• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
OP
Printer Paper 8 X 11
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who was around these threads when it came out, I want to be clear that this is wrong. (Of course, even the first season of Psycho-pass got an at best mixed reception from this community at the time.)
Psycho Pass S1 is a very flawed yet interesting anime that couldn't stop getting in the way of itself or stumbling at the most important of times. It is somewhere between a 5-6 (Average - Above Average) grade for me, thus I have no want to touch a 2nd season that doesn't hone the interesting aspects but rather falls apart even further.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a patreon I can donate to.

For the medical treatment costs.
Modern medicine can't help me.
I remember being really into Elfen Lied back in college when I was still discovering how much anime was actually out there. It was probably the push towards violence and nudity more than anything else that got me invested, mainly because it was so different than what you'd get out of western animation. Then again, we all make early anime mistakes by getting into stuff like this or Green Green.

Hey, you should totally do a watch of Green Green next. Please don't do this for your own sanity
It marked the beginning of exploring anime on my own too, but in middle school, heh... Anyway, I won't watch Green Green, but I could watch Shuffle! again.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Kandagawa Jet Girls 1 - DROPPED
Well, I guess credit where credit is due: this has to be the most overtly yuri show I've seen since Valkyrie Drive. Sure, it hasn't gone as far that show did in its lewdness, but in terms of making every single character an obvious lesbian, no show I can recall since has doubled down on it to this extent.

I can kind of see why, though, as there isn't much else to talk about. Most of this episode is spent slowly introducing the other racing couples and establishing our lead pair, but for how much the idea of jet racing lies at the heart of the show, they hardly spend any time on it at all. I bring this up because the most direct comparison that comes to mind in terms of recent shows is the probably forgotten Two Car, a show about side-car racing that starred a bunch of two-woman teams of arguable sexuality. While Jet Girls is more lewd (including outright nudity) and more yuri, then the thing it lacks in comparison is a focus on the sport itself.

It's kind of telling that even though they start a race at the end of this episode, but I still have no idea what the role of the shooter is in the two-woman team. Do teams lose points for getting hit? If so, then why would being in the lead matter? It is meant to slow them down? It's not clear, and by making the only consequence of getting hit loosing clothing (what do you mean the Senran Kagura director created this IP?), it kind of makes me think the sport aspect of the show will take a backseat to the rest.

That's not necessarily a bad thing depending on what you're here for, but the trouble is that the "sexy action spectacle" doesn't even appear to come close to something like Keijo!!!!!!!!, which still feels like it reigns supreme in this particular sub-genre of sport-focused ecchi. I have too much on my plate right now to continue with Jet Girls at the moment, especially since it doesn't seem to be doing more than you would expect outside of making the yuri content unmistakably clear. But if that's all it has, that doesn't cut it for me.

Kyra

The Eggplant Queen
Oct 25, 2017
New York City
Why are the ladies battleships? - 01

HorrifiedFace.gif

So I guess this is an instance of having to be a bit familiar with the source material but I have never seen anything so baffling since Rio Rainbow Gate and I am still coming to terms with the fact that I have seen Rio Rainbow Gate.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
I watched both the Hensuki dub and sub and thought that the dub had some hilarious adlibs/spiced up the script in a way I appreciated. Cute little show all in all. Loved the reaction of the main character when he learned every girl that liked him was a pervert.

Dysun

Oct 25, 2017
Miami
Psycho Pass S1 was great, so its a given that anything that isn't close to it would get labelled as trash. It was fine, but unremarkable.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Elfen Lied 2

There wasn't much context in the first episode. Just to recap, Lucy got amnesia from taking a .50 caliber round to her restraint helmet while escaping an offshore supermax. Kouta, who happened to be moving to the nearby town for college, then finds her. The institute, under SAT, seemed close enough for the unconscious Lucy to somehow drift ashore. Without harbors, it's a mystery how that facility was built though. I didn't get the impression that those guards lived onsite, so for 23 of them to die on duty and not cause some kind of uproar is questionable too. SAT isn't cooperating well with the local law enforcement either, yet, it flies military helicopters to deploy commandos at the local beach. It's a flimsy premise, but whatever—tragic pasts need their equally outrageous vehicles sometimes.

How does Lucy's amnesia work like a light-switch? I want to guess that dissociative identity disorder doesn't develop and manifest this way either. Kouta keeps this stranger away from the police, and he's not yet concerned about why she has horns coming out of her head... She's definitely suffering from brain damage, but of course, the protagonist always knows best. Bando is nuts by the way. Rambo out here—guns literally ablaze—bashes Kouta's head in to drag Lucy away, and all Mr. Amnesia has to say afterwards is "gee, I hope she's alright." More blows to head aren't going to help Mr. and Mrs. Amnesia; they aren't old TVs! But it's all good since she protected the replacement sea shell for his sister's memento by giving Bando the hands. (Ignore she disarmed him, blinded him, and killed his comrade.)

yN7R6Za.jpg

Shell shock

Yuka, Kouta's cousin, has had a thing for him him for 8 years. OK. I'm not paying super-close attention, but there hasn't been other music tracks besides variations of the theme song. While Lucy has some basis for memory issues, there isn't any for the protagonist. Amnesia is sometimes just a literary emergency button.
—————
Body count: 24

Last edited:

Heh

Dec 12, 2017
Now that the previous season is over I can start watching Summer anime.

Astra Lost in Space

This whole who broke the communication device mystery is dumb. What if someone or something was already onboard and did it. What if Zack's deductions are wrong?

Oh my gosh, the more they talk about who it might be, the more the discussion spirals down lol. They shouldn't have brought it up until another incident of sabotage occurred. Like listen to your own advice, you don't know what you don't know (lol)

This whole thing seems pretty contrived.

What's that last part supposed to be? Red herring? Geeeeez. I also feel they haven't done a good job with the flip-flopping of lighthearted moments and dramatic moments, it seems extremely forced. Well I'll continue on.

The dishes made with alien ingredients looked pretty good.

That pollen looking stuff floating around on this planet seems super shady lol.

OH CRAP, I KNEW IT!

Yeah, yeah yeah. Emergency. Yunhua and Kanata, like seriously? Shove that Pon De Ring-like thing in everyone's mouth. Can't they put two and two together?

LOL Kanata, flawless logic. This ecosystem is all kinds of wack.

So they managed to fit a beach episode in a space travel survival anime. Okay. Romcom. Okay. Oh, I see that this is technically a shounen... Seemed like a interesting premise, but if these cliches and melodrama continues to happen I'm not going to enjoy the rest of this.

I wonder if these kids will destroy this "paradise."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Forgot to turn of my brain. Let me do it before it gets damaged. I feel like dropping this.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who was around these threads when it came out, I want to be clear that this is wrong. (Of course, even the first season of Psycho-pass got an at best mixed reception from this community at the time.)
Yup. The only truly good part of Psycho Pass was that arc with the old hunter guy and his dogs. Everything else was mediocre to bad.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
Vinland Saga 13

I realize that much of this episode won't necessarily play all that strongly to those who don't have a good grasp on just how different the various groups inhabiting the island of Great Britain were at the time. The Welsh aren't really a part of any other ethnic group in the region, being both distinct from the Anglo-Saxons and the Celts. Since they were isolated by the Atlantic but still shared an enormous land border with England, the Vikings could have picked them off relatively easily as they didn't have anywhere they could go. This is primarily why the Welsh made a lot of concessions to the Viking invaders, and the Vikings never had enough of a base in England to make a campaign across England to Wales in one year (primarily because Wales is a thoroughly mountainous region in comparison to England, which would have made it difficult to conquer quickly for a force that had to leave Great Britain every winter).
Interesting, I knew Welsh were ethnically distinct but not much beyond that. Though the show itself gives some trivia on it.

Elfen Lied 1: Selective amnesia, how I missed you! Things: unique title sequence*, nice backgrounds, Jouji Nakata, and it's quite graphic. There's donuts too:
—————
* NSFW
Body count: 23
Elfen Lied was an interesting show for me when I was really getting into anime. I generally tend to favor shows that start off strong at a premise level(conceptually interesting and in terms of execution) even if they go awry eventually and that first episode definitely held my intrigue in keeping up with the drama. That and that unusual OP really got me.

Last edited:

Kuro

Oct 25, 2017
Rewatching Bamboo Blade and its still as okay as I remember it but its chock full of misandry telling men to go die

I'll be here all night

Last edited:
Beastars 1
These two
KVNiyJS.jpg

CG is pretty impressive with smooth and dynamic movements. Even if the fur texture look a little solid they stylized it enough to make it fit with the characters and scenes. There also a few scene changes that both add context to character behavior and better position them where the manga may had them in a misleading scene that counter with there personality.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Psycho Pass 2 has the time effect where people liked it when it aired but years later people come out of the wood work randomly to express their inauthentic feelings, see this happening now on gaming side about Uncharted.

No I was here when it aired and it was never like this. Never.

Season 1 was another story. It was flawed but entertaining and interesting

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Now that the previous season is over I can start watching Summer anime.

Astra Lost in Space

This whole who broke the communication device mystery is dumb. What if someone or something was already onboard and did it. What if Zack's deductions are wrong?

Oh my gosh, the more they talk about who it might be, the more the discussion spirals down lol. They shouldn't have brought it up until another incident of sabotage occurred. Like listen to your own advice, you don't know what you don't know (lol)

This whole thing seems pretty contrived.

What's that last part supposed to be? Red herring? Geeeeez. I also feel they haven't done a good job with the flip-flopping of lighthearted moments and dramatic moments, it seems extremely forced. Well I'll continue on.

The dishes made with alien ingredients looked pretty good.

That pollen looking stuff floating around on this planet seems super shady lol.

OH CRAP, I KNEW IT!

Yeah, yeah yeah. Emergency. Yunhua and Kanata, like seriously? Shove that Pon De Ring-like thing in everyone's mouth. Can't they put two and two together?

LOL Kanata, flawless logic. This ecosystem is all kinds of wack.

So they managed to fit a beach episode in a space travel survival anime. Okay. Romcom. Okay. Oh, I see that this is technically a shounen... Seemed like a interesting premise, but if these cliches and melodrama continues to happen I'm not going to enjoy the rest of this.

I wonder if these kids will destroy this "paradise."

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Forgot to turn of my brain. Let me do it before it gets damaged. I feel like dropping this.

You can easily watch E1+2 and 11+12 to get the whole story lol

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
The first week of this season has been kind of dire >.< A couple shows I've checked out have been okay, but nothing I really want to keep following :/

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nanatsu no Taizai Season 3 is already a trainwreck.

- Worst Uverworld song ever
- Most boring OP ever
- New animation style is...not good
- Blood is now censored to white
- More censored gore which we were able to see in Season 2 lol
- Filler scenes even though they don't have time for that shit if they want to finish everything in time

Just wow. Manga has been total shit those past 6 months and now the anime also has been even worse than season 2.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Glad I got out after S1. MC was a creep anyway and I heard he gets even worse, so ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

ezodagrom

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
From this season, there's 2 animes that I had pretty low expectations about due to the studios handling them, but I was stll interested in watching them (PSO2 Episode Oracle, studio Gonzo, and Nanatsu no Taizai season 3, studio Deen).

PSO2 beat my expectations, while it wasn't amazing or anything, they did a good job making what is pretty much the game's tutorial and introduction more interesting, while also keeping the important parts.

From what I saw about Nanatsu, it's the opposite.
While I only saw the opening and a 2 mins clip of the fighting section so far, it looks rough, really rough... If the first episode is already like this, I can't imagine how rough this is going to be throughout 24 episodes.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Elfen Lied 3: Lucy is a mutant, Yuka moves in, they meet Mayu, there's a music box, and another mutant appears. Nyu also got Kouta to hand-wash her dirty pillow...

LE24Sf4.jpg

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Ouran Host Club - END
giphy.gif

Definitely a classic romcom that focuses it's time on the characters and comedy first and foremost ad everything else second. There is little to no "romance" in the show, but it is completely fine since the comedy was pretty good and the characters all added something to the show. Overall, this was just a fun show to watch from start to finish with slapstick comedy and good character interactions. The future manga chapters must have gotten pretty crazy if they continued past where the anime ended.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Cautious Hero 02

Kinda dire when Ristarte isn't making faces

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Ouran Host Club - END
giphy.gif

Definitely a classic romcom that focuses it's time on the characters and comedy first and foremost ad everything else second. There is little to no "romance" in the show, but it is completely fine since the comedy was pretty good and the characters all added something to the show. Overall, this was just a fun show to watch from start to finish with slapstick comedy and good character interactions. The future manga chapters must have gotten pretty crazy if they continued past where the anime ended.
Would have thought you went through this a long while ago. Glad you enjoyed, feel very similarly about it.

Blade of the Immortal 1-2
Ehhhh, this feels very ... jerky, spastic even. You can certainly get the gist of it but the pace at which scenes, cuts come and go feels increasingly baffling. Seems like they're rushing this hard. There're some fine&unique shots but the resources are not up to task to animate all the fighting adequately or at all and there's a limit to how much rapid stills you can take in quick succession.

Last edited:

RochHoch

One Winged Slayer
May 22, 2018
Nanatsu no Taizai Season 3 is already a trainwreck.

- Worst Uverworld song ever
- Most boring OP ever
- New animation style is...not good
- Blood is now censored to white
- More censored gore which we were able to see in Season 2 lol
- Filler scenes even though they don't have time for that shit if they want to finish everything in time

Just wow. Manga has been total shit those past 6 months and now the anime also has been even worse than season 2.
That's hilarious. Sounds like they went down a list of terrible decisions and went out of their way to make it all happen.

The manga has been straight garbo for so long now, the anime getting that treatment is like some sort of joke.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Would have thought you went through this a long while ago. Glad you enjoyed, feel very similarly about it.

Honestly, I'm not sure why I skipped it previously. I went in looking for comedy and got exactly what I wanted out of it, so I was very happy with it.

Someone mentioned the dub is great too, so I might have to check that out at some point

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Elfen Lied 4

"We must keep Lucy and her kind a secret, so send another mutant after her with no cover or support." What could go wrong? Head bandages for everyone!

Things: Mutant fight, Yuka's jealous, and Mayu moves in. Nyu also learned to use chopsticks, after making it so that Nana will probably never use them ever.

SAT's president wants to create a new human race by the way. They work with local law enforcement and government by the way! His son, head of one of the research teams, is impeding the efforts to retrieve Lucy because he wants to be Adam. Ugh. The failed operation results in the order to put Nana down...

OCXrg29.png

What this goes for could work, but the methods are concerning at times. Many times. Okay, all the time.
—————
Where's the rest of the chair?
It's in its rebellious phase, like Yuka It's the kind made for low tables (left).

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Blade of the Immortal 01-02

This is certainly stylish, but it's doing a lot to hide production shortcomings.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Symphogear: 11-13
-There are a few cool moments, but not enough to make up for how bad the rest is.

-I guess they just completely threw out the fact that doing the climax song power thing kills you.

-Why are the three stupid friends relevant all of a sudden? The otaku girl is cringy as heck.

-Boo hoo, poor villain whose motives were info dumped last minute.

-Hibiki has the gullibility of centrist US Democrats. That whole scenario was so stupid, and Hibiki's moral compass is stupid. And nothing about it justifies the villain dying in peace like that.

-What even was the point of that faking death thing? It lasts all of a few minutes of screen time, and don't develop anything out of it.

Symphogear: 1-3
-My god, what a difference from the previous season, everything is better. Especially the singing aspect is actually better integrated with the battle, and the sound mixing is better as I can listen to the singing. They actually do justice to their main premise.

-The villains have a strong introduction, and some of the mystery setup is legit interesting. The show is doing a really good job at drawing the audience back for more.

-Wow, that brief flashback what I presume is Hibiki's past is tantalizing.

-One of my favorite thing in anime has been when the end credit music starts and the final scene bleeds into the end credit, and this season is cool for doing that. The ending song is really good, btw.

-Can't say it appeals to me, but currently it is very watchable.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Oresuki ep.2
Yes, yes, suffer more MC-kun. This is fun destruction of standard romcom tropes. I feel for the dude, but watching him suffer is too good, lol

Oct 25, 2017
Caution Hero 2

Ristarte must have ran out of funny faces and I'm worry for the next episode will be flop hard.

Just kidding, it was good.

Oct 25, 2017
Astra Episode 12 END EngDub

Mostly good except for the epilogue, they could have kept that garbage, what a way to ruin a show. Should have gone no pairings at least, Ulgur and Kanata was heavily hinted especially when he got all emotional reminiscing about being saved and wrapped in his arms.

Didnt think the skip to the future was necessary, could have ended it with the immediate aftermath of revealing the truth to the world.

Loved the anime otherwise, wish we explored longer than just making this a 12 episode/ short volume series.

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017
Astra Episode 12 END EngDub

Mostly good except for the epilogue, they could have kept that garbage, what a way to ruin a show. Should have gone no pairings at least, Ulgur and Kanata was heavily hinted especially when he got all emotional reminiscing about being saved and wrapped in his arms.

Didnt think the skip to the future was necessary, could have ended it with the immediate aftermath of revealing the truth to the world.

Loved the anime otherwise, wish we explored longer than just making this a 12 episode/ short volume series.
I disagree with this. Kanata was pushed most with Aries, while Ulgar was pushed most with Luca if anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.