• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
P5A Dark Sun
Nicely paced OVA 1 covering the next to last arc of the game, with some good changes to how certain events unfolded. Wish there was a bit more done with the Akechi and Shido fights, but Rivers in the Desert helped a bit in the latter.

Sucks the ending is still a few months away, but it does coincide with Atlus releasing news on P5R, which I'm definitely looking forward to.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
I see a lot of mentions of Revue Starlight in the AOTY thread. Is that really that good?

It's one of those shows that wears its heart on its sleeve for better or worse. Chances are it'll misstep in a place or two for you as I think it did for a lot of people, but even then you can tell this was a huge passion project for Furukawa & co. and it's hard to really dislike it at any point. And of course if you care even a little bit about animation and visual storytelling then this is pretty much a must-see.

Revue Starlight 1-6
Favorite episode was the sixth where she is not included in the performance.

Nice, I thought I was gonna have to be the only one with the hottake of preferring the middle episodes focusing on side characters more. Even I can't deny Masayuki Kojima's crazy good ep 4 though.

Last edited:

NESpowerhouse

Oct 25, 2017
Virginia
I always start the year with a movie, so this year I decided to watch the 3 Evangelion Rebuild movies since my brother had them and I'm hot off finishing the series once again.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
Castlevania s2
80% of this was boring vampire politics (with Peter fucking Stomare inexplicably wasted as a bit player angry viking vampire who gets offed halfway through and does nothing of consequence) with the main, charismatic fun trio trapped in a box for like three episodes. But fuck - that fight at the beginning of episode seven was incredible. That whole episode was amazing basically - sakuga as fuck, fantastic voicework, the orchestral Bloody Tears made my hairs stand on end. I don't know if it was worth the amount of plodding episodes or not but it was certainly a great climax to the series.

I could honestly have done with more Drac. He was this really imposing presence throughout and them letting him unleash the beast in the finale was fantastic, but I would have liked to see him do more this season than brood.

Anyway, on to something tonally whiplashy I guess.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
I watched the PV for How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno! and it makes the series seem pervy.

Oct 26, 2017
Not current season, sorry, but just saw that Boogiepop Phantom is up on Netflix and would urge anyone who hasn't had a chance to give it a go.

It's a kind of modern horror series, with each episode being basically standalone but still tied together very closely. It's a series where none of the characters no everything and as a viewer you have to focus to get the full story but the aesthetic and plot is strange and bizarre and a lot of fun to piece together.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
I watched the PV for How Clumsy You Are, Miss Ueno! and it makes the series seem pervy.

It kinda is. Lightly though. Mostly Ueno makes inventions that try to make her crush do pervy things (like making a skirt that blacks out everything under it so you can't see anything, and making him look up it) but they usually backfire because she's kind of an idiot.

Rychu

Oct 25, 2017
Utah, USA
Rising of the Shield Hero (Winter 2019 anime starting next week) Opening:

Sounds really good and the visuals are incredible.

Tunahead

Oct 30, 2017
Not current season, sorry, but just saw that Boogiepop Phantom is up on Netflix and would urge anyone who hasn't had a chance to give it a go.

It's a kind of modern horror series, with each episode being basically standalone but still tied together very closely. It's a series where none of the characters no everything and as a viewer you have to focus to get the full story but the aesthetic and plot is strange and bizarre and a lot of fun to piece together.

Boogiepop Phantom is a sequel to the story that's finally getting an anime adaptation in the coming season, though. There will be spoilers, as well as dire confusion, because Boogiepop Phantom kind of assumes a certain level of knowledge about the events of Boogiepop And Others.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The Rose of Versailles 05

This was a beautifully tragic moment even if I am in favour of Lady Antoinette addressing her.
Dv7Jy40VsAA5dUD.jpg
Dv7JzdeVYAA-CCp.jpg
Dv7J1G2UYAAh7_6.jpg
This also has me thinking about the more modern and progressive lens with which I am viewing. I do not think it's necessarily a bad way to look at it but I do wonder if there are blindspots to this perspective, in terms of me grasping how the character feel. The moment in the screenshots above however proves me wrong, it is elegant and effective in relaying her sense of compromise over having to address Madame du Barry. A drop of red taint(?) spreads over a spotless white rose invoking this feeling of a change of mind/heart creeping in. This compromise was further amplified by the moment she actually addressed:
Again, I don't think what she did is wrong but the moment does not pass silently rather, it goes with a storm. The imagery of the mood and change in status quo feel powerful enough to overshadow the lens with which I view. It's rather impressive how well it aged in this sense, all while relying on animation, choice colours and sound than (just) dialogue.

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
Winter OT will be up within the next 4-6 hours depending when I get home....not like any new shows started yet anyway.

This just reminds me how things have changed when it comes to post counts of these threads. Weren't there like 3 OTs during some season few years ago (back in GAF when the post count limit was 20k)? Not that this is necessary bad thing though.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
This just reminds me how things have changed when it comes to post counts of these threads. Weren't there like 3 OTs during some season few years ago (back in GAF when the post count limit was 20k)? Not that this is necessary bad thing though.

That's because they were used as chatrooms (even with IRC.)

Discord saps some of it, the whole community didn't move as parts had long since wandered to twitter for one reason or another before the old place imploded, and there's less engagement for those that used the old threads for attention so they have little value to them now.

Oct 25, 2017
The amount of words I was spending on writing about anime on videogame enthusiasts forums was enough to generate several short stories, thus, since coming here it was more productive to actually pen stories instead of writing about shows. I want to make it big as a YA author.

Oct 25, 2017
Tonegawa Middle Management Blues 24 END

What an odd show. Haven't had a Fukumoto show in like a decade and we end up with a 2cour spinoff of Kaiji about the 2nd in command villain.

It's good though. I'm kinda sad no one really watched it. Half this episode is concurrent with the skyscraper walk from Kaiji s1 but it's too horrifying to show, so it's like half an ad for a show from a decade ago?

Kaiji is barely in it. I dont think he even has speaking lunes, he just kinda wanders in at some points to let you know the timeline. In the 2nd cour the villain of the underground dice game gets like 5 episodes in a row. Most of the cast is Men in Black you can barely tell apart. It works though. Its such an odd product that I dont really know why they adapted it instead of more Kaiji or something else. Certainly a good show though.

Oct 26, 2017
Bloom into You 13

Wait, this is the end? Ugh.
I kind of expected as possibility something unfinished as it's a manga adaptation, but in this case it bothers me because it got close to what I guess is the climax of the series? the play they are preparing. It left me with the feeling it could end in three more episodes.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Read a little the Miss Ueno manga. "I JUST WANT YOU TO DRINK MY PEE!" Hilarious. I hope they include that line in the anime.

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
Does Shield Hero have the have the usual isekai stuff where he buys a slave (that's always a hot anime girl) but they treat it as a good thing?

KillerMan91

Oct 25, 2017
That's because they were used as chatrooms (even with IRC.)

Discord saps some of it, the whole community didn't move as parts had long since wandered to twitter for one reason or another before the old place imploded, and there's less engagement for those that used the old threads for attention so they have little value to them now.

That makes sense.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
Can you spoil for me why? I want to see if I should bother with it.
It's isekai where
the main character gets summoned as a hero alongside 3 others, but he's immediately disgraced by an antagonist's false rape accusation and then has to work his way back up as an outsider with a destroyed reputation

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's isekai where
the main character gets summoned as a hero alongside 3 others, but he's immediately disgraced by an antagonist's false rape accusation and then has to work his way back up as an outsider with a destroyed reputation
That sounds interesting.

Hopefully they tackle it the right way though, I can see it going bad very easily.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Golden Kamuy 14 - End

Well I thought they couldn't add more depraved characters than in the first half than the guy getting a boner at the thought of getting mauled by a person or animal and struggling to survive such a situation, then Taxidermist.

Very good it get's really brutal and there's no black and white good/bad guys our main characters can team up with anyone as the plot demands it.

Hinna Hinna.

Thunderbolt Fantasy S2

Who'd a thunk a show with puppets would bring so much joy, bring on season 3!

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
It's isekai where
When I learned about current hottest LN Isekai with title Kaifuku something something.. this is nothing tho

The slave thing is the worse thing that shield hero have it going

KujoJosuke

Oct 25, 2017
When I learned about current hottest LN Isekai with title Kaifuku something something.. this is nothing tho

The slave thing is the worse thing that shield hero have it going

If Kaifuku thing the one I just found on some NovelReader website, I see one of the tags as "rape victim becomes lover" which uhhh haha fucking burn it with fire please.

Oct 26, 2017
Boogiepop Phantom is a sequel to the story that's finally getting an anime adaptation in the coming season, though. There will be spoilers, as well as dire confusion, because Boogiepop Phantom kind of assumes a certain level of knowledge about the events of Boogiepop And Others.
Ah, didn't realize they were adapting the book. I disagree on the confusion but yes, spoilers. But all the events from the book are there to be gathered in Phantom and knowing them beforehand isn't necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.