• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Aaronrules380

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Babylonia is really really long. Its basically like reading a standard medium size VN.
I wonder if they're also planning to do the final singularity stuff as well after Babylon. Some of the choices they made in episode 0 make me think they're going that direction, especially since the final singularity doesn't really lend itself to an adaption by itself

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I've played it but it feels like were abit more ahead than where I thought we'd be. I guess there are things I'm forgetting.

Like 40% of it was SOL stuff that the anime could significantly reduce in length with montages. Thats probably why things are moving fast.

Casker

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if they're also planning to do the final singularity stuff as well after Babylon. Some of the choices they made in episode 0 make me think they're going that direction, especially since the final singularity doesn't really lend itself to an adaption by itself
I think that would cut it way too close. If they ever do the final singularity, an OVA or movie would be the better format.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Beastars 5

Consistently great direction. Legosi is precious so is his best friend Jack.

Oct 25, 2017
Yugioh Episode 141

How you dont win the duel even after getting an Obelisk the Tormentor with Infinite ATK points, lol.

Also how everyone continues to go NANI even when they have like four backup plans with all their Reverse Cards.

moogs

Oct 25, 2017
Infinite Stratos II 2–12 + OVA [END]: I give up. My best summary is terrorist attacks with zero consequences and harem antics, of which the latter is more entertaining.
—————
Ranks: Mon. England, Tue. England, Wed. England, Thu. England, Fri. England, Sat. China, Sun. England

Oct 25, 2017
Ahiru no Sora Episode 6

lol at that time that Tokiwa was so stunned and shocked that he could only fall on the floor and stare.

I really wish Chuckie got to score, but Nabe getting one was good too.

Also aw everyone making friends with the other team post game. What a wonderful anime that just me smile and feel all happy and warm inside.

Oct 25, 2017
Ok for real: is there any literal difference between the words "seiyuu" and "voice actor"? Because every source I'm looking up says there actually isn't.

Not really. Although a lot of seiyu are trained professional singers or actors too. Not like thats uncommon outside of Japan, but even shows not about singing will have a lot of character songs.

Oct 25, 2017
Granblue Fantasy Season 2 Episode Extra 2

Feels like the anime gives anime Djeeta more personality than anime Gran.

Cute episode especially the kids dressed in the different class outfits.

Ferry is a ghost? What? Since when, fate episode content?

Grexeno

Sorry for your ineptitude
Oct 25, 2017
Beastars 05

CILoniUl.jpg

Big mood

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
Ergo Proxy
Another weird, experimental, somewhat incomprehensible, up its own ass anime from the 2000s. I liked it. Although, the structural problem and exposition style this series has makes it hard to connect all the separate hints together.

Lexxism

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Wotakoi Episode 1-2

Holy shit. This is so damn good. I don't know why it took me this long to watch it after putting in on my watchlist.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon: The Power of Us (Sub)

Been on a huge Pokemon kick for obvious reasons so I decided to watch this. And before I actually talk about it I want to point out that at one point you watch a Pokemon violently die during this movie??? I was in legit shock for like a few minutes and started laughing cause I 100% did not expect to see a Pokemon legitimately die in a violent way. In a flashback a Snubull gets caught up in an explosion and you watch as it overtakes it. I know Pokemon have died before in the series but you usually can't pinpoint the exact moment it died lmao.

Anyways this was a weird movie. It focuses a ton on random new characters it introduces even over Ash. He probably only has like 30% of the screen time. None of them were really bad but none also really got full time to develop and everything was basically an on and off switch for some "here is me getting over my obvious character flaw." Ash was just kind of here, doing the battling thing and convincing people Pokemon would help them.

Plus there are just some weird plot things. Like the girl who tried to get the festival cancelled because that would somehow get people to not go to the mountain where Zeraora was for whatever reason? It wouldn't have changed anything. And then there was the ever expanding gas bomb that just seemed a bit ridiculous. Zeroara's "plot" was dumb and it's just here as tradition of having the mythical pokemon.

There was some decent bit of animation in the few fights with Zeraora but too far few overall.

Was it a good movie? ehh, not really. Better Pokemon movies out there. Very skippable.

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
Bookworm 6
Seems like Main is smart enough to keep a few of her discoveries close to her chest. The shift to merchant is a smart move so she can finally open her Etsy shop with Lutz.

Dr. Stone 19
This episode looked like garbage from start to finish. Definitely meandering and mostly pointless just to stretch for the next action section of the arc and Senku's cellphone. Also, remember those two main characters from the start of the series? Looks like they are finally back sorta!

Fire Force 16
Arthur is an idiot, but the horse gag landed really well for me. The turns tho during the episode were good and the way things have been paced out have had me excited to see where things go in the next week.

MHA S4 4
Overhaul, Eri, and Mirio absolutely make this arc. There's other good stuff here, like the Nighteye/All Might story, but it's just not as good as that trio.

PsionBolt

Oct 27, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure - 39

o4mcRkRl.jpg

It's finally here, huh? Everyone speculated about it when we first saw Elena, then doubted it after Touma's episode stopped halfway, but they went for it after all. An episode of Precure that calls out racism. They could have gone a bit more literal at some points to really drive home the point to the kids watching, but taking the angle of feeling different and isolated does give it a relatable core that probably speaks to kids better than simple didacticism. Still, slipping in lines directly quoted from Martin Luther King Jr. was about as on-the-nose as you can get to those who recognize it, so there is that!

ST continues to excel in flashbacks with great imagery to back up the emotional core of the scene. The black-and-white / colour dichotomy captures Elena's feelings of isolation very well, and as a bonus creates a nice parallel with the silhouettes in Tenjou's flashbacks. I appreciated that the monochrome imagery wasn't used just for sad Elena, but also other kids, and that in some shots she's the only person in colour instead; it ties in well with the final speech about differences being the way people shine.

Tenjou is still the least well-sketched villain this season, and Elena is still the least well-sketched Cure, but this was a step in the right direction for both of them. Can't complain about that.

Sterok

Oct 25, 2017
Star Twinkle Precure 39

Tenjou is long overdue to get any depth. Seems like racists laughed about their racism on her home planet, thus she hates smiles. Works I guess, but a little less ambiguity would help. She doesn't have the worst disguise, but Madoka should have seen through it faster. Doesn't help Tenjou that her plan switched from steal Fuwa to break Elena for flimsy reasons. I have always seen the two as rivals, so this helps confirm that. Elena got some nice moments with her own insecurities for standing out when she was young, but not enough. Thankfully this probably isn't her last episode. The mighty Precure, Space Warriors, defeated by cellphones. Next episode looks hype.

Master Milk

Oct 25, 2017
anyone watching psycho pass?

i was about to complain about how much o a sausage fest it's become, but the end of ep 3 convinced me to wait a week

i really like these double length episodes

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
We Never Learn is a fascinating example of how polling the fanbase works in manga. The first popularity poll had a surprise result of who was the most popular character with the joke love interest of the teacher winning by a narrow margin. This resulted in her getting dramatically more time in the manga and she ended up crushing the other love interests in the second popularity poll.

Oct 25, 2017
We Never Learn is a fascinating example of how polling the fanbase works in manga. The first popularity poll had a surprise result of who was the most popular character with the joke love interest of the teacher winning by a narrow margin. This resulted in her getting dramatically more time in the manga and she ended up crushing the other love interests in the second popularity poll.
The teacher is a joke interest? What, only her and Kominami are the viable and relevant outcomes for Nariyuki, the rest of the characters shouldnt even matter. Even the little brother and sister approve of Mafuyu.

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
The teacher is a joke interest? What, only her and Kominami are the viable and relevant outcomes for Nariyuki, the rest of the characters shouldnt even matter. Even the little brother and sister approve of Mafuyu.
The kids approve of every girl. Kominami was clearly introduced to be the darkhorse candidate but was overshadowed by the teacher. The writer intended Fumino to be the front runner early on though she's slipped down the polls drastically as things went on. Uruka is the childhood friend who has always been interested in the MC and gets a lot of story attention.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Ergo Proxy
Another weird, experimental, somewhat incomprehensible, up its own ass anime from the 2000s. I liked it. Although, the structural problem and exposition style this series has makes it hard to connect all the separate hints together.
The 2000's (pre-financial crash) anime industry certainly looks like a crazy time from the perspective of 2019. The idea that (someone) spent money financing 23 episodes of Ergo Proxy is wild. Then again that's the same decade that gave us Texhnolyze so apparently they had money to burn back then.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
The 2000's (pre-financial crash) anime industry certainly looks like a crazy time from the perspective of 2019. The idea that (someone) spent money financing 23 episodes of Ergo Proxy is wild. Then again that's the same decade that gave us Texhnolyze so apparently they had money to burn back then.
Or Paranoia Agent. Or Boogiepop Phantom. Even Fullmetal Alchemist 2003 and Digimon Tamers have that weird experimental 2000s anime vibe.

Moara

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
A teacher is a main love interest? How is that not creepy af

KCS

Oct 27, 2017
Assuming Mafuyu isn't the ultimate winner, I wonder which will be the bigger shitstorm between that and whoever wins in the Quints manga.

Oct 25, 2017

I feel like the infusion of cash by streaming services and foreign companies has led to a quasi-return of the wild funding for whatever atmosphere of the 2000s. Why is Netflix paying for stuff like B: The Beginning and Hero Mask? How are old manga like Blade of the Immortal and manga with unusual subject matter like Vinland Saga getting (re)adaptations? Who is paying for 24 episodes of Fairy gone? (Does anyone remember that that show is still a thing?) Somehow Yuasa is getting money to always be juggling multiple simultaneous projects. Even Gonzo, one of the kings of Western-funded 2000s productions, is in on the action again with things like the Netflix 7 Seeds series. There's quite a bit of dubious quality being funded, to be sure - and to some extent the extent of demand for content in itself hurts the ability to deliver quality - but there is sure is a lot of all sorts of random anime being made today.

ibyea

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like the infusion of cash by streaming services and foreign companies has led to a quasi-return of the wild funding for whatever atmosphere of the 2000s. Why is Netflix paying for stuff like B: The Beginning and Hero Mask? How are old manga like Blade of the Immortal and manga with unusual subject matter like Vinland Saga getting (re)adaptations? Who is paying for 24 episodes of Fairy gone? (Does anyone remember that that show is still a thing?) Somehow Yuasa is getting money to always be juggling multiple simultaneous projects. Even Gonzo, one of the kings of Western-funded 2000s productions, is in on the action again with things like the Netflix 7 Seeds series. There's quite a bit of dubious quality being funded, to be sure - and to some extent the extent of demand for content in itself hurts the ability to deliver quality - but there is sure is a lot of all sorts of random anime being made today.
Is Fairy Gone good?

Man God

Oct 25, 2017
A teacher is a main love interest? How is that not creepy af

She was intended as the foil of the series. The long and short of it is that the MC is a poor, industrious student who achieved good grades in all subjects despite being a terrible student by working hard everyday. He is offered a scholarship if he can tutor two (later three) of the school geniuses who are terrible in the subjects they aren't great at even though that is what they want to go to college to study. The teacher who becomes the joke love interest was their first tutor and wanted them to give up on those subjects and study what they were good at and the three of them had a falling out.

The teacher's arc, established before she got crazy popular, is that she was a genius herself who gave up the thing she was good at to pursue what she loved, teaching, and the grief society and her family gave her caused her to be bitter along with her usual taciturn and seemingly cold manner made her not the best teacher, at least not for the two girl geniuses. It's also established or at least hinted at very early on that the reason she loved teaching so much was that the MC's dad was her favorite teacher and always preached working hard at doing what you loved.

There's always the troubling power dynamic, though because the MC is an MC in a rom com he's the one with most of the power in the relationship so it's a bit reversed, and the age difference isn't that severe, the MC is 17 or 18 and the teacher is in her mid 20's. It's still clear that while the teacher had a redemption arc and was set up as a foil, she was not clearly intended to be a real love interest (she doesn't think of the MC as anything other than an admirable student trying his best to tutor these girls who are hopelessly in love with him) but her interactions and increased popularity have turned her into a serious contender. She killed everyone in the second popularity poll.

Status
Not open for further replies.