• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Just curious but, how did you guys get into anime?
The year was 199—. No, it started with watching Sailor Moon on TV, although, what eventually hooked me was Cardcaptors for featuring characters my own age. One fateful day, I rented a tape of Evangelion because I recognized it as anime, and it was a whole new experience to say the least. During summer vacation that year at my cousin's house, we watched End of Evangelion and hentai together, and that was that. I'd soon be doodling things from FLCL on my fifth-grade binder.

I had already listened to "Bohemian Rhapsody" thanks to my dad, but this was what really committed it to memory, In all its low-quality glory. I'm still unsure whether my cousin's friend really made this AMV or not. In any case, it was magical.

Last edited:

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
i have the standard pokemon/dbz weekday morning route but I do have a very vivid memory of watching Jupiter Jazz part 1 of Cowboy Bebop on Toonami at night when I was way too young to see a character very dramatically bare their breasts and then someone else immediately get shot

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
I watched DBZ like everyone else. But the first time I truly got into anime, was a while ago, at least 15 years ago when I was at my cousins house. They had the entire Gate Keepers series on DVD

so I watched that instead of socializing with the other kids and became hooked. My first anime season where I started watching each season was Fall 2007, the same season as School Days[/MEDIA]

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
What about Sailor Moon? I heard that was also really big in the US during that era
Sailor moon's time was before Naruto started to air.
it was on at like 2:30pm for me so I only got to catch it if I got out of school early.

I would watch that and reboot before waiting an hour for DBZ, Kenshin, Yu yu hakusho, Trigun and various other shows.
also watched some gate keepers on g4 tech tv, and a bit of stuff on the sci fi channel and of course stuff like card captors and pokemon (yes... I watched pokemon from basically the start... I'm old :( )

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Sailor Moon, Cardcaptor Sakura and Doremi were in that catagory where I I wtched only a little bit because I was a man and worried about being seen as gay for watching.

CrimsonN0

Oct 25, 2017
Not quite sure what the first anime I saw was.
It was wither Dragonball(Pilaf Saga)/Sailor Moon(up to Rubedo) when they were on channel 3? before Cartoon Network.
That or Samurai Pizza Cats before school everyday.
The first time I knew a cartoon came from Japan was probably Project A-KO on Sci-Fi Channel's Japanimation Saturdays.
Actually ended up seeing a lot of anime on the Sci-Fi Channel : Demon City, Casshern, Gall Force, Venus Wars, Iria the Animation, Akira.
First anime I got into outside of that was Ranma 1/2.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017

A.J.

Oct 25, 2017
symphogear episode 1
haha what the fuck

i dunno what the world governments are doing against some eldritch abombination shit just showing up and mercing people but it's clearly not working very well. they're lucky the eldrithch abombinations are dumb as fuck
I think it was revealed in a one of many website lore dumps that other governments that didn't have Symphogear had to either throw bodies at them to force them to decompose or to just stall them until they decompose on their own.

Bigkrev

Oct 25, 2017
A 2003 summer vacation at the shore where my brother and I discovered that Cartoon Network played some really cool stuff after midnight. I think for the both of us, it was FLCL episode 3 among other things like Trigun, Blue Gender and Bebop that lead to us investgating further when we got home

Valdfellgar

Oct 25, 2017
Massachusetts

I first saw Macross (Or Robotech) when I was very little, didn't know it was anime though. A Boston museum, can't remember which, had an exhibit on anime, where they showed off Dragon Ball, Astro Boy (The 80s remake I think?) and some other anime. Finally, a few years later, I caught Dragon Ball Z on TV, just before Funimation took over the dubbing. I branched out from there thanks to my mother finding Rightstuf.com (Got Nadesico and Kenshin from there) and the video store having a small offering of various anime titles like Gundam, Patlabor, and some of the super gory 80s anime movies.

Oct 25, 2017

I grew up with Dragon Ball and Pokemon like everyone else did. Then Rurouni Kenshin, CardCaptor Sakura, Ojamajo Doremi, Saint Seiya, and other anime aired and they sealed the deal for me.

Mexico is full of weebs for a reason, we had amazing dubs and so much good anime to watch.

Last edited:

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017

A bit unconventionally, through playing JRPGs (and other Japanese games). A genre I only really got into after playing Persona thanks to the Giant Bomb endurance run.

So after playing a bunch of JRPGs, I figured I might as well check out some anime, since it should pretty much be the same thing minus the gameplay. This was also during the time when I started more actively browsing online gaming communities like reddit and the old forum site, and ran into a ton of anime and anime-adjencent discussion. So I figured I might as well check it out if everyone keeps talking about it.

This also happened somewhere around the time I was playing Tales of Xilia, and thinking that its UFOtable produced anime cutscenes looked pretty cool. Which helped.

After that, it was mostly just checking out things that were popular on Crunchyroll, plus whatever recommendations I could find on the old site. The AoTY polls that are still a thing were really helpful for that. One of the reasons I bother voting in them is because of how much they helped me back then.

Started off with Attack on Titan (this was during season 1 hype) and Build Fighters (because the old site was really hyping it up back then, plus it looked pretty).

But I wasn't really 100% sold on it until I watched Gintama and Gankutsuou, which both showed me the medium can actually offer things other kinds of television can't, although in completely different ways. Gintama for making me laugh more than anything else I've watched, and Gankutsuou for showing me anime can actually have some slightly more thoughtful stories, emotional impact, combined with super creative visuals.

(Also I guess I watched Pokemon back in the day, like every other kid. But for me, that was just another cartoon, and I had no idea anime was a thing)

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Great Teacher Onizuka ep. 26-END
I finished this show up last week after blitzing through the whole thing withing a couple weeks time. It's amazingly satisfying when you pick up and watch a show randomly and it's a great watch from start to finish. Although, I will admit I was not a fan of the ending and the way they rushed to it without full closure of everything/everyone with the class and the consequences of the final arc. Was there a lot more manga after this episode, or is this how they closed up the story there as well?

Easily stated, this show was amazing entertainment. Every mini-arc with each student was great fun and entertaining to watch. It's been awhile since I've been hooked into a show like I was this one and I was bummed when the wild ride was all over. If you're ever looking for a show to just entertain you with a mix of everything and you can appreciate sophomoric humor then I would definitely recommend giving this show a whirl for a great ride!

Kamisama Kiss S1-END
I also blitzed through the first season of this one a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it as well. It's classic Shojo to the max (super grizzly/dark past, etc MC love interest), but I had fun with the craziness of the first season and look forward to more of these two in the next two seasons.

Fate, Stay/Night; UBW S1-END
I had watched the first few episodes a few years ago and since the "tsundere" female archetype is my least favorite, it only took my 4 episodes before I was done with Rin.

Upon my second watch, I was able to deal with her nonsense and truck through the first season. The characters are nowhere near as good ad Fate/Zero unfortunately, and Shirou's personality just drags the show down further at this point. I will watch the second season, but I really hopes he get's much better as an MC! Also, the "kidnapping" plot device as the end of S1 wasn't good; it was an even worse turn-of events for the story....

Last edited:

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Granbelm ep. 1-2
I tried, but I can't even give it 3 episodes. mecha and magical girls mix as well as the manga ship in Usagi Drop.

Black Clover ep. 107-109
This arc continues to be amazing. So much energy and work put into these fights and the struggle in general.

We Never Learn S2 ep. 4-6
Wait, are we adding more to the harem at this point? The show is just stupid fun each weelk

Soma S4 ep.2-6
Despite how much I hate the whole premise of this arc, the show still has a lot of charm and is a ton of fun to watch each week.

Erina is trash

Last edited:

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu on Parade 7: Forgive Me My Blue God, for I have Lain Eyes on Your Strawberry

A more relaxed affair after the drama of the last episode. Not much went on this time other than reminding us that Soleil exists and of course is still the best. Especially Aoi. It's all her fault. I think she almost got a nosebleed investigating the new idols. Ran has to put in so much work to keep her in line. Their dynamics don't get old. More confirmation that Aine is just a poor rip-off of Ichigo. Actual new song. Wasn't sure we'd get one of those, but if anyone deserves one it's Ichigo. Hopefully after next episode we go full crazy with the crossovers.

RuffMadman

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
USA
Great Teacher Onizuka ep. 26-END
I finished this show up last week after blitzing through the whole thing withing a couple weeks time. It's amazingly satisfying when you pick up and watch a show randomly and it's a great watch from start to finish. Although, I will admit I was not a fan of the ending and the way they rushed to it without full closure of everything/everyone with the class and the consequences of the final arc. Was there a lot more manga after this episode, or is this how they closed up the story there as well?

Easily stated, this show was amazing entertainment. Every mini-arc with each student was great fun and entertaining to watch. It's been awhile since I've been hooked into a show like I was this one and I was bummed when the wild ride was all over. If your ever looking for a show to just entertain you with a mix of everything and you can appreciate sophomoric humor then I would definitely recommend giving this show a whirl for a great ride!

Kamisama Kiss S1-END
I also blitzed through the first season of this one a couple weeks ago and enjoyed it as well. It's classic Shojo to the max (super grizzly/dark past, etc MC love interest), but I had fun with the craziness of the first season and look forward to more of these two in the next two seasons.

Fate, Stay/Night; UBW S1-END
I had watched the first few episodes a few years ago and since the "tsundere" female archetype is my least favorite, it only took my 4 episodes before I was done with Rin.

Upon my second watch, I was able to deal with her nonsense and truck through the first season. The characters are nowhere near as good ad Fate/Zero unfortunately, and Shirou's personality just drags the show down further at this point. I will watch the second season, but I really hopes he get's much better as an MC! Also, the "kidnapping" plot device as the end of S1 wasn't good; it was an even worse turn-of events for the story....
GTO anime only covers about half of the manga btw

darkside

Oct 26, 2017
Finished Mob Psycho 100 S1.

The middle part of the series was the most interesting.. where there was no Mob at all basically. Didn't really care much for the first part or the last few episodes. Good enough for me to watch S2 so I'll do that.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
Catalan public TV started airing Dr. Slump in 1987. Akira Toriyama was already popular in Catalonia even before they started broadcasting Dragon Ball a few years later and I mean original Dragon Ball, not Dragon Ball Z which I don't like as much as the original.

After that, lots of stuff continued to air on public TV in the following years like Dragon Ball, Future Boy Conan, Dragon Ball Z, Kinnikuman, Dai no Daiboken, Urusei Yatsura, Ranma 1/2, Yawara, Doraemon, Crayon Shinchan, One Piece, Cowboy Bebop, Trigun, Yu Yu Hakusho, Inuyasha, Kare Kano, Evangelion, Keroro Gunsou (but weirdly never Gundam) and a bunch of other stuff I'm forgetting or never watched because it was not my cup of tea.

It's all in the past now because, nowadays, the streaming platforms have the buying power to license series but during late 80s, all of the 90s and most of the 00s Catalan public TV was an anime powerhouse.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Anime is popular in Latin America, so it's just a thing I watched. I don't know how I got into it because of that. The clearest memories are of Dragon Ball Z, Doraemon, Pokemon, Evangelion, and weirdly enough, this really dumb comedy, Yamazaki, King of the Class.

Last edited:

Dimple

Jan 10, 2018
Vinland Saga 7-12

Man this danish prince better turn out to actually be one badass motherfucker or I will be annoyed as hell.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Babylon Episode 7:

Okay, even Babylon got bored with the assinine suicide debate and decdied to have its mutant supervillain recite her favorite Joker and Jigsaw lines while playing Dexter.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017

Really just the typical "Japanimation" stuff that occasionally drifted into mainstream America during the mid 90's: Catching the occasional Sailor Moon episode on TV, Ronin Warriors, the first English run of Dragon Ball with the Ocean dub, Teknoman (Tekkaman Blade), and that little "Japanimation" section at Blockbustser with VHS copies of Akira, Fatal Fury: The Motion Picture, and oddly enough Patlabor.

Jintor

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Oct 25, 2017
I think it was revealed in a one of many website lore dumps that other governments that didn't have Symphogear had to either throw bodies at them to force them to decompose or to just stall them until they decompose on their own.

god, what a dark world

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Miyazaki movies at first (Princess Mononoke and Spirited Away, though I didn't know that was anime at the time).

And then I jumped feet first into Serial Experiments Lain. I can't remember why, beyond that I had heard how it was an influence on the Matrix and I liked the themes.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Haiyoru! Nyaruani 1–9 [END]————————Cthugha–————————Haiyoru! Nyaruani: Remember My Love (Craft-sensei) 1–11 + 12 [END]

V07xeCS.jpg
————is———
Vu0i8Rh.jpg

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 1–12 + OVA [END]———————the———–––--Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W 1–12 + OVA [END]

gH0HH8p.jpg
———best—––
mr8lbtf.gif

———————————girl——————————————Haiyore! Nyaruko-san F

—————————<3————————
DO5ga9Z.gif

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Haiyoru! Nyaruani 1–9 [END]————————Cthugha–————————Haiyoru! Nyaruani: Remember My Love (Craft-sensei) 1–11 + 12 [END]

V07xeCS.jpg
————is———
Vu0i8Rh.jpg

Haiyore! Nyaruko-san 1–12 + OVA [END]———————the———–––--Haiyore! Nyaruko-san W 1–12 + OVA [END]

gH0HH8p.jpg
———best—––
mr8lbtf.gif

—————————<3————————
DO5ga9Z.gif

V07xeCS.jpg
————is———
Vu0i8Rh.jpg

gH0HH8p.jpg
———best—––
mr8lbtf.gif

—————————<3————————
DO5ga9Z.gif

Good taste

Yukari

Mar 28, 2018
Thailand
Star Twinkle Precure - 40

People seem angry about Madoka's father's actions. Not a surprise because he acts like people who incriminate innocent people because they don't tell the truth.

But The Classmate wouldn't' believe him. If They didn't aware/notice that something weird happen around the town lately.

Status
Not open for further replies.