• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Asobi Asobe OVA (specials?) episode 1-2

More Asobi Asobe is always a good thing. I wish they were more than 6 minutes (with full OPs).

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Goblin Slayer End

I loved the ending, it was a perfect closure to what seems like an "origins" season I'm kinda excited what the second season will be

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
Hi Score Girl 1-12 END

The CG took some getting used to but after a couple episodes I stopped noticing it.

This show was only vaguely pandering in my direction (never been super into fighting games), but I was still able to empathize with Haruo, dumbass though he may be. I'm always down for slapstick comedy, so seeing Ono beat him up or his own subconscious take the form of fighting game characters to smack Haruo was a lot of fun. 8/10, looking forward to the OVA episodes.

Obviously Ono should be the wife and Hidaka should be the mistress.

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie, at first I thought that Hi Score Girl was praised for the video game references ( Which by the way must be one of the best series in any medium on putting these references without making them feel forced and also showing the true love that the author has for the hobby) but after watching the series I realized that the actual romantic story is very well done, I loved how "pure" everything was, and I ended up having a lot of empathy for the three main characters, I had my heart broken with all 3 of them in specific moments, something that rarely has happened to me in this kind of romantic triangle stories since I always end up hating the character whose affection is being fought by 2 other characters, or one of the pretenders is a hige asshole that doesn't really deserve to be loved

I can't decide which was the best anime of the season for me, ZombieLand Saga, Golden Gamuy, Goblin Slayer, Bunny Girl Senpai and Hi Score Girl all ended up make me appreciate the medium more than I did some months ago, so I don't want to pick one as my favorite and I'm just happy to have been able to enjoy them while also being sad because I don't know when they are going to continue

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Goblin Slayer End

I loved the ending, it was a perfect closure to what seems like an "origins" season I'm kinda excited what the second season will be
If the followup is a movie/special, then it'll probably just be the rest of volume 3+4 that wasn't in this season.

If it's a proper second season then we can maybe expect volume 5 in the mix as well, which is far better than anything in the first four volumes and practically "legitimately good".

sibarraz

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
If the followup is a movie/special, then it'll probably just be the rest of volume 3+4 that wasn't in this season.

If it's a proper second season then we can maybe expect volume 5 in the mix as well, which is far better than anything in the first four volumes and practically "legitimately good".

You don't consider the first volumes good or is a case that volume 5 is "really good because of some of the best things that the medium had saw"

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
You don't consider the first volumes good or is a case that volume 5 is "really good because of some of the best things that the medium had saw"
The first few volumes of Goblin Slayer, which the anime adapts, are pretty mediocre. Volume 5 has a much tighter focus, higher stakes, better characterization, better "Goblin Slayer planning things" sequences at a more frantic pace, and better writing in general. It also has actually decent LBGT rep with one character who doesn't have "gay" as their defining trait and no one makes any kind of big deal out of it which I didn't expect from this kind of series so that's neat too.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
For the extremely few interested, the sakuga community dropped their 2018 year-end roundup: https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/12/30/a-look-at-the-sakuga-and-animation-of-2018/

I'm still wrapping up some stuff I missed this year and waiting on some films to come to the states but my picks would be something along the lines of:

Best episode: Violet Evergarden #10 (dir. Taichi Ogawa)
H/M: Yama no Susume S3 #10 (dir. China)
Best show: Yama no Susume S3 (dir. Yusuke Yamamoto)
Best movie: Liz and the Blue Bird (dir. Naoko Yamada)
Best OP/ED: Violet Evergarden ED (Haruka Fujita solo KA)
H/M: Darling in the Franxx ED1 (Mai Yoneyama solo KA)
Best composite: SSSS.GRIDMAN (dir. Akira Amemiya)
H/M: Liz and the Blue Bird (cinematographer Kazuya Takao)
Best animation design: Hisone & Masotan (char. designer Toshinao Aoki, Yoshiyuki Ito)
H/M: Liz and the Blue Bird (char. designer Futoshi Nishiya)
Creator discovery: Tomohiro Furukawa (director of Revue Starlight), Takushi Koide (main animator on Revue Starlight)

Last edited:

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
For the extremely few interested, the sakuga community dropped their 2018 year-end roundup: https://blog.sakugabooru.com/2018/12/30/a-look-at-the-sakuga-and-animation-of-2018/

I'm still wrapping up some stuff I missed this year and waiting on some films to come to the states but my picks would be something along the lines of:

Best episode: Violet Evergarden #10 (dir. Taichi Ogawa)
Best show: Yama no Susume S3
Best movie: Liz and the Blue Bird (dir. Naoko Yamada)
Best OP/ED: Violet Evergarden ED (Haruka Fujita solo KA)
Best composite: SSSS.GRIDMAN
Best animation design: Hisone & Masotan (char. designer Toshinao Aoki)
Creator discovery: Takushi Koide (main animator on Revue Starlight)
Recency bias ignores Devilman Crybaby :(

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
both shows I'm excited for next season are full CG (Revisions and Kouya no Kotobuki). FInally the promised future has arrived.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
GioGio 13
Nice to see some more interesting applications of Gold Experience here with the conclusion of fight and more appreciation for Gio as part of the gang. Still kind of eh on the Hit Squad so far.

Goblin Slayer 12
Not a bad ending, but definitely full of some of that cheesy goodness singing the praises of the Goblin Slayer. I still enjoy the mechanics of the fights more than the actual story or background of the characters, like using the protection spell twice to trap the Goblin Lord or the use of diversionary tactics to take down one of the goblin giants.

I'm looking forward to another season and another helping of angst and cheese from the man with a face so spectacular they can't show it on TV (because we are all the goblin slayer).
Hey remember when there were two FLCL sequels this year

Remember that
I don't want to.
I liked Alternative more than the original.
Heresy. Alternative was good, but still faltered in the middle of the run.

HStallion

Oct 25, 2017
Fathom Events Link

Fathom Events is going to be playing the first episode of Mob Psycho 100 in theaters this Saturday and includes an OVA recap of the first season from Reigen's POV. I don't think we'd been told about the OVA recap of season 1 from Reigen's POV. That's actually pretty cool and no doubt hilarious as everything involving Reigen tends to be.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The Rose of Versailles 04

Pray for me for I will not survive this show.

DvwdxncUcAAbUJL.jpg
Dvwd22zUwAAent6.jpg

There is a lust for power and greed in Madame du Barry but I really can't help but see that Lady Antoinette could at least address her. Of course, we now know her upbringing forbades her from acknowledging her. It's really unfortunate.

DSP

Oct 25, 2017
so much Fate shit is being made,fucking hell lol.

Case Files looks fun, I will probably watch it.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
Any word on the new Boogiepop show? I never saw the original but am entirely interested in this new one because of the OPM staff.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Lord El-Melloi II's Case Files {Rail Zeppelin} Grace note 0
Having missed the debut during the New Year's Eve Fate stream, I'm glad CR put this up for simulcasting as soon as they did. As a preview of what's to come, it's a pretty interesting take that feels pretty distinct from a lot of other Type-Moon content out there. Focusing on the tribulations of a now adult Waver Velvet as he plays "5-D chess" with the other members of the Clock Tower elite, the show primarily seems to explore the kind of person he's become in the ten years that have passed since Fate/Zero, and I'm guessing the show will focus on him along with his students solving supernatural cases given how this episode played out. The writing is fairly sharp, and manages to walk the line between being comical and macabre when it needs to, and though it takes a while for him to show his colors, Waver feels very in-step with his characterization in Fate/Zero despite the ten-year gap (and change in writers, though I believe Makoto Sanda has worked with Gen Urobochi before on Chaos Dragon).

As for the production, I'm a little torn. As some of you know, I have a bit of a love/hate relationship with director Makoto Kato (Beautiful Bones, Bloom Into You). While I like some aspects of his direction and animation, which translate into some of the most visually striking parts of this episode as well as the cold and distant feeling evoked by Clock Tower itself thanks to the more realistically detailed background design, there's a certain stiffness that permeated this episode that I couldn't put my finger on, but bothered me no end. For a show that primarily appears to be people talking about magecraft in stuffy, close-knit environments, it lacked the kind of dynamic direction throughout that would have made many of those scenes feel somewhat more interesting to watch. I also have to say this is an incredibly rough-looking pilot for a series this far out. I would normally expect more polish on a show being showcased in this format, so I can take some comfort that this doesn't seem like a show that will rely too much on action, thankfully.

As a taste of what's to come, I'm definitely interested to watch more. Waver feels just like he did in Fate/Zero, and the idea of him outmaneuvering other members of the Clock Tower with the aid of his eccentric students seems like it'll lead to a show that feels very different from the usual Type-Moon fair. As to whether or not the production itself will improve come summer, I have my doubts but I'm hopeful I can be proved wrong. If nothing else, the technical side won't be bad from what I can tell, but just good enough; hopefully, the script will carry the show should that come to pass.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
so much Fate shit is being made,fucking hell lol.

Case Files looks fun, I will probably watch it.

staff.[/QUOTE]

Fate is huge and it meets Aniplex expectations all the time be it in BD, FGO or other ventures related or not to them so it's expected that the franchise keep coming, even more when there's many manga, novels and game content to be adapted with different series (like mainline with the VN and Zero, Apocrypha, Emiya cooking and others)

Any word on the new Boogiepop show? I never saw the original but am entirely interested in this new one because of the OPM

You can watch normally. The original anime of the 2000s wasn't a adaptation of the Light Novel but a original sequel to it. This adaptation of Madhouse will be the actual first one.

Last edited:

Jarmel

The Jackrabbit Always Wins
Oct 25, 2017
New York
Adventures of Adult Waver-0

This dialogue was pure nonsense even for Fate standards. That said it was also really entertaining and I enjoyed all the Waver bullying. I don't trust Troyca to have consistent animation so we'll see if the TV series is able to keep this OVA standard (which wasn't even that great to begin with).

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
It's 2019 already? If I won't manage to post some impressions/review of David Pro's magnus opus in this January, kindly ban my ass until Shigurui S2 comes.

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
El Melloi Case Files 0

Pretty nice overall and I enjoyed the Waver antics. I suppose the rest of the series will be about mage politics, which should be interesting. The cast is certainly entertaining and even if the production values weren't the highest it was decent.

AOTY Voting Thread and Winter 19 OT
OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
AOTY 18 Voting thread will be up in the regular EtcetEra section around 24 hours from now (you have until the 31st to vote) please read the rules when it comes to ordering and not using power gaps for the sake of counting up votes in a sane manner. The thread will have an ugly ass image at the end displaying how to order/not use power gap in your list, so you can't say you didn't see that damn gaudy image displaying the rules. Winter 19 OT will be up around 48 hours from now since episodes start around the 3rd for the west.

JoeyJungle

Oct 27, 2017
Pretty near the end of Bakuman, I was wondering why at the annual party everyone's holding their drink glass with a napkin wrapped around the glass? I think it was only one author doing it before and I figured germaphobia was just part of his quirks, but now all the characters are doing it. Is that a Japanese thing? What's the reason?

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
So I need a good anime I can watch on a 4-hr flight later this week that's also not going to get me side-eyed by my neighbors and I'm not exactly sure what to pick up and watch. Any legit suggestions?

Mainly looking at what's available on VRV, Netflix, or Amazon right now and I've already seen A Place Further Than The Universe and Yuru Camp.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New Stray Dogs atop of the other stuff coming next year kinda seals the deal for 2019 to be really great. Just need Haikyuu now.

Andrew J

Oct 26, 2017
The Adirondacks
AOTY 18 Voting thread will be up in the regular EtcetEra section around 24 hours from now (you have until the 31st to vote) please read the rules when it comes to ordering and not using power gaps for the sake of counting up votes in a sane manner. The thread will have an ugly ass image at the end displaying how to order/not use power gap in your list, so you can't say you didn't see that damn gaudy image displaying the rules. Winter 19 OT will be up around 48 hours from now since episodes start around the 3rd for the west.

That should be enough time for me to catch up on Bunnygirl-senpai and Zombieland Saga.

Oct 25, 2017
Cells at Work special episode

oh joy cell cycle stuff, after attending over 50 cell cycle talks, only thing i can only imagine as more of a drag to watch an anime of is Mosquito talks.

Normal cell was actually cute though.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Kamuy 1 - 12

This is so good from it being a twisted version of Shokugeki no Soma, and some surprising light hearted moments amongst all the grim messed up stuff that happens.

Golden Kamuy 13

Da fuq!?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
I discovered the hard way on my current trip that VRV shuts down if it thinks you are in a non-supported country; I can't even watch pre-downloaded shows. Bit of a bummer there. Maybe it can be fooled by airplane mode while on a flight, though?

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
So I need a good anime I can watch on a 4-hr flight later this week that's also not going to get me side-eyed by my neighbors and I'm not exactly sure what to pick up and watch. Any legit suggestions?

Mainly looking at what's available on VRV, Netflix, or Amazon right now and I've already seen A Place Further Than The Universe and Yuru Camp.
Ping Pong the animation
Devilman Crybaby
Land of the Lustrous
Bunny Drop
Bloom into You if you haven't watched this season

Status
Not open for further replies.