• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Any anime adult rom/com recommendations? My reading log is a bit packed right now.

I have seen quite a bit over the years but Wotakai slipped by my radar since I just signed up for Prime a few weeks ago and noticed it on there. I read the description and it sounded like a show I would like, and I wasn't wrong. I'm typically on CR and I think I've seen all the good one (and not so good) rom/coms there.

Woof you sure picked a topic.

I assume you've seen Recovery of a MMO Junkie, I'll name drop Nodame Cantabile just in case, only the live action J Drama is on CR so I have no idea how you're going to find that one but I highly recommend it, then my memory starts getting hazy, I remember liking Princess Jellyfish and Natsuyuki Rendezvous adult rom coms are so far and few between I'm really stretching my memory banks. :/

Something and Clover is another one I remember featuring uni students... Probably.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Woof you sure picked a topic.

I assume you've seen Recovery of a MMO Junkie, I'll name drop Nodame Cantabile just in case, only the live action J Drama is on CR so I have no idea how you're going to find that one but I highly recommend it, then my memory starts getting hazy, I remember liking Princess Jellyfish and Natsuyuki Rendezvous adult rom coms are so far and few between I'm really stretching my memory banks. :/

Something and Clover is another one I remember featuring uni students... Probably.
I didn't like Golden Time that much in the end so I wouldn't personally recommend it but it might fit the constraints of adult rom com?

Django.Mango

Jan 31, 2018

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Senryu shouko is a great manga and nanako is a bless so I'm happy for her being hana kana. Curious at how they will make the anime considering that many chapters are dependent on the 4koma format and of course, nanako poems.

Shonen magazine also going all out with anime adaptations this year. Just this year they announced

Ahiru no Sora
Domestic na Kanojo
Go-Toubun no Hanayome
Diamond no Ace Act II
Enen no Shouboutai
and now senryu shoujo

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think I can handle a zombie idol sentai team, I might explode.

I didn't like Golden Time that much in the end so I wouldn't personally recommend it but it might fit the constraints of adult rom com?

Yeah that's another one, although I do remember I stopped watching it halfway through though.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Senryu shouko is a great manga and nanako is a bless so I'm happy for her being hana kana. Curious at how they will make the anime considering that many chapters are dependent on the 4koma format and of course, nanako poems.

Shonen magazine also going all out with anime adaptations this year. Just this year they announced

Ahiru no Sora
Domestic na Kanojo
Go-Toubun no Hanayome
Diamond no Ace Act II
Enen no Shouboutai
and now senryu shoujo

YES YES YES YES YES
YES YES YES YES YES YES YES
YES YES YES YES YES

(shameless stolen from Reddit)

KanaHana as Nanako is just perfect. Man, I can't wait for this one.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bunny Girl 10:

So instead of a body swap they transformed into each other. That noise when they changed back was...weird.

I was expecting just either them to suddenly end up back to normal mentally or it be off camera.

Not...crunch.

Bonus Yandere Ghost Mai
IbAI0cR.png

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Bunny Senpai - 10

Did my heart just skip a beat with that Kaede scene?

I still don't understand the big deal with Mai and Sakura dating being a thing, like did no-one in the school open their mouths in ep 3, or is that still an enclosed space from the rest of world due to the atmosphere? In the grand scheme of things it does fit nicely with Kaede's puberty syndrome being social media related but it doesn't add up to how we got here.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bunny Senpai - 10

Did my heart just skip a beat with that Kaede scene?

I still don't understand the big deal with Mai and Sakura dating being a thing, like did no-one in the school open their mouths in ep 3, or is that still an enclosed space from the rest of world due to the atmosphere? In the grand scheme of things it does fit nicely with Kaede's puberty syndrome being social media related but it doesn't add up to how we got here.

Mai's career didn't restart at that point.

Also Japan is weird with celebrities and dating.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Mai's career didn't restart at that point.

Also Japan is weird with celebrities and dating.

Surely after she restarted her career Mai's agent would have caught wind before Mai mentioned it as a passing comment in a conversation, they made a whole point with Kaede's school using social media why was Sakura's school exempt. I'm probably nitpicking because it does at the end of the day tie in thematically with Kaede's arc but it's a point of contrivance that stuck with me.

And yeah Japan is weird with celebrities which is why I am going to be veeeery interested in Yugiri's backstory in Zombieland Saga tomorrow given that she's basically a prostitute.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't realize That Time I Got Reincarnated as a Slime was going to be 24 episodes. Nice. I only found out now because funimation confirmed it was continuing next season lol

Richter1887

Oct 27, 2017
Bunny girl Episode 10

That sound when they returned was weird as hell. It sounded like a certain death involving an ambulance in JoJo Part 4.

I have a feeling shit is going to hit the fan next episode. Seems we will have the episodes focusing on Kaede and because Mai got exposed for having a relationship with a boy it seems this will start affecting them. Poor Kaede, the amount of hate Sakuta will be getting will probably trigger her PTSD...

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I hope the studio doing Senryu Shoujo can translate it to anime in a good way. The best part of the manga is how great and expressive the art is, and how just happy it can be.

Nov 11, 2017
Dumb question but, should I watch Fullmetal Alchemist or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? I've been interested in the show but never watched it. Brotherhood is on Hulu but the original is not. Will I miss anything important if I just watch Brotherhood?

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
Dumb question but, should I watch Fullmetal Alchemist or Fullmetal Alchemist: Brotherhood? I've been interested in the show but never watched it. Brotherhood is on Hulu but the original is not. Will I miss anything important if I just watch Brotherhood?
FMA '03 covers the manga at the start, before it starts telling its own, completely different story. Brotherhood covers the entire manga. The early material in Brotherhood goes by kinda fast because '03 already went over that stuff, but it's hardly a dealbreaker. You can just start watching Brotherhood without any problem.

Also, FMA '03 gets really, really stupid as it goes on, so I wouldn't recommend watching it anyway.

Oct 25, 2017

Ah, the everlasting debate over FMA 2003 vs. FMA Brotherhood. For what it's worth, I consider 2003 to be the superior series, but from a pure narrative perspective, you can follow Brotherhood just fine without watching 2003. They're alternate takes on the same base material. What you'll be missing is more sensitive direction and a more intimate focus on characterization rather than any plot details.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Rascal and Bunny Senpai 10

So, let me get this straight, Japan. You're cool with having grown men salivate over girls having soaked panties or, God help me, no panties, but it's scandalous for a girl to be dating a boy her own age? For goodness sake.

Loved that sound effect, btw 😂

Oct 25, 2017
For Canadian people (like me), will now can buy Tales of Abyss: The Movie for just $13.

Normally, it would be $60 for (lol) DVD format.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bunny Sempai 10
So I'm guessing Sakuta will get hurt from the hate Mai will get. More scars for him, wonder if Kaede will be affected.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I have another question about that Rascal and Bunny episode but it's more about anime tropes in general. What is with teenagers and having them live separate from their parents? What's with parents just straight up abandoning their kids because they are going through a rough patch? Is this an actual thing in Japan? I see this pop up all the time in anime.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I have another question about that Rascal and Bunny episode but it's more about anime tropes in general. What is with teenagers and having them live separate from their parents? What's with parents just straight up abandoning their kids because they are going through a rough patch? Is this an actual thing in Japan? I see this pop up all the time in anime.
It's so the writer doesn't have to write for or account for them.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Surely after she restarted her career Mai's agent would have caught wind before Mai mentioned it as a passing comment in a conversation, they made a whole point with Kaede's school using social media why was Sakura's school exempt. I'm probably nitpicking because it does at the end of the day tie in thematically with Kaede's arc but it's a point of contrivance that stuck with me.

And yeah Japan is weird with celebrities which is why I am going to be veeeery interested in Yugiri's backstory in Zombieland Saga tomorrow given that she's basically a prostitute.

Rascal and Bunny Senpai 10

So, let me get this straight, Japan. You're cool with having grown men salivate over girls having soaked panties or, God help me, no panties, but it's scandalous for a girl to be dating a boy her own age? For goodness sake.

Loved that sound effect, btw 😂

This don't really happen with celebrities but with idols. The situation with Mai here is completely different. It's much more similar to what happens around the world with paparazzi and famous people than with idol stuff. Much like with this situation, being found dating when you're doing it on secret will draw out attention to the person itself and it's also going to bother mai and her agency with gossip in media and internet about their life with questions and such for quite some time. Still is a shit situation in which there's no respect to a personal life but it's more common to what we have here in which of course, many famous people do that for some time in secret to not have to deal with those problems.

I hope the studio doing Senryu Shoujo can translate it to anime in a good way. The best part of the manga is how great and expressive the art is, and how just happy it can be.

Very doubtful. Most anime can't grasp the art and detail that a manga has. They need to simplify the designs to that in comparison for animation and that will happen here. We need to cheer for a good character designer that won't make a generic adaptation of the design to anime like other works out there (coff coff bokuben)

The real answer is otaku think parent sucks and want escapism world without them

It isn't, even more when there's plenty of manga with parents and characters living with them. also, it isn't uncommon for a teenager to live outside of the parents house for study with them paying for it.

And there's many anime and manga for kids without parents too, I guess they must be for otaku as well in that reasoning. lol Or they are otaku too.... Well, there's otaku on that age too as it is pretty much used for being nerd about something for decades already there so you must be right on that point.

Seriously, the otaku thing reached a point where you could think that this perception is talking about aliens when it's pretty much the same people as any here on this forum for the level of interest in a medium (be it game, military, western products, manga, etc) with the money earned in the job to pay for them.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4452

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How is Record of Lodoss War OVA? I'm seeing the Blu-ray on sale, but still debating whether to get it, especially since the price is inflated by the addition of the TV series DVD which I'm not interested in.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017

FMA 03 is some real garbage. Stick with Brotherhood only.

Watch the 03 version if stuff like "female characters being raped into catatonia solely for (pointless) drama" is something that appeals to you

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy (Season 1)
Back when I was very, very young, I remember my father showing me old episodes of Thunderbirds that he used to watch when he was a child. As antiquated as puppet shows of that era may look now, I really appreciated how different they seemed next to the cartoons I was used to watching at the time. But I never really expected anyone to take a puppet show in that style and make something that looked exactly how I imagined the show looking as a child, when my imagination filled in the gaps of what the production was capable of achieving. Thunderbolt Fantasy may not be anime, but it's a childhood dream come to life, and I think that's what makes it so special to me.

It cannot be overstated how cool Thunderbolt Fantasy is to watch, especially if you look into how it was shot. The amount of work that went into making the production, from the incredible range of motion and emotion in each character's puppet, to the Rube Goldberg-style mechanisms used to capture certain moves or environmental interaction, to the care and attention to replicating even the most minute details of traditional martial arts movies (fleet-footed footwork, the impact of blows, the abundant gore, etc.), is really impressive to take in. And while some parts of the production like the creature CGI doesn't hold up to scrutiny, the amount of effort on the part of the Taiwanese puppetry company Pili put in to replicate martial arts cinema in puppet form is incredible, and keeps impressing throughout the series' run.

If its technical merits were all that I could write home about, that would honestly be enough to recommend it. But thankfully, Thunderbolt Fantasy has an ace up its sleeve: creator and writer, Gen Urobochi. Now, I know Urobochi is definitely an acquired taste among anime fans, but I think this is a fascinating project for him because he really showcases a sense of creative freedom I haven't seen from most of his most well known work. Instead of fitting within the confines of a franchise or riffing on a specific set of genre cliches, Thunderbolt Fantasy's straightforward martial arts epic gives Urobochi a loose canvas to paint his richly complicated characters onto. I'd argue that not only do we see some of his most interesting characters in recent years come to light here because of this, but the framework of the story is so open that he takes the narrative in some unusually dark directions that feel fresh for the kind of material he's working with while lending the story a tone that is unmistakably his to the core.

All of this is wonderfully complimented with another fabulous Sawano soundtrack, who maybe doesn't exactly outdo himself here, but he definitely helps electrify the puppetry action with his classic techno-rock aesthetic. That one particular anthem that feels taken off his Xenoblade Chronicles X album will be stuck in my head for weeks now. And while I know the series didn't do particularly well commercially, I'm pleased that everyone involved was willing to move forward regardless, because I expect given some of the developments at the end of the series, I get the feeling Urobochi is planning to go all out moving forward.

Thunderbolt Fantasy: The Sword of Life and Death
But before we get to that, we need to talk about the Thunderbolt Fantasy movie! I had to laugh because at least early on in the film, I wasn't absolutely convinced what had changed in terms of the production from television series to movie, but once it becomes obvious where the narrative about the past of the Screaming Phoenix Killer is going, they spend their money all on one particular scene that might be one of the most amazing sequences I've watched in a production of this kind.

That said, while it was somewhat obvious how both of the major sequences in the movie were bound to play out, there were a number of really nice touches throughout that made them worthwhile to sit through, both in a narrative sense but also from a production standpoint. And some of the teases at the end about where the second season could be going feel incredibly exciting as they seem much more "out there" than much of season one.

I look forward to catching up with everyone, and I wish I had watched Thunderbolt Fantasy sooner because it's put to shame a lot of what I've been watching the last couple of years.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, it's so simple like I expected. :( I'll watch of course as I do with the manga I read because I want to see the story in motion and the characters talking lol and fuckong hana kana as nanako

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017
Just watched Mirai. It was real cute, but I'm struggling to figure out a central theme to it. Maybe I shouldn't watch films after a 12 hour workday. (As I post this from the office, having gone right back to work after the movie let out.)

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I personally like 2003 over Brotherhood. You get the early parts of Brotherhood but better. And while 2003 is somewhat sillier, it gets better characterization and more cohesive themes. I also think Brotherhood peaks at around the mid 20s episode, and ends in a boring manner. That said, I will admit my taste is in the minority, at least around this forum.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

I'm not really familiar with CONNECT's work but I've only seen the first couple of episodes of Strike The Blood and it was meh. The comedic timing is just as important as well so hopefully they do it justice.

Ugh, it's so simple like I expected. :( I'll watch of course as I do with the manga I read because I want to see the story in motion and the characters talking lol and fuckong hana kana as nanako

Something looks off about that :/ Hope it looks better in motion.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
FMA '03 being a more thoughtful and introspective character based series compared to Brotherhood is all well and good in theory. Then you get to the actual character writing itself, which is horrible. Instead of anything that's actually interesting, there's nothing but ton after ton of obnoxious angst with zero thought put into it, all while the show tried to pretend that it's "deep." Brotherhood spends less time on development of its characters, but it does way more with the time it does have, and packs all the characters with lots of heart. '03 feels really soulless by comparison.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Mirai

Pretty good.

Sure got tired of that little kid being a fucking brat, though.

FMA '03 being a more thoughtful and introspective character based series compared to Brotherhood is all well and good in theory. Then you get to the actual character writing itself, which is horrible. Instead of anything that's actually interesting, there's nothing but ton after ton of obnoxious angst with zero thought put into it, all while the show tried to pretend that it's "deep." Brotherhood spends less time on development of its characters, but it does way more with the time it does have, and packs all the characters with lots of heart. '03 feels really soulless by comparison.

OOF!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017

literally just a writing device. it doesn't happen irl that often

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Not in Japan, but: I lived on my own from fifteen onwards 'cause my parents had to move for work--which, now that I think about it, is literally just the set-up for an anime plot.

It's certainly not something that happens a lot where I live, though. Heck, I think it was technically illegal until I turned sixteen.

Status
Not open for further replies.