• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
FMA '03 being a more thoughtful and introspective character based series compared to Brotherhood is all well and good in theory. Then you get to the actual character writing itself, which is horrible. Instead of anything that's actually interesting, there's nothing but ton after ton of obnoxious angst with zero thought put into it, all while the show tried to pretend that it's "deep." Brotherhood spends less time on development of its characters, but it does way more with the time it does have, and packs all the characters with lots of heart. '03 feels really soulless by comparison.

I intend to do a full rewatch of 2003 before making a detailed defense of it, but my memories of Brotherhood are clear enough to say that I definitely found it to be soulless in the end. It's hard to say it does well with the time it has when basically the last 12 or so episodes are one big dragged-out finale arc in which barely anything meaningful happens. I found that whole arc pretty silly as well, but it is a sort of cliche battle shounen silliness so it probably doesn't bother people who are big fans of the genre. The only parts of Brotherhood which I feel positive about are the good action animation, some of the OP/EDs, and Olivier Armstrong.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Skull Face Bookseller Honda-san 4-9

Binged all the these episodes at once and this is such a great comedy. The Naruto loving Texans made me laugh a lot.

Breqesk

Oct 28, 2017
Only if there was also a cute childhood friend from next door who came over to cook for you.
... my best friend, who I've known since we were months old, did live next door to me, and we did spend pretty much every summer holiday just hanging out at my place...

I did the cooking tho. Or we just went to McDonalds 😅

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
FMA '03 being a more thoughtful and introspective character based series compared to Brotherhood is all well and good in theory. Then you get to the actual character writing itself, which is horrible. Instead of anything that's actually interesting, there's nothing but ton after ton of obnoxious angst with zero thought put into it, all while the show tried to pretend that it's "deep." Brotherhood spends less time on development of its characters, but it does way more with the time it does have, and packs all the characters with lots of heart. '03 feels really soulless by comparison.
I thought the part where the brothers' equivalent exchange ideology being broken down, and then having to rethink their world view and create their own version of the equivalent exchange was some great character stuff. Brotherhood was soulless in comparison since there was nothing interesting about that big fight at the end.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
I thought the part where the brothers' equivalent exchange ideology being broken down, and then having to rethink their world view and create their own version of the equivalent exchange was some great character stuff. Brotherhood was soulless in comparison since there was nothing interesting about that big fight at the end.

Frankly, that's one of the worst parts of '03 FMA. The thing where you throw away the premise on which your story is built has always felt bad to me.

Voltt

Oct 25, 2017
I thought the part where the brothers' equivalent exchange ideology being broken down, and then having to rethink their world view and create their own version of the equivalent exchange was some great character stuff.
This is totally a personal thing, but I've never really been a huge fan of characters treating equivalent exchange as a life philosophy. It's always felt very silly to me.
Brotherhood was soulless in comparison since there was nothing interesting about that big fight at the end.
Could you explain what you mean exactly? Off the top of my head, Ed, Al, Hoenheim, Greed, Pride, Scar, Kimbley, and Roy have their character arcs wrap up at that point, unless I'm remembering wrong.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Frankly, that's one of the worst parts of '03 FMA. The thing where you throw away the premise on which your story is built has always felt bad to me.
It isn't throwing away the premise of the story. It is them coming to the realization that the world is more complicated than they initially perceived, and that their ideology is inadequate in the face of it.

Could you explain what you mean exactly? Off the top of my head, Ed, Al, Hoenheim, Greed, Pride, Scar, Kimbley, and Roy have their character arcs wrap up at that point, unless I'm remembering wrong.
They did wrap up. All I am saying is that it happened in the most milquetoast way possible. You may disagree, but I thought they had really simplistic scenarios to a ton of complicated questions. Plus, I thought Father was utterly uncompelling. The one thing against my favor is that it's been a while for me, so who knows if I remember right.

Last edited:

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
It isn't throwing away the premise of the story. It is them coming to the realization that the world is more complicated than they initially perceived, and that their ideology is inadequate in the face of it.

Yeah, my friend told me that when we were sixteen. He was wrong then, just like the person who wrote it was wrong when they came up with it. I think they in fact specifically used an example that they should not have used. I seem to recall them bringing up how equivalent exchange wasn't real because rich people existed. Which...yeah, still kinda validates equivalent exchange. No one can be rich and enjoy so much wealth without many people suffering instead. If one area's a desert, another is an oasis. It's more all-encompassing than the writer gave it credit, and so they threw it away trying to be clever.

I'm not joking, I experienced an immediate disconnect the moment FMA '03 went off the rails from its manga counterpart, and it never righted itself. I'd never read the manga, it just felt....wrong, to me. I almost avoided Brotherhood because I didn't think it could fix the drop off. I was wrong; Brotherhood's one of my Top 25 anime, easily.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, my friend told me that when we were sixteen. He was wrong then, just like the person who wrote it was wrong when they came up with it. I think they in fact specifically used an example that they should not have used. I seem to recall them bringing up how equivalent exchange wasn't real because rich people existed. Which...yeah, still kinda validates equivalent exchange. No one can be rich and enjoy so much wealth without many people suffering instead. If one area's a desert, another is an oasis. It's more all-encompassing than the writer gave it credit, and so they threw it away trying to be clever.

I'm not joking, I experienced an immediate disconnect the moment FMA '03 went off the rails from its manga counterpart, and it never righted itself. I'd never read the manga, it just felt....wrong, to me. I almost avoided Brotherhood because I didn't think it could fix the drop off. I was wrong; Brotherhood's one of my Top 25 anime, easily.
You sort of missed the point. A lot of it was about what the value of life is. And when the Elric brothers were confronted with the question directly, it didn't jive with their own value system. I mean, think about how far Edward went to save his brother. To him his brother's death would not be equivalent at all to whatever alchemy would result from his death. To him, it should be equivalent to all the efforts they went through together, and all the value that their friends and family place on them. Something like that.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
You sort of missed the point. A lot of it was about what the value of life is. And when the Elric brothers were confronted with the question directly, it didn't jive with their own value system. I mean, think about how far Edward went to save his brother. To him his brother's death would not be equivalent at all to whatever alchemy would result from his death. To him, it should be equivalent to all the efforts they went through together, and all the value that their friends and family place on them. Something like that.

I don't think I did, though. I think I'm saying equivalent exchange doesn't always work how they would want it, but the law doesn't fall apart as easily as Dante tried to pretend it does.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of fuckery with the Cover technology right now so I'm leaving what is up as is. It decides to stretch it if you have your browser at 100% zoom, lower it to 90% and you can see the image not looking so widefaced and off.

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
They did wrap up. All I am saying is that it happened in the most milquetoast way possible. You may disagree, but I thought they had really simplistic scenarios to a ton of complicated questions. Plus, I thought Father was utterly uncompelling. The one thing against my favor is that it's been a while for me, so who knows if I remember right.

Does anybody remember anything about Dante? Anyone?

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I just mass purchased a ton of Anime DVDs and Blu Rays due to the recent Amazon sale.

I grabbed Trinity Blood, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Drifters, and Hellsing Ultimate.

Almost all of these are complete series, the lone exception being Hellsing Ultimate since I could only get Volumes 1 - 4, and 9 - 10. The boxed set for 5 - 8 is ridiculously overpriced for some strange reason.

Some of these series I've never seen before but am familiar with them. Notably Trinity Blood, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Drifters.

Right now I'm currently watching Trinity Blood.

To be perfectly honest I think I have a preference for Seinen Anime over Shonen variety, so anyone have recommendations for stuff like list above that I would enjoy?

Really hope Great Teacher Onizuka eventually gets a Blu Ray release, while I could get DVD's, I prefer the newer format. Of course I suppose there is little point if the material itself isn't remastered to take advantage of it.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I might be slowpoking here but was Pmichael permed ? Even his account name seems to have been purged.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
the only thing i don't really like about brotherhood's end is the villain.

they're more or less a Diabolus ex Machina that acts as an impetus for the rest of the plot.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
I agree she wasn't the best villain. Still better than Father though. :p

But I did like the homunculuses a lot more, and they were a big part of the finale.
Dante as a villain was dogshit. I would take the usual 'transceding God' trope over 'yandere played serious' trope every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Sloth in both aren't really good/memorable.

Lust and Envy both had better death/climax sequences in Brotherhood. Lust though benefits more from the slower pacing at the beginning of 03 and has more character work than her later counterparts.

Brotherhood Wrath is way better than 03 Wrath. 03 Wrath on paper should have been more interesting but ends up being a mess in execution especially later on.

Pride in both aren't exactly great and neither comes across as intimidating or particularly interesting.

Gluttony's final stuff in 03 is definitely more intimidating but he's generally not a great character to begin with.

Greed had a better death/climax sequence in 03 but is more fleshed out as a character in Brotherhood, even if it's a little typical in nature.

It's sort of a wash as both have strengths and weaknesses. Brotherhood Wrath is by far the best homonculus though and Brotherhood Lust has the best death sequence of any of the homonculi.

Last edited:

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Dante as a villain was dogshit. I would take the usual 'transceding God' trope over 'yandere played serious' trope every day of the week and twice on Sunday.

Sloth in both aren't really good/memorable.

Lust and Envy both had better death/climax sequences in Brotherhood. Lust though benefits more from the slower pacing at the beginning of 03.

Brotherhood Wrath is way better than 03 Wrath.

Pride in both aren't exactly great.

Gluttony's final stuff in 03 is definitely more intimidating but he's generally not a great character to begin with.

Greed had a better death/climax sequence in 03 but is more fleshed out as a character in Brotherhood, even if it's a little typical in nature.

It's sort of a wash as both have strengths and weaknesses. Brotherhood Wrath is by far the best homonculus though and Brotherhood Lust has the best death sequence of any of the homonculi.
Being better than Father for me was a low bar, so yeah, you won't find me disagreeing there about Dante.

Now, for the homunculus, my memory is running thin when it comes to Brotherhood, so admittedly that might bias me quiet a bit. Although I definitely think Sloth in 03 better is better than in Brotherhood, and Wrath in Brotherhood is better than in 03. Also I think Pride is decent in both versions.
Edit: Actually, isn't Bradley Pride in one version and Wrath in the other version? Ah crap now I am confused.

Hypron

Oct 27, 2017
NZ
I started watching Inuyashiki, I'm up to episode 4 and I wasn't expecting to enjoy this so much.

Jarmel

Oct 25, 2017
New York
This is the boring answer but the truth. Both versions of FMA are really good but have tons of flaws. 03 is definitely stronger than Brotherhood in regards to direction and pacing but has much worse lows such as Robo-Archer and Rose being literally raped into a mute. Brotherhood has significantly better climaxes but the pacing is a mess almost throughout and the art direction/storyboarding at times could be lacking. They're both also almost fundamentally different works in terms of themes and tone. It's an apples/oranges comparison even if both are the same IP and contain many of the same characters. You can very easily end up liking one version of FMA while hating the other, all for legitimate reasons. It's why I find these arguments to be a waste of time to be honest.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, despite what I have said, I think Brotherhood is also a good show. I just tolerate the flaws in 03 version better than the Brotherhood ones.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
I'll just drop this off in here

I'm looking forward to it.

tenor.gif

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
OMG OMG OMG

PLSDONTSUCK PLSDONTSUCK PLSDONTSUCK
given the advertising they are already doing for it I imagine the series has a lot of money being thrown into it.
The full story is pretty solid, and the manga creator is heavily involved because she hated the first adaption so I have a feeling that it will stay very true to the original manga, and any changes made will be because she actively wanted them changed.
I don't really have any worries if it will be good. I'm just looking forward to watching the whole story animated. I'm more curious if it can open the door for some other shoujo manga to get a little more love. AKA if my dream of Skip Beat getting another adaption could in part become true because of fruits basket doing well.

Either way, next year should be a really good year for anime in general.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
given the advertising they are already doing for it I imagine the series has a lot of money being thrown into it.
The full story is pretty solid, and the manga creator is heavily involved because she hated the first adaption so I have a feeling that it will stay very true to the original manga, and any changes made will be because she actively wanted them changed.
I don't really have any worries if it will be good. I'm just looking forward to watching the whole story animated. I'm more curious if it can open the door for some other shoujo manga to get a little more love. AKA if my dream of Skip Beat getting another adaption could in part become true because of fruits basket doing well.

Either way, next year should be a really good year for anime in general.
So how many episodes in total will be aired? I'm just getting into anime and I'm kind of already annoyed in a bunch of romance anime's. The will they/won't they just got annoying and then the anime just ends.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
So how many episodes in total will be aired? I'm just getting into anime and I'm kind of already annoyed in a bunch of romance anime's. The will they/won't they just got annoying and then the anime just ends.
Not sure, there are 23 volumes and you likely will get 3-4 episodes per volume so I would guess around 78 but we will have to see how the pacing is.

if it helps at all the vast majority of romance animes you have checked out were made for ongoing manga to promote the manga so end well before the conclusion. This one is a full adaption so will go through the entire story.

also. you should watch My Love Story if you haven't already :P

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure, there are 23 volumes and you likely will get 3-4 episodes per volume so I would guess around 78 but we will have to see how the pacing is.

if it helps at all the vast majority of romance animes you have checked out were made for ongoing manga to promote the manga so end well before the conclusion. This one is a full adaption so will go through the entire story.

I'll check it out!

Oct 25, 2017

I would be incredibly shocked if the new Fruits Basket anime got 78 episodes. You don't get that many episodes unless you're one of the few daytime kids' shows such as Black Clover or Boruto, and an old shoujo manga is not the sort of thing that gets put in those slots. The best shot at approaching that episode count would be to have multiple 2-cour seasons a year or more apart from each other, but I doubt Funimation et al will be investing in a super long-term project like that as opposed to taking the common nostalgia-bait adaptation approach of letsdoeverythingallatonceevenifit'ssuperrushed as seen in anime such as Karakuri Circus or Hakyuu Houshin Engi.

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
I saw this and got hopeful it was the Watanabe directing all the other baseball shows this year. It was not.

Aaand in finished reading all of Tsurezure Children. Lol that went quick. I like these ensemble works. Is Sket Dance any good?
I've yet to see the anime (so this probably isn't helpful), but the source material is great.

Punished Goku

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

My Love Story 1
Man I fell in love with Takeo immediately. Poor guy can't get love, but I feel like this new girl likes him over his friend Sunokowa.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
I would be incredibly shocked if the new Fruits Basket anime got 78 episodes. You don't get that many episodes unless you're one of the few daytime kids' shows such as Black Clover or Boruto, and an old shoujo manga is not the sort of thing that gets put in those slots. The best shot at approaching that episode count would be to have multiple 2-cour seasons a year or more apart from each other, but I doubt Funimation et al will be investing in a super long-term project like that as opposed to taking the common nostalgia-bait adaptation approach of letsdoeverythingallatonceevenifit'ssuperrushed as seen in anime such as Karakuri Circus or Hakyuu Houshin Engi.
There is no way this gets made with a rushed adaption. They had to convince the manga creator to do it because she hated the first series. She is an executive producer and would only allow them to do this if it was being done her way. None of the original cast is on the project because she didn't want to taint the new project.

Split cours would be the most likely route.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017

I'd agree if it was anything other than that show as it was one of the earlier defining titles for the company and we're now in an age where Western interests get to make whatever they want so long as they have cash so who knows. I think Jarmel saw an ad for it in Times Square so they're not adverse to spending for this project.

Oct 25, 2017
aniplex sale...BLast of Tempest not on sale. Stop :(

I wonder when they will make more complete sets. Like Id totally buy A/Z, DRRR s2 and 3, and 4, and Valvrave.

I cant believe Valvrave is still $119 for each part, were like nearly half a decade out from when it aired

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
aniplex sale...BLast of Tempest not on sale. Stop :(

I wonder when they will make more complete sets. Like Id totally buy A/Z, DRRR s2 and 3, and 4, and Valvrave.

I cant believe Valvrave is still $119 for each part, were like nearly half a decade out from when it aired
Get a region free player. Import from uk or madman in aus. Save lots. Blast was like 15 shipped when it was in sale from madman.

Status
Not open for further replies.