• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Magireco episode 1+2 report

I loved it.

Inucurry isn't holding back at all and there's lots of stuff in here comparable to Rebellion. Tons of stylish backgrounds with evocative imagery going on while people are talking (example: A scene where Iroha and Kyubey are talking has a bunch of large stuffed bears on a stage stuffing the children watching them into sacks). The music is basically imitation Kajiura, just a bit peppier than the original show's BGM.

Things were changed up quite a bit from the game, although the general flow is the same. The first two episodes cover up to about midway through chapter 2. Later chapters are longer, but at a pace of 2-3 episodes per chapter they could get to the end of chapter 6 in one season probably.

The story is a little fast paced to cover the anime original content (chapter one is expanded on with a few later events being put in the first episode as well), but it's followable for people unfamiliar with the game.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Oregairu light novel ending got leaked so tread carefully if someone here is trying to avoid spoilers. Season 3 won't air until Spring 2020 so with me being an impatient fuck I decided to glance through some of the translated parts. The anime adaptation is going to be interesting to watch.
fd4YEWa.png

I think I survived for only like 20 minutes since they went live. rip me.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Oregairu light novel ending got leaked so tread carefully if someone here is trying to avoid spoilers. Season 3 won't air until Spring 2020 so with me being an impatient fuck I decided to glance through some of the translated parts. The anime adaptation is going to be interesting to watch.
spoil me plz

lapsu

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 31, 2017

Oregairu LN ending spoilers ahead:

"And..."
"There's still more? Isn't that enough? Please?"
Fed up with her increasing demands, Yukinoshita took one step closer, wearing a docile expression.
"No, there's just one last thing I wanted to tell you in advance."
She started off, and moved her glance away from me, and lightly coughed.
Only moments ago was she barking orders, but now, she was pursing her lips, only the sounds of breathing whenever it looked like it was about to open, as she tightly squeezed the stack of papers at her chest.
She gradually lifted her eyes from her feet and looked at me straight-on with her beautiful eyes. Though in whisper, she distinctly stated her words to me.
"Hikigaya-kun, I love you." I froze in place from her sudden surprise confession, and Yukinoshita smiled abashedly. She quickly hid her cherry-dyed cheeks with the stack of papers in her hand, with brief upward glances in my direction, as if trying to see what my reaction was. But unable to withstand the stifling silence, she took a step back.
And without waiting for me to even respond, she quickly took off.
Wait, you serious? Man, she's such a pain in the ass.
If you just leave like that, how am I supposed to give you my reply? Are you saying I have to tell you formally at another time? Now, that's just painful. Seriously, what a pain in the ass.
...But, as much of a pain in the ass that she is, she is just so damn cute.

another translated part from later in the volume:

"By the way, would you like to come over and have dinner tomorrow? My mother seems rather interested in you... and insisted."
"...Can you say no for me?"
"You really think I would do that?"
"...Oh, I've got some plans tomorrow, yeah!"
"If you're talking about Komachi-san, she'll be home late because she'll be looking for clubs to join. Totsuka-kun has tennis school, and Zai... Zaitsu-kun? He can just wait until next time, right?"
Yukinoshita stated nonchalantly. The fact she knew the schedules of everyone around me was downright frightening. Every excuse I had hoped to fling in her direction were shot down. Yukinoshita placed her elbow on the desk and looked into my face as I could only muster an "o-okay..."
"So, who else is there? Hayama-kun?
"Nope, not even. Definitely nothing there."
And why exactly do I need to spend time with him after school? Plans with the others aside, I completely refuse anything involving him. After my response, Yukinoshita wore a triumphant smile.
"That means you have nothing planned, then? That's great to hear."

I'm not sure if anything else has been translated yet as the LN won't come out until next Tuesday.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto

"And..."
Fed up with her increasing demands, Yukinoshita took one step closer, wearing a docile expression.
Only moments ago was she barking orders, but now, she was pursing her lips, only the sounds of breathing whenever it looked like it was about to open, as she tightly squeezed the stack of papers at her chest.
She gradually lifted her eyes from her feet and looked at me straight-on with her beautiful eyes. Though in whisper, she distinctly stated her words to me.
"Hikigaya-kun, I love you." I froze in place from her sudden surprise confession, and Yukinoshita smiled abashedly. She quickly hid her cherry-dyed cheeks with the stack of papers in her hand, with brief upward glances in my direction, as if trying to see what my reaction was. But unable to withstand the stifling silence, she took a step back.
If you just leave like that, how am I supposed to give you my reply? Are you saying I have to tell you formally at another time? Now, that's just painful. Seriously, what a pain in the ass.

"By the way, would you like to come over and have dinner tomorrow? My mother seems rather interested in you... and insisted."
"If you're talking about Komachi-san, she'll be home late because she'll be looking for clubs to join. Totsuka-kun has tennis school, and Zai... Zaitsu-kun? He can just wait until next time, right?"
Yukinoshita stated nonchalantly. The fact she knew the schedules of everyone around me was downright frightening. Every excuse I had hoped to fling in her direction were shot down. Yukinoshita placed her elbow on the desk and looked into my face as I could only muster an "o-okay..."
And why exactly do I need to spend time with him after school? Plans with the others aside, I completely refuse anything involving him. After my response, Yukinoshita wore a triumphant smile.

I'm not sure if anything else has been translated yet as the LN won't come out until next Tuesday.
Author chose wisely.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Bookworm 7
Main forgot to overcharge for her shampoo and also the fact that she's totally not Main. Also seems like Lutz is now in on it regardless of if she ends up telling him the truth about who she really is.

Fire Force 17
Another solid episode, with Sho showing up and Joker's role in all this more up in the air now as a possible side party working with the new team doctor to some end that isn't aligned with either the Evangelist or the Fire Force. I'm actually surprised this show is as good as it is after the rough go from the first few episodes.

Dr Stone 20
That episode with straight Food Wars for a second with all the cotton candy reaction shots...well without all the nudity. I forgot they are using gold to make their wires as opposed to copper, tho at a quick glance it seems like gold would be easier to work with as opposed to refining copper for use in wires at their stage of development.

MHA S4 5
The setup for this arc is what makes it one of the best in MHA. Specific characters get to shine and the wider world opens up along with details to help drive the arc forward.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Fire Force 17 EngDub

Epic episode, anime really makes some of the coolest parts in the manga look cooler, especially Jokers attack and that chipping of the sword he got.

All the fire attacks especially looked amazing.

Also never get tired of Arthur just popping in to to his "hah" whenever theres some random moment to get a dig at Shinra and vice versa.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 40

uE7pf9Ml.png

Being Yeppers is suffering

This episode was so ridiculously hard to watch, in a good way. They absolutely nailed the tone -- a twisted mixture of sad and horrifying, frustrating and creepy. The somewhat heavy-handed music played a role in that, of course, but the actual plot events and acting hit incredibly hard as well. It's bizarre to say an episode about alien abductions hit close to home, but gosh darn it, it did.

I'm really looking forward to next week. They did a great job setting up another layer of intersection to the two conflicts we've had bubbling with Madoka for ages now -- her dad being super anti-alien, and her having to move abroad soon. Now that Dad knows Lala is an alien, and knows Madoka is lying to him to cover for her, the motivations of both those conflicts cross over and strengthen one another.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Haruhi Endless Eight 7-8
I ended up skipping episodes 5 and 6, and in hindsight, probably should have skipped episodes 4 and 7 as well. While I think the idea was good, this really would have worked better as a 4 episode arc and not an 8 episode arc

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Long time no see, haven't posted here in a while. Haven't really watched much anime in a while either but I'm at the Leeds Film Festival about to watch Children of the Sea and I'm going to watch Ride Your Wave and Promare after that. Pretty excited, looking forward to writing down my thoughts later tonight.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Special 7 Episode 7:

I can appreciate the thought in giving the Special Seven members some downtime and thus some actual character focus but the problem is many of the members are just not that interesting. Like didn't think you could make the vampire chick boring but boy howdy did they find a way.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 40

So, they're actually going there. Doesn't seem declaring to your suspect that you're going to out her as an alien is the smart thing to do, but I'm not a government worker, so you do you Mr. Kaguya. Nice look at how rumors and otherness can quickly look to ostracization in school. Just kills the mood for everyone. They really nailed the atmosphere this time, and of course Lala has to suffer it all. As befitting the main protagonist. Everyone blowing their identities when they could've transformed earlier is kind of dumb (especially for Elena who didn't get the chance to get a good read on the situation), but hopefully this leads to something. Kappard continued to deliver as a thematically appropriate antagonist. Lala might have been accepted by some Earthlings, but not all. Madoka is in for a reckoning.

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Watched all of My Hero Academia over the last week. Some quick thoughts.

The first 2 seasons of this show were pretty average. The 3rd season was legitimately good though, the show really takes a while to get going in its build for each season, I don't think I've watched a show that is more ridiculous with its school activities hijinks juxtaposed with the fate of the world going on in the background since like Code Geass.

Mineta might be the worst character I've seen in an anime in a loooooooooong time. It's funny watching this show directly after Demon Slayer. Both he and Zenitsu start with the same generic template of chickenshit always horny characters but the former is just completely insufferable while the latter gets past that with some actual character development.

Honestly the cast is already too bloated as it is, its got the One Piece syndrome where nobody actually dies unless its a flashback. And even then maybe.

Anyway I'll keep watching the show because its entertaining even if not always actually good, and really I just want to know who the mole is. Because its totally Hagakure.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
Thank God, These Cute Boys Finally Got to Play Tennis This Week Without A Parent Physically Abusing Them 06
EJXEpX5XUAEnVK-

Holy shit, an episode where I didn't feel like shit afterwards! Where the humiliation comes not from adults who should know better, but from actually participating in a middle school sports team! I enjoyed the fact that our characters were clever enough to take a single game from most sets, but as they haven't been taking this seriously before Maki showed up, they get their asses beat pretty handily by a clearly superior team- they are able to fluster, but never long enough to actually win something. We only got to see the start of the match involving Oji, who spent most of the match sitting in a chair like a doofus and scowling, and I'm hoping that next week is just fully dedicated to his match so we get another full week of these children being protected.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
[Discussing Children of the Sea]
it's sad to hear the general reception this has gotten relative to other theatrical anime films this year - I got to see this at AIF in los angeles a few weeks ago and absolutely loved it. director watanabe said it's a film meant to be felt viscerally instead of enjoyed as a conventional story and as the adventure of three kids opens up into a musing on our place in the universe that's exactly what happens imo. the 2001 comparisons were inevitable but the juxtaposition of microcosmic ideas of friendship and broader wisps of ideas about life and death felt like something terrence malick would attempt. which isn't to say it made full sense to me either, from any conventional storytelling standpoint plenty of stuff was glossed over or flat-out ignored, but to me children of the sea represented fearless filmmaking in a medium that so rarely attempts anything so indulgent and viewer-unfriendly like this. I have huge respect for watanabe & co for putting this together over 4+ years (!) and hope it opens the floodgates to more and better films like this being made.
Like you, I respect the artistic vision of this movie. I'm not even averse to experimental cinema / art hous films - I 'enjoyed' Angels Egg and Belladona of Sadness, to name a couple of high profile examples of anime art films. The problem with Children of the Sea is that its not consistent - the first half is convential, the second half is abstract/experimental. If it commited to either side it would have been a much stronger film.

The other major problem with the film is that it feels like an rushed adaptation of a manga. Which is to say, you can really feel where they've trimmed down the original story to fit into the running time of a movie. The edits to the original manga aren't subtle - you can see big seams that scream 'content removed'. This leads to characters and situations which are shown to us with very little context, but which I can only assume are important to the story. For example, we witness a scene where an official Japanese Navy guy (who we've never seen before) meets with some other characters (who we have seen but no almost nothing about) to discuss the on-going mysterious events happening in the ocean. The problem is, the audiecne doesn't understand what these mysterious events are because we haven't been told what they are. The characters in the scene know, but because they don't they might as well be speaking Klingon. What's worse, whatever they're discussing doesn't really come up later in the film, as far as I can tell. It's a completely pointless scene that I assume makes sense in the manga because that version of the story has more time to flesh out the characters and explain the situation. Now, this scene is just one example, but there are dozens of others like it in the movie. Characters we've never met meet other character we've never met to discuss things we can't understand. Again, and again, and again. That's not 'art cinema' that's bad stortelling.

The thing is - I get the basic idea of the story. It's a classic coming of age tale. A girl grows up in a troubled household with mom and dad seperated, she acts out at school and doesn't fit in anywhere. But she meets a mysterious boy and goes on an adventure. Along the way she learns some things about him, and herself (and maybe the universe) that allows her to grow. Maybe she can even help to patch up the relathionship between her parents, who can say? That's it. But its presented not only through the jumbled narrative (as a result of editing the manga, I assume) but also through very abstract imagery. Now, I enjoy a good piece of abstract imagery but the sequence the wordless, tripy-as-hell climax to this movie in extremely long and by a certain point it just felt a bit repeitive. It was very pretty though.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon 2019 1 (what a name)

Cute first episode. Nice introduction to Go and Pikachu's untold backstory was cute.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
[Stars Align] - 5

For a series that started out really strong this episode had some fairly rough storyboarding. Basical visual concepts of film language such as: the distance to place the camera relatives to the characters, where to position characters relative to each other, how to edit a scene for emotional impact - all of this felt completely off. Unfortuantely there a other problems beyond the visuals - the show is strugglign to deal with it's wide cast of characters and the parental abuse that nearly every single character is dealign with,

In terms of the cast, the show clearly only really cares about the two main boys. Unfortuantely it also diverts screentime to a variety of other characters, some of whom aren't even on the team and I have to wonder - why? Spending 3 minutes of the episode understanding the Presidents seems pointless as she's not a character we are following as a viewer. Then, in the same breath, we spend literally 5 seconds at the home of one of the main characters who plays on the tennis team! I'm all for developing the cast outside of the context of them playing tennis, but if you want to do that then you should actually spend some real time with then, rather than a pointless scene that communicates nothing in its brevity.

As for the parental abuse, I don't really know what the show is trying to say here. The number of characters suffering some kind of abuse is starting to fee a bit silly. It just feels like every episode we're going to visit a different tennis player and learn about their history of abuse. It really trivalises the material that they're working with there, not only in the super melodramatic manner in which its portrayed, but in the way it's treated by the storytellers. It feels like a story beat, like a trope that just has to be hit, rather than thought about and investigated.

[Stars Align] - 6

I'm done with this show. Not because of yet-another abuse backstory, but because we finally arrived at the 'main event' in terms of a proper tennis match - and it's really boring. How did this happen? I assumed this would be the one thing they'd be able to get right, even while the story wabbled.

The tennis here wasn't boring from a storytelling perspective (although to some extent it was because the outcome was obvious in advance) but because the visuals were so lacklusturre. When you watch a sports anime you want the sport itself to be exicting and look cool. You should feel drawn into the action by cool camera work, or beautiful animation, or excellent music (hopefully all of the above). But none of that happens here. We get static, boring shots completely lacking in style, dynamism and interest. It's very flat and repeitive. Not once was I drawn into the action, or impressed by the animation on an important shot, or impressed by the cool direction - or any of the normal aspects of a sports anime.

So if the sport is bad, and the drama is bad, that only leaves the characters. As likeable as I may find some of the cast, that's not enough reason for me to stick with this series.

Long time no see, haven't posted here in a while. Haven't really watched much anime in a while either but I'm at the Leeds Film Festival about to watch Children of the Sea and I'm going to watch Ride Your Wave and Promare after that. Pretty excited, looking forward to writing down my thoughts later tonight.
Speak of the devil...

Last edited:

JCG

Oct 25, 2017
I could see a sequel to Megalobox working...as long as they address some of the issues with the first season and don't make the (tempting) mistake of trying to copy or one-up the original Ashita no Joe's ending.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

"And..."

I refuse to read; Spring can't come soon enough!!!

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
symphogear episode 1
haha what the fuck

i dunno what the world governments are doing against some eldritch abombination shit just showing up and mercing people but it's clearly not working very well. they're lucky the eldrithch abombinations are dumb as fuck

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Star Twinkle Precure 40

uE7pf9Ml.png

Being Yeppers is suffering

This episode was so ridiculously hard to watch, in a good way. They absolutely nailed the tone -- a twisted mixture of sad and horrifying, frustrating and creepy. The somewhat heavy-handed music played a role in that, of course, but the actual plot events and acting hit incredibly hard as well. It's bizarre to say an episode about alien abductions hit close to home, but gosh darn it, it did.

I'm really looking forward to next week. They did a great job setting up another layer of intersection to the two conflicts we've had bubbling with Madoka for ages now -- her dad being super anti-alien, and her having to move abroad soon. Now that Dad knows Lala is an alien, and knows Madoka is lying to him to cover for her, the motivations of both those conflicts cross over and strengthen one another.

Star Twinkle Precure 40

So, they're actually going there. Doesn't seem declaring to your suspect that you're going to out her as an alien is the smart thing to do, but I'm not a government worker, so you do you Mr. Kaguya. Nice look at how rumors and otherness can quickly look to ostracization in school. Just kills the mood for everyone. They really nailed the atmosphere this time, and of course Lala has to suffer it all. As befitting the main protagonist. Everyone blowing their identities when they could've transformed earlier is kind of dumb (especially for Elena who didn't get the chance to get a good read on the situation), but hopefully this leads to something. Kappard continued to deliver as a thematically appropriate antagonist. Lala might have been accepted by some Earthlings, but not all. Madoka is in for a reckoning.

From Madoka's father and The Classmate POV. They're not wrong to doubt about Lala.
She could lead a problem to the Earth even Hikaru can't argue them back.

Well, Dose Anyone doubt/bet that Ryoutarou might be a Darknest? (Yeah he was Aiwan Victim.)
He doesn't surprise about Lala, Fuwa and Prunce an alien and keep their secret from Madoka's Father on EP.11.

Also where the last time we saw him? Halloween?

NoirSuede

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Status
Not open for further replies.