• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty near the end of Bakuman, I was wondering why at the annual party everyone's holding their drink glass with a napkin wrapped around the glass? I think it was only one author doing it before and I figured germaphobia was just part of his quirks, but now all the characters are doing it. Is that a Japanese thing? What's the reason?

if you tend to get sweaty hands in social situations, keeping a napkin around your drink is an easy way to be able to keep them dry without calling attention to the fact that you have sweaty palms

no one wants to shake your sweat drenched hand afterall

no idea if that's why everyone in the anime is doing it though

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Golden Kamuy: 1
You know, despite the hilariously badly done bear and the show in general just not being pretty at all, it has a premise that has me hooked.

Oct 25, 2017
Hozuki no Reitetsu S2 26

The best shot of 2018 anime:

6xW2ZEL.jpg

Chaos2Frozen

Nov 3, 2017
To Aru Majutsu no Index III Episode 13

I actually kinda like this episode even though it blast through 3 story beats in one go, must have lowered my expectations by that much.

It really is credit to the original story and even in it's butchered form the potential still shone through and I can still get hyped for the conclusion. Index is best when you can see multiple POV of the same scenario.

Completely forgotten about the Boob Kingdom as well.

Trojita

Oct 25, 2017
They are still putting yellow subtitles on anime blu-rays still? Those things need to come with warnings.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Azumanga Daioh 16
This episode should come with a diabetes warning. Penguin Chiyo-chan is just too cute.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
31 days to catch up on all 2018 anime and compile votes for AOTY

...yeah no way I'm finishing in time. time to preemptively award all points to Yama no Susume S3

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
So... No Anime of the Year thread?
AOTY 18 Voting thread will be up in the regular EtcetEra section around 24 hours from now (you have until the 31st to vote) please read the rules when it comes to ordering and not using power gaps for the sake of counting up votes in a sane manner. The thread will have an ugly ass image at the end displaying how to order/not use power gap in your list, so you can't say you didn't see that damn gaudy image displaying the rules. Winter 19 OT will be up around 48 hours from now since episodes start around the 3rd for the west.

Oct 27, 2017
Watched the last episode of Goblin Slayer.

Overall I found it interesting but I feel like it doesn't know what it wants to be. Does it want to be a "fan service" anime or a story about people affected by the goblin menace?

Will watch a second season if it comes but I hope they fix this issue the next time.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Overall I found it interesting but I feel like it doesn't know what it wants to be. Does it want to be a "fan service" anime or a story about people affected by the goblin menace?
I think it's the latter, with the former. It's typical to have stories about something completely unrelated, tarnished with unnecessary fanservice and this is one of them. I frankly think Goblin Slayer at least doesn't have so much of it that it detracts from its focus, unlike some other shows.

Oct 27, 2017
I think it's the latter, with the former. It's typical to have stories about something completely unrelated, tarnished with unnecessary fanservice and this is one of them. I frankly think Goblin Slayer at least doesn't have so much of it that it detracts from its focus, unlike some other shows.
True.

I feel most of those moments we got were probably done by the director of the anime (maybe the source material too but I am not familiar with it) because that's how most anime is done these days. Hopefully, next season does fix this because it would improve the anime a lot if they tone it down a bit more.

Aiii

何これ
Oct 24, 2017
One Piece - 312
Should I really be crying this hard over a damn cartoon ship? Holy fuck.

pbayne

Oct 27, 2017
Basketball with Kuroko:Last Game

Monstars versus looney toons. This was Space Jam 2. It was terrible but hilarious. The antagonists in this are incredible even by sports show standards.

Oct 27, 2017
Happy New Year guys and gals!
Happy New Years to you as well!

So what should I look forward to the upcoming season?

I watched and loved the following: Devilman Crybaby
Zombieland Saga
High Score Girl
Lupin III
Megalo Box
Planet With
Aggretsuko
Horse Girl Derby
Girl in the Twilight
Bloom into You

I also find Baki to look cool but haven't watched it yet because of Netflix not putting the whole season up.

There are more that I forgot to mention but these should give you guys an idea of what I like.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Happy New Years to you as well!

So what should I look forward to the upcoming season?

I watched and loved the following: Devilman Crybaby
Zombieland Saga
High Score Girl
Lupin III
Megalo Box
Planet With
Aggretsuko
Horse Girl Derby
Girl in the Twilight
Bloom into You

I also find Baki to look cool but haven't watched it yet because of Netflix not putting the whole season up.

There are more that I forgot to mention but these should give you guys an idea of what I like.

Considering what you generally like, you probably will like those:

Boggiepop Wa Warawanai
Dororo
Kaguya-sama
Yakusoku no Neverland

Of course, I'm only counting adaptations since with originals I have no idea what to expect from them. haha

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Been watching some of the sentai series I missed this year
Bloom Into You 1-6
Really enjoying this. By far my favorite non sequel show of the second half of '18. Hope the remainder of the season is as good.

Revue Starlight 1-6
The last fourth of every episode is neat. Unfortunately, I'm finding the build up to the battles being rather dull (probably doesn't help I've been watching Utena where the lead up to the duel is usually more engaging than the duel itself, though it may not be a fair comparison). I don't think the cast relationship is particularly compelling when it is tied to BaKaren. Favorite episode was the sixth where she is not included in the performance.

Oct 27, 2017
Considering what you generally like, you probably will like those:

Boggiepop Wa Warawanai
Dororo
Kaguya-sama
Yakusoku no Neverland

Of course, I'm only counting adaptations since with originals I have no idea what to expect from them. haha
Thanks!

I was looking forward to Kaguya and Dororo looks familiar but I am not sure from where I knew it. The other two looks interesting so I will check them out for sure.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Thanks!

I was looking forward to Kaguya and Dororo looks familiar but I am not sure from where I knew it. The other two looks interesting so I will check them out for sure.

You're welcome.

Dororo is a new adaptation of the manga of Tezuka from the 60s so maybe that's why you know it? Or by the game Blood will tell which was on the ps2. Anyway, it's a really good manga and this new anime seems to be adapting it very well for a more modern things.

Deleted member 5535

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To Aru Majutsu no Index III Episode 13

I actually kinda like this episode even though it blast through 3 story beats in one go, must have lowered my expectations by that much.

It really is credit to the original story and even in it's butchered form the potential still shone through and I can still get hyped for the conclusion. Index is best when you can see multiple POV of the same scenario.

Completely forgotten about the Boob Kingdom as well.

It's the best arc on the anime by far for now. Even if still a bit rushed in some moments, the anime since the last arc is now understandable unlike before.

Oct 27, 2017
You're welcome.

Dororo is a new adaptation of the manga of Tezuka from the 60s so maybe that's why you know it? Or by the game Blood will tell which was on the ps2. Anyway, it's a really good manga and this new anime seems to be adapting it very well for a more modern things.
Now that I think about it, I remember watching Astro Boy and Kimba the white lion as a kid and seeing the art of the manga when I looked it up it looked familiar because it turns out they were made by the same author.

Will definitely watch it now that I know this.

SageShinigami

Oct 27, 2017
Banana Fish 2-8.

This show is fucking heavy. Compared to watching Reincarnated as a Slime which I breezed through, this is like being pulled through the ringer.

Edit:

pZHMOnh.jpg

...I feel cleaner after watching an episode of Goblin Slayer. At least the goblins get murdered in quick fashion. FFS.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
its time for my regular 'i'm gonna watch these shows from last year but probably wont because of some weird struggle where i end up just watching LPs on Youtube instead' list for 2019
  • Zombieland Idols
  • SSSS Gridman
  • Bloom into You
  • Revue Starlight
  • Hi Score Girl
honestly if i can get through that i'll be happyish. Don't really like watching week to week so end of season is my favourite time. There's a couple others I want to check out like Bunny-senpai, Devilman, etc but eh

Oct 25, 2017
HeroAca s3 isnt performing too well on early vote returns here, surprising, I guess 2nd half really burned folks out, which I dont understand considering it was one of the strongest pieces of writing from Horikoshi.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts
What the... I just payed my year subscription to Funimation on the 29th and now I'm apparently back to being a Free member? Found out when they sent me a "why did you cancel?" e-mail, this is on top of apparently not being able to play any of the streaming videos for several days before it randomly fixed itself. Gaaah I hate Funimation so much sometimes.

KraytarJ

Nov 14, 2017
AOTY is honestly really hard to vote for this year. Even just looking at the stuff I watched as it aired narrowing my list down to a top 10 would be tough and now with the yearly roundup I'm already adding in Hi score girl and Bloom into you into the mix. Last year was pretty insane in retrospect.

Status
Not open for further replies.