• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Daemul

Dec 13, 2017
Scotland
Akanesasu Shoujo - Episode 11

Anime of the year. This show is just flat out fun.

It had a bit of a rocky start(except the for the fight scenes which were always amazing), but it's gotten better and better since then and has now peaked at such a high level. Brilliant.

If anyone is looking for an all-female tokusatsu with dope fight scenes, give this a try. Just remember to give it a few episodes to hit it's stride.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Goblin Slayer 10

Downtime episode.

It was obvious that something would happen eventually but that last shot with the footprints was still a bit unsettling. Gonna guess that Orcbolg will tell the town about this and how this will probably be a sign of an unusually big attack and request help of soldiers but it will fall on deaf ears but adventurers like Not Lancer will hear about it and offer their help

Seems like no episode 11 got delayed a week. Guess they want more time for the end

convo

Oct 25, 2017
Baki 25

It's cracking me up that Muhammad Ali (sorry, I mean Mohammad Alai) is a character in this show lol
And i keep wondering "is this okay?", plenty of real life people make appearances in anime and such, but he died fairly recently and his family is gonna be involved in the story. It's more shock and awe than being humorous.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Goblin Slayer 9: AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. "You'll slay them? Even in my dreams?" "Yes. I'm the Goblin Slayer, after all." White Fox really wasted themselves on this. It could've been great without the idiot parts, but the idiot parts are there.

SAO Alicization 9: Everything's against the Taboo Index, but you can command girls to "massage" you while you're both naked, huh? Okay then. :/

That's because the taboo index isn't a fair group of laws. The fact that alice was a criminal because of a acident and this entire situation shows that it's a unfair system created by the ruler of that world, even more because many rules there are suspicious and others that should be there aren't.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mean that kinda worked.. in lamest way possible.

Like Kawahara excuse when asked about why he so often use rapist character. "Look guys.. I'm just another dude that read so much of LN so theyre my inspiration so gimme a break ok"

So if you see this overplayed cheesy scenario honestly you just can get back to the fact most of these LN writer is usually a fan that happened start of their own LN writing lol

Well, that wasn't exactly what happened. lol He made three tweets about the episode with one saying sorry for the VA, another talking about what happened much like he's been doing on all of the episodes and explained why he used those things in the past since alicization is a LN based on the last arc of the web novel he made which was in 2005. He also said that for quite some time he can induce catharsis throught other methods and considering that he made it more than 10 years ago and in his new works he never made it again, I can believe on this. Ordinal scale which was writen by him had nothing like this, much like sao progressive and other of his works so yeah.

And in the end, every Sao release on LN is based on his web novel which began on 2001 and ended on 2008 but with Miki as his editor there editing the work for publishing and distribution so the actual new arc on sao will only be made now after volume 21 since before that everything was based and rewroten from his original works.

Hellwarden

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy 11

Oh man, the scene where Glasses Cop casually explained that he knew his limitations had me losing it.

Vape King storming away like a bitter ex was great.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Not sure if there's a separate thread to discuss non-new (in this case ancient) releases, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Anyone have any experience with DiscoTek's SDBD releases? They're basically SD episodes on Blu-ray disks mainly to save space (i guess)? I'm tempted to get Great Mazinger but I have a hard time reasoning why someone would go for the SDBD instead of just the cheaper DVD sets. Image quality should be the same, right?

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if there's a separate thread to discuss non-new (in this case ancient) releases, so apologies if this is in the wrong place.

Anyone have any experience with DiscoTek's SDBD releases? They're basically SD episodes on Blu-ray disks mainly to save space (i guess)? I'm tempted to get Great Mazinger but I have a hard time reasoning why someone would go for the SDBD instead of just the cheaper DVD sets. Image quality should be the same, right?
in most of their shows cases theres just no other version available to be bought (Katekyo Hitman Reborn for example).

StarCreator

Oct 25, 2017

There isn't any rule against it, and I think it's actually encouraged for the seasonal thread to be a catch-all for everything.

In theory the BDs could look better even at standard definition as DVDs both use an inferior compression method and have a relatively low maximum bitrate. Actual results may vary from what's technically possible, of course.

abellwillring

Oct 25, 2017
Austin, TX
I am getting caught up on Golden Kamuy and am up to episode 15 now. The Edogai storyline is honestly probably the weirdest thing I've ever seen animated.

This show is sort of all over the map tbh. I feel like I enjoyed it a little more earlier on.

Zelenogorsk

Banned
Mar 1, 2018
Hunter x Hunter (2011) 06 - 29

First few episodes didn't grab me but I picked it back up and now I can't stop watching. Really great stuff. Just gotta get through finals week and then I can binge the rest of it. One of those cases of everyone telling me to watch a show and then I finally watch it and turns out they were right!

Also the Galneryus ED kicks ass. Finally some REAL power metal in my anime.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Hunter x Hunter (2011) 06 - 29

First few episodes didn't grab me but I picked it back up and now I can't stop watching. Really great stuff. Just gotta get through finals week and then I can binge the rest of it.
The Hunter Exam (aka the start of the series) is one of my least favorite parts of Hunter X Hunter. After that the series is good though. I have no doubt you will happily binge the rest :)

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2 11

inb4 we get josuke/rohan redux and vape wizard whips the monk's ass because he's too mad to see straight

Double Decker 11

well that went places lol

trying to remember if I was misled by anime hair color too and this was hidden in plain sight given anything else unnatural was probably dyed

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

It had a bit of a rocky start(except the for the fight scenes which were always amazing), but it's gotten better and better since then and has now peaked at such a high level. Brilliant.

If anyone is looking for an all-female tokusatsu with dope fight scenes, give this a try. Just remember to give it a few episodes to hit it's stride.
Listen to this guy.

It is my personal hidden gem this season. Seeing the characters interact in the weird situations they keep get thrown into and them bonding is really great.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
The Reign of Shoe #8
SnDjvbZ.jpg

p4W66le.jpg

pU4YQZm.jpg

nXRlToD.jpg

Poor Shoe. In another anime, he would have been the most popular guy. Sadly for him, Masaki exists in this.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
yes it's pretty much entirely standalone. the main characters of the series amount to several brief cameos and the story is completely separate from the arc in season 2 that involves the same two characters. I think there's even a decent case to be made that not seeing the series arc makes the introductory scenes more powerful because of how Yamada reestablishes all the nuances of their relationship from the ground up.
As someone who had no idea it was even part of a series until told by someone after the showing let out, yes it does.
Alright then, thank you!

SOLDIER

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I needed a new daily anime to watch while eating lunch, so I was settled on checking out A Certain Magical Index.

All I know about it is that it's a long series, has a spinoff with a cool girl character design who has Yusuke's spirit gun (but like, science-powered?) and some psycho character who is getting his own series next year or something.

Fired up the first episode and, well it's certainly got its fair share of anime cliches. Am I in for a good time or a (insert Sans meme here)?

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
I needed a new daily anime to watch while eating lunch, so I was settled on checking out A Certain Magical Index.

All I know about it is that it's a long series, has a spinoff with a cool girl character design who has Yusuke's spirit gun (but like, science-powered?) and some psycho character who is getting his own series next year or something.

Fired up the first episode and, well it's certainly got its fair share of anime cliches. Am I in for a good time or a (insert Sans meme here)?
It's bad. Deals almost exclusively in creepy garbage and unintelligible light novel dialogue.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Railgun is miles better than Index IMO.

both adaptations are garbage in their own way though. Index by it rushing in every season leading to the shitfest of s3 and railgun by it's fillers that alter the characters personality and making kuroko obsession with misaka being much bigger than it is in the manga. And the great news? the director for s3 will be the same of the first two seasons so the same problems will be there.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

wouldn't put that way to me but I really like the anime for it's interactions, characters and overall. I will give it a 8 at the end.

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal

Despite enjoying the series, each season of Index is just getting more and more rushed, the 3rd season is apparently adapting 9 novel volumes in 26 episodes, and it really shows...

On another note, I'm enjoying Slime isekai alot, I wish more light novels adaptations were done like this (that is, not being rushed)...

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Despite enjoying the series, each season of Index is just getting more and more rushed, the 3rd season is apparently adapting 9 novel volumes in 26 episodes, and it really shows...

On another note, I'm enjoying Slime isekai alot, I wish more light novels adaptations were done like this (that is, not being rushed)...

In the case of slime, the anime is a adaptation of the manga adaptation and original light novel merged in one with the anime. i'ts a pretty unique case with them picking the parts of both and putting together since the manga and LN have some differences in some parts, be it for less or more content on the manga.

Oct 25, 2017

Index is one of the more definitive and widely recognized LN series penned by one of the more highly productive writers in the genre. Because of its age, it has numerous elements that other series have taken inspiration for.

You can also check out Heavy Object.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Thunderbolt Fantasy S2 11

Enigmatic Gale defeated by someone who knows when to quit.

Is this 2-cour?

Oct 25, 2017
why do I keep watching this animes of Chinese Origin that always get so good at the 11th hour and get no continuations to continue their stories :(

Xuan Yuan Sword Luminary is so good

dimb

Oct 25, 2017
Liz and the Blue Bird
This is not a reaction that I typically have, especially to KyoAni works, but something here hit a breaking point with me in regards to the coy avoidance of homosexuality here that tremendously soured the experience. At least one of the characters is overtly written and presented as gay; the movie is entirely about her feelings for someone, and yet...the material goes out of its way to avoid the subject. The movie's self-amused game of keepaway with romantic aspects takes on a frustrating tone of regressive innocence, and the material here feels even more slight with no romantic stakes.

This arm's length approach to emotion extends across the entirety of the film as the school setting is treated as an allegorical bird cage for viewers, offering as little insight into these characters as possible. As a result I feel unable to even attach a genre to the film. It only has touches of drama tucked in near the end of the story. A fairy tale/storybook version of the story runs along the modern school narrative, but the presence of this fantastical version of events lacks any substance, meaning, or purpose beyond communicating the obvious themes in a blunt manner. This is made all that much more meaningless by the modern characters slowly laying out the parallels.

But the soundscape here is immaculate. When the movie does finally decided to be open emotionally it pushes forward an unforgettable musical performance that carries thematic intensity. To what end though? There is a dysfunction to the relationship between the two protagonists that will be familiar to those with experience with the related television series. Nozomi comes across as a toxic friend, and the safe note of reconciliation the story chooses to end on fails to resonate with the theme the rest of the narrative pushes so hard for.

Status
Not open for further replies.