• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Angel Beats! 13 [END]

Three days later... Yuri wakes up in the infirmary, greeted by the other remaining four. (Everyone else already dipped.) Kanade points out that Yuri is fulfilled, and It's true. They act like friends now, after all that time spent fighting. Anyway, they've planned a graduation. While Kanade hums and skips away to "My Song," they make their way to the gym and talk about their time here. Graduation finishes without a hitch. Naoi goes first, in tears. Yuri's next, and her last words are about what could have been between her and Kanade. Finally, it's Hinata's turn. Good luck finding Yui! With everyone else out of the way, Yuzuru takes Kanade outside.

Yuzuru was like that programmer; he had no reason to be here. Still, he found meaning to life again, and love. Worried everything would repeat itself (duh), he wants Kanade to stay with him. His confession doesn't surprise her. The sudden, uninvited hug does though. No response... That's right, she came here to laugh at thank you, Yuzuru—not to be the Eve to your Adam. That person his organ(s) saved? It's her. She knew after skewering him he had no heart, and he remembered his life from listening to her/his heartbeat while asleep that one time. (Thanks for nothing, Naoi.) All done! Thank you for your heart. Thank you, for life.

Yuzuru was friend-zoned so hard he disappeared finds Kanade after reincarnation because why not? They're different people now so what's it matter. Fin.

Arrhythmetic.

Jun Maeda is a freaking savant. Wait, no. What is this ending, lol. "Live and let live. Peace!" Not knowing what graduating middle school, let alone high school, feels like, it doesn't do much for me. This doesn't harm my theory of Yuri x Kanade though. Yuzuru was even rejected at the end, ha! That said, recapping is not climatic.

Angel Beats!, aka losers with hearts of gold (minus one), is about accepting fate and being grateful for life. Period. Fine, but way too much time is spent chucking curve-balls to get there. Each Key work I'm familiar with goes through the same motions. This is the MO. The writing here directly invites the viewer to suspend disbelief just 'cause; has the characters call each other stupid all the time (setting expectations); and steadily diminishes the conflict and scale of the stakes. It's perpetually in dumb-down mode and then slaps you for thinking otherwise. If this isn't manipulation, then what is. That said, it's not malicious, just underachieving.

There's little tension. Literally everyone else does the groundwork for Yuzuru too. He just steals the good bits at the end. Nothing is a matter of if/how, only when. For example, Tenshi's internal conflict that she "miraculously" won. Why wouldn't she be able to try again and again? If it were a real risk, then the gang would have prepared countermeasures, like keeping her in a weakened state or restrained. By the way, a longer series could have meant seeing the inside of Tenshi's mind war. Imagine how exciting that would have been, considering her personality... I'll believe it was a mapo tofu eating contest.

Small stuff: I watched the title sequence every time. Tenshi's animated bits in it are excellent, especially the way the camera moves around her. Without fail, it always filled me with wonder of what Angel Beats! could have been. Kanade's mapo tofu anthem was probably the funniest part of the show. In case others didn't make the connection, Yuruzu's name means "soundless string" and Kanade's means to "play an instrument." Another amusing thing is the software, Angel Player, is pronounced as Angel Prayer in Japanese. Who changed Kanade into pajamas back in episode 9? As the only other girl left, it was probably Kanade who changed Yuri into pajamas this time. The shadow program allowed anyone to turn back to a person if they felt like it. Poor Takamatsu ended up just being a footnote in conversation, like most of the other members. "So long, best friend." Hmm, I guess it must be weird for Japanese boys to call each other by first name after all.
—————
Angel Beats! 13.5: An extended/alternative ending where Yuzuru stays behind to wait for Kanade. Did he learn nothing? Okay, cool, more support for Yuri x Kanade.

Angel Beats! OVA 1 & 2: Tenshi plays Rune Factory below the abandoned building and everyone fasts for a week. Also, cannibalism. Bad end.
—————
Is Angel Beats! awful? No, I wouldn't even call it bad, just personally disappointing. The music is good, at least. Is it meandering and at odds with itself? Absolutely.

Last edited:

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Aikatsu on Parade is a little lazily done, but pretty good so far. If you like Rola you'll be disappointed.

Richter1887

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You're in for treat!

giphy.gif
just watch the three movies, dont believe the hatters rebellion is great.
Homura did nothing wrong
Wish I could experience Rebellion again
Just finished watching it like 5 minutes ago. I had to delay due to things coming up but I finally watched it today and:
full
giphy.gif

This is me right now.

Holy shit was this a trip. A really bittersweet kind of trip. I am not even sure if I believe this is even the end because it feels as if there is still space for more wild rides. Whatever gets released next I will get in line for more wild rides.

I recommend this series to everyone. Even for those who don't really like "magical girls" (I know I personally don't but Madoka Magica is one of the few exeptions).

Omg, that third pic. 😂

Nice choices!

That third picture took me a while but when I did...

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Cautiously Isekai 1
I found this to be pretty funny, but am worried about its staying power as an ongoing gag. Going from the POV of the Goddess added a bit of fun to the first episode and hopefully they can better play up the hero and his odd personality without making him a boring or uncaring character.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017

Next season of Isekai Quartet will have characters from ERA's favorite anime, The Rising of the Shield Hero. XD

Unsurprising, but still disappointing.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oresuki 1-

Wow this guy's a piece of shit.

I'm in.

Isekai #8877789 now with 7 bland geniuses, kissing to get the SI to eat meat, and mayo 1-

I think the only reason I lasted till the end was to see how much more ridiculous this would get. Don't think I've ever seen a character force meat down a person's throat through a kiss so I guess that's something.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Oresuki 1-

Wow this guy's a piece of shit.

I'm in.

Isekai #8877789 now with 7 bland geniuses, kissing to get the SI to eat meat, and mayo 1-

I think the only reason I lasted till the end was to see how much more ridiculous this would get. Don't think I've ever seen a character force meat down a person's throat through a kiss so I guess that's something.
I screamed when it happened so it has that going for it I guess.

Oct 25, 2017
Mairimashita! Iruma-kun 1

I think for the first time that I actually like this shounen anime more than Fairy Tail or any alike. How should I put it....it's more of a "mixed harem" but with demons, which I enjoy more than generic harem.

Oct 25, 2017
Is Angel Beats! awful? No, I wouldn't even call it bad, just personally disappointing. The music is good, at least. Is it meandering and at odds with itself? Absolutely.
Really?

Angel Beats is in the top 3 best anime of all time. It does drama, comedy, suspense, and emotion so well that I watch it annually. It not only speaks well to the human condition but its characters embody characters that make it resonate within me. I enjoyed it.

Pitou

Oct 25, 2017
Fate Babylonia 01 - I have no idea whats happening. whole lot of ass and crotch shots. Gilgamesh is still cool though. see you in 20 weeks....maybe.

sir_crocodile

Oct 25, 2017
I'm beyond shocked that cooking master boy is getting a new series.

Wonder if it'll be as crazy as the original

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
We Never Learn S2 E1

It's back and this episode is the funniest yet (haven't seen the OVA though). I was laughing the whole time. I really appreciate how they managed to keep the same joke going through the whole episode without killing it.

Oldmario

Oct 25, 2017
We Never Learn S2 E1

It's back and this episode is the funniest yet (haven't seen the OVA though). I was laughing the whole time. I really appreciate how they managed to keep the same joke going through the whole episode without killing it.

had me wondering if i had seen the OVA yet too but it turns out we'll need to be time travellers to do that
An OVA episode will be bundled with the manga's 14th volume to be released on November 1, 2019.[19]

Qurupeke

Oct 25, 2017
Fate/Grand Order: Absolute Demonic Front - Babylonia 1

I'm a big fan of the game and I couldn't be more happy with how this turned out on the animation front. A relatively introductory episode was packed with a few stellar action scenes, while even mundane mannerisms and gestures had a lot of care put to them. Some really good character animation elevated the dialogues between Mashu and Fujimaru or Da Vinci's monologues. I was expecting the action animation to blow me away, but the good character animation was a kinda cool surprise. Also, I love how the anime implements the music from the game, really neat.

Unfortunately, something that was bothering me before the anime even aired was the art of it, especially the character designs. FGO characters have a lot of different illustrators, and sometimes the art style can vary greatly, but the Babylonia anime uses a homogenized artstyle, that is kinda similar to Takeuchi's. That led to some characters looking off. To boot, it doesn't even look that good on Takeuchi's characters, they seem to be lacking on details and are kind of plain looking. I'm sure I'll get used to it eventually, but I'm also sure that some characters that will be introduced later will also bother me.

Last but not least, while personally it's not a turn off, I'm sure a lot of people will not really appreciate how fanservicey this is. First episode was full of ass shots. It's easy to ignore such scenes while reading the text in the game, and forget they even happened, but they felt much more pronounced here. And I guess it can't really be helped when Rin's design is basically slave Leia. In any case, I'm looking forward to see reactions of people that aren't very familiar with FGO, as I think the story is actually pretty good and has a couple of really cool scenes as it goes.

jonjonaug

Oct 25, 2017
Babylonia
This was very fanservice-y, in more ways than one. The character and action animation are both great, but I marked out the hardest when they used the "Hello there, I'm your cushion" line for the protagonist. Hopefully they'll continue to use the good dialogue choices.

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
While it's not anime, I love to see more Western/Eastern animation collaborations.

Takafumi Hori (Trigger) apparently did the animation for the Steven Universe Future opening and it looks wonderful.

(NOTE: This opening does contain spoilers for the entire Steven Universe series and Steven Universe: The Movie).

Hori's done a bunch of great work on Steven Universe, including some cuts in the movie itself (like the first Spinel fight) and a bunch of the animation in the episode A Mindful Education. In fact, since he left Trigger last year and went freelance, I think this might be one of the bigger things currently on his plate.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Really?

Angel Beats is in the top 3 best anime of all time. It does drama, comedy, suspense, and emotion so well that I watch it annually. It not only speaks well to the human condition but its characters embody characters that make it resonate within me. I enjoyed it.

Yes, really. Critical thinking is harmful to enjoying glossy things like AB, but it leads to my conclusion.

How the drama and the comedy makes you feel I can't contest, but suspense? It takes maybe 10 seconds of guesswork to see from episode 1 that departure is good. This is what marks Iwasawa's departure, Naoi's uprising, Tenshi's inner battle, and all the other various "conflicts" as good things from the get-go—no tension. Any real suspense is washed away by there being no creator and not taking control of the realm, something impossible for the people that end up there (no-bad-apples policy). Maybe you meant anticipation, which I would disagree on. The formula is presented in episode 3 and can be applied to all events and the overarching narrative.

I agree it's a very human work, which I interpret as it wanting you to be disappointed and find a positive spin on said disappointment. I'm not sure what "characters embody characters" means though. If you meant the characters have qualities and/or experiences that can be related to, then sure. That's the point to the large cast of characters (checklist). Yuzuru did that for me, but I don't personally agree with the direction of and conclusion to his story. He hardly learned anything. Thanks to selective amnesia, he already had his revelation. By the way, do you really watch all of AB again annually, or just the second half of episode 6 (Naoi's)?

hyouko

Oct 27, 2017
Black Fox

Good fight animation, but the plot was borderline parody level in its simplicity. Ninja girl out for revenge, aided by a trio of talking robot animals, up against a villain who literally named the city after himself... and that's pretty much it. Well, except there's an ESPer, for some reason. The movie is clearly intended as a pitch or lead-in for a sequel or a TV series, with a lot of stuff left unresolved in the film proper.

...if I'm honest I might watch just for the fight scenes, if it does wind up happening.

Also, one of the characters is a dead ringer for Phi (specifically, her Zero Time Dilemma incarnation):

l0SGPep.png
YS12u0i.png

Oct 25, 2017
Dr. Stone Episode 12 EngDub

Chrome x Senku even more canon than ever. Back to back and having each other's lives in their hands, how lovely. Loved Chrome getting his coolest lines ever here.

The anime is making such a bland manga shine in more ways than one. Good job.

TheShampion

Oct 27, 2017
Most of the stuff I am looking forward to is in the Netflix incubator/jail, but I am curious to give some of the shows this season a shot.

I mostly will be digging into my backlog though. Still want to get back to Gintama, and maybe try a Funimation free trial to binge of the shows I missed last season.

Oct 25, 2017
Also no way was some of Ginro stature that strong to support Chrome like that unless Chrome is super light or something. Ginro looks so weak and wimpy (though he's my 2nd favorite character).

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 35

Student council election time. Sakurako could've rendered this whole episode pointless had she left her ego unchecked for just one minute. So the message this time is to have your own vision as a leader. Hikaru did have a vision. A dumb one, but it was a vision. Still, she did realize building on what worked is the better path to success. Meanwhile Sakurako, the obvious and more credible candidate, had no vision. Not publicly at least. Awful candidate even if by all rights she should win this easily. Kappard actually got Hikaru in a proper argument, so that was a nice highlight in an otherwise bad fight. Honestly I wish Hikaru would've won. Would actually be an interesting evolution for her character (along with giving Mana a buddy). Or at least not just give up like that. She didn't even actually get to know Sakurako. Kind of a waste of what was almost an interesting Hikaru episode.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Unsure if I'm going to watch FGO.

I liked fate but I'm tepid on FGOs story. The franchise is just too all over the place.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Dog abuse with suplexes - 01

Oh. Well i was watching this with my friends and now they think i'm a weirdo (moreso) Theres a lot of close ups of a wrestling man close to a dogs taint. I've forgotten a lot of the episode already so thats a bit telling. Knowing ahead of time the princess gets suplexed was detrimental to the enjoyment of said suplex. Overall pretty meh, i got 1 chuckle i think. Rating: 2/7 pink triangles.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
Just finished Cop Craft and yeah that was the best show of the season despite wasting 90% of its budget on some of the worst fanservice I've personally tolerated in a long time. Neat!

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Special 7 Episode 1:

::Donk Donk:: This series is already better then Cop Craft, though that is not great prize, but it has the potential to be actually good.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Book Lady as a kid in a world without books 1
This has the opportunity of being wholesome and interesting as Myne tries to get her book on in the middle ages. I hope it can deliver.

Black Fox
Very much enjoyed what I saw, even if the movie kind of ends in the middle of the story with a good chunk of stuff to resolve. Great fight sequences and choreography and simple enough story to jump right into, even if the story beats were nothing surprising. I think the simplicity of it helped to endear me to the MCs a bit more, tho the antagonists could use some serious depth instead of playing up their one-note natures. Hopefully we'll either get a follow-up movie or series to flesh some more of this out.

Also, I hope I wasn't the only one that thought they heavily leaned on Marvel a few times, mainly around the title and end character credit sequence.

Status
Not open for further replies.