• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 25, 2017
Space Dandy 22-26

Finally watched the last bunch of episodes I hadn't gotten around to before. Nothing can compare to the pinnacle that is episode 21, of course, but there are some interesting elements, such as Kameda's charismatic rough linework in the dancing episode and Toh Enjoe's quirky-but-not-as-mind-binding-as-you-might-think dimension-clashing twist on a standard tale of past romance. I appreciate that the last episode decided to be ambitious enough to try to tie the whole series together, which is a tall order when you're dealing with a wildly episodic anthology series. You can't really create an effective emotional climax from a narrative perspective with a series like this, but there were some neat bits of flashy effects and background animation. I did appreciate the twist that the spectral skeleton Admiral Perry is in reality just some ordinary looking old man.

So yeah, this is a good show on the whole. It's too bad more won't be made, but hopefully we can still see more similarily open-ending anthology projects, even if such a comprehensive industry-wide collection of talent as Space Dandy was able to collect is unlikely to be replicated.

Wood Man

Oct 30, 2017
CgQ0yY8.png

Knew I wasn't going mad.

Dropping this show. How dare it lie to me and try to make me look silly!

I was confused by this. Which "American" was he referring to? The string dude I've never seen before?

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

SilentPanda

Nov 6, 2017
Earth
i am not talking about that, the altered head gear only prevent people from log out when passing out.
the headshot was very big, it should instant death, so even healing won't do anything.

She has enough hp, same reason that the same gunthat hit llen takes out 80% of her hp, only took out 20% of M in the first squad jam

The game is an rpg that player diatribute stat point in

Chase

Oct 25, 2017
The Great Passage 8-9
The 13 year time skip caught me a little off guard. Often find that time jumps are more effective for adult characters when they really age them physically. Got a new cat that looks like the old cat.

With a time skip brings new characters and Kishibe adjusting to the group and learning her love for words was very enjoyable. I like how the one mistake of missing a word immediately creates the paranoia of there being several mistakes.

No he's not in that arc, or the main series in general.
Captain Celebrity will not be denied. Filler episode cameo when.

Baka_Bishie

Oct 26, 2017
Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan 10
I don't really know what to think about Hisone & Masotan anymore. In another of what feels like a disproportionately large number of high-quality productions that seem relatively straight-forward on the surface with but are actually filled with problematic, if not regressive, views on gender politics and the roles of women (e.g. The Ancient Magus' Bride, Violet Evergarden, Darling in the FranXX), Hisone & Masotan feels like it's either being written by someone who seems to regard the idea of women being able to balance work and family with the utmost disdain, or Okada's simply the biggest cynic of that movement I've seen in some time.

The whole narrative conceit being framed around our D-Pilots being forced to commit themselves to their job against their will at the machinations of people who view their personal lives as less important than the task they've been appointed makes for a depressing and morbid take on what I imagine is a relatively significant problem affecting a lot of people. It's not only that Okada is unsympathetic in her narrative construction, but that it's all diffused through effective comedy to mask just how awful things really are for our protagonists. It's just a show that has made me feel worse every time I watch an episode week-to-week, and I've very little motivation to continue watching the last two episodes because it's just a soul-crushing experience that doesn't seem to have any larger point to make other than "look at this awful situation, isn't it crap?" Yeah, I've bailed on all the rest that pulled that trick this year, maybe I should just walk away from this one, too.

My Hero Academia 49
While I'd argue there were a number of questionable decisions made in the first half or so of the episode from a directing standpoint (it felt a little too by-the-numbers, didn't feel like it really communicated the gravity of what was happening in the episode as a whole), the final moments of their fight really came together well, as did All-Might's message for the future. I'm intrigued as to where exactly they plan to take the episode's major revelation in regards to Shigaraki, but I get the feeling the rest of the League of Villains will now be the main driving force for the remainder of the season, in and around other school activities. I just hope that future episodes of this magnitude take more care in adapting the source material, because this episode simply wasn't as effective as it could've been.

GeGeGe no Kitaro 12
A decent conclusion to the the last episode, but because that one ended up packed with all the social commentary, what we were left with here was mostly non-stop action as our heroes rush to rescue Kitaro and end the tanuki occupation. As far as action goes, it's some of the nicest we've seen from the series, though due to how much of it there was, it was not terribly consistent. Toei can make some nice looking action sequences, and I appreciated just about everyone being given a moment to shine, but it did feel like it lacked a little substance in the end (the questionable amount of time dedicated to the rough-looking CG kaiju monster at the end did not help). I'm curious what the tease regarding Mana means for the future, but as an action-packed conclusion to this first cour, I'm relatively pleased how things ended. GeGeGe no Kitaro on the whole has been much better than I expected it would be, though I don't know how long I'll stick with it going forward. Still, I'd easily recommend these first twelve episodes to anyone; it's a smart show that knows how to make a classic format relevant for a modern audience.

Caligula 11
I wouldn't say Caligula's fallen apart the way some shows have this year, but its descent from its excellent beginning to the mediocrity its comprised of now has been sad to watch. I'm still convinced there's several episodes worth of information that's simply missing from this show, but even if the answers about that were more clear, I don't think it would significantly improve the experience. The trouble is that the answer behind what created Mobius and the circumstances that made everyone arrive there weren't really as interesting as the ones they had once they started to piece together the mysteries around their existence and forced themselves to face the ugliest parts of themselves they'd repressed by coming to Mobius. The first half of the show understood that very well; after all, it's a formula that continues to work in other media considering the continued popularity of the Persona series, but Caligula reached a stumbling block once that was over, relying on a "return to reality" concept that is about as formulaic as they come. The finale might be able to pack a couple of surprises, but I'm expecting this show to end on a played out note instead of the breath of fresh air it started as in its initial arc.

Uma Musume: Pretty Derby 13
After all the drama surrounding Spe-chan and Suzuka's personal goals in the last couple of episodes, it was nice to see most of the cast come together for what amounted to a big victory lap for the whole show, giving us the cathartic final race between Spe and Suzuka that's been teased since the beginning of the show. Everyone got a little moment to themselves without it feeling over indulgent, and the race itself was really exciting knowing just how talented every racer in it was. And the little tease at the cycle continuing anew was nice as well, since the Trainer just needed that spark now that he had nothing more to offer his team that they had reached their pinnacle. This has been such a fabulous show, more so given its pretty much the only one that has improved since its strong start rather than fall apart as so many I've been watching this season have done. Pretty Derby will definitely be making my list come year's end, and I can only be thankful to Cygames that despite whatever fate awaits the mobile game, the concept was allowed to come to fruition in anime form, because it came together so well. A real gem this season, and one that'll I'll be treasuring all year long.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5A 11

Again, anything the game did exceptionally well is just done a lot worse here. Makoto's awakening was fantastic in the game. Falls flat here. Didn't even do the stomp.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Megalobox 10-11

Daaamn when the shackles came off mid fight was so good. I'm not sure if the mob guy is satisfied or what. He's statement wasn't exactly clear. Nanbu is a real one.

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Megalobox 10-11

Daaamn when the shackles came off mid fight was so good. I'm not sure if the mob guy is satisfied or what. He's statement wasn't exactly clear. Nanbu is a real one.

Pretty sure he's done. He can't control Joe without Nanbu and Nanbu's no longer of any value to him. Also ties back into the scorpion metaphor that was laid on pretty thick the past few eps as Fujimaki realized he was wrong about a man's ability to change his nature.

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Major 2nd 10-11

I'm not sure why I still get surprised with how much I am enjoying this show. This is the first real full match of the show and it's a been great which I should have expected since everything before was great too. Enough drama and surprises to keep it entertaining. Excited to see how it ends (I am assuming) next week.

Oct 25, 2017
Mementos
Seirei no Moribito, if that counts.

Has some of the best fight animation and one of the best female leads (an adult woman fyi). However, there isn't terrible much fighting overall so I wouldn't call it a fighting anime.
Oh wow you didn't tell me this anime has one of the best art styles of any anime. I'm not going to watch Kill la Kill or Soul Eater because of their art. Who's the artist in this show, this is great!

effingvic

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't watched the last 5 episodes of HisoMaso. Is it worth catching up? From a scale of Franxx to Umamusume, where does it currently stand?

Narag

Oct 25, 2017
Space Battleship Yamato 2202 7

Surprised how much of this show has been a vehicle for Kodai so far. He's basically the cipher for everything going on. It's also fairly heartbreaking just how much he wants to live up to Okita and his promise to Starsha and how he appears to be unable to reconcile all of this. Hopefully, Hijikata takes over captain duties so Kodai doesn't have to bear all the burden much longer.

It's a goofy comparison but the last time I was this surprised about a character getting this sort of development was Yukimura in Sengoku Basara's second season.

Space Battleship Tiramisu 9
v4PfGZ5l.jpg

Gegege no Ktiaro (2018) 11-12

That was a fun two-parter. I'd wanted them to get back to the main plot stuff that seemed to have disappeared during a fairly episodic run but uhh now I regret that. Assuming Mana's some sort of magical sink atm which might be amusing given her name. At the very least, I imagine she'll have more agency going forward since she seems like one of the crew at last.

Jexhius

Community Resetter
Oct 25, 2017
Dragon Pilot: Hisone & Masotan 10
I don't really know what to think about Hisone & Masotan anymore. In another of what feels like a disproportionately large number of high-quality productions that seem relatively straight-forward on the surface with but are actually filled with problematic, if not regressive, views on gender politics and the roles of women (e.g. The Ancient Magus' Bride, Violet Evergarden, Darling in the FranXX), Hisone & Masotan feels like it's either being written by someone who seems to regard the idea of women being able to balance work and family with the utmost disdain, or Okada's simply the biggest cynic of that movement I've seen in some time.
[...]
In the case of Mari Okada, based on what she's written in the past and said in interviews, I have to imagine it's largely cynicism that frames her worldview. Not that the origin of those ideas really matters that much, what's more important is that the series as a whole sends out extremely regressive (as in, going backwards about a century) views on women and their place in society.

phaze

Oct 26, 2017
Sagrada Reset robbed.

Have they done 2 long running shows concurrently before ?

---------------
re: Hisomaso. I would refrain from too early condemning the show as it seems to me very likely that Hisone, being the main character she is, is being reared and prepared to break through the so far presented views and framework of piloting dragons. I don't think this show has it in it to pull some downer ending so; the incoming Okada drama not withstanding, in the end love&etc will triumph all.

Last edited:

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
Didnt like the design tbh the boys are much cuter in the manga..

In this phase Araki's art is at the cutest.. the face is round and everyone look like a girl.

fertygo

Oct 25, 2017
On topic of HisoMaso I agree with Liborek on twitter its a reflection of what the women facing on japan work culture not an endorsement.

AlsoZ

Oct 29, 2017
On topic of HisoMaso I agree with Liborek on twitter its a reflection of what the women facing on japan work culture not an endorsement.
Also, why do some people want to make themselves seethe over the show for a message it's "supposed to have" before it's over? Maybe the final resolution of all these issues is more optimistic about the work/love situation.
If not, then sure, it's pretty bleak,

Ascheroth

Oct 25, 2017
Ascheroth
What you got on the radar for the next season?
Hm, not much yet, actually. I haven't really looked much.

I'm most excited about Planet With, an original anime written by Satoshi Mizukami, who hasn't written a single bad story so far. (I've read Lucifer and the Biscuit Hammer, Sengoku Youko and Spirit Circle and they're all amazing).

Then there's:
Overlord III
Sirius the Jaeger
Hataraku Saibou
Grand Blue
I assume AoT will be good too, but I've yet to finish Season 2.

...And I just saw Angels of Death is getting an anime. I have the game on my Steam wishlist, maybe I'll buy it in the summer sale. I think I heard good things about it from our resident horror game encyclopedia Dusk Golem.

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone else think we've got a pretty good Fall Season coming?
What makes you say that, seems like every other season, sequels.

Fairy Tail the final arc
Index 3
Tokyo Ghoul:Re the 2nd half
SAO season 3
Ace Attorney s2
JJBA s4

Obligatory sports anime: Hinomaru Zumo

The obligatory lolicon show: Uchi no Maid ga Uzasugiru!

Video Game Adaptation: Ingress & Conception

Status
Not open for further replies.