• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Oresuki episode 2

tusZw3G.png

Funny face goddess anime episode 2

I like watching this for the goddess. In fact, it's the only reason I watch it.

lorddarkflare

Oct 25, 2017
ORE WO SUKI NANO WA OMAE DAKE KA YO

The level of fuckery on display here has ramped up much faster than I thought.

This is the sort of pile up that made Gamers such a fun watch.

I very much look forward to the moment when everyone else finds out how much of a manipulative, entitled shitheel the protag is. Until then, his continued suffering will suffice.

Also, Gamers Season 2 when?

Last edited:

peyrin

Oct 27, 2017
California
There are very, very slim chances this turns out even half as great as the manga, but I'm still holding out hope that for some nonsensical reason a dream team of animators will assemble and make this the anime of the decade. I'm soon gonna be so damn disappointed...

it's not quite "dream team" levels, but this trio is rock solid:

Director: Yuichiro Hayashi
Character Design: Tomohiro Kishi
Art Design: Shinji Kimura

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Elfen Lied 5 "🎂"

Nyu just Burger King all up in this... ahem. Mayu's stepfather sexually abused her on a regular basis and her mother didn't listen to her plea for help, saying she's a nuisance instead. After running away, she attempted drowning herself in the sea, but a stray dog snapped her out of it. Now she's run away from Kouta and Yuka's place because she doesn't want to be a "burden" again, then that dog is taken away from her by the original owner. It's her birthday by the way. She just turned 14.

Kouta and Yuka bring Mayu back that night. Her mom didn't hesitate to give them custody (?¿?). They then attend the research guy's college class with Nyu. He pretends to be her family so that they leave her alone with him. Lucy takes over after he put her asleep to rape her—this is the guy that wants to be the progenitor to a new human race. Although it was his doing that allowed her to escape the supermax, she kills him. Problem solved??

izlH2PU.jpg

smol concern

Thankfully, the dog found its way back to Mayu. Does such a straightforward development require three different angles though? They don't form layers; they're just stacked. The show already exhausted its shock value by mutilating 23 bodies in the first episode so... Mayu's past is also open-and-shut, apart from not exposing her stepfather. Being for the audiences' knowledge only makes it feel extra shoehorned. I can't help but guess it's here to justify Lucy by comparison for decapitating her would-be raper and continuing to be "on the run." This is a really nasty way of doing that...

I'm mildly curious about what would happen if Nyu discovered her vectors. I also can't wait for this to take a page out of Mad Bull 34, "only love can end the killing."
—————
Body count: 25

Last edited:

Yu Narukami

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 26, 2017
Now I understand how a few anime adaptations aren't as good as the source material. I started watching Danmachi and I keep wondering "Who are these people? They were nothing like that in the books." Also I counted 5 Hestia panty shots in the first episode. 😂

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
it's not quite "dream team" levels, but this trio is rock solid:

Director: Yuichiro Hayashi
Character Design: Tomohiro Kishi
Art Design: Shinji Kimura
They also have the dude who did series composition for both seasons of Mob Psycho, etc. Not a bad team at all, even if I'm not really into Hayashi as a director.

Kuroyume

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Those first two episode of Blade of the Immortal were very disappointing. I'm not a fan of the visual style at all. It reminds me of Shigurui. It has that sun bleached look that is low on color, high on white as if the contrast on my screen is set on max. It feels like it's trying to blind the viewer most of the time.

And the action scenes weren't impressive at all. Very janky and short

Still, it's nice to hear my favorite vocalist (singer of Kuroyume) in the OP. :B

Shining Star

Banned
May 14, 2019
Astra Episode 12 END EngDub

Mostly good except for the epilogue, they could have kept that garbage, what a way to ruin a show. Should have gone no pairings at least, Ulgur and Kanata was heavily hinted especially when he got all emotional reminiscing about being saved and wrapped in his arms.

Didnt think the skip to the future was necessary, could have ended it with the immediate aftermath of revealing the truth to the world.

Loved the anime otherwise, wish we explored longer than just making this a 12 episode/ short volume series.

Kanata is a married man!

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
Ahiru no Sora 02
Wow, Sora's mom was way ahead of the times for basketball. All about the three pointer even with this being published in 2003/4. A true visionary.

Madoka has been a cool character so far, but there is something hilarious about her standing outside the gym doorway for four(!) hours and counting the 1,000+ 3 point shots Sora takes. I know we need a way to pass that knowledge to the other guy who thought he was doing the most at 200, but I found it amusing (still a good moment though).

Also have to respect how blatantly the opening displays that the the pompadour guy is going to cut his hair. Maybe it is just something that happens and not a huge emotional character moment for him. Guess we will see.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise Episode 1:

Decent enough premiere I suppose though I jut hope this season remembers to include some actual stakes this time.

Twig

Oct 25, 2017
I guess I have to accept those visuals, but I'm not a huge fan.

Way too fuckin' clean. That's not the Dorohedoro aesthetic I love. ):

Oct 25, 2017
Beastars 01

Zj4pLbq.png

Orange you sons of bitches you did it again.

Quite the strong opener. The same strengths we saw in 2017's Anime of the Year Land of the Lustrous are being flexed here. Great color. Great direction. Body language and acting through every aspect of how the characters move and animate. A good score. Being so far ahead on CG that its almost unfair to compare.

I'm not sure if it will resonate the same as LandLust or have equal emotional power, but the first episode did not disappoint.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Oresuki 2-

giphy.gif

This is so good so far. Watching Joro dig himself into bigger holes every minute is delightful.

And that ending my god. Sumireko is just... *chef's kiss*

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
Beastars Episode 1:

So, going to against the grain here, at least right now, but this feel completely flat to me and it isn't anything hat the anime is doing. The problem I have with this is Bestars actually moved too quickly in trying to be suave and complicated and naunced when it whiffed it on a big foundational. The show likes to bang on about the innate nature of carnivores and yes that is biology, carnivores need to eat meat to live, they don't eat plants and I have seen nothing that indicates how they have dealt with that literal basic fact of life. Also ye this is enough to drag me out of this world since so much is clearly hinging on the Zootopia idea here and failing on the same level. I hope this gets resolved quickly.

sinonobu

Oct 25, 2017
Aikatsu on Parade 1

So Raki's immediate stand out traits are being spacy, getting lost easily, and ignoring do not press buttons. This is the person that's going to be leading the journey into new dimensions? I'm more interested in her big sister, who is apparently an evil mad scientist who has unlocked the secrets of the multiverse through the power of holographic idol technology. And I thought last season was nuts. Nothing much yet since it was all setup in the Friends universe with the actual hook only coming in the last few minutes. But I think Aine/Mio just declared idol war on Yume/Koharu, so that's something. Speaking of Yume, definitely pumped to get more of her. More Stars is always good. ED is a nice nostalgic callback to Idol Activity, and more importantly contains Shion. Praise be they remembered her. Not sure what to expect other than cross-universe idols interacting, but if they can nail that they've got me hooked.
NGL I'm not really excited for this show because it seems like it's mainly going to be live recylces (with no updated models ofc) and nothing much more.

Seeing stars cast was definitely neat (excited to see AKO again for sure) but the show right now kinda feels like a quick cash grab before the next series in spring.

Sanox

Oct 25, 2017
Kandagawa Jet Girls 1

Was alright. I have no idea what the rules of jet racing even are outside of the racing suit probably representing the racer's HP and I assume you are out when you lose all parts of the suit. Problem I see right now is that the sport aspect might end up not really be exciting

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Beastars Episode 1:

So, going to against the grain here, at least right now, but this feel completely flat to me and it isn't anything hat the anime is doing. The problem I have with this is Bestars actually moved too quickly in trying to be suave and complicated and naunced when it whiffed it on a big foundational. The show likes to bang on about the innate nature of carnivores and yes that is biology, carnivores need to eat meat to live, they don't eat plants and I have seen nothing that indicates how they have dealt with that literal basic fact of life. Also ye this is enough to drag me out of this world since so much is clearly hinging on the Zootopia idea here and failing on the same level. I hope this gets resolved quickly.

i had the same question sometime during the episode, but only for a split second. they're not regular animals so whatever they're going to say for how they haven't been eating meat is fine

anyway, i'm with the herd on this. i love the effect for the opening scene in the lecture hall, having the models be outlined instead of it just being dark or using weird lighting or something . . . genius

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Blade of the Immortal 1-2

It seems like they're really trying to blaze through this. It's interesting to see where they decided to start and which parts of the early manga chapters they decided to cut in order to get started on the meat of the story. Personally I think those early chapters were badass intros for Manji, but I can understand if time is of the essence here. It also feels kinda modernized in tone compared to the original manga chapters which came out back in the mid 90's.

How far are they even planning to get in 24 episodes?

It reminds me of Shigurui.

I was wondering what it reminded me of. It definitely feels of that era.

I'll admit though, the PV for Wave Listen To Me actually does look better.

Taruranto

Oct 26, 2017
Cute Boys Playing Soft Tennis #1

Wow these guys suck.

This was fairly generic, but also well animated and clearly they are putting effort into it, so not bad?

It seems also fairly dark under the "lol guys playing soft tennis" and the other protagonist's mommy gives me "horror mother" vibes

Anyway, if you made it to the end of this of this point you are problably interest in sport anime and want to know if the actual reason to watch this show is here:

Yes, the protagonists are shippable together.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Elfen Lied 6

Kouta and the professor's assistant discover his horny head. Past trauma blocks Kouta from explaining this when he's back. OK. Chief Kurama killed his own daughter and his wife committed suicide after witnessing it. OK. The cousins kiss and share the most romantic moments ever. (He still doesn't remember her well.) OK. Mayu meets up with Bando on the beach, the nice guy who can't help himself from punching almost every woman and child he meets. OK. Kurama secretly let Nana live because she loved him like a father. OK? Gee, that really makes up for strangling your actual newborn daughter! You know this is all really sad because it's raining.

g6lvJQX.jpg

I cri evrytiem

One of the reasons why the diclonius (mutants) are confined is that they can easily infect men. Another reason is because they kill people... but only because they're mistreated to begin with (by men)! Apart from Lucy, who is designated as the carrier, the other mutants are infertile and treated as nothing more than experiments.

This is... getting pretty boring, more so than Kanon (2006). There just isn't much going on when Lucy isn't killing people, which shouldn't be the case, but here we are.

Dougieflesh

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Milky Way Ghetto
Assassin's Pride 1
I thought I clicked on Sword Art at first cuz the MC looks like another Kirito. I like both of the protags so far. Gonna roll my eyes out of my skull when the protags romantically get together though.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Gundam Build Divers Re:Rise 1-2

Well, this is surprisingly promising out of the gate. The first Build Divers had this aimlessness to it and some rather boring characters learning the ropes that never seemed to go anywhere. Admittedly, I still need to finish the last third but from all I've been told there's not much to it. I used to crack jokes about how they were putting together a JRPG party in the first show but this is interesting as it's starting off characters (that actually have character) getting caught up in what's ostensibly a JRPG story that's, as the show says, not really all that Gundam. The promise of GBN has always been this potential to do whatever in it but it's always been held back by lack of imagination which could be averted in this case. I do appreciate the MC not being another incompetent entry into this. He's cut from the same cloth as Setsuna or Heero in that he's hypercompetent but has a real issue connecting with people which is probably the impetus behind his solo play.

It definitely left a better impression on me than I had anticipated.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Blade of the Immortal 1-2

It seems like they're really trying to blaze through this. It's interesting to see where they decided to start and which parts of the early manga chapters they decided to cut in order to get started on the meat of the story. Personally I think those early chapters were badass intros for Manji, but I can understand if time is of the essence here. It also feels kinda modernized in tone compared to the original manga chapters which came out back in the mid 90's.

How far are they even planning to get in 24 episodes?

Supposed to be a complete adaptation iirc.

Oct 25, 2017
Tampa
No Gun Life Episode 1:

His head is a gun, your argument is always invalid. At any rate, this is reminding me so much of 1980s cyberpunk anime and manga and I am so here for that.

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
No Guns Life 01

A hard-boiled detective with a gun for a head just punched a train into the air with his gun hands.

Pellaidh

Oct 26, 2017
Beastars - 1
Man, this just looks utterly amazing. Much better than I thought it would from watching the trailers.

It's just a shame the writing doesn't really seem to be on the same level so far. The whole predator vs prey setting doesn't really do anything for me, as applying human morality to animals doesn't really make sense. Wolves hunting sheep doesn't make them evil, it's just their natural instinct. I'm also doubtful the show is going to be able to pull of its bullying storyline simply because I've yet to see an anime show about bullying that wasn't complete garbage, but I'll give it the benefit of a doubt for now simply because the visuals are good enough to make me keep watching it.

Assassin's Pride - 1
This, on the other hand, was just such thrash. This entire episode is basically just watching a poor defenseless girl get bullied and then physically assaulted, only for her to be rescued by her hot edgy "instructor" (who is also a bad-ass assassin) at the last possible moment. And then because simply rescuing her wasn't enough, he also gives her super powers, thereby instantly solving a problem the girl has been struggling with for her entire life. Oh, and the protagonist works for a guild literally called "White Night". That's just so stupid it cannot be a coincidence.

But instead of embracing the edginess, the worst part of the show is that it just takes itself so seriously. To the point that it starts feeling like a parody at some points. The scene where the girl is being beaten up by the monsters is just so completely over the top it's hard to take seriously. Except the show legitimately wants it to be this big dramatic moment.

And just when you think the eventual romance between the two leads couldn't get any creepier, he literally starts calling her "My Little Lady".

Phantasy Star Online 2 - 1
The only thing I really remember about PSO2's story is that Afin was incredibly annoying. And in this respect, this certainly seems like a very faithful adaptation. For the rest, this is super generic, and the production values are pretty bad throughout. I guess this is made specifically for the super hardcore PSO2 fans, so I'm clearly not the target audience.

Other than that, I guess the most notable thing for me was translating the name of the monsters as falspawn rather than darkers. Which I think is fine, since darkers always seemed kind of silly. I wonder if this is what the american version of the game will end up using.

Fate Grand Order Babylonia - 1
This was fine, I guess. I heard going in that it'll have a pretty slow start, and that certainly seems to be true so far, with this episode being mostly setup with only very minimal action. Still, given the staff behind this, I'm fairly certain it will deliver.

And thankfully, despite my knowledge of the game being pretty minimal, things still make sense so far. So at least right now it looks like it will still be decently accessible to newcomers despite adapting the 7th arc of the game's storyline.

Oct 25, 2017
Legend of the Galactic Heroes ~Die Neue These~ 1

This is a bit better than I would have expected from the pre-release material (oh so long ago). It's not on the same level as the Overture to a New War film, but it is a competent retelling of the material that isn't strictly a glossier sheen on the original OVAs. What stuck out the most to me was how wide a gap there was between the acrobatic camerawork sweeping through space past planets and battleships in the CG scenes and the stiff direction in the 2D scenes. I assume the space scenes were storyboarded by the CG team separately from the main 2D staff. It makes the exterior scenes in combat thrilling to watch, but the contrast makes the interior scenes feel more like a missed opportunity, especially with the iffy designs and general paucity of animation. This is sort of the opposite of the Gundam the Origin anime in this aspect. The music is a missed opportunity too - obviously it's hard to match up to the greatest hits of Western classical orchestral literature that made up the original OVA's soundtrack, but the generically epic movie orchestral soundtrack here would be forgettable even without that comparison looming overhead. I think a better move would have been to have a more complete break stylistically - gone for something electronic or jazz instead of this middle-of-the-road result.

The script structuring seems solid. I liked how this episode focused on Reinhard until at the very end his co-protagonist Yang appears as a mysterious voice promising to thwart Reinhard's plans just as they're about to come to completion. (Kircheis' "I worry there's someone on the other side as smart as you" line just before was a bit on the nose though.) Closing the episode proper on a shot of Yang from the back, then having the ED scroll through the huge cast of characters until only in the very last moments Yang's face is finally revealed, was a nice bit of coordination (albeit a bit ruined by having Yang's face show up during the OP!).

FluxWaveZ

Persona Central
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Wow, is Beastars not on Netflix Canada? That means I actually have no way of watching it.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Alicization hasn't even finished airing yet and you're already rushing to crown an Anime of the Year when the Anime of all time hasn't even come back yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.