• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
Yeah... but I like dubs and want a dubbed release :P
Well, then I wonder that if the dubs for the OVAs were commissioned by Netflix... would that mean that any third party overseas interested in a re-release would have to be responsible for a new dubbing process, aside from previous step of pursuing the licensing of the IP itself? For a product that has been as easily accessible as it was until recently, such investment could mean insufficient returns for a licensee in the low-end estimation. Sadly, I assume many potential licensee wouldn't be too interested at the moment.

Maybe with time, or maybe sooner via new distribution deals spearheaded by the management committee in case a promotional push for the original property is in order (e.g. new content produced within the brand).

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Well, then I wonder that if the dubs for the OVAs were commissioned by Netflix... would that mean that any third party overseas interested in a re-release would have to be responsible for a new dubbing process, aside from previous step of pursuing the licensing of the IP itself? For a product that has been as easily accesible as it was until recently, such investment could mean insufficient returns for a licensee in the low-end estimation. Sadly, I assume many potential licensee wouldn't be too interested at the moment.

Maybe with time, or via new distribution deals spearheaded by the management committee in case a promotional push for the original property is in order (e.g. new content produced within the brand).
From what I've read through projects like the Skip Beat Kickstarter it's extremely unlikely Netflix owns the rights to its dub, and that instead the parent company owns the rights. So when the TV series license runs out it shouldn't be impossible for another company to get the rights including the dub from the parent company without ever talking to Netflix at all.

It's why all the Funimation rereleases of bandai stuff has the original voices though because the Japanese company owns the dub.

I figure at the very least once the tv series rights expire we will have some company pick the up the home video rights. But we don't know how many years that will be and until then there won't be legal access to the dub of the OVA :/

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Oresuki 03

Are you fucking kidding me? This is the biggest disappointment I've had with an anime in a long ass time. Congrats, I guess? Sun threatening to rape Sanshokuin and pretty much getting away with it was infuriating. No repercussions whatsoever. Sanshokuin revealing herself as someone the MC knew by unbinding her breasts was yet another dumb thing that happened in this episode. Ugh.

/XX/

Oct 25, 2017
Spain
From what I've read through projects like the Skip Beat Kickstarter it's extremely unlikely Netflix owns the rights to its dub, and that instead the parent company owns the rights. So when the TV series license runs out it shouldn't be impossible for another company to get the rights including the dub from the parent company without ever talking to Netflix at all.

It's why all the Funimation rereleases of bandai stuff has the original voices though because the Japanese company owns the dub.
Hmmmm... I won't delve too much on hypothetical questions that vary greatly on a case-to-case basis without knowing the exact deals made, but yeah, as you say there are many examples of old properties that retained their dubs on re-releases, as the rights returned to the original IP management companies or committees.

However, it is my understanding that there is a distinction regarding derivative works that could mean, in this case, that Netflix still retains certain rights to a dubbing or ADR production process even if they relinquish rights to reproduce the work; done as part of a Netflix-commissioned content workflow handled by the Netflix Post Partner Program (NP3), or as "content partner-commissioned licensed content workflows" through the Netflix Preferred Fulfillment Partner (NPFP). In case of the former, for the LWA OVAs, Netflix could still conserve partial rights for that version of derivative work (the specific "dubbed version", let's say) that would revert to the copyright holder in a given time we are not aware of.

Even then, without knowing the agreement in place at the time, this is just an assumption that can be far from the truth! :-P

Last edited:

zulux21

Oct 25, 2017
Even then, without knowing the agreement in place at the time, this is just an assumption that can be far from the truth! :-P
I just know with the Skip Beat kickstarter it was for NA only and shortly after it succeeded it was announced for EU dubbed through a different company which is when the skip beat kickstarter explained that not only do they not own the rights to the dub they are producing that it's rare for the company making the dub to retain rights to it at all. Typically the parent company owns all rights to the dub the moment you make it, but they can't break the contract you have. So if you have rights for NA they can't sell it to another company in NA until your rights run out.

I can't imagine Netflix would own the distribution rights to something and just stop streaming it for the heck of it, so it wouldn't be surprising if those are up for grabs. But as was said it was readily available for a long time so another company likely will wait to license it to increase demand and odds they get a good return. As I said I would expect that to be until the TV series drops off netflix as then they could package everything together and the demand for the OVAs alone should be enough to drive the sales.

Dale Copper

Apr 12, 2018
Zeta Gundam 38
I'm kinda disgusted with Reccoa that she can so easily betray the ones she's worked so closely with. Even the Titans guy was like, "any decent human being would feel something". We get no indication that Reccoa feels anything anymore for her Argama fellows. Even Char had the decency to feel a tinge of regret at betraying Garma.

Also, nothing makes me happier than the constant crash and burn of Jerid. Every failure he experiences fills my heart with joy
giphy.gif

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Jerid is the biggest piece of shit in that series, and that is saying something considering all the mass murderers running around.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
For me it's a toss up between Yazan and Scirocco. Both make me wanna hurl things at the screen.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
For me its the personal nature of Jerid's assholishness that gets me. Dude is straight up proud that he killed Kamille's mom and doesn't even really try to cloud it on him just doing his job.

RedSwirl

Oct 25, 2017
Attack on Titan Season 3

I guess it was pretty good. I'd already read manga spoilers so I knew about the major stuff that was gonna happen, but I still think they really pulled off the feel of that last battle being really desperate and down to the wire. Through all three seasons the show maintained this really grim war of attrition feeling combined with typical shounen fight tactics. I wonder how anime fans are gonna take the sudden shift from here on out.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
Bookworm Episode 3:

Pretty soon Mine is going to rule this world and then Ancient Egypt will pay.

if she's too dumb to start selling that shampoo, i don't think she's got it in her to rule the world

as for the episode, it wasn't bad or anything, but after the start of episode one, everything that's not leading up to that feels really slow. whatever was going on there seems way more interesting than being poor as fuck in the winter, i wish the story would hurry up and get there

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
I have to assume that Bookworm's end game has to include movable type so I find it weird that she still hasn't started to plan on how to introduce it (I'm only up to episode 2).

squall23

Oct 25, 2017
I have no clue what that is... New SD Gundam series?
Mashin Eiyuuden Wataru is a super popular series in the 80s to early 90s spanning more than 100 episodes and multiple OVAs. Last year, interest in the IP was revived when it was introduced in Super Robot Wars. New merchandise and sometimes new seasons for old series tends to be created when SRW puts them in the spotlight. It's one of the major reasons why the new season of Full Metal Panic exists.

Aurica

音楽オタク - Comics Council 2020
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
A mountain in the US
Don't think I've ever posted in an anime OT on era before (more of a manga guy), but I wanted to talk about Ahiru no Sora. A few years ago, I randomly picked up the first volume at Bookoff one day, and I really liked it but never got around to reading more. When I saw it was getting adapted, I was pretty excited, though. I thought it showed so much promise, and the characters were so endearing.

I saw it was on Japanese netflix today, so I watched the two episodes that were available (not sure how long after airing ep 3 goes up...). It seems like a really good adaptation! The art and animation look solid, the soundtrack isn't generic, its opening is by The Pillows (!), the voice actors are very well suited to their characters, and the directing seemed perfect. I don't often like TV anime because many of them feel like they take shortcuts that bug me, but hopefully this one is good. The source material has some of the typical male creeping that I hate to expect, which is a blemish on an otherwise charming series full of heart, but I hope that dies down as it goes along.

I'm watching this and Beastars... and I haven't stayed up with a seasonal for many years. Doubt I'll watch anything else, but I'm happy with these two so far.

Edit: And I just finished Beastars episode 2. WTF. Oh, my.

Last edited:

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
Year: Sometime in the far future.
Humanity: Living in Space Colonies.
Space Nazis: Oh you better believe there are space nazis.
Milquetoast Protagonist with girl who loves him and hangs around him: Oh you better believe it. And he LOVES PEACE.
Neutral Colony that hasn't seen war: The most neutral.
Sudden invasion by commando squad of said space nazis, probably all teenaged boys with bad attitudes: You better believe it, the worst attitudes.
Milquetoast boy becoming a hero after the colony is attacked and he climbs into a giant robot where he kills a heck of a lot of space nazis in less cool giant robots: You know it.

Am I watching the original Mobile Suit Gundam? I am not.
...Oh, You're watching GUNDAM SEED right? (The coordinators aren't space nazis though) You wish.
...Aldnoah Zero? Hell no.
...Gundam AGE? You couldn't pay me to watch that again.

I'm watching, the one, the only...

tqac1O9.gif

VALVRAVE THE LIBERATOR: 01

So I described the first half of the episode pretty accurately. Haruto is the lame protagonist who climbs into a robbit after his love interest Shoko is blown up (off camera, with no body shown) by a transfer student bully who just happens to be a fucking space nazi. I mean, literally the third space reich. He goes crazy, gives up his humanity to his Apple Car loli assistant and pilots the Valvrave against some generic ass mobile suits. A shut in hacker girl shares all this live on the future internet and Haruto gets a lot of friend requests. End of episode. Oh and the post episode scene has him get stabbed through the heart and shot a bunch by the bully, and before he steals the robbit the main character becomes a space vampire and chomps down on his neck. Okay so it's not exactly like those other shows, but it sure does feel like someone got nostalgic for Gundam SEED and had just read Twilight.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
Hey, question. I know Hulu made a deal with Funimation so Hulu gets a bunch of funimation stuff but is that just limited to their sub and some dub content? Or do they also get simuldubs?

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
ORESUKI Are you the only one who loves me? 1-3

Thanks to a recommendation of a certain youtuber, I started watching this. This is very close to being a good comedy yet it's not quite there for most of it and in the 3rd episode it goes full drama which was surprisingly engrossing. At first it kind of seems like a slight subversion of harem romcom tropes with the MC just pretending to be the standard harem MC but with how the last episode went I'm not sure if it's going to stay that way.

All in all, surprisingly good and I want to keep watching.

Cornbread78

Oct 25, 2017
Northeast USA
Soma S4 ep.1
All the feelings of how shitty this arc is came rushing back in an instant. However, thus is Food Wars and it's generally stupid enough and entertaining enough to keep me coming back and having fun. I really miss the intensity and magic that Sona brought in the first two season's though.

Also Erina is trash.....

We Never Learn S2 ep. 1-2
Right back into the harem fun with this one. It'll be fun watching as things progress with all the girls, but "Blue" has to be in the lead although Takemoto is in favorite. Noodle girl might as well drop out now.

Black Clover ep.105
Luck!!!!!! Welcome back friend..... The new base for the bulls is awesome, lol.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Oresuki 1

Man that was a curveball lol. This started off sooooooooooooooooooo generic that I almost gave up in the first few minutes but glad I stuck around for the twist. I also didnt expect to hear the Imperial March either.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017
Sword Art Online Alicilization War of the Underworld Episode 1

Kirito clutching Eugeo sword for dear life and even going as far as falling out of his wheel chair and wanting to get him back from the bullies. I cried so hard and so much. Eugeo is still loved.

Dull OP, Dull ED song.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Etotama 2–12 [END]

Amnesia and shogi—two things I loathe. When something directly rambles about how uninteresting its own characters are, I lose interest too... Then again, shounen fare is hard for me to stomach anyway. The battles were OK but felt mostly trivial. The middling humor got tiresome, much like Nyaa-tan. Moo-tan was the most interesting, but her depth was likely due to receiving the strongest boot this work was willing to climb into. I guess the character designs would be the largest takeaway for me, of which there are clear standouts: 🐈, 🐤, 🐉, 🐄, & 🐇. Overall, it was mediocre and wore off its charm as fast as it was willing to belittle itself for content.

3ncyN5c.png

—————
Ranks: 1. Ox, 2. Cat, 3. Boar, 4. Rooster, 5. Dragon, 6. Snake, 7. Rabbit, 8. Tiger, 9. Goat, 10. Dog, 11. Monkey, 12. Rat, 13. Horse

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Fire Force 7-9

Being less horny would make this show better. I said this last time and I will say it again. Even with cool fight choreography the "oops I feel right into your chest and took your skirt and your clothes burned off how scandalous" just ruins it. It also has weird pacing issues where it absolutely doesn't give anything time to breath. Like I can't even call any of these things arcs cause it just moves from one thing to another so quickly. Like immediately going from "let's go undercover" to "we found our culprit and are going to take him out" in 1 episode just seems silly.

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
Oresuki 2-3

This felt like a finale lol. Happy all of that stuff got wrapped up but I hope there are more mind games in the future. Seems like everyone has an awful personality but not so bad where they cant be redeemed. The recurring gags and over the top fanservie are also hilarious.

blurr

Oct 26, 2017
The Rose of Versailles 40 END

Oscar Francois de Jarjayes may not be real but she sure made this show. The art montage after her passing was very effective.

Thankfully, they do show some of the key events of the aftermath and I was looking forward to see how they would handle Antoinette and Louis XVI's deaths. Amazing how the Antoinette bowing to the people was something that actually happened and not something meant to dramatize or glorify. Truth is stranger than fiction and all that jazz. I am particularly glad they put that scene where she is separated from her son and the guardsman argues that he too lost his son who died of malnutrition while she lived in all her royal bliss. It's a reality of France I wished Antoinette faced sooner or later. Alas, it was too late. The Rose metaphor takes form with an artificial rose made by Antoinette in memory of Oscar, at the end, Oscar could never live for herself, she was a canvas for everyone. Even as she realized her love for Andre, it was too late.

The Rose of Versailles is a fascinating show that piqued many of my interests while also being unlike anything I've watched. The incredibly melodramatic events in the palaces of Versailles, Marie Antoinette's extravagance to the boiling revolution were an intimate roller coaster of events going at every scale. I have some reservations on some of the events and ethical framing of it but all in all, I've had an amazing journey. I don't recall when it was that I even started watching this but I'm glad I took my time to savor each episode.

Last edited:

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Oresuki 3

That was great except for the Sun-chan threatening to rape her. What the fuck.

Everything else was great though, but this scene...ugh.

Valcrist

Tic-Tac-Toe Champion
Oct 25, 2017
Oresuki 3

That was great except for the Sun-chan threatening to rape her. What the fuck.

Everything else was great though, but this scene...ugh.

Yeah seriously. I'm surprised multiple people in here aren't bugged by that. It has pretty much ruined the show for me so far due to how everyone in the show is basically letting it slide.

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah seriously. I'm surprised multiple people in here aren't bugged by that. It has pretty much ruined the show for me so far due to how everyone in the show is basically letting it slide.

Nya people always act here, but most of them here don't give a shit as you can see. :P /s

No that seriously irked me and even on Reddit there are people complaining about that, but here? Nothing to see. It's a great show minna-san!!! (it's good, but that scene was so stupid)

Status
Not open for further replies.