• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I mean, they couldn't do that to anima yell when the manga don't have those scenes,only if they invented some scenes . For most of their adaptations they try to maintain the spirit and what was made on the manga but with animation and overall directing and the same is happening here as well. It's why manga from kirara, kirara max and kirara carat should all be on doga kobo. lol but well, at least doga kobo and houbunsha know that considering that the majority of the adaptations on the kirara line go to them. It's their forte, even with manga from other magazine but with similar spirit. It's why they're one of my favorite studios out there since the series that go to them to be adapted are so identified with them.

Yeah I'm glad they didn't decide to deviate from the tone with the property.

My only beef with Anima Yell is that one of the girls should have had black or green hair. 3 girls with reddish hair throws off the balance!

i don't dislike it, it's just not catching

i watched yuru camp that same season and absolutely loved it, so i dunno what it is about Universe that's turning me off.

They're totally different shows. Yuru Camp is a cozy CGDCT while Antarctica is a coming of age drama with some comedy. If you aren't into it by the end of episode 4, it probably isn't for you and thats cool. I still think its worth finishing though.

Yet another Doga Kobo show that is neither Nozaki-kun nor Love Lab.

Why are we still here? Just to suffer?

Ugh don't remind me :|

Maybe if we believe hard enough, we'll get Love Lab S2 one day. One day...

Show deserves it. When I visited Japan earlier this year, I heard the OP song everywhere.

Show was great, but I was really hoping something else of similar quality would come out. Besides it, all of my favorite shows I watched this year are form other years.

The OP and ED are so good. The acoustic version of the ED is amazing.

Have you been watching Bloom Into You? I haven't seen the anime yet but the source material is quality.

crimsonECHIDNA

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Florida

Though from reading it, looks like Funimation is just expanding what they've already been doing with Hulu, only now making their full slate of seasonal simulcasts available on Hulu

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
There's many adult romcom/romance manga out there if you want recommendations.

Any anime adult rom/com recommendations? My reading log is a bit packed right now.

I have seen quite a bit over the years but Wotakai slipped by my radar since I just signed up for Prime a few weeks ago and noticed it on there. I read the description and it sounded like a show I would like, and I wasn't wrong. I'm typically on CR and I think I've seen all the good one (and not so good) rom/coms there.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
so anyone in here own a fire TV (or I suppose fire stick) and have issues with funimation on it?
when I go to play a video it's just a black screen. I mean I can just leave my roku stick hooked up and use that for funimation but it's a little annoying that I have to do that lol.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Any anime adult rom/com recommendations? My reading log is a bit packed right now.

I have seen quite a bit over the years but Wotakai slipped by my radar since I just signed up for Prime a few weeks ago and noticed it on there. I read the description and it sounded like a show I would like, and I wasn't wrong. I'm typically on CR and I think I've seen all the good one (and not so good) rom/coms there.

For anime is quite difficult since there's not so much adapted or original but manga has many. Still, I'll look at my list to see if I find some for you

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Running Boys 10
5LCcW38.jpg

om8TsyR.jpg

Q6pTQMJ.jpg

lol, this episode was great. The show definitely found its footings.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching "A Place Further Than the Universe" in one go after seeing it come up again here. It really is a special show. Maybe a little bit too much crying for my tastes, but it didn't feel unnecessary. Looks great, sounds great, fantastic comedic timing, (practically) no fanservice, and a story that never delves deeply into melodrama.

I'm not one for all the happy, fuzzy feeling shows, but this worked for me. I think because it didn't feel shallow; it had actual thought put behind it, and messages it wanted to convey.

Like, I personally prefer Hanebado because it's a show with a bunch of broken people with broken thoughts taking something so much more seriously than maybe it deserves. But I can recognize that this is somehow "better."

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That interview on crunchyroll with a kadokawa producer for Shield hero was really interesting to read. It's great to see something like that from a producer for once

Thank you for joining us at Crunchyroll Expo! Could you please introduce yourself?

Junichiro Tamura: I'm Junichiro Tamura from KADOKAWA, and I've traveled to this event to show you the first episode of The Rising of the Shield Hero.

As a producer, what are your roles and responsibility for The Rising of the Shield Hero?

JT: As a producer, I do everything from top to bottom; I ask for budget, I gather up staff to make the committee, I get the studio, I get the staff to make the actual series, and I manage to get everything else that involves producing the series.

A producer does a lot of roles when it comes to making an anime! As you mentioned during the world premiere, you said that you were the one that started The Rising of the Shield Hero anime project. How did that come about? Did you read the manga or light novel? How did you decide that The Rising of the Shield Hero is going to be made into an anime?

JT: So about 3 or 4 years ago, KADOKAWA was looking for a title to make it big overseas, and during that time Crunchyroll and KADOKAWA were talking about some candidate titles. Crunchyroll producer, Sae Ho Song, pitched The Rising of the Shield Hero series to me, and he thought it was a great idea and we went forward with it!

Wow, that simple! That's interesting to hear! How did you go on to becoming a producer?

JT: I'm a little worried that maybe the topic isn't as interesting to hear about! There are many ways to becoming a producer, but in my case, I used to be an editor for manga, and I really wanted to the manga I was working on to become an anime. But, after asking his boss about it, there was no one to work on it. "If you really want it to get done, you should become a producer yourself!", he said, and I did as he said, and went on to become a producer. KADOKAWA is a bit of a special entity in Japan; they publish magazines, light novels, manga, they can make their own movies, live action or animated ones. They can do all of these in-house, so that was a big key in how I became a producer.

Any interesting experiences that happened while you're producing anime like Bungo Stray Dogs, Chio's School Road, or Angolmois: Record of Mongol Invasion?

JT: Have you guys ever watched SHIROBAKO? So basically what you saw in SHIROBAKO is what I do! As you saw in the anime, there were a lot of things that happened, accidents included. Animation is released weekly, and as you're watching it when it airs, we're continuing to work on it, it's basically down to the wire trying to meet that deadline. Since we're simulcasting it on Crunchyroll, sometimes I get angry e-mails about not getting materials in on time. Sorry about that!

What do the various producers do in the production committee? Are there different types of producers?

JT: There are many types of producer; I'm the business type of producer who gathers the money and forms the actual committee. Then there are the producers that make sure that everything is on track and on time, and then there are also the more creative producers who will acquire artists for the project.

Since there are many types of producers, how does a typical anime committee function with various companies such as Crunchyroll?

JT: It depends on the show or the committee. If KADOKAWA is willing to handle all the rights and duties, which in that case, then I will have to take care of everything myself. But on other committees, they might be like 13 members on the board,and each company would have their own producer representing their company.

Could you talk about how The Rising of the Shield Hero might be different from other simulcasts from Crunchyroll?

JT: The Rising of the Shield Hero is very special to Crunchyroll, because it's the first project that Crunchyroll was able to select and license the source IP. Generally from past co-productions, we were introduced to other companies, so we had no choice in the matter for what we wanted to make. So hopefully, Crunchyroll can keep working with KADOKAWA to make more shows that will probably be more successful overseas.

We're about three months away from the winter simulcast. Would you be able to share some of the things that you're working on currently?

JT: I worked on a lot of projects from KADOKAWA, like Chaika - The Coffin Princess and Bungo Stray Dogs. I would like guys to watch Bungo Stray Dogs, because in Japan, the fanbase for that series is like 80% women, which is a little surprising to me, because overseas, it's a lot more guys who watch the show! For new shows, there's RErideD - Derrida, Who Leaps Through Time coming out in October, which I'm also a producer for, so please check it out! It features an original story by the director of Steins;Gate, and the artwork is amazing! Please check it out when it's airing on Crunchyroll!

What would you like fans to know when they watch The Rising of the Shield Hero when it simulcasts this winter 2019?

Sorry to keep you waiting for the second episode, but it'll be worth the wait! Episode 2 and onwards will be better, so please make sure to watch it!

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-f...ing-with-junichiro-tamura-at-crunchyroll-expo

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Release the Spyce 9 - DROPPED
I guess I can't be that surprised at how rote this felt when I heard that there's a Release the Spyce mobile game coming soon. Only a multi-media original project designed to get you to care about (and spend a lot on) these girls could be so utterly toothless even when it does actually involve some stakes. Even so, Princess Principal handled this so much better (while having a mobile game tie-in of its own) it's not even excusable on that level.

I suppose we're always meant to be curious how Hanzo lost her eye, but being ninjas don't injuries due to bladed weapons kind of come with the territory? Anyway, this flashback episode shows what happened to Hanzo's senior since she's never been brought up by any of the other senior members, and it goes beat-for-beat exactly as you might have expected a story like this would go. There's no clever reveals, no particularly noteworthy sequence outside of the final sword fight itself which is at least well animated. And the end gives me enough idea of how Moryo are actually doing what they're doing now that most of the rest of the series' reveals will probably fall flat.

But even outside of that, there's so little substance here. Hanzo's senior feels like a cardboard cutout for all the depth she has, which makes the end of her story fall somewhat flat because the audience doesn't have the time nor inclination to get attached. It doesn't really add anything to your understanding of Hanzo because your impression of her doesn't change by the time she's finished recounting the story. I couldn't help but think of the excellent "The Prince and the Pauper" episode of Princess Principal and how it radically changed your impression of both Ange and Charlotte. Release the Spyce has held back this story for the climax before the final arc, and it lands without any resonance at all. It's really disappointing to see this show fumble from its decent if relatively unremarkable start. There was some room for growth, but it's been squandered by being too safe for its own good. There may be only three episodes left, but I feel this has run its course for me. I'd rather go back and re-watch Princess Principal than stick the rest of Release the Spyce out.

Angelo

Aug 24, 2018
Just weeks before the year ends. I just want to recommend you to watch both season of Golden Kamuy. Animation is kinda eh, but everything besides that is amazing.

Oct 25, 2017
That interview on crunchyroll with a kadokawa producer for Shield hero was really interesting to read. It's great to see something like that from a producer for once

https://www.crunchyroll.com/anime-f...ing-with-junichiro-tamura-at-crunchyroll-expo
probably shouldnt copy paste the entire interview?

-

In any case

"JT: So about 3 or 4 years ago, KADOKAWA was looking for a title to make it big overseas, and during that time Crunchyroll and KADOKAWA were talking about some candidate titles. Crunchyroll producer, Sae Ho Song, pitched The Rising of the Shield Hero series to me, "

I wonder how they thought of choosing that title especially 4 years ago, was sure it was pretty much a niche series then. Will be curious if this hits it big.

2014 (4 years ago) had my fav LN anime, Tokyo Ravens! Samurai Flamenco was going on, NagiAsu, Buddyfight started, Ace of Diamond was going strong, Log Horizon was around. Mahou Sensou was a thing. And Strike the Blood. and Chu2koi was around too.

I guess the CR person was like, lets go for a traditional fantasy novel since the school novels are pretty much being exhausted?

Busaiku

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 25, 2017
So I just marathoned Overlord.
I'm surprised how little Albedo there was, since I think that's who everybody talked about way back. But maybe I'm just not remembering properly.

And then I watched the latest episode (in English) of Slime afterwards, and was disappointed how there was more sexual fanservice than I remembered.

Deleted member 35777

Banned
Dec 9, 2017
Just got around to Hinomaruzumou, binged it and damn have the nailed it.

Didn't think they would do it justice but that did a great job.

Oct 25, 2017
Tokyo Ghoul Episode 19 engdub

Awkward Kaneki is best Kaneki after Mr Sauce, the scene with "are you a virgin" was lol, but then the scene where he was trying to ask if she was pregnant lol.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Run With the Wind 10
Excellent episode. The Kakeru/Prince dynamic is very fun and had some nice development for both.

Glad we finally got someone trying to correct Prince's posture lol.

Tsurune 7
I think they could do with scaling back the attitude from the twins a bit.

Shu reunion was interesting...

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
Run with the Wind 10

The ending was really great.

Irozuku 09

Decent episodes. I feel like I'm somewhat burned out from this show at this point but it's still rather decent and relaxing to watch.
I can't say I'm invested in the characters though, even if they're pretty likeable.

ChairMan

Oct 25, 2017
Run with the Wind 10

Kakeru finally chilling the hell out and helping his teammates, and Prince finally running like a normal human being. This was a great episode.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished watching "A Place Further Than the Universe" in one go after seeing it come up again here. It really is a special show. Maybe a little bit too much crying for my tastes, but it didn't feel unnecessary. Looks great, sounds great, fantastic comedic timing, (practically) no fanservice, and a story that never delves deeply into melodrama.

I'm not one for all the happy, fuzzy feeling shows, but this worked for me. I think because it didn't feel shallow; it had actual thought put behind it, and messages it wanted to convey.

Like, I personally prefer Hanebado because it's a show with a bunch of broken people with broken thoughts taking something so much more seriously than maybe it deserves. But I can recognize that this is somehow "better."

Yeah, there's definitely a little too much crying in this show and its especially noticeable during a binge. At the same time, I'm glad it's not melodramatic and over the top crying you see in many other anime. HanaKana's performance in episode 12 was outstanding as well.

You're right about the happy moments feeling like they were earned. The goal isn't to just show a bunch of girls doing cute penguin things (though that does certainly happen). Happy moments are more joyful because a lot of those moments have a lot of weight and emotion behind them. When they finally get to Antarctica, it wasn't a great moment just because thats what their goal was but also because of what it meant specifically for Shirase and what she endured trying to get here. Her (and the rest of the crew) flipping off their haters was cathartic.

Definitely doing my 5th rewatch during Christmas lol. Its so good.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't been following Release the Spyce for a few weeks, but it was obvious a couple episodes in that it was going to be an inferior Princess Principal without any of the clever drama or intrigue that carried it.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I have blown through like 20 episodes of Log Horizon s1 in like five days

Honestly, this series is actually better than I remembered. There's only a few fronts where I think it falters - it will never win any prizes for animation (there's decent stuff here and there but by and large it's fairly by the numbers or worse), the noob team can get a little boring sometimes, and there's a touch too many 'lol this guy is a pervert let's do some physical slapstick' jokes especially near the beginning.

But I have never ended an episode without wanting to immediately watch the next one, and the politicking is such a draw. I just love the overall focus of the series - it's just really interested in worlds, and societies, and the ways in which people as a whole act instead of some standard 'This guy is evil, here's his evil plans to do evil stuff because they're a villain'

Then again I'm the kind of person who read six doorstopper books about the end of the Roman Republic because of the drama of how people would vote (and occasionally fuck off to Gaul, raise an army and then march on Rome) so maybe I just happen to somehow be in the exact target demo for this idk

Vylash

Oct 25, 2017
Harukana Recieve was way more lit than it had any right to be, that final match was 🔥🔥🔥🔥

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone recommend a decent adventure show? Looking for something a bit on the lighter side.
I'm gonna need more information in regards to what you mean by adventure as in what type of adventure shows do you already like/ or what are you looking for.

but I will take the time to recommend https://myanimelist.net/anime/340/Mutsu_Enmei_Ryuu_Gaiden__Shura_no_Toki?q=shuri no t

Shura No Toki.

The show is a show that I like recommending as a hidden gem. It's not an amazing show, but it's solid. It has decent action (mostly grounded aka not with super powers), a decent story, and the plot keeps things moving along nicely, as it covers like 100 years in the show and has the main characters running into actual well known warriors.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
I'm gonna need more information in regards to what you mean by adventure as in what type of adventure shows do you already like/ or what are you looking for.

but I will take the time to recommend https://myanimelist.net/anime/340/Mutsu_Enmei_Ryuu_Gaiden__Shura_no_Toki?q=shuri no t

Shura No Toki.

The show is a show that I like recommending as a hidden gem. It's not an amazing show, but it's solid. It has decent action (mostly grounded aka not with super powers), a decent story, and the plot keeps things moving along nicely, as it covers like 100 years in the show and has the main characters running into actual well known warriors.
Ah sorry. Something in line with going on a journey, be there action or not. Possibly light hearted, but that's not particularly needed as long as it's not rife with symbolism and reading between the lines (been watching a few too many of those recently). Maybe something like Brave Story, Made in Abyss, Fractale, or Escaflowne. Just a sense of...adventure I guess. Hopefully nothing too long, or overtly shounen.

What you posted piques my interest with the generational thing though, will check that out.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Ah sorry. Something in line with going on a journey, be there action or not. Possibly light hearted, but that's not particularly needed as long as it's not rife with symbolism and reading between the lines (been watching a few too many of those recently). Maybe something like Brave Story, Made in Abyss, Fractale, or Escaflowne. Just a sense of...adventure I guess. Hopefully nothing too long, or overtly shounen.

What you posted piques my interest with the generational thing though, will check that out.
Magical Circle Guru Guru perhaps ? It's more comedic than your examples though.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017

not all that light hearted
Juuni Kokuki normal girl has a weird guy show up, tell her she is the rightful queen of his kingdom, and then before he can help her they are sucked into his realm and seperated and she has to travel the kingdom on her own for a while trying to figure out what to do.
Black Lagoon maybe a bit of a stretch for the journey idea, but the main character Rock has a journey experience. not light hearted at all though, violent and actiony. Has them travel for jobs.
Shinsekai yori not as adventury as made in abyss, but still has the kids eventually going around their world learning more about it with some rather dark moments.

decently light hearted
Ookami to Koushinryou (spice and wolf) it's about a merchant and wolf god traveling together.
Sakamichi no Apollon so this is less about going on a journey and more a journey of self discovery built on a bromance.
Nagi no Asu kara humans lived in the sea, but some humans moved to the surface. This is a story about the humans that still live in the sea interacting with those on the surface, journeying between their two worlds and learning more about each other. not super light hearted, but a good story of growing up.
Tsubasa Chronicle This is basically Clamp's fanfiction adventure story where the main characters deal with a lot of characters from their franchises.
Planetes collecting garbage in space is an adventure right :P?
Trigun - a guy in a red coat is just adventuring around the land having fun for a bit and then other things happen

Ghost Hunt
this has the cast traveling around dealing with ghosts.

light hearted
Sunabouzu ecchi comedy about a guy traveling around the desert
Slayers - basically D&D the anime has a number of seasons and while not great is decently fun and is a classic.

I'm sure there are plenty I'm missing and I just did a quick skim of my list. Don't even know if they are quite what you are looking for but aside from Sunabouzu, Tsubasa and maybe Slayers I imagine most people around here would have good things to say about the series I listed.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
Just finished watching Koutetsujou no Kabaneri. It was a pretty enjoyable watch, although towards the end I was getting a bit bored of the senseless killing. Will watch the movie and second season when they come out.

UsoEwin

Banned
Jul 14, 2018
Magical Circle Guru Guru perhaps ? It's more comedic than your examples though.
I like this art style, I will check this one out thanks.

not all that light hearted
Juuni Kokuki normal girl has a weird guy show up, tell her she is the rightful queen of his kingdom, and then before he can help her they are sucked into his realm and seperated and she has to travel the kingdom on her own for a while trying to figure out what to do.
Black Lagoon maybe a bit of a stretch for the journey idea, but the main character Rock has a journey experience. not light hearted at all though, violent and actiony. Has them travel for jobs.
Shinsekai yori not as adventury as made in abyss, but still has the kids eventually going around their world learning more about it with some rather dark moments.

decently light hearted
Ookami to Koushinryou (spice and wolf) it's about a merchant and wolf god traveling together.
Sakamichi no Apollon so this is less about going on a journey and more a journey of self discovery built on a bromance.
Nagi no Asu kara humans lived in the sea, but some humans moved to the surface. This is a story about the humans that still live in the sea interacting with those on the surface, journeying between their two worlds and learning more about each other. not super light hearted, but a good story of growing up.
Tsubasa Chronicle This is basically Clamp's fanfiction adventure story where the main characters deal with a lot of characters from their franchises.
Planetes collecting garbage in space is an adventure right :P?
Trigun - a guy in a red coat is just adventuring around the land having fun for a bit and then other things happen
Ghost Hunt this has the cast traveling around dealing with ghosts.

light hearted
Sunabouzu ecchi comedy about a guy traveling around the desert
Slayers - basically D&D the anime has a number of seasons and while not great is decently fun and is a classic.

I'm sure there are plenty I'm missing and I just did a quick skim of my list. Don't even know if they are quite what you are looking for but aside from Sunabouzu, Tsubasa and maybe Slayers I imagine most people around here would have good things to say about the series I listed.
Oooh, thank you for the large list. I have already watched a decent amount of these, but Juuni Kokuki looks really interesting.

Btw, is there an anime discord server?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Aaand in finished reading all of Tsurezure Children. Lol that went quick. I like these ensemble works. Is Sket Dance any good?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
I have blown through like 20 episodes of Log Horizon s1 in like five days

Honestly, this series is actually better than I remembered. There's only a few fronts where I think it falters - it will never win any prizes for animation (there's decent stuff here and there but by and large it's fairly by the numbers or worse), the noob team can get a little boring sometimes, and there's a touch too many 'lol this guy is a pervert let's do some physical slapstick' jokes especially near the beginning.

But I have never ended an episode without wanting to immediately watch the next one, and the politicking is such a draw. I just love the overall focus of the series - it's just really interested in worlds, and societies, and the ways in which people as a whole act instead of some standard 'This guy is evil, here's his evil plans to do evil stuff because they're a villain'

Then again I'm the kind of person who read six doorstopper books about the end of the Roman Republic because of the drama of how people would vote (and occasionally fuck off to Gaul, raise an army and then march on Rome) so maybe I just happen to somehow be in the exact target demo for this idk
I watched most of Season 1 in a single day over the weekend and I mostly agree. I think the show falters a bit near the end of the season, though that's more an issue with the source material and not the anime itself. Even so, the later episodes still have a good deal of interesting concepts, political issues, and intrigue that ends with quite a great reveal and setup for the second season.

Watching the second season tho...you can clearly see the drop in quality, even if the setup for the first portion of the season is both great from a story and a world-building standpoint. The raid stuff is particularly great thanks to how concise, yet deep the info drop is and how teams in Elder Tales tackles these dungeons. I'd say Akatsuki's story during the early portion of the season drags on a little bit, even though the events around it are super interesting and some of the world-changing events grow, change, and maintain interest in the world itself.

I'm hoping that as I get farther into Season 2 that it will end up being better than I remembered.

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018
Finally i was able to watch the first episode of Wanpanman.

I have no words. This is perfection. Curious to see if the quality can be held.

Has anyone a suggestion for a 'moderate' scifi anime. I have crunchyroll and netflix. I liked Evangelion, Elfen Lied, Cowboy Bebop and Trigun.

Status
Not open for further replies.