• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I'd agree if it was anything other than that show as it was one of the earlier defining titles for the company and we're now in an age where Western interests get to make whatever they want so long as they have cash so who knows. I think Jarmel saw an ad for it in Times Square so they're not adverse to spending for this project.
Narag using the budget meme.

RIP.
The Wheel of Bans turns and weaves as the Wheel wills.

9uGKaJk.gif

Oct 25, 2017
There is no way this gets made with a rushed adaption. They had to convince the manga creator to do it because she hated the first series. She is an executive producer and would only allow them to do this if it was being done her way. None of the original cast is on the project because she didn't want to taint the new project.

Split cours would be the most likely route.

A manga author is not necessarily adverse to rushed adaptations of their own work (see Karakuri Circus), but in this case I don't know what exactly Takaya disliked about the original Fruits Basket anime.

I'd agree if it was anything other than that show as it was one of the earlier defining titles for the company and we're now in an age where Western interests get to make whatever they want so long as they have cash so who knows. I think Jarmel saw an ad for it in Times Square so they're not adverse to spending for this project.

Perhaps. It would be pretty crazy for Funimation to spearhead a multi-year project, but they might be banking that nostalgia will be strong enough to support them for that. Even in that case, I think two 25-episode seasons is more likely than 78+ episodes.

Narag using the budget meme.

RIP.

You can't simply buy good animation, but sustaining a project for a longer period of time does require paying more people for longer and so will tend to need a greater total budget than a shorter project that is paying people for less time.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
A manga author is not necessarily adverse to rushed adaptations of their own work (see Karakuri Circus), but in this case I don't know what exactly Takaya disliked about the original Fruits Basket anime.

Perhaps. It would be pretty crazy for Funimation to spearhead a multi-year project, but they might be banking that nostalgia will be strong enough to support them for that. Even in that case, I think two 25-episode seasons is more likely than 78+ episodes.

You can't simply buy good animation, but sustaining a project for a longer period of time does require paying more people for longer and so will tend to need a greater total budget than a shorter project that is paying people for less time.
Two 25 episode seasons might be possible but there is no chance it's less than that

And she hated a lot of things but the main thing is she didn't feel it was faithful to the source material

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
How many episodes left has ZombieLand Saga? I feel like the arpino concert will be the last one and that it will happen after the next episode

Loved the episode, although I was waiting a yugiri background episode, I appreciate that she got a more prominent role, and maybe we will see her background and tae's on next season, which will be great since I don't want this series to end yet

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
How many episodes left has ZombieLand Saga? I feel like the arpino concert will be the last one and that it will happen after the next episode

Loved the episode, although I was waiting a yugiri background episode, I appreciate that she got a more prominent role, and maybe we will see her background and tae's on next season, which will be great since I don't want this series to end yet

2 episodes and there's no confirmation of a second season or if it even going to need one as far as closing the story on one. It'll depend on the sales to see what avex and cygames will do after all but even then, not sure

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Given the sales, a second season of Zombieland Saga will not be stopped for financial reasons at least.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Karakuri Circus - 09

The pacing of this is something to behold, they're talking while walking while injecting characters and giving exposition of why said character is randomly walking with the cast.

Ain't got time for that.

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Nope, would of known that since I go through weekly manga sales and just double checked and nada (doubtful from what I know of the manga that the manga has anywhere enough content to release a vol 1 already). The only thing he could be talking about is the music released, which sold 9K and 6K for OP/ED respectively. But first thats not particuallry impresive or good anime music sales, and secondly music sales have little impact on anime financially unless an idol show but with great music sales which as stated before this is not.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
This is the boring answer but the truth. Both versions of FMA are really good but have tons of flaws. 03 is definitely stronger than Brotherhood in regards to direction and pacing but has much worse lows such as Robo-Archer and Rose being literally raped into a mute. Brotherhood has significantly better climaxes but the pacing is a mess almost throughout and the art direction/storyboarding at times could be lacking. They're both also almost fundamentally different works in terms of themes and tone. It's an apples/oranges comparison even if both are the same IP and contain many of the same characters. You can very easily end up liking one version of FMA while hating the other, all for legitimate reasons. It's why I find these arguments to be a waste of time to be honest.
Nah because 03 is just better.

That's a fact, innit.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

It's serialized on cycomi from cygames and published in volume by kodansha but it never reached top 50.

Given the sales, a second season of Zombieland Saga will not be stopped for financial reasons at least.

Well, many anime were successful in financial reasons but never got sequels so there's that. I don't doubt in it happening tho, I mostly believe on the story being closed on this season. If they go to another path it's another story.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It is not an adaption. What's important is the amount of merchandise they sale of the series, keychains, CDs, Plushes and etc. The amount of tourists it attracts to Saga is also important, as Otaku pilgrimages have become a big money maker for cities.

lol that part of saga is very true. the rest too ofc

OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, current cover image will be the final version for this OT. Edited slightly so for non-mobile users it's not just Tae and it's a picture that doesn't get as destroyed by the stretching if you are at 100% zoom on browsers.

Zombieland Saga Ep 10
Calling it now, Manager was the one who hit Sakura with the original truck and created this whole Idol squad in order to help her live her dreams that he cut short.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
GeGeGe no Kitaro: 31
This youtube based episode is amazing. That cryptocurrency joke at the end is the cherry on top.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
ZombieLand Saga 10
Kind of a Yuugiri episode? But not really? Sakura was losing her head at the idea of camping.

Oct 25, 2017
it wasnt even close to a yuugiri episode. tae will get more screentime then her in the last two episodes. RIP.

she could have had the most interesting backstory as a 200 year old yoshiwara courtesan when idols cant even hold hands

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
it wasnt even close to a yuugiri episode. tae will get more screentime then her in the last two episodes. RIP.

she could have had the most interesting backstory as a 200 year old yoshiwara courtesan when idols cant even hold hands

I figured they might not get around to everyone.

Looking back on it, episode 4 was kind of pointless narrative wise.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Zombieland Saga

Obviously Sakura was hit by the truck, didn't die, had an ugly scar and killed herself because her idol dream died too (bath in the opening and bands around one arm). Boom. :(

OmegaDL50

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I just mass purchased a ton of Anime DVDs and Blu Rays due to the recent Amazon sale.

I grabbed Trinity Blood, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Drifters, and Hellsing Ultimate.

Almost all of these are complete series, the lone exception being Hellsing Ultimate since I could only get Volumes 1 - 4, and 9 - 10. The boxed set for 5 - 8 is ridiculously overpriced for some strange reason.

Some of these series I've never seen before but am familiar with them. Notably Trinity Blood, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Drifters.

Right now I'm currently watching Trinity Blood.

To be perfectly honest I think I have a preference for Seinen Anime over Shonen variety, so anyone have recommendations for stuff like list above that I would enjoy?

Anyone? Right now I'm looking at couple more sets to pick up. A series called "X", Basilisk, and probably the GTO set I saw before, but I'm open to recommendations.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Zombieland Saga

Obviously Sakura was hit by the truck, didn't die, had an ugly scar and killed herself because her idol dream died too (bath in the opening and bands around one arm). Boom. :(

Nah, she got hit by the truck, didn't die, went to the idol concert, climbed on stage and died in a failed attempt to crowd surf (the flashes of memory when she sees spotlights, sensation of flying). Boom :(

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
cuz sao fans get it and it should happen to good series instead

But that's the beauty of it. SAO getting more and more sequels is the one just phenomenon in an unjust world.

Good series get to go out on a high note and leave people with fond memories.

SAO, conversely, continues its somber death march towards its distant but inevitable cancellation long after the formula has been milked dry in every conceivable way, gradually decreasing the quality of its own obituary all the way.

Daemul

Dec 13, 2017
Scotland
I have never really been the biggest fan of Fruits Baskets, but I'm happy that more Shojo manga NOT named Boys Over Flowers are getting adaptations, whether it's anime or live action, instead of the current status quo of everyone and mother resorting to adapting Boys Over Flowers for the 9829292929394th time.

It seriously feels as if TV Networks have met up and decided that they'll each get a turn at adapting Boys Over Flowers, because it literally gets a new adaptation every year now.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Zombie Land Saga 10
At least Sakura got her memories back?!

Still waiting for the Tae reveal. New guess is she's got part of the dog's brain in her head.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Zombie Land Saga 10
That remote location training pastiche was rather on point, even if the animation quality here looked rougher than the show has since episode three. Thankfully, some great gags and great faces helped it stay on point, even if the ending of the episode was so obvious that I couldn't help but laugh throughout it all. I have a suspicion I might know what they're doing with Sakura's backstory and how it ties in with the producer, but I'll wait to see if I'm right next week. For now, this was a solid mockery of the "concerned member of the group acts out but remembers being part of a team" episode that you frequently see in idol shows, though I do wonder what exactly Zombie Land Saga wants to do with Sakura's background as a way to tie things together thematically, as well as the end game for the show as well. I guess we'll see soon enough.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Saiki K. S2 END

The beginning of the season was kind of dull but it got its groove with the new characters and the destruction of humanity endgame. Looking forward to the special, I'm gonna miss Saiki and his weirdo friends.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I watched most of Season 1 in a single day over the weekend and I mostly agree. I think the show falters a bit near the end of the season, though that's more an issue with the source material and not the anime itself. Even so, the later episodes still have a good deal of interesting concepts, political issues, and intrigue that ends with quite a great reveal and setup for the second season.

Watching the second season tho...you can clearly see the drop in quality, even if the setup for the first portion of the season is both great from a story and a world-building standpoint. The raid stuff is particularly great thanks to how concise, yet deep the info drop is and how teams in Elder Tales tackles these dungeons. I'd say Akatsuki's story during the early portion of the season drags on a little bit, even though the events around it are super interesting and some of the world-changing events grow, change, and maintain interest in the world itself.

I'm hoping that as I get farther into Season 2 that it will end up being better than I remembered.

Just wrapped S1 of Log Horizon again. The last 3 eps of S1 yeah really kinda just fall off a cliff, or more kindly are really banking on your enjoyment of the last two arcs, or maybe it reveals how important resolving satisfactorily is to the overall enjoyment of an arc.

I don't know what they were doing - I can't tell if it finished halfway through an arc they quickly repurposed as a 'and then the adventure continues!' or they tried to cram an arc into 3,4 episodes and failed. The last half of episode 25 in particular is just a conversation between Shiroe and The Antagonist which almost completely comes out of nowhere (they were good enough to hint at her existance beforehand, I guess) where they talk in weird mysterious circles. It's one of those scenes where you trust that Shiroe knows what he's doing because they pull it off all the time, where the characters have more information than the reader, but then they don't pull it off at the end so it kind of just comes down to "Uhhhh I guess they know what's going on? Idk"

Now, I literally don't remember anything about S2 except there was an episode in a TV station or something and then another episode that followed the old Tea Party leader around China or something, so going back to rewatch that should be pretty fun!

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
I just mass purchased a ton of Anime DVDs and Blu Rays due to the recent Amazon sale.

I grabbed Trinity Blood, Trigun, Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Drifters, and Hellsing Ultimate.

Almost all of these are complete series, the lone exception being Hellsing Ultimate since I could only get Volumes 1 - 4, and 9 - 10. The boxed set for 5 - 8 is ridiculously overpriced for some strange reason.

Some of these series I've never seen before but am familiar with them. Notably Trinity Blood, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, and Drifters.

Right now I'm currently watching Trinity Blood.

To be perfectly honest I think I have a preference for Seinen Anime over Shonen variety, so anyone have recommendations for stuff like list above that I would enjoy?

Really hope Great Teacher Onizuka eventually gets a Blu Ray release, while I could get DVD's, I prefer the newer format. Of course I suppose there is little point if the material itself isn't remastered to take advantage of it.
I take it you want recs in general and you don't need them to be at this sale ? With that caveat:

Fate/Zero - perhaps a bit rote rec but still necessary one if you haven't seen it.
Mononoke - superb set of stories about Japanese ghost buster.
Afro Samurai - Feels like it belongs here, given the Drifter and Hellsing mentions. Doesn't overstay its welcome, packs some superb fighting scenes and more blood than you can fit in an olympic pool.

Below some series a bit at odds with your picks in that they're slower, with less or no action in them.
Mouryou no Hako - Occult murder mystery in 50's (60's ?) Japan.
Mushishi - It's Mushishi
House of Five Leaves - Slow and thoughtful samurai drama.
Shin Sekai Yori
Shigurui - Blood n'Guts samurai drama. Warning for extremely extreme content within. And the 'read the manga ending'.
Mind Game -

--------
Maybe Kemonozume also. With the caveat that it sort of goes bonkers with Yuasa unable to properly weigh its drama&comedy ratio and that you need to be able to handle the chara designs and general visual style.

Status
Not open for further replies.