• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
sLFfm3d.png

AOTY Voting Thread is up: https://www.resetera.com/threads/resetera-anime-of-the-year-2018-voting-thread-read-the-op-ends-midnight-january-31-est.90650/

Welcome to the Fall 2018 Anime OT, will this season somehow do the impossible and be worse than the summer season? Only time will tell! The following are some of the potential highlights for this Fall season of anime.

32qGGVz.png

1. JoJo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind
Director: Naokatsu Tsuda (JoJo Part 4)
Studio: David Production
Streaming Service (US): Crunchyroll
Trailer

The 5th instalment in Araki's JoJo's Bizarre Adventure franchise, this time we're going to Italy to be Gangsters!

2.IRODUKU : The World in Colors
Director: Toshiya Shinohara (Lull in the Sea and on Maquia as Assistant Director)
Studio: P.A. Works
Streaming Service (US): Amazon Prime
Trailer

We get to see Shinohara's directing chops with this romantic drama original project after having worked on Maquia which aired in theaters earlier this year.

3. Run with the Wind
Director: Kazuya Nomura (Joker Game)
Studio: Production I.G
Trailer

Once again Production I.G whether by choice or not is unable to do another season of Haikyuu, so here is another sports anime from them to attempt to fill that void. This running focused anime is an adaption of Shion Miura's novel, who previously had her Fume wo Amu/The Great Passage novel animated two years ago.

4. Release the Spyce
Director: Akira Sato
Studio: Lay-duce
Streaming Service (US): HIDIVE
Trailer

Last year we had Princess Principal to fill our spy girl needs, this year we have been given Release the Spyce. While the director hasn't had any directing roles before, the rest of the staff onboard for the project and the trailer released shows the potential for this show.

MY6SP4m.png

5. Thunderbolt Fantasy 2
Script: Gen Urobuchi (Puella Magi Madoka Magica and Original Creator of Fate/Zero)
Studio: It's a show about Puppets, what studio?
Trailer

The king has returned after 2 years of slumber, all hail the final form of anime Puppets.

6. Goblin Slayer
Director: Takaharu Ozaki (Girls Last Tour)
Studio: WHITE FOX
Streaming Service (US): Crunchyroll, Funimation (Dub)
Trailer

Best next thing to fill that Berserk hole in your heart left wide open after the last two CG disasters of the series. If you want violence, gore and other unnerving events then this may be for you depending on which version (LN or Manga) they decide to stick closer to.

7. Bloom Into You
Director: Makoto Katou (Sakurako-san no Ashimoto ni wa Shitai ga Umatteiru)
Studio: TROYCA
Streaming Service (US): HIDIVE
Trailer

A serious Yuri manga that's more drama then smut focused, should be an enjoyable show if the adaption is done right.

8. SSSS.GRIDMAN
Director: Akira Amemiya (Inferno Cop)
Studio: Trigger
Trailer

Maybe we all have Stockholm Syndrome when it comes to the subject of Trigger created anime. Even after the latest disaster they gave us just 9 months ago, we still have some hope somewhere deep inside that this show will be the one to capture that Gainex magic. Giant Mecha is all you need to know about this show.

F2pm9ao.png

9. Sword Art Online: Alicization
Director: Manabu Ono (The Irregular at Magic High School)
Studio: A-1 Pictures
Streaming Service (US): Crunchyroll, Hulu and Funimation (Dub)
Trailer

I'll keep this brief you either already know you like SAO and will watch this; or you already know you despise SAO and you will either hate watch it or ignore its existence.

10. Radiant
Director: Seiji Kishi (Jinrui wa Suitai Shimashita and Asobi Asobase)
Studio: Lerche
Trailer

French created Shounen Action Adventure manga, Vive la France!

11. That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime
Director: Yasuhito Kikuchi (Infinite Stratos and Macross Frontier)
Studio: 8-bit
Trailer

Why is an Isekai on this list? Because of the staff on this project, which includes Ebata who animated the train sequence from Princess Principal. Also, it seems that this is one of the better Isekai Light Novels, how good is good compared to the garbage pile that is the genre is a bit harder to say.

Karakuri Circus
Director: Satoshi Nishimura (Ushio & Tora and Ushio & Tora S2)
Studio: Studio VLON
Streaming Service (US): Amazon Prime
Trailer

Once again Nishimura is bringing another Kazuhiro Fujita manga from the tankobon to the TV. Will the same issues of cut content like with the Ushio & Tora Adaption appear again is yet to be determined; but don't be surprised if it does happen again especially if they are attempting to do a full adaption of the manga with just these 36 episodes.

Fall Schedule for NA Members, EST Times, Click the Streaming Site Logo to get to the Streaming Page! (98% of logos working.)

bDNE5Bj.png
= Crunchyroll,
dtk2mNe.png
=Funimation,
I5UwDNT.png
=HIDIVE,
HVoLXvf.png
=Amazon Prime
Sunday
Double Decker! Doug & Kirill 10AM
Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight 10:30AM
Double Decker! Doug & Kirill (Dub) 11:30AM
Anima Yell! 12PM
HIMOTE HOUSE: A share house of super psychic girls 12:45PM
Skull-face Bookseller Honda-san 1PM
dtk2mNe.png
Zombie Land Saga (Dub) 4PM
Monday
The Girl in Twilight 7:30AM
Thunderbolt Fantasy Season 2 9AM
Golden Kamuy Season 2 10AM
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime 11:30AM
Space Battleship Tiramisu ZWEI 1PM
Fist of the Blue Sky: Regenesis 2 1:30PM
Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary 3PM
Fairy Tail Final Season (Dub) 4PM
dtk2mNe.png
RErideD – Derrida, who leaps through time – (Dub) 4PM
That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime (Dub) 4PM
Tuesday
Tokyo Ghoul:re Season 2 (Sub) 11AM
Jingai-san no Yome 1PM
Run with the Wind 2:30PM
Tokyo Ghoul:re Season 2 (Dub) 4PM
Ace Attorney Season 2 (Dub) 4PM
Space Battleship Tiramisu ZWEI (Dub) 4PM
Wednesday
RErideD – Derrida, who leaps through time – 10AM
My Sister, My Writer 10:30AM
Between the Sky and Sea 12PM
Conception 1:30PM
Rascal Does Not Dream of Bunny Girl Senpai 2:50PM
A Certain Magical Index Season 3 (Dub) 4PM
Golden Kamuy Season 2 (Dub) 4PM
Thursday
Merc StoriA: The Apathetic Boy and the Girl in a Bottle 10:30AM
Zombie Land Saga 11:30AM
Karakuri Circus 12PMish
As Miss Beelzebub Likes. 2:50PM
Goblin Slayer 4PM (Dub)
Senran Kagura Season 2 4PM (Dub)
dtk2mNe.png
Ulysses: Jeanne d'Arc and the Alchemist Knight 4PM (Dub)
BAKUMATSU 5:30PM
Friday
Ms. Vampire who lives in my neighborhood. 9AM
Bloom Into You 10AM
Gurazeni Season 2 10:30AM
A Certain Magical Index Season 3 10:30AM
Hinomaru Sumo 11AM
DAIKAICHI! - I'm being harrassed by the sexiest man of the year! - 12:30PM
Jojo's Bizarre Adventure Part 5: Golden Wind 1:05PM
Boarding School Juliet 1:20PM-ish
IRODUKU : The World in Colors 1:50PM-ish
Senran Kagura Season 2 (Censored and Uncensored versions) 2:20PM
Gakuen Basara 9AM
Saturday
Ace Attorney Season 2 7AM
RADIANT 7:15AM
Goblin Slayer 12:30PM
Sword Art Online Alicization (Sub) 12:30PM (Crunchy), 1PM (Funi)
SSSS.GRIDMAN (Sub) 1:40PM
SSSS.GRIDMAN (Dub) 1:40PM
Release the Spyce 2:38PM
RADIANT (Dub) 4PM
Fairy Tail Final Season (Sub) 6:30PM
Netflix Time
Ingress: Wednesday the 17th...maybe...who knows.

Resources:
The Rest of What is Airing in Fall 2018
Schedule for Fall 2018 Animes
ResetEra Anime of the Year 2017 Results

Fall Season Show OT Threads: (PM me your thread if you create an OT for a specific show for this season)
Thunderbolt Fantasy 2 |OT| Yapping about swords once again
SSSS.GRIDMAN |OT| Trigger Dan Dan Trigger Dan Dan Kagayake
Sword Art Online: Alicization |OT| Everyone's favorite Gary Stu is back
Fairy Tail: Final Season |OT| The Power of Friendship will never fade!

Discussion Ground Rules:
- Please do not discuss piracy.
- Please keep it work-safe.
- Please do not be stupid.
-DONT POST ANITUBER VIDEOS (In Particular the big name ones Gigg, Mother's Basement, Digi etc..(Those three in particular endorsed the scams of Flying Colors and/or Otakucoin) have who have little to no knowledge about the actual industry. The ones that actually understand the industry tend to be smaller and are okay to post as long as they aren't click bait shit like the mentioned names above).

Last edited:

convo

Oct 25, 2017
The time for puppets is soon, i expect a recap of the end of the movie for people who haven't seen it hopfully not too long.

Oct 25, 2017
Dang, this is one of the most cynical anime thread titles I've seen.

(Also, it's possibly even more relevant to point out that Shinohara directed TV fantasy romance drama Lull in the Sea before serving as assistant director on Maquia.)

Oct 25, 2017
Either my eyes are acting up but the images all look low res.

Run with the Wind is the best of the highlighted followed by SAO.

Sad the BL show didnt make it until the list. Where is our representation in anime :(

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
New anime, and tomorrow kicks off October, the best month of the year.

Till a season of blessings friends!

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
This season already can't end up bad simply due to the existence of Jojo and puppets.

Double Decker 01

This looked good, had a lot of energy and quirky humor.
Promising start for this action/detective/sci-fi thingy. This could be a very entertaining watch.
And I can already see a very happy DTL, lol.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
There's a difference between being the worst Jojo Part and actually being bad.

I wouldn't rate the Part 5 manga above any of the other Parts, but there are still so many things I'm looking forward to seeing animated that it's not even funny. And as I've said before, I think this Part could potentially work a lot better in animated form than it did as a manga.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
P5A 26 END?
Nice to see they went with that ending for the anime series. Nice touch with the ED being tied to one of the last sections of the game. I eagerly await the OVA to properly wrap all this up.

Seriously, I think that they ended up doing a good job on the adaptation, including how they handled and included extra events. The gaminess was questionable early on, but most of that seemed to be nonexistent the farther we got. I think it's definitely worth the time if you really enjoyed the game.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Happy Sugar Life 12 END

why did…you go to…the roof…

A pretty satisfactory ending, all things considered, though I have to assume it's largely anime-original, since I can't imagine how the manga would still be ongoing after…that. Now I'm curious about how things went in the source material. Might actually have to check it out.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Guess it's high time to finish off the last vestiges of the season and make way for the deluge of great new sho- oh, wait, I thought it was January. Love the title, by the way.

Hanebado! 13 - END
A very solid conclusion to this long, drawn-out grudge match between Ayano and Nagisa. There's a lot of particularly good direction here that, whether for stylistic or budgetary concerns, brings a lot of the final moments to bear in ways that don't feel like something the show has done before, and I can really respect their intentions here with that. It helps that the rest of the match is punctuated by several great-looking cuts of animation, and while some parts of this final episode look a bit shoddy it really shines where it counts.

The only real issue is that the show seems to try to wrap up a bit too much too quickly at the end after the conclusion of Ayano and Nagisa's match. Ayano's confrontation with her mother feels like it got short changed, and not getting to see more payoff for that conflict was disappointing. That said, the rest of the denouement was perfectly fine and does leave room for more if that should happen, but I'm generally pleased at how this finale turned out. Hanebado!'s been a wild and unexpected ride, with plenty of ups and downs throughout the season. But it's never been boring, and it never had a production meltdown so bad it derailed the rest of the show, which is saying something for how impressive some of the animation is in matches throughout the series. I will miss this show and Ayano's raging asshole personality, it's been one of the more entertaining shows this year, not just of the season.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Y'all do realize it's going to be at least Episode 2 before JoJo has an OP and ED right

MikeHattsu

Oct 25, 2017
Reminder for new thread:

Checking if there's any interest in having an AnimeERA group trip to Japan next year.

We'll most likely be going sometime in week 15-17 2019.

Going for 8-13 days. Half in Tokyo and then the rest in the Kansai (Kyoto/Osaka) region.

Estimated budget should be about $1000+flight cost if you want to only join us for the first half in Tokyo and about $2000+flight cost if you want to join in on the whole trip. This depends on what kind of accommodation we'll get.

You will need to confirm if you're going and order your own flight by late November 2018.

I will help out getting us an apartment, hostel and/or hotel for a cheap price.

Had 3 different trips while at the old place with Line X, Theonik, zswordsman, Kewlmyc, ShadowSoldier89, tauke and ThreePi

Some of the things we could be checking out in Tokyo:
Shibuya Crossing
Ghibli museum
Akihabara
Nakano Broadway
Odaiba (which has that giant Gundam statue and other stuff)
Other things you want to check out

Some of the things we could be checking out in Kansai region:
Temples and shrines in Kyoto
Daytrip to Hiroshima
KyoAni Shop
Nipponbashi
Uji (The city shown in Sound! Euphonium)
Other things you want to check out

People who's shown interest:
TUSR
Chet Rippo
Spyhunterzero
firehawk12
Fatal_Futanari
RZetko
cosmicblizzard
DiGiKerot
Theonik

PM me here or on Twitter if you're interested.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
posted in wrong thread lol

Hanebado end

Yep i love watching people breath for 3 minutes rather than watch the actual game. What a final.
Major dud in a lot of ways. It was funny at first watching the show mire in its own ridiculous melodrama and self-seriousness but then it just got sad and boring after a while.
The match itself had no weight cause both characters are so unlikable and there aren't any real stakes causes they both qualified for the next round anyway, even the tacked on crap with the mom and the fake-out injury scare rang hollow.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
There's a difference between being the worst Jojo Part and actually being bad.

I wouldn't rate the Part 5 manga above any of the other Parts, but there are still so many things I'm looking forward to seeing animated that it's not even funny. And as I've said before, I think this Part could potentially work a lot better in animated form than it did as a manga.
eh... given I would consider part one legitimately bad, not terrible, but bad. if there is a part worse than that it too would need to be legitimately bad.

luckily part 1 is short (only what 8 or 9 episodes), and the parts after it are well worth watching.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Hanebado Episode 13:

Well then, this was an unearned final episode with a side dish of mood whiplash. Once again we have a total gear shift into schmaltzy Hollywood sports movie territory and the show just can;t carry that weight given the soap opera melodrama it has been wallowing in most of the series.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Hanebado 13 END
"a reflection of yourself"

Is Badmington even allowed to be this deep.

Sort of conflicted about this as I don't like some of the choices; the mother gets away almost scot free&Ayano hating her is depicted as something to grow out of + the depiction of the final point just went too far up its ass instead of showing the actual game. The rest was pretty good, even if some production issues so evident a week earlier still cropped up.

Not that the bar is high, or even in existence but honestly this is my AOTS and I almost wrote the show off after 2 episodes and made fun off it before the season started. The script is this weird and perplexing mixture of genuinely compelling and so bad it's actually good but it's always entertaining and I was really impressed by almost all things production wise. The designs are to die for, OP&ED are great, the amount of good cuts praiseworthy, it's just a fine looking show overall and I thought the direction was really good throughout.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Watching JoJo and SSSS Gridman for sure.

Maybe SAO and Circus as well.

edit: Oh Golden Kamuy comes back? Watching that too then.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Cells at Work 13 END
Regardless of how things were solved, the lead up to the transfusion was really harrowing. Red Blood Cell seemed to really shine the whole episode. I also liked how the new cells were slightly different and completely unaware after first arriving.

I'm going to miss Red and White and all the other sentient cells as they keep us functioning.

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
P5A 26 END?
Nice to see they went with that ending for the anime series. Nice touch with the ED being tied to one of the last sections of the game. I eagerly await the OVA to properly wrap all this up.
Every bad ending in the game plays that song too. It's just a bad end thing.

I'm guessing the predictions on episode count based on the number of Blu-ray volumes will hold true, just that you actually have to buy the Blu-rays to see episode 27+.

Larsa

Oct 25, 2017
Hanebado 13 - END

the whiplash tone and characters of this was borderline nonsensical to the end. But man, it was just entertaining as hell. I actually was super invested into the outcome of the match and was relieved it ended the way it did. Really liked the execution of this episode in general.
Such a fun and goofy show.
8/10

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Every bad ending in the game plays that song too. It's just a bad end thing.

I'm guessing the predictions on episode count based on the number of Blu-ray volumes will hold true, just that you actually have to buy the Blu-rays to see episode 27+.
Oh, I don't remember that at all. Tho it makes sense based on the final dungeon and boss.

Hopefully we won't have to wait long for the conclusion.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Hanebado 13 (END)

That was a good finale, but not great. It was mostly about the game and the emotional resolution of Ayano vs. Nagisa that's been an undercurrent throughout the whole show. It served its purpose, in that way, and I'm glad the knee issue was mainly a red herring instead of having a bigger impact on the game.

Still—even though I guess it's "better" this way for things to come full circle for Nagisa and because it shows that Ayano doesn't absolutely need to win to feel satisfied—I'm not too happy Ayano lost. A huge reason I was attracted to this series was because of her dark attitude and basically "final boss" status right from episode 1. She basically gets demoted in my eyes here by losing as she did, but at least some of that edge is kept when it comes to competition.

The resolution of the mother was kinda unsatisfying. There's no outright forgiveness for what Uchika did, but she doesn't get admonished, either. I wanted some real clapback for what she did, even if it was the coach telling her that Ayano is stronger without her or something. Something that would force her to respond with strong emotion (or a disturbing lack of), but there was nothing like that.

I saw a comment that this was an anime original ending, so I might find a way to check out the manga and see what's up in that. A lot of the criticisms I hear about the show is how Ayano is more docile and cute in the manga compared to the severity in the anime, and I'd be turned off immediately if that's how it is.

Oct 25, 2017
Cells at Work 13 END

Actually, the show never ends. The cells continue to struggle and fight against their own inevitable fate. Ganbatte cells.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hanebado

13505908.gif

They blew it. What the hell were they thinking with that mother confrontation?

Last edited:

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Hanebado Fin
screenshot_3.png

Hanebade is a show at odds with itself, but not necessary for the worst? It's this Frankenstein-esque show that somehow still manages to have some moment of genuine catharsis. On the other hand, between those moments, it's this hilariously over the top melodrama about just how intensely miserable sports can make people, with one of the worst mothers in anime I've seen in some time. (The fact that Ayano's mother isn't further admonished for her terrible behavior feels a bit like a cop out. Also, boy does Ayano's "sister" not come up in this finale at all.) So Hanebado was this weird experience of feeling somewhat connected with the show, and well...

9d1e37914b558bb7f01c73489fbdfb4f.gif

In the end, Badminton was the best therapy I guess.

Oct 26, 2017
Hanebado - another forgettable anime, in the end.

Banana Fish
. I'm watching the 11th episode right now, and I'm thinking of dropping it already. In reality I lost interest some episodes ago. I dislike MC's treatment in the narrative.
-He is so pretty, everyone wants to fuck him.
-Look at him, he is so badass! No one can stand against him.
-He has a sooo tragic past, pity him.
-He is like a wild animal, untameable, always looking for freedom and always dangerous. Rawr.
-He is so smart, too!
-He is like a king for his gang, they love him and fear him. He is so charismatic, despite being so young.
-He is so much a bad body, but still has a vulnerable core and will risk everything for the people he loves. Ohh.

Etc.

And the bad guys reached the eeeevil twisting mustache level of of bad guys, which is also a minus.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anyways for this season.

Will Watch for Sure
Karakuri Circus

Will watch for sure when dubbed
Sword Art Online: Alicization (I might break and watch it before the dub just because it's the only show on this list that isn't a simuldub or dubcast)
Tensei shitara Slime Datta Ken
Zombieland Saga (at least the first episode because it looks like it could be an amusing B anime)
Yagate Kimi ni Naru
Toaru Majutsu no Index III (I still need to watch season 2 >.<:)
Gyakuten Saiban: Sono "Shinjitsu", Igi Ari! Season 2
Goblin Slayer
Fairy Tail: Final Series

Have my eye on
Seishun Buta Yarou wa Bunny Girl Senpai no Yume wo Minai
Hinomaruzumou
Kishuku Gakkou no Juliet
Radiant (has a confirmed dub so will likely check out)
Ulysses: Jehanne Darc to Renkin no Kishi (has a confirmed dub so will likely check out)

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Double Decker Episode 2:

If nothing else I am enjoying the style and the atheistic of the series but that isn't hiding what was a pretty average indeed bland episode with a few comedy bright spots. I think we need to get to know the supporting cast a bit more next episode.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
So ahead of seeing Modest Heroes at Animation is Film Festival, I have now finally seen:

Mary and the Witch's Flower

Studio Ponoc's debut that really stands tall with it's Ghibli roots, and that includes the studio's logo heh.

89c28aa830f4d0d1c52b1eefc01c0162.png

Right off the bat, the film is absolutely beautiful looking. The opening scene where the girl is escaping with the flower seeds is breath taking and definitely show promise of this film. And the film does continue to be quite beautiful looking, adding in to a magical feel for a film about, well, magic!

Sadly, when it comes to the story, it just feels, kind of bland. I think part of it, is the film walking on familiar ground of Ghibli films, but it just lacks that spark that made much of those films special. Doesn't help that especially the titular character just feels really unremarkable. Still, there were some really nice moments, the broom stole the spotlight whenever it appeared, and the visuals alone does enough to make this a magical experience, but with some more depth, this film could have been better and even more magical.

Status
Not open for further replies.