• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

xEik

The Fallen
Nov 17, 2017
Principality of Catalonia
What about Love Live?
sample-6eccee2e0b3eb55681a794b6286c2f02.jpg
If I wanted idols in the mecha series I watch, I would watch Macross. :)
Do you remember Love Live?
I'm actually watching the original Macross currently. So far, Lynn Minmay sucks.

Last edited:

DNAbro

Oct 25, 2017
Persona 5A 14

That was a pretty lazy new opening. You really just going to reuse shots? I'm half hoping it will be like the first opening where the real one comes later. Song was okay though. And shout out to P5A misspelling Skull. Also weird pseudo recap stuff in this episode. I get that this is the start of a new season but it felt completely unnecessary. There was also a Catherine reference and I don't remember there being any in the game. Nice adaptation of Makoto's Confidant. Only way it would have been better if they made her the canon girlfriend. Also same ending? Lame.

At least the Futaba arc starts next week.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Persona 5 the Animation - 14

This anime's just trolling me now. Two confidant episodes in a row?! And this one's half a stealth recap to boot?! I NEED MY FUTABA DAMMIT.

Can't really complain about the content of the episode, Makoto's confidant was always pretty good stuff and it was nicely handled here. But still. Less stalling and more Futaba please. At least we got a teaser at the end of this episode.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
That Franxx ending was pretty lulz. Sorta sad that it went from bad to not even good type of bad after episode 14 on Earth.... =/

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Darling in the FranXX 24 END

Timeskips are cool. I like the beautiful new world full of hope. Not a bad ending, all things considered.

kayos90

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Pacing in Franxx was way too rushed in the second half. They tried to do a second half in 1/3 and the middle part after taking over Gran Crevasse took too long.

Xita

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I'm seeing a lot of comparisons to Guilty Crown over Franxx's crash and burn but I at least finished Guilty Crown.

I did not finish Franxx.

javac

Oct 28, 2017
Review: Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms (Film, 2018)
A5B0vpq.jpg

At almost 2 hours long you'd think that Maquia: When the Promised Flower Blooms would have more than enough time to comfortably tell its fairly simple story without feeling both jumbled and disjointed and yet the pacing felt both frantic and rushed and in many ways by the end I felt like I had just watched a TV compilation, a little harsh but the sentiment rings true. Without divulging too into story specifics the film revolves around Maquia, a young girl belonging to a tribe made up of people that live for centuries, they live secluded from the rest of the world, spending their days weaving, the cloth they produce containing their memories and stories. Maquia is both timid and shy, typical traits for a protagonist within this type of story, and of course there's another girl who's both brash and outgoing, somebody that Maquia herself looks up to, envious of her carefree nature. Early on Maquia is told by the village elder to never wander outside the village and that if she ever does, to never fall in love because the fact that she'll live on for centuries would mean that the people she meets along the way will inevitably die long before she does, leaving her alone. The characters live a peaceful and tranquil life but that tranquillity is quickly disrupted when their village is attacked and Maquia is separated from the people she's spent her whole life with. Assuming that everyone's been killed she sets off to survive alone but in the desolate woods she hears the crying of a baby, and through circumstances she takes the infant as her own, her journey through motherhood begins.

Mari Okada's directorial debut is clearly tackling an important topic, with what it means to be a mother as a cornerstone, among the fighting and action motherhood and all it pertains is the focus. Because of this, character interactions are the draw, it's a shame then that the film relies too much on talking and less on showing, Okada's background in screenwriting clearly taking precedent here. Rarely does the film allow its visuals to speak for itself, in fact characters almost never shut up and it's unfortunately very typical of these over-sentimental and melodramatic works, and this is a continuous trend throughout the film. Overwrought and theatrical the audience is often told how to feel without any of the work being done or any of the effort being put in, you're catapulted through the relationship at breakneck speed to the point that I found it hard to truly care or believe that the interactions were genuine. That's not to say that I couldn't resonate with any of it, in the end the core tenets, motherhood and parenthood is important and something that I hold dear, which is why I wanted to like the film more than I did. Truth being told, a few scenes did elicit a response from me and in the end some scenes worked better and were more effective at building the world and its characters than others, but these scenes are few and far between.

Visually the film is pretty, character animations are nice and backgrounds are detailed, colourful and varied, although some of the CG stands out. Annoyingly a few characters look almost identical and the main character herself looks really dumb which took me out of some of the more serious moments, although you could argue the juxtaposition is intentional, Maquia after all being a young girl that's forced into an adult world. Whilst the visuals are ultimately a draw, the music was for me utterly forgettable, the talented Kenji Kawai was unable to muster up a memorable melody and I for the life of me cannot remember a single piece. The world itself is interesting enough, filled with medieval architecture and huge open fields but the world building itself is wafer-thin and there's nowhere near enough to grasp onto in this department. Early on I thought that the shot composition was strange and inefficient at depicting the necessary information but it improved as time went on and overall it's a pretty film but nothing too remarkable.

As the credits rolled I felt apathetic to what I had just watched, both generic and predictable, Maquia has its moments but I never once felt invested in its story. Not only did the tension and action feel forced but I feel that the film itself would've benefited from the removal of all the secondary plot points, but even then the mediocre writing wouldn't help matters. I may sound really down on the film but it wasn't offensively bad, but both inoffensive and generic it's not something I'm going to be revisiting nor thinking about any time soon. A simple but fairly interesting story on paper bogged down by a rushed and forced third act, nicely animated and colourful there might be enough here for some but the story itself is ultimately uneventful with the drama missing the mark.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hyakuren no Haou to Seiyaku no Valkyria 1

I guess this is…relatively distinctive as isekai shows go? The whole adoptive family members thing is certainly unique (even if it effectively just seems to serve as a means of harem-building) and the focus on politics, large-scale battles and conquering entire tribes isn't something you tend to see much of in isekai shows.

Oh, and I like the part where the main character's main advantage in this new world is the fact that he still has a functioning smartphone…and unlike a certain other show that used that as its entire premise, he actually makes proper use of it, using the internet to look up numerous era-appropriate new technologies and strategies to introduce, and even using it to phone home to his original world!

Unfortunately, despite all these unique selling points, at the end of the day this still just feels like a boring isekai show. The protagonist is about as generic as they come, and I can't say any of his harem are especially appealing either. And the way they're structuring the story just feels bizarre; it's like we've been dropped right into the late-game or even post-game of the plot, where the protagonist has already solved almost all of his immediate problems, built himself an entire harem and conquered most of the world around him. I don't know if they're planning to go back and cover how he got to this point, but either way it's a very odd choice.

Conclusion: There's not enough here to hold my interest. Dropped.

Just D

Oct 26, 2017
A Place Further than the Universe: 10

Kimari's sleep talking is wild. Good episode for the group as they tried to convey the feeling of friendship to Yuzuki. Actually tried to make them sign a paper, it really showed how much experience she doesn't have with friendship and how desperately she doesn't want to lose the group once the trip is over. Friendship can mean a lot of things to different people from the feelings to the type of interactions they have and by the end of the episode think Yuzuki has a better grasp on that idea and feeling. Also, surprised Kimari still in contact with Megumi, thought she wouldn't have texted til the trip was over.

Steroyd

Oct 27, 2017
Incestkai - Fakecest - 01

4! Four isekai ha. ha. ha.

So Master Ragnorok of the too long name to remember, is another Insekai show, but to differentiate itself from the pack instead of just slavery this time the clans have titles of either child or little sister with the leader a.k.a our protag, who gets the lovely title of papa, oh Overlord please grace me with your presence soon, my faith in the genre is deader than dead right now.

Oct 25, 2017
Summer anime thread will be ready either later tonight or tomorrow, we needed to wait for Franxx to end so we can never speak of it again in the new thread.

cnet128

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hataraku Saibou 1

I have seen the ultimate form of cute. And its name is…platelets.

No, seriously. Anime has succeeded in turning fucking PLATELETS into cuteness incarnate.

This show is pure and wonderful.

Just D

Oct 26, 2017
A Place Further than the Universe: 11

So Hinata's backstory was revealed. Her old teammates were foul for making her feel like that. Couple of mixed feelings on some parts of the episode tbh but the final scene was more or less pretty good. Hinata seemed pretty happy her new friends had her back like that and Yuzuki acknowledging the friendship was funny.

GeeseHoward

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Darling in the FranXX

Profoundly stupid

Probably the worst series i followed to the end, should have dropped it after 6

Planet With

Very interesting premise from one of my favorite authors, loving the designs and sound effects aswell. The one show i'm most hyped for thiss eason

Deku_o4a

Oct 27, 2017
Boku no Hero 51
Mineta was so fucking funny this episode. They portrayed him extra perverted and creepy this time. More of that please.

Xe4

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been thinking about watching The Twelve Kingdoms since I've heard it's now streaming, the art style intrigues me, and I've heard good things about it. The only thing is I don't like isekae so I'm naturally hesitant. Is it worth checking out?

NaDannMaGoGo

Oct 25, 2017
So I've been thinking about watching The Twelve Kingdoms since I've heard it's now streaming, the art style intrigues me, and I've heard good things about it. The only thing is I don't like isekae so I'm naturally hesitant. Is it worth checking out?

Certainly worth checking out and it's nothing like the recent Isekai anime, as you'll see.

Though I did eventually drop it (but that was like 20 episodes in or so).

daveo42

Oct 25, 2017
Ohio
HisoMaso 12 END
I enjoyed bits of the ending, though the overall story is quite disappointing and borderline disturbing with everything surrounding the ceremony. Especially considering that while tradition dictates needing a Miko to perform the ritual, it can literally be done by anyone and that a ritual sacrifice is still considered the best option in the 21st century and that the sacrifice means toying with the emotions of everyone involved. That's some serious bullshit.

I wish this was more like the original premise of just a separate Defense Force that pilots dragons without the need to focus on some ritual or deal with everything that comes with it. I still liked it by the end, but disappointed with how the second half of the show played out.

Oct 27, 2017
Definitely.

It is one of the best animes I have ever seen because it has a cool world and lore. Though don't expect a real conclusion because the story continues in the novels the anime is adapted from. The main character is also not that likeable at the start of the series but she does get very likeable after like 5 or 6 episodes. She is one of the best female characters in anime with how much she grows and becomes a badass and is up there with Balsa from Moribito as the coolest female characters in anime.

To expand on what I mean with the no ending thing, the anime should have ended at episode 39 because that is the best and most satisfying place to end it if they weren't going to adapt the rest. Think of the rest of the episodes as an OVA about another kingdom because it feels like a side story that doesn't have much to do with the main story and is only there to help the world building.

So yes you should definitely watch it.

petran79

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Greece
OG Aggresive Retsuko, the one with the 100 90 second episodes, turned out much better than the Netflix series. Despite the shorter episode length it is funnier with more and funnier characters and more extreme scenarios. I wish they'd adapt some of it to Season 2 at least. Short format is perfect for such a series

As for Hisone, I'll remember it for the hilarious expressions, voice acting and that design straight out of a graphic novel. Not that common in anime anymore.

djinn

Nov 16, 2017
Darling in the Franxx END
Pretty meh ending. Too much Hiro and Zero 2, not enough on how the kids actually managed to etch out a life on a essentially lifeless planet. Ichigo and Goro end canon made this a little bearable. Ikuno getting a girlfriend but then dying first is???? Literally the only thing they could say about Futoshi is that he's still fat??? Whatever. Our collective nightmare is over.

Harusame

Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver, Canada
Hataraku Saibou - Episode 1

A great first episode for the start of this anime. Having binge-read the whole mange earlier this summer, I am thoroughly enjoying the anime adaptation so far.

The Platelets are indeed quite cute and enjoy the performances by the VAs.

Oct 25, 2017
Franxx end

Thank fuck it's over. What started out as a neat if not special mech series with a ton of potential ended with a mess of a production that was probably marred by constant rewrites leading to a massive waste of potential on all fronts from themes to characters. At least Futoshi found his happiness.

Ah well, no one will even remember this series in year, so whatever.

Who cares about Ikuno or Futoshi. I certainly don't. Both worthless characters lmao

They're worthless because that's how the writing treats them. Both had a shit ton of potential in a setting like this.

InceptionLoop

Avenger
Nov 1, 2017
FranXX 24 END

Trash. 3/10

Planet With 01

Was fun to watch, a good start. Definitely want to see what will happen from here.

Cells at Work 01

My favorite so far. Fun and funny throughout the the entire episode with some cool characters and good chemistry between them.

Deleted member 5535

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Franxx end

Thank fuck it's over. What started out as a neat if not special mech series with a ton of potential ended with a mess of a production that was probably marred by constant rewrites leading to a massive waste of potential on all fronts from themes to characters. At least Futoshi found his happiness.

Ah well, no one will even remember this series in year, so whatever.

They're worthless because that's how the writing treats them. Both had a shit ton of potential in a setting like this.

They needed to recreate those characters from zero for it. There's the potential of an apple there and the character themselves are boring.

GaimeGuy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Another

Quite an enjoyable little thriller. Very gruesome at times. I feel like the plot suffered a bit too much from Auron Syndrome, where everyone is giving the MC and the viewer the run-around instead of being straightforward about what's really happening. That's just bad writing.

Amazing OP

Status
Not open for further replies.