any gems you guys recommend that are specifically strong in those 3 areas? Steins:Gate and Attack on Titan are the prime examples for me right now.

eklesp

Nov 7, 2017

Finished up Steins;Gate and S;G 0, and long story short, it was one of my favorite pieces of entertainment ever, period.

More than anything else, I found the exact "recipe" that I think I'm looking for: story, cast, and music. If an anime is strong in those 3 things, there's a good chance I'll love it.

Any gems you guys recommend that are specifically strong in those 3 areas? Steins:Gate and Attack on Titan are the prime examples for me right now.

SG is one of my fav anime. I felt lost during SG0 though, even though it was really good.
Recent favorites of mine are Made in Abyss, Land of the Lustrous, and One Punch Man if you have not seen it yet.
Not sure what recipe you are talking about, time travel?

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
SG is one of my fav anime. I felt lost during SG0 though, even though it was really good.
Recent favorites of mine are Made in Abyss, Land of the Lustrous, and One Punch Man if you have not seen it yet.
Not sure what recipe you are talking about, time travel?
I haven't seen any of those, but I've heard great things about One Punch Man.

And sorry, all I meant by "recipe" was the combination of story, characters, and music. Those 3 things seem to be what reel me in.

Stuff like animation quality and action scenes are all secondary.

Oct 25, 2017
Well in a sense the stuff I want to see doesn't necessarily have to be super violent in the case of Hellsing or Drifters.

I'll admit Ninja Scroll was my first experience with Anime back in 1996 mind you, which expanded to other films like Ghost in the Shell and Akira, and then I saw Patlabor and Ranma 1/2 for the first time and that was a huge influence on my tastes as well.

I don't mind the occasional shonen / boy adventure / action fight series every now and then, but I prefer something a bit more mature that covers some subject matter that won't typically ever be encountered in a Shonen anime that consists mainly of a coming of age story or a group of heroes fighting evil. Case in point the more psychological / metaphysical aspects in Ghost in the Shell typically aren't present in most shonen shows. Nor is there many lead characters the fall on the much darker end of the moral compass as in the case of Code Geass or Hellsing. Maybe I'm not looking for Seinen series but stuff that just is just "different" from the typical DBZ, Naruto, or One Piece.

I also have a preference for complete series so I don't necessarily mind waiting for a series to finish first before I just buy it the entire series, which may explain my hesitance in picking up the Overlord seasons because the structure of the anime catching up at pace with the Light Novels that may or may not lead to a 4th season.

Watch Garo the Animation and thank me later.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio

7965._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Watch the series and then watch the movie Rebellion. All on Netflix.

I'd also suggest A Place Further Than the Universe, Planet With, and depending on you constitution, Devilman Crybaby. That's at least a few good ones from this year that come to mind.

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017
Wow, first time I forgot to post in an anime thread in about 9-10 years I guess?
Just popping in to say hi. lol

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Wow, first time I forgot to post in an anime thread in about 9-10 years I guess?
Just popping in to say hi. lol
Who are you

and what's your opinion on Kobayashi's role in Tokyo Ghoul :re.

Bunny Girl 10

Some of the previous arc denouements also leaned that way but this was just Okada tier, overdramatic and schlocky resolution. yuck.

Last edited:

firehawk12

Oct 25, 2017

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
I haven't seen any of those, but I've heard great things about One Punch Man.

And sorry, all I meant by "recipe" was the combination of story, characters, and music. Those 3 things seem to be what reel me in.

Stuff like animation quality and action scenes are all secondary.

I'm going to recommend Haikyuu. Good story, LOVABLE characters, and amazing soundtracks. Also, go watch A Place Further Than the Universe, Land of the Lustrous, Made in Abyss.

Oct 25, 2017
GioGio 10

Honestly, Aerosmith to L'il Bomber might be the worst name change in the series. Maybe Sex Pistols to Six Bullets is slightly worse but its one of those two.

I kinda like the role swap in this fight where the villain is being hunted and trying to figure out what the protagonists stand does since the villains stand is rather obvious.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017

March Comes in like a Lion

Thank me later.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Since I haven't ready the LNs I couldn't tell you what they did with the end of S1, but I think it does add some interest to how the interactions between People of the Land had changed as well as giving Shiroe a situation that lacks any specific logic. I think my biggest issue ended up being the forced love triangle that I'm still not even sure why it exists. Admiration as opposed to actual love for a character trying to be a more competent person?

The final scene I liked to help setup the mystery of a larger plot, even if too much of it was left unexplained. I think the pieces are there to help the viewer make sense of who she is and why she's interested in Shiroe and his past, what with Minami being brought up several as well as Shiroe's contact, though it could have been a bit more telegraphed in places to really clue you in on why that conversation actually mattered.

The episode you are talking about is at the end of the season, related to
getting a satellite dish or radio tower up and running to communicate with the moon(?) and other parts of the game world
It's super weird but ties into some other reveals that occur during the season. I think the biggest problems people had with it outside of drop in animation quality was that almost every arc felt like a B-plot line due to how they were paced out over the season.

I haven't gone back to it since Sunday, but I might try and tackle more of S2 this weekend. I definitely know there are some arcs I've mostly forgotten as well as specific character motivations.

Oh yeah the stupid love triangle bit is really terrible. It's a good distraction as a way to lead into the conspiracy arc (which was set up great, except Malves appears like, once, and then gets immediately neutered) but honestly... like, if Minori had been older or Akatsuki younger it maybe could have worked better. That cake episode was a real challenge and I ended up skipping most of it.

Also Akatsuki really suffers from not actually doing anything for most of the arc and for the one preceeding it, which they acknowledge, but it makes this one (where she's centre-stage still not doing anything) even more bullshit.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Bunny Girl 10

I think I would have preferred the change back to be an unseen thing like everything else this show has done so far.

What would that even feel like? They didn't even seem to notice it happened, but I guess they have really similar physiques in the first place.

HououinKyouma

The Wise Ones
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
7965._SX360_QL80_TTD_.jpg

Watch the series and then watch the movie Rebellion. All on Netflix.

I'd also suggest A Place Further Than the Universe, Planet With, and depending on you constitution, Devilman Crybaby. That's at least a few good ones from this year that come to mind.
I'm going to recommend Haikyuu. Good story, LOVABLE characters, and amazing soundtracks. Also, go watch A Place Further Than the Universe, Land of the Lustrous, Made in Abyss.
March Comes in like a Lion

Thank me later.
Thanks for all the recommendations! Adding all of these to a list and will see which one interests me the most first.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
That Motoko design looks like it would fit a younger Motoko such as in Arise. lol

Momma Motoko was too old I guess.

Kansoku

Oct 25, 2017
My heart skipped a bit because that definitively seems to be Ilya Kuvshinov's art, but looks like it's unrelated to the news. Shame.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Welp, better get cracking on watching Stand Alone Complex. My house-mate has the DVDs and is moving out by the end of the month.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Bunny Senpai 9-10

Eh. Alright I guess.

I wish this show had an overarching plot instead of the phenomenon-of-the-week thing it's doing. I'm interested in seeing Kaede's arc getting a resolution.

My heart skipped a bit because that definitively seems to be Ilya Kuvshinov's art, but looks like it's unrelated to the news. Shame.

That's what I thought too. Would be awesome if they were involved with the project.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Bunny Senpai 9-10

Eh. Alright I guess.

I wish this show had an overarching plot instead of the phenomenon-of-the-week thing it's doing. I'm interested in seeing Kaede's arc getting a resolution.
Every arc was literally a self contained light novel in its own right originally. I think the pacing would feel more natural if they had spread out across double their planned episode count.

Don't forget there's a movie planned after the TV series wraps too.

Don Fluffles

Oct 28, 2017
FFVII Machinabridged 23 - Another episode that delivers the laughs and character development.
TANKCERATOOOOOOPS!!!

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Will be interesting to see if there's any stylistic progression to give one hope for the Blade Runner project or if it'll all just look like shit

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Bloom Into You 10

That feel when you finally get a text you've been waiting for, but it's a version update notification.

Princess Bubblegum

I'll be the one who puts you in the ground.
On Break
Oct 25, 2017
A Cavern Shaped Like Home
How's Hosoda's latest film Mirai? Just saw it was playing in theaters here.

Well, now you've convinced me, Netflix.

Oh, someone please put Ghost in the Shell out of its misery. Shinji Aramaki makes paint drying look entertaining and Kenji Kamiyama has already done enough harm to the franchise. It's 3DCG too? Fuck me. Oshii's animation career is rolling in its grave.

flipswitch

Oct 25, 2017
Can someone recommend me a good Anime that's on Netflix..for a newcomer.

I'm picking up where I left with Tokyo Ghoul episode 2. Should I continue?

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Radiant 10

Filler and flashbacks, this episode has it all lol

But the series finally starts for real next week:

Hyped for that. 11 episodes to adapt 3 volumes should be about the right length.

Grimm being voiced by Koyasu and referring to himself as 'kono Grimm' is just perfect as well.

Last edited:

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I really enjoyed Devilman Crybaby and Ajin (first season) on Netflix.

Devilman is not for the faint hearted though.

Last edited:

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Kuromukuro remains a good answer when it comes to Netflix recommendations

Also Aggretsuko.

Status
Not open for further replies.