• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
Only the last episode of Endless Eight is necessary to understand the story. The light novel short story it is adapted from only had the last iteration of the time loop. The reason to watch more episodes is so the ending feels more rewarding. Otherwise, it's just another episode. Maybe better than average, but not that big of a deal either. The anime makes that story a lot more memorable.

Now to cry that we will never see Snowy Mountain Syndrome adapted. Most of the stuff that happens chronologically after Disappearance isn't as great as what came earlier, but SMS is definitely something I want to see. It was in the same novel as Endless Eight and The Day of Sagittarius.

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
endless eight and the fake movie episode 00 are among the peak of kyoani's cinematography bullshit and I cannot imagine skipping either of them

it's the kind of gimmick that teaches you how to watch and appreciate it as it goes along. it's magical

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still quite curious if the anime will end up adapting the rest of the series as the manga was supposed to be ending fairly soon though that might have been pushed back beyond the window where the anime will air.

How many chapters are left for the manga? I'd be pissed if they saved the ending for a movie that we won't ever come overseas. Maybe 1 extra cour would be doable.

Very important news, the Panty and Stocking OST is on Spotify

season 2 never

Man I used to have "Fly Away" on loop for weeks. Thanks for the heads up.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
How many chapters are left for the manga? I'd be pissed if they saved the ending for a movie that we won't ever come overseas. Maybe 1 extra cour would be doable.
I don't remember :P
I also don't know how fast the Chihiyafaru season 3 is going through the manga.
If they saved the ending for a movie though the odds of it not coming overseas is close to 0 though.
Sentai already dubbed the first two seasons of the show and announced their intentions do do this season as well. I can't imagine they wouldn't release a movie to a property they were willing to invest in like that given how many lower quality series they have done movies for.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember :P
I also don't know how fast the Chihiyafaru season 3 is going through the manga.
If they saved the ending for a movie though the odds of it not coming overseas is close to 0 though.
Sentai already dubbed the first two seasons of the show and announced their intentions do do this season as well. I can't imagine they wouldn't release a movie to a property they were willing to invest in like that given how many lower quality series they have done movies for.

Ah, that's good to hear. I'd love to experience Chihayafuru in the big screen. Either way, I hope we get closure.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
endless eight and the fake movie episode 00 are among the peak of kyoani's cinematography bullshit and I cannot imagine skipping either of them

it's the kind of gimmick that teaches you how to watch and appreciate it as it goes along. it's magical

It literally rekindled my love for anime watching episode 00. Season 2 was almost as magical watching every episode of endless eight with friends spotting the difference and going nuts when
it went over the number of cycles the book version laid out.

The movie is a step even further beyond it trying up the series into one neat bow with amazing animation and sound design. Unbelievably well animated.

The series impressed me each and every time it came back. The rest of the unadapted work isn't quite as good but with the stuff that's coming back these days I'd scream my head off if Netflix laid down all the money in the world and got another series or a few more movies out of it.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Those are often the most entertaining ones to watch. Proton was one the last stupid ass anime like that I watched.

Complete trash, but I laughed my way through ot.

You know it. It makes you appreciate the good things in life when you can just laugh your ass off at some barely animated piece of crap relying on out outraging a fanbase that's already seen it all.

X6ahtMp.gif

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Caught up on Chihayafuru S3 and I wish I waited until it was done. These episodes went by in a minute. Jesus. It just sucks you in.

This season looks like a big step up from S2 in terms of visuals. The animation is crisp and the use of 3D environments in certain shots really elevates those scenes. The tension and atmosphere is cranked to the max and the amazing audio (and lack of it in some scenes) continues to deliver hype and suspense. It's a joy to watch.

Chihaya's expression and VA is one of the best things about the show. She's so expressive. I feel so proud of this team. Taichi's development has been a treat. This dude was a punching bag for 2 seasons and now his luck has finally started to turn. Taichi coming out as a monster and becoming a legit threat to both Chihaya and Arata will push those two to new heights. I found it hilarious how the Shiranami dude who yielded wants to crush Taichi. Everyone knows he's the one to watch out for.

As expected in a series about poetry, the writing is very strong. I really liked the speech by Chihaya's teacher and how his desire to pass on important things ties in with Chihaya as well as the former Queen. Hanano has also become a better character but I do hope she eventually finds motivation unrelated to Taichi. I was also shocked at the finals matchup and I wasnt expecting it so soon. Karuta is unpredictable.

God I love this show.

This is why I tend to wait until a season is over before I start watching. The good ones keep you craving.

Only sad part is not taking part in conversations about the episodes as they air. Not that I add a unique take or anything lol. I also tend to be forgetful and end up watching it a few days later when the conversations has died down. Still can't wait to watch though. Chihayafuru is my favorite sports anime. I never would've thought a karuta anime was something I'd ever want.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
As far as good shows to watch I'm finally getting around to the Fruits Basket remake and wow is it ever killing it. The dub in particular is amazing and I forgot just how much emotion Laura Bailey puts into everything she does. I've nearly broken out into tears whenever something sad happens to her character.

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
As far as good shows to watch I'm finally getting around to the Fruits Basket remake and wow is it ever killing it. The dub in particular is amazing and I forgot just how much emotion Laura Bailey puts into everything she does. I've nearly broken out into tears whenever something sad happens to her character.
two fun things I like to remind people about Laura Bailey especially when they are watching fruits basket.
A.
She's lust in FMA

B.
She's married to the guy that burned her in that scene :P

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Another fun story about those two is that they're in just about every bit of Naruto Shippuden filler for the first decade. Like you'll be watching this incredibly inane bit of the absolute dreck of Shippuden, poorly animated filler arcs that last week after week but you hear these amazing VAs do all these absolutely nothing roles and kill it every time.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
MHA S4E04
Scenes between All Might and Deku always get me emotional. If nothing else I'd watch the show for these two.

shergal

Oct 25, 2017
[Children of the Sea]

Suddenly, plot events start occuring in rapid succesion and we get introduced to an entire library of characters whose names we barely learn before they quickly depart the story. It feels like there's a few dozen scenes missing because there's just not enough material here to tie all the characters and plot points together. Characters we've never been introduced to speak to each other about events we've never heard of and never will. Our heroes traverse the ocean and the story with no apapret rhyme of reason.
It sounds like a classic case of the poorly edited manga adaptation. It's been a while since I read it, but whereas Igarashi never seemed to be too interested in the plot, he did depict a fairly continuous developing story up until the final act (which I'm assuming they left as is in the movie).
Characters aspouse nonsensical philosophy to each other as we're in Human Lost.
This though falls in line with how I remember the manga. Not so much nonsensical philosophy, rather than intimations of higher 'occult' or 'divine' phenomena that trascends us puny humans and therefore is presented without any pretense of being knowable.

DiGiKerot

Oct 26, 2017
It sounds like a classic case of the poorly edited manga adaptation. It's been a while since I read it, but whereas Igarashi never seemed to be too interested in the plot, he did depict a fairly continuous developing story up until the final act (which I'm assuming they left as is in the movie).

Igarashi wrote the script to the movie himself, curiously enough, so it's a least a case where you can't really accuse the movie staff of not really understanding the work. It's more a sense that it constantly feels like it's expecting the audience to be able to intuit more about what's going on than the movie actually establishes the context for you to be able to, even before it dives headfirst into abstract cosmology.

I actually really liked the movie, for what it's worth, but it's aesthetic qualities sure do most of the heavy lifting.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
I was going to start Endless Eight tonight but I'm probably going to fool around with Disney + instead. Maybe Thursday....

The craziest part is that they basically got the entire cast from the previous recording session 15ish years ago, outside of people who are retired from the industry or physically can't do the role anymore (ie, Hiro Souma's male voice actor was 12 years old when he did the part, he doesn't sound anything like that anymore so they recast him), And because a lot of these people have an extra 15 years of experience under their belt, the performances are way better

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Laura Bailey absolutely owns the role of Tohru. She does a fantastic job.

Molecule

Nov 2, 2017
Is there a continuation to the Fate series? Can I just watch the newest entry in the series or do I have to watch it all?

Also, Beastars is freaking cool

Last edited:

TrishaCat

Oct 26, 2017
United States
The year is 2092
Renkin Sankyuu Magical Pokaan, Uzamaid, Magical Girl Site, Wataten, and Happy Sugar Life remain unlicensed. A bluray release in the West continues to be uncertain...

;_;
pls Funimation, Sentai Filmworks, even Discotek...The wait hurts.
Magical Girl Site especially.

Feb 12, 2019
Is there a continuation to the Fate series? Can I just watch the newest entry in the series or do I have to watch it all?
Define "continuation". Because there's a whole lot of Fate out there (assuming you're talking about the Type Moon nightmare juggernaut Fate/Stay Night,) and most of it is set in alternate worlds or spinoffs. I guess it's probably worth asking what you've seen?

My general blanket recommendation regarding that series is: 1. Watch Fate/Zero 2. Quit while you're ahead. That's not to say there isn't merit for other entries, but I don't know if it's necessarily worth it?

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Chihayafuru S3 6
Incredible. There's no other word for it. I have no idea who's gonna win this thing.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Bestars Episode 5:

Yea, I have tried, but I just don't buy into this world on a very fundamental level and that means this gets dropped like a rotten pork cutlet.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Miss Bernard said. 1–13 [END]: Funny how the main conceit of this isn't remotely what's interesting about it. I'd like to see these characters removed from this setting.

Where would I get my reaction pics then. (Also, OVA - never ever)

Hoshiai no Sora 5

I dunno, for every Okadrama bullet this show gracefullly dodges there is another one it willfully jumps onto, forehead first. And I don't think any of the sport, or purely character stuff is particularly engaging so far so my enthusiasm wanes.

Also didn't this ep directly contradict what was said in # 2 where the mother tells us she filed for the restraining order and she hopes the father doesn't know the location? Why would she still leave money for him if that was the case.

Also, Beastars is freaking cool
Fate zero is the top of the series as it work well at the themes of the show and looks great. Anything after it like unlimited blade arc and Heaven's feel arc will be enjoyable as long as you're willing to look pass certain short comings like certain characters not having enough scene time in one arc. Fate apocrypha and fate extra are only enjoyable if you're willing to be loose with their premise. Specially Extra.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Ko----No-SU--B-A Movie!

So, it is exactly what I expected. If you are a fan there are a lot of laughs to be had! I don't know what happened with Darkness throughout the move though, so if you are a fan of her she just disappears for vast parts of the film without explanation, shame. Yeah the whole Megumin x Kazuma dynamic in this movie is great and their adventure feels quite interesting. Yeah I like it quite a bit.

Now to the problematic stuff,Al as the reviewers have mentioned there is one sticking point in the film. As a less than eloquent audience member put it : the antagonist is a ahem "trap". I did not like that and the way it was used as a gag. I think most of my audience was uncomfortable with that kind of depiction to some extent. It is a shame so please be advised if you go see it.

Legend of the Galactic Heroes: The New Thesis 1-10

I have never seen the original due to its length. This remake is a fantastic show. Production IG and the staff have done a spectacular job in bringing this world to life and deliver great character building and drama. The amount of walking and talking in this show would crater other shows, but the writing is excellent. I really do hope they get to adapt the rest of the series. Also kind of onboard with team Reinhard/Sigfried.

Razgriz417

Oct 25, 2017
Ko----No-SU--B-A Movie!

So, it is exactly what I expected. If you are a fan there are a lot of laughs to be had! I don't know what happened with Darkness throughout the move though, so if you are a fan of her she just disappears for vast parts of the film without explanation, shame. Yeah the whole Megumin x Kazuma dynamic in this movie is great and their adventure feels quite interesting. Yeah I like it quite a bit.

Now to the problematic stuff,Al as the reviewers have mentioned there is one sticking point in the film. As a less than eloquent audience member put it : the antagonist is a ahem "trap". I did not like that and the way it was used as a gag. I think most of my audience was uncomfortable with that kind of depiction to some extent. It is a shame so please be advised if you go see it.
Apparently the audience you watched it with vastly differed from mine. I got the rowdy crowd that ate up every joke and freaked the fuck out at the antagonist reveal. Enjoyed the movie but def felt more like a 3 cur of episodes more than a cohesive movie to me. Also the audio was pretty bad in my theater

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
Apparently the audience you watched it with vastly differed from mine. I got the rowdy crowd that ate up every joke and freaked the fuck out at the antagonist reveal. Enjoyed the movie but def felt more like a 3 cur of episodes more than a cohesive movie to me. Also the audio was pretty bad in my theater

Oh people laughed at the boob stuff as expected but the whole poking gag did not land very well except for the few outliers. I do agree that it feels like a string of episodes but I think the arc works and Ko----No-SU--B-A really isn't about rising stakes so I enjoyed the structure.

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

My audience ate that shit up. Was a little disappointed, nice to hear it wasn't universally seen as superb comedy. Otherwise I liked the film a ton, just wish that gag had been played differently, or wasn't there at all.

SolidSnakeBoy

May 21, 2018
My audience ate that shit up. Was a little disappointed, nice to hear it wasn't universally seen as superb comedy. Otherwise I liked the film a ton, just wish that gag had been played differently, or wasn't there at all.

Yeah I saw it coming a mile away but I was hoping it would be something she was going to do with Kazuma that karma'd him or something else less ugh at least.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Chihayafuru S3 E06

BEAUTIFUL
. Taichi x Chihaya fans idk how this will end but this one was for us. What an amazing episode. the build up to the start of this match was incredible. The visuals, the soundtrack, the emotions of the players watching, Chihaya looking up at Taichi and jealous Arata it was all just perfect. the match was hype as hell and was super fun to see Taichi going all out. Im also kind of glad we didn't get another episode this week, don't think my heart could take it. definitely going to rewatch this again during the week to cry some more though. WHO'S GOING TO WIN!

Feb 12, 2019
Konosuba movie was good, but I definitely agree that it felt more like a 3 episode arc with a higher budget than an actual cinematic "film." It was generally very funny, and I'm just happy to see the idiot squad back in action. There are a couple of bits that had everyone in the theater laughing for long periods of time, but the biggest takeaway is that they should make a third season of Konosuba. Also, I guess Weathering with You is having some select screenings in January, which is great.

Unfortunately, the audience in my theater definitely laughed pretty hard at the "poking" joke. I'm, uh, very glad I didn't follow through with my half-serious idea of tricking my non-anime watching friends into seeing it with me. Not only because they would've been confused, but because I don't want to answer the questions that would accompany how much of that movie involves the series' trademark big floppy boobs.

Kewlmyc

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I'm mad at whoever said "O Savage Maidens" was a comedy. Shit got pretty dark, pretty quickly.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Bestars Episode 5:

Yea, I have tried, but I just don't buy into this world on a very fundamental level and that means this gets dropped like a rotten pork cutlet.
Since you're dropping it anyway,
There's a war between the carnivores and the herbivores around 30 years before the story happened, and at the end of it some shenanigans happened that forced the society into the way it is now.

I don't know to what extend do you find the world not believable, but one of the themes the series touches upon is how what's considered moral, normal and good are partly shaped by the need for a society to be able to function together.

Last edited:

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Ascendance of a Bookworm 05-06

I kind of feel for Main's frustration over people unintentionally 'stepping over' her plans. Now this frustration also seems to be the source of her illness. That's intriguing but I'm not sure what it means.

As for her paper making quest I continue to be largely indifferent. Her home remedies seem to be more popular and amusing to see reactions for though.

Beastars 04-05

Legosi is an interesting protagonist. He seems to lack self esteem as a carnivore but he does take responsibility when it counts. As much as I am not entirely satisfied with his sense of resolve to confront Bill(?), I do like this streak to his character. Later I see that it's regarded as a 'development' acknowledging which he goes and meets Haru. It is probably a sort of character development but as I interpret he always had it in him but Louis' words (as he is someone he looks up to) and the theater incident gave him the necessary push.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Since you're dropping it anyway,
There's a war between the carnivores and the herbivores around 30 years before the story happened, and at the end of it some shenanigans happened that forced the society into the way it is now.

I don't know to what extend do you find the world not believable, but one of the themes the series touches upon is how what's considered moral, normal and good are partly shaped by the need for a society to be able to function together.

It has not dealt with the nature of the carnivore well enough for me to believe that this is a society that could actually exist. To put it in simple terms, carnivores must eat meat to survive, they can't digest plant material to get nutrients. In essence, you are telling me a vampire tale but you forgot or obscured the blood substitute and that is some ground floor broken ass world building for a work taking itself this seriously.

Scrooge McDuck

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It has not dealt with the nature of the carnivore well enough for me to believe that this is a society that could actually exist. To put it in simple terms, carnivores must eat meat to survive, they can't digest plant material to get nutrients. In essence, you are telling me a vampire tale but you forgot or obscured the blood substitute and that is some ground floor broken ass world building for a work taking itself this seriously.
But they have that, yar? They eat synthetic meat. The problem is that it's not really enough so suppress their instinct and cravings for fresh meat.

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Ascendance of a Bookworm - 07

Lutz is actually the smartest character in the show aside from Main for realizing that it's really not normal that a 6 year old is able to behave like she does, especially when people knew how the old Main was like.

That shampoo deal was terrible. She's got more inventions where that came from, but if you invent shampoo in a world that doesn't have hair cleaning products... you're supposed to become rich right then and there.

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
I gave Era's most hated show, SAO another chance. A few years ago I stopped watching after the Phantom Bullet arc and I must say the Mother's Rosario arc was really emotional and I was pleasantly surprised. Next step is the movie and then Alicization. 🤓

Status
Not open for further replies.